Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

joey deere posted:

If the stock intake piping is quite restrictive it can make a reasonable difference. The difference between a K&N and a regular paper filter is practically nothing though. BITOG did a pressure drop test and found a 0.14% air flow improvement with a K&N over the worst paper filter.

BITOG may know about oil, but I value real world testing over lab stuff. I know I, as well as a few thousand other people, picked up 2mph and 2 tenths in the quarter as well as gaining 2mpg with a K&N in my Mustang GT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just the filter, or the whole intake? I know on the LT1 F-body, the filter alone in the stock airbox was worthless, but the whole FIPK was worth its weight in gold.

Just the filter. The cold air intake itself didn't do anything but make the filter incredibly hard to check (in the fenderwell behind the liner).

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

It seems like if you wanted a stand alone system that lets you manage every single detail and has an awesome support network you would just go with something proven like the F.A.S.T. XFI, Big Stuff 3, Motec, etc...