Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
Fast cars are supposed to vibrate, silly. It helps to intimidate the passengers.

How is the Accessport to use? Is it similar to a full blown laptop EMS system, or is it more like an OBD2 scanner that requires you to push the same button 50 times to do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
You really don't want ANY knock retard to happen. Even if the ECU is catching it and pulling timing, you're still detonating and enough of it will make your motor go kaplooey.

Have you made any changes to the wastegate signal? Is it getting the wastegate signal from the compressor housing or the intake manifold? Running it from the intake manifold will give you more boost and less drop off at high rpm, but it'll spike like a bastard.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
I dunno man, it doesn't pull timing until your boost goes crazy. Maybe there is a failsafe that pulls timing when boost exceeds a set amount?

Also, your fuel trim seems strange... it drops off long before your boost does. You wouldn't happen to have a log that includes RPM and throttle angle would you?

Best way to see if you've been detonating is to pull all the plugs and look for little black specs on them. Mild detonation will look like little bits of pepper on the insulator, serious detonation will look like somebody ate the end of your spark plug off.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!

Frosty- posted:

-I actually managed to cross-thread and then destroy one of the bolts holding the plastic cover over the IC. My thought process at the time would blow your mind. "Hmmm, this feels like it's hosed up. Maybe if I just turn it some more..."

Been there done that. Except I did it on one of my transmission -> engine bolts.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
Give the car a few good shoves in every direction, and make sure the jackstands are making good contact on all feet. If it doesn't move when you do that, it's not going anywhere while you wrench on it.

I'm extra careful about doing that since I felt a car move a little bit while I was getting ready to pry some exhaust apart from underneath. I looked behind my head and saw that one of my jackstands was balanced precariously on 2 of 4 feet. :aaa:

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
You'll have to go with 17s, 16s won't quite fit. Make sure you get the right offset, I had the wrong one at first and my wheels stuck out about an inch past the fenders.

Sure it looked cool, but I don't want to think about all that gravel against my fenders.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

No, they're all seasons. http://tinyurl.com/yh8fasq

That tread doesn't look like it's any good at all in the winter. I really wish manufacturers would just be honest and call a summer tire a summer tire.

In my experience, "High Performance" = "1 inch of snow and you're going to die"

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
In related news, I live in western Canada and haven't seen a flake since mid December. I finally gave up on winter and swapped the Blizzaks for summer tires last weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
A little bit of smoke on hard acceleration is normal, but watch out for oil smoke at idle. There have been reports of leaking turbo seals that make it puff a fair amount of smoke after warming up.

Also, torque steer is awesome. It's like a game!