Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

What about Corksport? Their exhaust seems to be quality stuff, at about half the price of the cp-e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Frosty- posted:

No poo poo. Those guys are absolutely convinced you'll chuck a rod straight through the block of a completely stock MS6 if you push the gas pedal the wrong way. They've got me good and spooked.

I'm sure glad I don't read that forum, then!

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Well, I got my early birthday present the other day. I'm sorry for the lack of pictures, my kid decided to play with the digital camera and he forgot where he put it. Here's a stock image though.

Click here for the full 800x441 image.

Corksport's downpipe for Mazdaspeed 6.

The instructions for installation were 24 pages long. That includes a bunch of images, though. The removal of the stocker took FOREVER. Getting the stock downpipe out was a real bitch, even after pulling the motor mount and rocking the engine forward. Then getting the downpipe to bolt up to the catalytic converter took forever. We eventually had to cut half of the springs off of the bolts to be able to bolt it up. Corksport says they are addressing that problem and revising the design.
We finished up at about 2 am. I drive the 2 blocks from my friend's house to my house and go to sleep. The next morning I flashed to the Stage2+SF map and go for a drive. I notice a horrible banging noise when shifting or decelerating in gear. I can feel it through the seat at times. I look under the hood, and there is almost no clearance between the divorced wastegate pipe and the driveshaft tunnel. After calling Corksport, they told me to loosen the downpipe to turbo nuts, and loosen the downpipe to catalytic converter bolts, and have someone pulling down on the downpipe while I tighten everything up, to give more clearance. We did that, and noticed that to the naked eye, it didn't do poo poo to add more clearance. However, I took a drive and noticed no more banging or grinding. Derrick at Corksport was ready to ship me a new downpipe, and called me back several times to check back with me to make sure it wasn't rubbing. As I was typing this, he called for a final time.
So, after that wall of text, here's the trip report. The throttle response is vastly improved. I've sort of had to relearn how to take off from a stop because it revs so much faster that I have to give it less gas. It pulls harder and goes almost to redline. The short ram intake and Accessport help that, as well. All in all, it runs quite a bit better than stock. I can't wait to get it to a track and get some times.
So overall it's positive. The design could be a little better. The divorced wastegate pipe may be good for performance, but it gives very little clearance between the pipe and driveshaft tunnel.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Hey Frosty, looks good. I would advise against the CS downpipe. I really had a problem with fitment, and there's no flex pipe. It's more expensive, but I think I'd go with something like the CP-e piece. The addition of the flex pipe and cat would make it worth the extra cost, IMHO. That being said, Derrick at Corksport was nothing but helpful every time I called, and offered to send me a new downpipe at no charge. He said there was a revision that helped the downpipe bolt on easier to the catalytic converter so maybe that would have helped. I don't know. It's a moot point now anyway, the downpipe is someone else's problem just as soon as the dealership can sell it. If anyone in the Texas panhandle, or points nearby, mine is going for $16,500 or so.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

The divorced wastegate is sexy alright, but it's the part that was contacting the driveshaft tunnel, if I'm using the right terms. The pipe was a little too long, so I had trouble bolting it up to the catalytic converter. I ended up having to cut the springs in half, and then it still barely fit. There was no play between the DP and cat whatsoever. I think that's part of why I had so much trouble with it bumping when the engine moved. It either needed more room to move at that junction, or better yet, a flex pipe.

Here's the clearance issue I'm talking about with the divorced wastegate pipe.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I didn't have my camera, so I used my phone. A friend held a shop light while I stuck my arm down there with the phone. There's a ton of room with the aftermarket DP compared to the factory with the cat in the middle.
That is SUCH a bitch to remove, by the way.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Well I can't deny the results. The downpipe freed up a lot of power. But from a packaging standpoint, I think they could have done better. But, they're half the price so I guess you get what you pay for.
As far as that missing bolt, I'd call Corksport. Derrick was nothing but helpful every time I called, and I called lots of times.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I REALLY wish the LC and no-lift shift had come out when I still had my car! What do you think of it so far?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

gently caress me, but they're ugly. I really like the idea of a functional hood scoop for the top mount... But I just can't get past the looks. I'm sure it's just as much of a blast to drive as the outgoing model, but....

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

So things ended up working out and, alas, I no longer am in the MZR club.... Traded into the LS3 club though. :woop: Will miss the turbo kick but I can't argue with 415 ft/lbs in the new ride.

Welcome to the dark side.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Guys, I have a confession to make.

I love my new G8. But sometimes I really miss the Speed6. Like this morning, when I was taking my son to school. His school is down a really twisty road with lots of elevation changes. I drive in a sane manner out there with my kid in the car, but on the way back I get after it. The G8 does ok for what it is, but it's a fat pig. I really miss hustling the 6 along that road.

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 14, 2009

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

I didn't realize you had also made an (evil) conversion. I miss some things about the MS3 but the GXP is an entirely different, more sinister beast that I can love as much if not more. Only 800 miles so far but the LS3 snarl above 4k is just as intoxicating as 3-5k was in the MS3.

I didn't realize you got the GXP. This is the part where I say "gently caress you."
(I really do love my GT though)

I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure the MS6 with downpipe/intake/Accessport was quicker than my G8. Quick isn't everything though, especially when you've got a family and have to haul a bunch of poo poo around. The 6 just wasn't big enough anymore.

About the gear grinding, there were times I could never go from first to second smoothly. It wasn't a loud grind, it was more just a rough engagement. It wouldn't do it all the time though, and it didn't matter if the transmission was warmed up or not. Just one of those things I learned to deal with.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Can I make an admission in here?

I like my G8 ok, but I am having huge buyer's remorse right now. I want my Speed6 back :(

If I could get even close to what I own on my G8 if I sold it, I'd buy another Speed6 tomorrow.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Don't get the wrong, the G8 is an absolute blast. When the weather is good. It really sucks in winter weather, and I don't live in an area that gets enough snow/ice to warrant snow tires. I'm sure my mind will change again once the roads thaw out :)

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Kynetx posted:

Or within 6 months of getting a Speed6 again. You fickle bitch. SURE... you just stroll in here, thinking we'll take you back. Ha! You disgust me. Clean yourself up and leave.

Kinda jealous about your G8 though...

I was right. Today is a nice sunny day, and I'm happy with my car again. I really do miss the 6 though. Here's a picture in memory of it, of the day I brought it home.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

Bah, man up and fishtail around some corners and that feeling will go away. As much as I liked my MS3 the G8 is every bit as much fun, albeit... different. Your MS6 was a different sort of car... What about it do you miss?

It was really just a different sort of car. It wasn't quite as quick in a straight line, though it was close after the intake/downpipe/Accessport. But it was so much more nimble around the corners, and the AWD just felt more secure in the bad weather. We've got more ice and snow headed this way so I loaded the trunk up with 170 pounds of sand. Maybe it will fare better this time.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

I got the impression that you're still on the stock rubber; do you have summer or all-seasons? Hopefully the sand helps but there's no way in hell I would be out in this on summer tires. :)

No, they're all seasons. http://tinyurl.com/yh8fasq

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I won't argue with you. Snow isn't uncommon in this part of Texas, but it's rarely more than an inch or so and it even more rarely lasts for more than 24 hours without melting. We got over a foot this last storm and it lasted for days. Once I got 170 pounds worth of sand in the trunk the car acted much more civilized.
I'd still get rid of it for another Speed 6 if I weren't so upside down on the loan.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Frosty, I had the Corksport DP. As it got hot, it would hit the transmission tunnel and with every vibration would bump and it felt and sounded horrible. They supposedly had some sort of fix for it? Something to keep an eye out for.
The increase in power was incredible, though.

And unless you're way better than me and my mechanic friend, it will take considerably longer than an hour to install the DP. Putting it in isn't the problem, getting the stocker OUT is a loving bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Frosty, I had the same noise and I fell in the correct range for VIN and everything. I got rid of the car before it really started bothering me, but if I didn't live 65 miles from the nearest Mazda dealer, I'd have gotten it taken care of.