Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Jhoge posted:

Looking to buy a 2014 MS3 sedan, any consensus on which package I should be looking at? The iSport seems to be all I really need, but I haven had a chance to test drive all the different models. From calling arolund a couple dealerships near me, it looks like I can get a new one for around ~$18500 here in Northern California, but I haven't really pushed any salesman hard on that number. Any thoughts on whether that's reasonable?
Keep in mind that the 2015 i Sport has the center screen (with backup camera) and control system that was only available on the more expensive models in 2014. It doesn't include the navigation function that the fancy models do, but apparently all you need to do to get that is buy the SD card ($~300) and plug it in. In addition to being a really good system, it doesn't look like someone left a 1980s Radio Shack clock radio atop the dash. Same change applies to the i Touring, which is the one that is a step above. They will drive exactly the same but the Touring gets you alloy wheels and the blind spot monitor, which I've taken a liking to.

These new 3s are really great cars. I just bought this S Touring a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Eirgen posted:

That the deep crystal blue or blue reflex? Looks great. I got the titanium color but wanted the deep crystal blue color when I was buying mine. Heard from a Mazda at the NY auto show that a small amount of the deep crystal blue S touring HB were shipped earlier this year.
It's Blue Reflex; I prefer lighter colors for ease of maintenance. The Deep Blue is really nice, though. Titanium was my second choice, but the dealer managed to find this one. One of two S Touring hatchbacks in this color left in Southern California. Glad I didn't wait because for 2015, the S Touring loses the Xenon headlights. I also didn't want to risk getting a car built in a brand new factory in a foreign (to Mazda) country, since Mexico production is ramping up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How did you like that dealer? I was happy with Phillips in Laguna Hills but have considered Tustin if I pick up a new one.
This is the third car I've bought from them in 10 years. Decent sales and great service afterwards. They're so busy that I didn't even get the extended warranty spiel when signing the paperwork. I think there's a barbecue every Saturday so that's probably a good time to pop in and have a look around. They are one of the highest if not the highest rated dealers in the area, although they do repeatedly tell you that during the negotiation process.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

I understand the manual puts this car at 87 octane and that the manufacturer knows best. But at the same time I've been reading up about how this engine was built. It's a 13:1 compression ratio and the only reason regular is recommended is something to do with the exhaust headers being specially designed to allow it. When you look at the Euro models of the Skyactiv Mazdas almost all of them require a higher octane than 87 (I accounted for the difference between AKI and RON). I think Mazda probably bandaid engineered the cars for the North American market to support 87 as a marketing gimmick and you probably should really be fueling it with a higher octane.
The North American model has a lower compression ratio to allow for use of 87 octane fuel.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

MetaJew posted:

I just hate hand drying my car. There's so much surface area, and lots of crevices. Maybe I should invest in a leaf blower.
On a waxed car, just run the hose without a nozzle over the car when you're done washing. Most of the water will sheet off.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

The Carplay/Android Auto hardware is now available. Part number 0000-8F-Z34. Software update takes about 40 minutes. Hardware install took about an hour on my Miata and is not difficult at all.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Did you do it yourself or go to the dealer?
I did it myself. There are a lot of steps, but none of them are particularly difficult. All of the info that you need is in the first post here. That post doesn't mention the .100 firmware that is the latest (for North America), but it is in the download folder.

I found this video helpful for the dash disassembly; there are videos on YouTube from other people for the other Mazda models.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

dissss posted:

Apparently it's quite a lot more difficult if your hub is back in the armrest (rather than under the AC controls)
I'm going to have to do that eventually with my sister's 3. It still doesn't look all that hard to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6A5_e3ncU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

opengl128 posted:

At this point I'm conditioned to assuming its another crossover.
Correct, it's the CX-30 that is already available in Japan and Europe.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Has anyone had any issues with using Spotify via Android Auto since the update?
My Spotify icon sometimes just disappears from the main menu and I can't start it. I have to start it on my phone for it to reappear in Android Auto. I don't think this is a Mazda specific issue since it has happened in my Miata and Accord.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Charles posted:

People have posted instructions here before. You definitely do need to upgrade the USB port. Then it's a software upgrade.
You have to update the software before you install the hardware, weirdly. I did the install for my Miata and my sister's 3. The hardware was $170 on ebay and it took a couple hours for each car. It's not that bad; the instructions I found online are clear and the dashes for both cars come apart pretty easily.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

mexecan posted:

Mazda Canada replaced mine under warranty on my 2014 last year when it failed. I am not the original owner of the car so it was a pleasant surprise. There was a recall of some sort in Canada and I suspect something similar would be on offer in the US.
Yes, my sister's 3 had the screen replaced in the US. Mazda sent a letter extending the warranty for the screen around the same time her's failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve been getting phantom-touches on my 2014 3.

It’s looks like I can get an unknown used entire screen for about $200, or I can just buy a digitizer like this for $70
Mazda extended the warranty for the screen to 7 years for this issue. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166895-0001.pdf

Even if you are slightly beyond the warranty, I would give Mazda corporate a call and they are likely to cover it anyway.