Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Frosty- posted:

The whole thread is pretty good, but that first post is just staggering. Bended.

The Mazdaspeed community out there beyond the fortress walls of AI sucks fat balls.

Car forums are ususally full of idiots, you don't need knowledge to buy cars, and even more stupid people can get high-interest low down payment loans.

Well, could anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CharlesM posted:

A modern GTX/GTR...

No, its more of a Audi A3. Bilsteins and 18" wheels do not make an offroad car in the slighest.

quote:

The suspension components were modified and items were fabricated to give us the camber and toe changes that were needed along with the track required to keep the wheels tucked inside the rear fenders without using extreme wheels or flares.

That is how you build a show car, not a race car.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I know, but I'm always hopeful.
Here's a related question though. Enkei RPF1s are 14.6lbs in 17x7 size (I thought they had a 12lb model but I can't find it). That seems pretty light for 17" size, how do they hold up to daily use though?

Besides looking OE for a Civic circa 1989, they are great wheels. Light, durable, and horrendously ugly, so not as stolen.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

These cars will probably have a reputation once they get to higher miles of killing turbos. People seem to just get in and go, cold turbos being pushed do not last very long, no matter their design, wearing the oil seals extremely fast, and not so nice on the journal bearings.

Funny thing, my 20 year-old Mazda blew its turbo from a PCV issue, but I had a failure of two parts causing the turbine oil seal to blow out. PCV systems only have issues if they can't handle the blow-by and overpressure designed into the engine, or the oil-trapping system doesn't work properly and dumps oil into the PCV valve and through into the manifold. Dumping oil through the breather line to the intake pipe is also a possibility, but none are particularly detrimental if the case pressure doesn't cause problems. Idling shouldn't produce more crankcase pressure than any PCV system could deal with, even a substandard one.

Honestly it sounds like the PCV system is dumping oil through, not overpressurizing. One can cause the other, but not always the other way around.sem

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

GTXs are a fickle beast and had some fragility in them when new, now they are usually completely destroyed by bad maintenance and abuse. Any of the really robust parts are now worn out, I wouldn't buy a cheap GTX in a million years without first checking the transmission AND transfer case oils. That said, I bought one in similar condition with a blown engine and transmission, and since I had stocked up a spare drivetrain half a decade ago, I have a running GTX with a trashed interior and $1000 left to buy in parts to get streetable. I wouldn't touch it unless you feel like buying a $2500 JDM BPT (1.8L Turbo) and transmission before you do anything else. Only some wear items are still available, and some part like shocks are completely NLA.

Honestly if you want a GTX, buy a JDM import BG-chassis Familia GTX (or GTR if you are awesome). $10k will get you 210hp with limited slip diffs and a ball bearing turbo, far exceeding what $10k into a US market BF GTX could do.

I'm actually building mine into a California Rally Series stock 4WD RallyCross car to get stomped by 15 year old Subarus.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Do you still post about racing and building that car? Cosworthless always made me smile.

The Charade was rolled in 2013 at a Chumpcar race and I haven't done much since. I built a 1978 Subaru 4WD Wagon which I sold on eBay, after that, and other than that haven't done much wrenchin' for fun since having a daughter a week after that Chumpcar race. I purchased the aforementioned 323 GTX last November and have been trying to clean it up into a usable car since. Its just about ready to drive on the street, but I rarely have time to with a full time job, big commute, and kid-sitting on the evenings and weekends. I just started as employee #1 at a local WISP I'd been a customer of, and that has kept me incredibly busy.

On the plus side, my 1988 Mazda 323 Wagon just passed its 275,000 mile mark (442,000Km), and that GTX was supposed to be a drivetrain donor to make it the only 4WD 323 GTX Wagon in the world (there was a JDM only 4WD non-turbo 323 Wagon), but I really don't want to cut up the car, I'm the second owner and haven't seen another 323 Wagon in at least a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I can't believe it's been nearly 3 years since you made that thread. Keep that car as is, it's a time capsule of excellence.

Its been a while, thats for sure. I also just munched my only good GTX gearbox, the trans oil drain plug fell out and I did my little rallycross course on my property, now the front diff bangs and 5th grinds :(