Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Frosty- posted:

After that, it's tires, and I want to talk about that too: It seems I've chewed through my RE050As in something like 12,000 miles. It's time for new tires and I'm looking for recommendations. Should I stick with the same tires, or are there grippier/quieter/longer-lived/cheaper/whatever tires out there that would work better for me? I'm thinking I want to move to 225/45 from the current 215/45s. Is there a significant benefit to this? I know at least it'll put the speedometer correct.

RE050As are terrible and as good as/slightly worse than new allseason tires. Going to 225/40 isn't a bad idea but seemingly at the absolute limit of what you can put on a 7" wheel.

I'm going to get a Dyson test done on Rotella 5W40 in a bit, hopefully around 4k miles so I can compare it to the M1 I had tested from before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Psylocibe posted:

Why do you say that? Anyone we've put those on at my shop has generally been pleased with the performance.

They're going on something like 6 or 7 years old now, one of the worst performing summer tires on tirerack.com's tests and flat out have no redeeming qualities. If you compare test times between any of the newer allseasons -- RE960s, P-Zeros etc you'll see the lap times, brake times and acceleration times are virtually identical.

They're old tires in an industry driven by innovation. Every year brings better tread patterns and better compounds.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Sublime Process posted:

+1. The only time my RE050As lose traction is when I stomp on the gas, and the pavements been dry when that happened. :crossarms:

Heck, if they weren't $215 each, I'd consider replacing mine once they wear down but thats $860 for four tires.. Ugh.

lighter, better and cheaper tire with similar treadlife (although its not available in 215/45, only 225/40)

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, you've certainly had your share of the Mazda Curse. Also, a 5 with a turbo would be pretty loving AI.

How much larger is the MZR than the BP?

I'm not in the MZR club yet either...but the Mazdaspeed3 is on the short list of possible replacements for the Volvo. I've been trying to read up on them for some time but gently caress, every forum I find dedicated to them is just terrible. Are there any common failure points / things to look out for beyond the shifter feel?

Some of the earlier ones had bum engine mounts that dropped the engine but it was a big recall for all of that afaik. The trannies might be dogged to poo poo, since half the people on the forum brag about flat shifting constantly.

The engine has pretty severe fuel dilution issues as well but it seems all direct injected engines, especially side injections, suffer from it. Meaning oil has to be changed often, every 3k isn't a bad idea it seems.

The windshield creaks and moans in the winter on some cars. And you can break into it by kicking the door a bit towards the engine near the door handle. Some turbos might have had bum/weak seals as well, but the jury is still out on that. Seems the seals are more than adequate unless you swap out the exhaust, in which case you might want to replace the seal as well. There's really nothing of note yet, i'm at 33k with no problems other than the engine mount recall. My windshield used to creak and moan but this winter it has stopped. The transmission is being extra lovely though and I really need to switch out tranny fluid.

As for the N/A - Turbo comparison, the turbo is a bit longer because of the fuel pump. Which is also noisey as poo poo, it basically sounds like it is making GBS threads valves.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Is it just the DISI MZR motors that have seen examples of excesive fuel contamination of the oil, or is it all MZR engines? My manual states 7,500 oilchange intervals, I was planning on going with 5000 cause it's a nice easy number to work with.

Just DISIs, it's a "thing" that direct injection engines suffer from. Gas gets injected in unburnt, miniscule amounts slip past and into the oil. Seems to be worse, as I said, with engines that inject from the side (read: basically everyone but GM) according to BITOG. Most of the Ecotec stuff seemed better against fuel dilution while Audi and Mazda seemed worse. Pure theory though, could be different now with more oil samples available to look at.

Also with BITOG, people have run it out to 6k but the fuel dilution starts getting high. Bad enough that it might not be a good long term (100k+ mile) thing.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
mine only goes to 33 :(

Just get your oil checked, 5k might be fine but it seems like 7500 is a definite no-no.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Frosty- posted:

I was under the impression the Mazdaspeed CAI was discontinued. If I were you I'd check out cp-e's parts. I have the Cobb SF myself, but those seem to be snapping bits off MS3s.

What's that about? Better to just go with the Corksport SF intake?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

The actual shifting doesn't bother me so much. It's going into gear. 2nd gear always grinds just a bit.

2nd is the largest gear you shift into at speed so its the most prone to grind. Switching fluid should fix it.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Rotella off to be tested. That is about the most black oil i've pulled out of the car by far. The amount of soot is incredible.

To Frosty:
Get the AFR log too if you can. From the stock ECU when yours is pulling timing, it should be around 9.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
XT-M5-QS

That's supposed to be the best tranny oil around but I'm not entirely sure how it will work in this particular transmission. I still want to ask around on BITOG to see whether it'll eat up the 6 speed or not. I guess it's an Aisin transmission in the car since the MS6 has one.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Report is back, Rotella blew Mobil1 away:

Click here for the full 1224x1583 image.

I forgot how many miles were on the oil, it was actually 5,500 not 4,500

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
What's the deal with that? I just ordered an SRI finally, do I need to break out the foam tape or duct tape or something?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
MS3 so I guess just run it without the bracket and things will be "fine". Does anyone know what the OD of the intake pipe is? I need to go hunting for a paper filter

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I have a hard time believing a MAF sensor could be ruined by vibrations considering that the entire thing will be vibrating like a motherfucker to begin with. I'm just going to run bracket-less or do some quality ziptie work to secure it to the engine. I don't have it yet but I'm thinking mounting it off of something to the plastic cover on the intercooler might work best. It's easy to drill into, doesn't matter if it breaks and in theory should be close enough. If you slot the connections slightly and use soft grommets to allow some movement since both pieces ought to be independent of each other.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
There aren't any NAPA paper filters that mate to the Cobb SRI, but Amsoil has one that will: EAAU4560. It's a bit longer but it will fit fine apparently.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Threw SRI on, loud as hell even in the cabin surprisingly enough. Wonderfully obnoxious and it does feel a bit better. Seeing as this is my only mod and the gas in this area is 92 or 93 octane, I shouldn't worry about planning on getting an AP at any point should I?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
mazda curse must have been lifted :unsmith:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
All Mazdas are cursed. There was a stretch for about 3-4 months that everyones Mazdas were being rear-ended or t-boned or somehow being destroyed.

And yeah, that tree was felled just from the wind today. It fell onto a shipping container -- the container was barely dented.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
What wheels would you all recommend for 17x7.5 or 17x8? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on Konig Feathers but wondering what else is out there. Trying to keep it beneath $150 a corner.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

meatpimp posted:

On the MZR front -- if I'm looking at a CX-7, how many of the MS3 mods will apply?

I'd assume not much, iirc the CX-7 has a different compressor wheel? or something different with the turbo. The engine bay might be similar enough to the 3 that you could get away with an intake, though. The thing supposedly is based off of it.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
The Mazdaspeed CAI was fixed from what I have heard. Aftermarket short ram intakes/cold air intakes (possibly?) have lovely mounting positions and can snap what they attach to off. The alternative is to just leave the intake hanging by the clamp. Someone said the MAF wouldn't like that but I don't think it really cares, even with it attached to the chassis the intake will still be vibrating just as harshly. However, I guess it could fall off so check to make sure your intake sitting on the halfshafts.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

Corporate fleet to me makes it sound like a press vehicle and i'd stay the gently caress away. Finding an MS6 for <20k with normal miles per year shouldn't be an issue and as such it isn't worth gambling on an beat to hell one.

edit:
here's a few near that zip code

edit2:
Check the sticker on the window, that looks like DoD or GSA stickers and if it is who cares, can't be all that worse than any other used MS6.

hallebarrysoetoro fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 17, 2009

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Tremek posted:

Just installed the Cobb SRI on my MS3 but wasn't aware of the bracket/engine movement breaking things. Any suggestions for the long run?

I've been running without it for a few months now and it's fine. Just make sure you check the intake from time to time to make sure it hasn't somehow worked itself loose, but I can't imagine that happening under normal conditions.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Finally have wheels and tires mounted:

5zigen ZR+520s in 17x7. Kind of wanted to go 17x8 but things get pretty difficult, offset-wise, to find anything that would work.

edit:
Was actually dropping from 18 to 17 since they still cleared and tires end up being $100-200 cheaper each time around.

hallebarrysoetoro fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 28, 2009

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I have one for the 3, it's nice and installs well enough. You can take the vacuum line off the intake though which makes it a billion times easier to install. Unfortunately Cobb's instructions never said poo poo about that and I hate to cut up the stock accordion tube to peel it off.

I also put on an Amsoil paper filter (p/n EAAU4560-EA) so in theory it'd filter near as well as the stock filter.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

quote:

SMOKE FROM TAIL PIPES AFTER PROLONGED IDLE PERIODS

Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec CX7 2007-2008 000001 209008 P/D BEFORE 2/15/2008 MAZDA6 2006-2007 000001 999999 ALL MAZDASPEED6 MAZDA3 2007-2008 000001 880368 P/D BEFORE 2/6/2008 Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms

ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / BLACK SMOKE
ENGINE / MECHANICAL / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information

Symptom and Conditions

Applicable Model(s) VINS

CX-7 JM3ER ****8* 209008 Produced before 2/15/08
MAZDASPEED6 ALL ALL
MAZDASPEED3 JM1BK ****8* 880368 Produced before 2/6/08

Some customers may experience white/blue smoke from their exhaust pipes
after prolonged idle periods and/or while driving in traffic at very
slow speeds.

This condition may be the result of the turbo's oil supply not being
able to adequately drain out of the turbo during long idle periods.

Vehicles having this concern should be diagnosed using the following diagnostics procedure.
Repair Procedure

1. Confirm that the proper maintenance intervals have been performed.

2. With the engine at normal operating temperature, allow it to idle
for an extended idle period.

Caution:
Closely monitor the engine coolant to the assure the engine does not Overheat.

3. If smoke from the exhaust is present after the extended idle period,
take before pictures of the smoke, then change the oil and filter
using 5W/40 (synthetic). After the oil change, in order to burn off
the oil that remains in the exhaust system, perform the following:
start the engine, check for oil leaks, then let it idle for 10
minutes, after the 10 minute idle period, increase the RPMs to 3000
for 1 minute, repeat idle test to confirm that no smoke returns.

A: If the smoke returns, contact the Technical Assistance Hotline
(Select option #2 for Major Assembly Authorization) with the oil
change history information, to attain an authorization for a turbo
replacement.

B: If smoke DOES NOT RETURN after the repeat idle test, NO other repairs
are to be performed at this time. Explain to the customer that MAZDA
is currently working on an improved positive crankcase valve (PCV)
system to reduce the engine crankcase pressures to allow the turbo's
oil supply to drain from the turbocharger more efficiently This fix
will be available approximately within 90 days and at that time the
oil will be changed back to 5W-30 and the improved PCV system will be
installed

so looks like rotella is that much better as it is a ghetto fix for the smoking issue

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Can you get away without accessport with an intake and a catback?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Frosty- posted:

Yep. If you replace your downpipe or move to a bigger intercooler you'll want to see about custom (or at least OTS) tunes.

Cool, thinking about throwing on an exhaust and seeing how it goes power-wise and $1000 is a bit more tolerable than $1600 to see how it works.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Tremek posted:

My engine failure does seem to be a rarer problem than all the full load + < 3k rpms = boom reports out there for the MZR DISIs - we're looking at the other end of the engine here. The car had something like 120 miles on it when I bought it... I wonder how hard it was flogged before I owned it. I'm definitely not an abusive driver, so I feel pretty justified in thinking the failure wasn't my fault. The mechanics indicated bearings between the crankshaft & conrod doing that are a result of lack of oiling, but who knows.

Spun bearing that early just means something was out of spec. Something else on the engine would have been destroyed before that if it had been abused.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Lilbeefer posted:

Anyone on AI had a blown engine yet?

Would a oil catch can help with the positive crankcase issue?

Don't idle the car forever. Or use 5W40 oil.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Looks identical to the old trunk. You can fit a golfbag in there without putting the seats down.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Finally going to go steelies -- 16" off of Tirerack seems to be the best and avoids having to pay blingtax on 18" tires in the future. They're selling 16x6.5s for $55 which seems to be a decent enough deal considering they'll mount and balance them at tirerack.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Frosty- posted:

A lot of the jerks at the various Mazda forums have been parroting that fuel dilution is a huge problem and that these engines are super-rough on oil, but I guess that's just them desperately searching for absolution when their mistreated car starts running poorly

eh, my UOA came back with pretty nasty fuel dilution

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Shoota_McG posted:

Will a 16" wheel fit over the front brakes or will I have to go to a 17"? This is the first time I've had to buy new wheels and tires for winter so I'm in new territory here. I put some cheapo winters from Canadian Tire on my Focus for under $550 but I'm guessing I won't get off that cheaply here.

Pretty sure the '10s need 17s, 16s just barely clear on the 1st gen.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

BexGu posted:

Are there any good mats that will cover the back of a 2010 MS3, and if possible the seats when they are folded down?

It won't cover it with the seats folded down but weathertech (https://www.weathertech.com) makes a pretty nice cargo mat.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Curse was lifted a year ago

:allears:

Wind normally comes from a direction that would have sent the tree down on the car. Have to hand it to shipping containers though, the thing barely has a dent on it from that tree falling on it.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I thought the 2nd gen MS3s required 17" wheels to clear the brakes? The 16" steelies from tirerack definitely fit a 1st gen, I ran them for a winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I went the other direction. It's nice having gobs of traction but at the same time you miss the completely raw nature of the car. And, the MZR is about 6000000000x the engine the EJ25 is. Torque like a diesel and since it's turbo, the minuscule redline isn't much of an issue.