Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Bit the bullet on an 07 MPS with 22000 km (13500 mi)
I can't wait to pick it up, but have to. At least until thursday the 9th :(

It is in pristine condition, but I hope the facelift for 10MY MPS' doesn't drop the value of my new baby straight away....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Took my car on a 200 km round trip jst to get it registered. Lovely to drive, just needs new tyres. I know nothing about tyres unfortunately, but I know I want to replace the RE050s with something better.

Was looking at Falken FK-452's, any experience with these?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I read one of the US based Mazdaspeed forums for about 10 minutes before I had to stop in :psyduck:

I have not seen that much rage against vendors, Mazda and even their fellow forum users.

On a separate note, I am going skiing at the end of the month. I wont be going often enough to justify buying a chain that will fit the standard wheels. Would it be prudent to purchase some smaller steel wheels that can easilly fit a hire chain?

What is the smallest size wheel that you can put on the front?

edit: this is for a 3mps if it makes a difference

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Horrendously ugly, really? :(

I dont think many wheels look much better then the standard MPS wheels. They really do suit the car, but if you HAD to go smaller, I think it would have to be T-37s, which are a bit of a cliche I think anyway.

Can anyone answer my question about small wheels? Is 17 inch the smallest wheel you can fit?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Anyone on AI had a blown engine yet?

Would a oil catch can help with the positive crankcase issue?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Is it normal to notice a small amount of black smoke on hard acceleration? Is it just the car richening up the fuel supply, or is this a sign of a retiring turbo?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Tremek posted:

I remember grinding between first and second, but the worst was that during fast shifts from 2nd to 3rd I seemed prone to hitting the detent between first and third

I do this all the time.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Has anyone successfully seafomed their MS3? Anything I need to watch out for?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Has anyone put bridgestone RE040s on their car? I put them on about 5000 km ago. The ones I put on are a little bit wide, 235/40r18, but they were very cheap (AU$1060) and have performed flawlessly.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Just had my gearbox rebuilt under warranty by Mazda. WWONG WONG noise whenever I am driving slowly at full lock?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Battle Cattle posted:

Lilbeefer, dude who has his gearbox rebuilt, was there anything wrong with your power steering system?

Not that I am aware of... just the "wong wong" noise from the diff on full lock, which I have read cam be remedied by decent diff oil...

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

My '07 MPS has red calipers and I just realised (after a year of ownership) that I am not sure if they are standard. I hope the PO didn't paint them Fabulous Red for the sake of looking gorgeous.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Picked up my 3MPS today from the dealer after a brand new gearbox fitted. Had only done 35k km, but was making lots of noise and crunching too much. Sounds like a typical MS3 gearbox right? My dealer is awesome. The car feels new again.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I ran over a barely visible bollard today and busted my front left tyre and possibly my suspension. I could replace all the tyres but I am considering buying some new wheels and keeping the 18 inch stock ones aside for when I sell in the future.

I was thinking about some nice sporty 17 inch wheels, are tyres harder to find for wheels this size? What looks good and is also light? I don't even know where to start...

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Thoughts on Superturismo GT 17" on the MPS3? Would it look silly being an inch smaller? I am torn. They don't seem to be available in 18" and 17" is probably better anyway from a performance perspective...

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

The most acceptable colour is white -

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Lovely!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

MetaJew posted:

I've noticed this a few times on my 09 MS3 and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this/if it's normal. I have a little over 13k miles on it. I bought it from another person in town with 12k miles.

When I get home or I'm parked/sitting/idling somewhere in neutral, with the clutch engaged, I'll hear some rattling/chattering from the clutch. If I press in the pedal the sound goes away. It's not loud, but it's noticeable if you're somewhere quiet.

Is my throwout bearing going bad, or is this normal? I've done some very limited searching and found that other MS3 owners have experienced this, but I'm not sure if this is something I should take the car to a dealer for, since it's still under the factory warranty.

I had this exact problem, and my dealer said it is a bearing, so they rebuilt the gear box. The noise didn't go away, so I took it back and they were cool enough to get permission from Mazda for a brand new gear box.

The noise is still there. I have decided to just live with it. If you are lucky enough to have an awesome dealer, you may get a new gearbox out of it but it wont do anything to fix it.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I have finally decided I really need to fork out for a rear engine mount. The wheel hop is terrible, and last night I heard a very loud crack followed by a distinct burning smell coming from the engine bay.

Anyone had any experiences with Sure motorsports? Their website is pure wankery, but I was considering purchasing their rear engines mount. Would the "track" insert really be too stiff for a daily driver?

http://www.suremotorsports.com/products/r3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So my love/like relationship with this car will hopefully one day become a love relationship. I feel like I have treated this car very well since I got it, but have had a few problems crop up that makes me think it may have been in an abusive relationship before :/ About a month ago when I dropped my wife off at the front of a restaurant, as I went to park the car there was a clunk from the back whenever I would start going forward. I nursed it home, and the next day after jacking up the rear my fears were correct. The two bolts holding the front mount of the rear diff were sheared off in the diff housing. I was able to get them fixed at the dealership under warranty. I decided that I was not going to have that nonsense again, so I convinced my wife we needed to spend ~$350 on a new motor mount and diff brace. So I went with the new SURE pieces. They are stunning, and I will be installing the motor mount in about an hour. I need to allot more time for the rear diff brace. Since waffle is down, and I haven't gone plat yet, check the links for the pieces I got. Great price, and amazing(looking) so far!

http://www.streetunit.com/SURE_Torq_R6_MAZDASPEED_6_Engine_Mount_p/sure0505-1.htm
http://www.streetunit.com/SURE_Motorsports_Dreadnought_Rear_Differential_Bra_p/sure0510.htm

I will report back on the noise/vibration/harshness that comes about from them, since the SURE pieces are relatively new and untested to the market. Doing each piece separately will let me see how well each piece changes the driveline feel too.

I installed the SURE street version rmm last month and have been very happy. There was a week of harshness until it bedded in, and now shifting is much better. The inevitable crunch when changing gears has disappeared completely. one of those cost effective "why didn't I do this earlier" solutions. not having driven any SU or Cobb units, I cannot make a comparison.