Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kynetx posted:

I recommend you Google this, but if it's the same as the 3, you drive up onto a pair of 2x4s and jack it up by the crossmember. Jackstands go under the pinch welds just like normal.

Are jackstands supposed to go under the pinch welds? I usually put them under some part of the sub-frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Not unless they unrecalled those

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like it!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That looks great. I think sticking with 17" wheels is a good choice.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Frosty- posted:

A car Mazda should have built themselves.

http://www.awrracing.com/blog/2009/03/30/all-wheel-drive-mazdaspeed3-rallye-car-concept/

A modern GTX/GTR...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well some 2009 WRXs are coming out of the factory with bearing problems or something like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Baby Hitler posted:

No, its more of a Audi A3. Bilsteins and 18" wheels do not make an offroad car in the slighest.

I know, but I'm always hopeful.
Here's a related question though. Enkei RPF1s are 14.6lbs in 17x7 size (I thought they had a 12lb model but I can't find it). That seems pretty light for 17" size, how do they hold up to daily use though?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here is one of my favorite posts ever from Clubprotege.com

quote:

iam the best driver that most every1 knows ofeven though i race everyday after school i never get tickets but i know how to not get pulled over and not get into crashes. i never come close to a crash even racing through traffic at 120 mph i can beat even 700 hp cars(1971 chevelle built for racing) in a traffic race.
He got banned eventually

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Baby Hitler posted:

Besides looking OE for a Civic circa 1989, they are great wheels. Light, durable, and horrendously ugly, so not as stolen.

Horrendously ugly, really? :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lilbeefer posted:

I dont think many wheels look much better then the standard MPS wheels. They really do suit the car, but if you HAD to go smaller, I think it would have to be T-37s, which are a bit of a cliche I think anyway.

Can anyone answer my question about small wheels? Is 17 inch the smallest wheel you can fit?

i dont have an MPS

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

the amber trap posted:

I want to join in here, but I'm not driving a Mazdaspeed anything. I am ashamed.

I do, however, adore my 2003 Protege5 dearly. Her name is Beverly and I'd show you pictures if I wasn't stuck on my ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to put the turbo guts from the 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, but I have no idea where to get them, have no experience with forced induction, and kids are expensive. (Plus, she's currently my daily driver as well as my only car, so I can't really afford to not have it running. I refuse to drive the wife's minivan into work. I hate that Odessey and can't wait to trade it in.

I love the way Bev handles, but I've recently noticed that she's a little more wobbly than I like once I get to automatic arrest speeds. That in mind, I might actually fiddle with the suspension and leave the engine bay alone, as more horsepower and torque will undoubtedly get me in significant trouble.
I've also noted that the clutch is sometimes a little lazy, especially when going into second gear. Based on cars I've owned before, this is normal. I'm not really worried about this as it doesn't happen often at all.

Also, I would hate to mislead all of you into thinking that I know more than very little about automobiles. However, this is my favorite forum to lurk in (since well before I paid my :10bux:), and I've actually learned quite a bit from you all.
I wouldn't really bother with the Mazdaspeed engine and turbo, they're not that great in my opinion. What tires do you have?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The green light is supposed to mean the auto-dimming is active. Check the two light sensors to make sure they're clean. They're on the front and back of the mirror itself. Mazda has an OEM kit for most of its cars, but those mirrors are really all made by the same company.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kynetx posted:

From my own experience, the car is a miserable bastard on factory rubber. All that yaw control and traction control are for not when you have a set of RE 050s. I hear that snow tires make it bearable. I was able to get around a little better by disabling DSC and traction control in certain situations. I just got me a set of chains so that it's driveable when we get some snow, assuming we do this year (PNW).

It's been really tame this year! Hell, sunny and 55 degrees?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No and no, I just have a Mazda 3. I want some snow too, I have nice tires on and want to try them. :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I seem to have developed a problem. My 2.3 N/A with 5 speed manual has suddenly become kinda difficult to get out of first gear, and maybe harder to get into second. It feels like it takes a lot of force, but if I let out the clutch and push it in again it can get easier. This just happened tonight as I was driving home from the grocery store so I haven't had a lot of time to test it. Any ideas? Clutch? Syncros?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think the clutch thing was kinda a fluke. The amount of effort required seems to be a bit random. I stopped by the dealer and they want to change the fluid to Redline. The fluid might not have been changed at 30,000miles like on the scheduled maintenance. I'll go ahead and do that as a first step when I bring it in tomorrow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I didn't mean it self-resolved, just that how much effort is required is independent of the clutch. Well, we'll see, it's under warranty still so...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The dealership I got it from is 850 miles away or so. It's going in to the local one tomorrow, they didn't have much time to service it today though they checked it out.

And yes, windshields on some new cars seem to be very fragile. So far my Mazda has been OK, but my family's 3 Subarus have gone through one or two windshields each!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CombatWombat posted:

I'm having a somewhat similar issue to CharlesM, granted it's relatively infrequent: my MS6 will not let me shift fully into first; it'll go halfway and feel stuck. If I let it go back to neutral and release/re-press the clutch it usually fixes it.

My MS6 is not under factory warranty, but I do have the extended warranty. Would something like that be covered?

Note: I don't abuse my car. I don't do hard launches like ever, and aside from the occasional lovely shift at high revs I don't really do anything bad to the car. So I hope I didn't cause this... :(

Well the Redline gear oil seems to be helping; they told me to drive it 100 miles for full effect which I haven't done yet. I did notice sometimes it gets stuck halfway like that to 2nd gear, like it doesn't slide into the right notch. I'm on extended warranty also now. I'll let you know how mine goes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I do want to know what you guys are using for transmission oil, I should probably change mine on the next oil change (nearing 46k).

Unfortunately it doesn't say on my receipt but my guess is that they used MT-90, a 75W90 gear oil. That's what most people were using on the forums when I checked. You may also be able to run 80W-90 since you're in Arizona, right? That's specified for climates where it doesn't get below 50oF. I do have the 5-speed though, I don't know if it's different for the 6-speed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I figured, but just thought I'd throw it out there in case it didn't.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really wanted to try out my snow tires though...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Battle Cattle posted:

What kind of crack is Bridgestone/Mazda smoking anyway? How are the lovely 190 treadwear rating tires that come stock supposed to cost MORE than the better RE760s?

the same way that RE92s cost more than RE960as

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure if this site is totally up to date but check it out.
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/

I didn't see anything like what you said but it's a long list.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't get an aftermarket sunroof.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SynMoo posted:

P0300 - Random / Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected

Fan-loving-tastic. Probably just bad gas, but I've gone to the same station for 90% of my fill ups. I've driven it way harder on way hotter days than today on this tank, so who knows.

I was in 3rd at around 3500 RPM giving enough throttle to hold my speed in a corner before powering out. CEL flashed without any noticeable shudder mid turn.

I could clear it, but I'll take it to the dealer anyway to doument the issue incase there is something more around the corner.
That and the driver's seat is loose.

I agree, I don't see any reason why you want to clear it out. You have a warranty, it's their job to figure out why it went off, not yours.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK I know this is really fussy sounding, but my driver's seat squeaks on my 2006 3. It wasn't bad for a long time but lately it does it a lot and can be annoying for passengers. I took it to the dealer, where they have a TSB for that, but I guess it's not covered under warranty as it's maintenance or something? Has anybody encountered that? I don't want to pay $160 to lube up my rails...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

the amber trap posted:

drat it. My '03 Protege5 has begun some sort of grinding noise when I hit the brakes. It's not a constant noise (meaning the grinding noise isn't steady, it sort of pulses) and I only really hear it when the car slows to about 25mph and slower.

I've wanted to upgrade my brakes anyway (they've never felt like they were grabbing enough), so this is the perfect excuse, except I don't exactly have a ton of funds available. drat it.

I would resurface your rotors, bleed the brakes and get different pads. The brakes on the P5 are pretty good, although I haven't driven on in quite a few years now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The oil filter wrench is not a Mazda special tool FYI, you can get one at Pep Boys, you just have to look up the size and spline count online.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody ever get a P0455 code (large EVAP leak)? I'll take it into the dealer, as I still have a warranty and all, but I'm just curious.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's cool, I've also read about the purge solenoid getting stuck or something. However, I pulled the codes again tonight and there is also P0171 bank 1 too lean.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well yeah... getting something for free is nice. :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No it hasn't. I have the TSB printed out. The dealer hasn't called me back yet. Fortunately I don't have a high-pressure pump on mine, I have the regular model.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK, cool. I also discovered it's very hard to start after filling up!

On the topic of synchro wear when skipping gears, what happens with GM cars with skip-shift?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SynMoo posted:

I found a set of used 17" Mazda 3 wheels on criagslist. There are several mazda3 dedicated forums. Google should give you a bunch. Also, if you want to go cheaper, many have reported that Tire Rack's 16" steelies fit the MS3 just fine. You can get a set of steelies and excellent General Altimax Arctics (rebranded Gislaved Nordfrosts), mounted and balanced, for less than $600.

What did you pay if you don't mind sharing? I have a set of 17" snow tires but no wheels. I should set up a Craigslist RSS feed, it seems like I never find the cheap used wheels other people do.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any idea how MPV wheels fit on a 3? No idea if they are the same bolt pattern, even, just saw some on Craigslist.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

Figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread...

Has anyone ever used a Sylfex Auxmod? MY WIFE just got an '03 6 2.3 and from everything I've read the adapter Crutchfield sells that lets you mount a single DIN headunit is a glorified piece of poo poo that costs $150, and all I really need to add is a line in to the stock stereo.

I have one, it works great for me. Easy to install. I didn't do the actual cable very elegantly though, I just have it hanging in the passenger footwell.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

Did you end up putting in a ground loop isolator/is there noticeable interference if you have your device plugged into a cigarette lighter?

Yes. I got a 3.5mm cable with a GLI built-in.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Would running 17s help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Autism Sundae posted:

How would you even swap the headunit in the Gen 2? It all looks pretty much non-removable.

It's actually quite easy.

How well will your stuff hook up to the Bose system? I know that some of them use different impedance subs or something.