Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You need to go to Japan to buy the JDM hooks. Ganbare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It shouldn't be too hard. Go to an online tire site for your country and look up tires for a Touring or Grand Touring 3, or whichever trim came with 17" wheels in your country.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kefkafloyd posted:

So is this thread just for Mazdaspeed folk or can us naturally aspirated chums get in on it too?

I have a regular 3 but I mostly just post worthless inane rambling. :)

As for the forums, I followed them quite heavily for a while back when I had my Protege and didn't really know about cars at all, but since coming here / getting a stock 3, I haven't really kept up. Now it seems to me like the forums are all crap or just plain dead.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Autism Sundae posted:

It's a compact hatchback though, not a family sedan. Maybe the updated interior makes it seem smaller.

On my friend's new Mazdaspeed the interior design and all those LEDs somehow make it feel more "comfy" and confined, but it is not smaller.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
sorry mate.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sublime Process posted:

Yea, after the 08.5 model launched, they became 6 disc and mp3 compatible. Not sure about regular 3's but I know the MS3's are.

Actually my 2006 has 6CD + MP3/WMA. I installed that one from the OEM accessory catalog, stock it came with a single CD audio only. 2004-2005 there was a single CD MP3 player, or 6CD CD Audio only. It's kinda confusing really, there may be more varieties of course.
edit: OHH I am talking about the 3. My bad. They should be similar but maybe not???

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

07 MS3 GT here - six disc, no MP3.

Lame!
You got shafted.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Looks very nice, take good care of it :)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Meh, I would really much rather have good Bluetooth integration. The $90 head unit I threw in my Ranger is awesome for it but I'm torn on how much of a pain it is to keep steering wheel controls / losing the (useless) trip computer, etc.

I agree, that would be nice. I thought of experimenting with putting a new head unit behind an older faceplate, but the Bluetooth controls are on the steering wheel, so there would be no way to access the functions, making it pointless.

Loss of functionality is why I bought the expensive OEM MP3 cd changer rather than an aftermarket headunit right off the bat. At the time, there were no steering wheel adapter interfaces, either. I am so used to steering wheel controls now that I hit the horn with my thumb on a rental car while instinctively going for the volume. Oops. :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't looked into how to do it in a long time but I actually want to put in a cabin air filter since one did not come with my car. I think it's possible with the right combination of parts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's good. I remember seeing threads on the 2007 Mazda 3 models where people had to go back to the dealer to get a $100 part to get full functionality out of the radio. I can't remember if it was to allow switching between satellite and aux, satellite and ipod, or ipod and aux, or any permutation I forgot. But having something like that might have been what you need for a non MD/tape deck connector.

I am thinking I will buy an iPod just for steering wheel integration, even though I am not an apple fan and don't really care to pay extra for their products. I wish there was some USB standard for controls / track display, but on the newer cars I guess they use bluetooth for that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, once you remove the controls they use the same radio module.
All Mazdas for many years have used this system, although they've added some features like steering wheel controls and Bluetooth.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Which ones have Bluetooth, and can I retrofit it into my '07 MS3 (with Bose)? It's the only thing missing in my opinion.
I'm not sure but my friend's '11 Mazdaspeed 3 has it.

I do not think it would be possible as it requires extra steering wheel controls. Also the standard controls changed a little bit, I have not tried mixing and matching units / control panels to see exactly how backward compatible they are.

Battle Cattle posted:

Speaking of the sound system, I found out last night if you hold the POWER button down, then hold down the TUNE knob (on the left) it tests your speakers individually.

There are a few hidden test options and settings like that. Actually, on the '06 3, it is possible to enable the "trip computer" function on all models instead of just on the Grand Touring. :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CanuckBassist posted:

So I'm completely safe to use cool or hot air as long as the AC button is off? Sounds good!

The defrost setting auto turns on the A/C. Maybe the foot vent setting too

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cygni posted:

Mind if I share that tidbit on other forums? Nobody has gotten a phone to stream info over BT as far as I'm aware, only from a windows laptop.

Here is the thread I've been following. There is a whole lot of confusion about the situation.

I thought my friend said his iphone does that.
edit: Oh no it doesn't. My bad.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Thref posted:

Hi, I'm looking to get my first used car to commute in; it's not a very long commute, only 11 miles, but also want something fun that I can drive around. My budget is max 6500 which I doubt will get me much in the power department, but I really like Mazda hatchbacks and would like the extra room for hauling snowboard gear, etc. I've seen some Protege 5s going for around my budget in my area (Vancouver, B.C. so probably more expensive than what most of you are used to seeing used cars go for); such as http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/2609195519.html.

Does anyone have any advice in looking at this year (2002-ish) Protege5s? Especially from craigslist? Any parts that are known to need replacing at the 100k+ mile range? Should I be looking at different models/makes for my budget? Is this the correct thread for these questions? Thanks!

That link isn't working right now, but the Protege 5 was introduced in 2001, I think as a 2002 model, so there is only a 2002, 2002.5, and a 2003 model. Maybe there is a 2001 but I don't think so. The 2002.5 added a few changes, like side marker lights, and possibly the auto transmission that lets you select gears. In Canada I think you get the smoked headlights too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Back in the day those were cables that went from the back of the CD-ROM drive directly to the sound card. It would playback CD-audio data.

like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cd-Rom-Standard-Audio-Header-Inch/dp/B000BSJD68/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317024626&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-MPC-2-CD-ROM-Audio/dp/B00006HTM1/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317024707&sr=1-1

etc.

edit: Look at the second review on the second link :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SiB posted:

I just got back from Skyactiv technical training...

Heres some propaganda.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXbLeZie5Y&feature=feedu

"MAZDAEYESONLY"?

I wonder if any other car makers will want to license this technology or they will just figure out something else.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How quickly does it shift?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

Once it responds to what your asking it to do it seemed to shift alright.

I thought I read in one of their press releases they had somehow gotten it to shift as fast as a DSG, and it's kind of noted in this review, although they had the same complaint of sluggishness, but not in the manual version.
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/mazda/2012-mazda3-skyactiv-review-video-1726.html

The compression ratio in the U.S. 3 is actually 12:1, with the CX-5 having 13:1. The CX-5 has more engine bay room for the 4-2-1 exhaust header.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, when the Mazda 6 was first introduced, you could get a manual wagon. The sales rate was about 1% or something ridiculous like that in the U.S., so it was axed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

A couple people have done it aftermarket, it's certainly doable since there were AWD Volvos on the platform.

AWD is offered in Japan in a 2.0L model.

The last time Mazda tried to sell a compact car in North America with AWD was 1991, perhaps not coincidentally the last time Toyota sold an AWD Camry here.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Could that be why I sometimes feel what I think is suspension judder that is kind of like a wheel off balance?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah, had there been a Speed6 Wagon I would have gone after that.
The head unit is a total bitch to replace because it's integrated into your clock and climate controls. Everything else is easy to replace though. Look into installing a second HU in the glovebox or under the passenger seat and run it with a remote.

I also didn't realize you could get a manual in the wagon, got a link so I can check out this beast?

Are you sure they're integrated (in the first gen)?
This pic of the interior of a 2006 makes it look like the system they used in the other contemporary Mazdas of the period, which is not integrated.
http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2012/09/26/20/48/2006_mazda_mazda6_s_sport_4dr_sedan-pic-7692165350612978153.jpeg

edit: Oh I know what you mean. The display on climate control models. Yeah, I don't know exactly how that works. Sorry.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 14, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well Mazda did give up making the wagon in stick after a while.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Apparently Costco doesn't carry battery size 26R :( . Anybody have any recommendations where I should get one? O'Reilly's was really expensive last time and it only lasted a year and a half.
edit:
These valves are supposed to have caps on them, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The missing cap only bugs me because both are missing and I know they were there before I had the dealer look at my A/C system.
I'm thinking the problem might actually not be the battery but the problem I had before with the EVAP system. I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It was just the battery. I was so tired last night I couldn't really think straight.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any NorCal owners here? Anybody go to the dealer for service?

edit: Also, for you (first gen? dunno if there is a difference) hatchback owners what do you use for a rear wiper? Last time I tried an after market on I accidentally broke the plastic wiper arm from trying to force in the blade, when it turned out the connector was too big. The stock one streaks even when brand new. Kinda annoying.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 18, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does anybody have a service manual for the 3 or even 6? I'm curious if it has some info on the radio.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What dealer do you go to? Do you like them?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My CEL that came on as I entered California has gone off on its own. I'm guessing that the gas station attendant didn't put the cap on right in Oregon (full service only state).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On the Mazdas I've done it's a bolt on the top. I can tell you for sure tomorrow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ugh that reminds me my CEL came back on. I have a code reader coming Monday though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

opengl128 posted:

Manual gearboxes are more or less sealed. To check the fluid you'd have to remove the fill plug on the side of the transmission and stick your finger in.

Ah that's exactly what it is. For some reason I thought these had a top fill. You're supposed to replace the crush washer, too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's like a dimmer switch deal, basically. I actually wanted to get a Grand Touring model but it wasn't pragmatic for me to pay that much. That, and finding a manual transmission one let alone without the moon and tunes package was impossible without custom order.

Edit by the way, my CEL was P0126, coolant temperature too low. The thermostat was bad. This appears to be a problem with the 3, at least, maybe the other models too.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 27, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

My MS3 has the same issue, on and off for the past year+ actually (I let it go because it only gets cold enough to set a CEL during the winter). I'm going to replace the thermostat finally, probably this coming long weekend.
Mine was covered by warranty. I'll have to check if it was the extended warranty or the emissions warranty (PZEV model).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm at nearly 120k so well outside of any warranties :)

I looked at my invoice and it was covered by the emission warranty. If you have a PZEV vehicle, that is good for 15 years / 150,000 miles!
edit: Well, call the dealer, Mazda might only honor it if you get it serviced in a PZEV mandated state (?). It's confusing!

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 28, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Salespeople are a good source of information.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That Hawaii plate is ironically buried under snow.

I've had my 3 seven years now! The extended warranty is officially expired.
This picture is in miles so that's 100,000 kms. Most of the miles were in the first few years I've had the car. I don't drive much at all now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Revvik posted:

Question: my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 just had the controls for the sunroof go dead on me, coupled with the environmental controls - heat, A/C, defrost, etc. Radio and lights all work.

What did I do to my car? :(

Check your fuses?