Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Although I do not own a MZR, I do work on them for a living (mazda tech).
Just finished replacing a Speed6 engine, first one ever for me, almost unheard of in our shop, it threw a rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiB
May 6, 2005

Frosty- posted:

It should be undetectable. There's no way of tallying the number of reflashes, and I'm under the impression that the stock map copied when you marry the AP to the car carries it's original timestamp, so it should appear like nothing was ever altered, and I'm not even sure a dealership has the wherewithal to examine the code on the ECU anway, and an accurate timestamp isn't really an indicator of anything at any rate, so... we should be A-OK.

Speaking of my dealership anyways....... our scan tool (laptop) software is junk. We can flash a new map and see version numbers but thats it. The software we use is updated frequently and such, but we don't have much control over anything. We cannot even pick which map we upgrade it to.... whatever the machine lets us do is what gets done.

EDIT: I think I am going to buy the 2008 Speed3 on our lot.... $23k (canadian), brand new of course.

SiB
May 6, 2005

wootmachine posted:

Do it. Just be prepared to basically re-learn how to drive a manual since mine has, and some other people have said it has, a really quirky clutch.

If I find some extra play money sitting around I may pick up and Accessport.

I have driven a few of them and yes I agree on the clutch, it likes to grab for sure.

SiB
May 6, 2005
So I heard that Mazda is going to be watching large warranty repairs closer... For example if your car needs an engine and its on warranty, the dealer has to get approved to change the engine rather than just doing it. Mazda wants to approve each large warranty claim as they come, regardless of the dealer level (A, B or C dealer).
I guess they are just trying to watch their money a little closer now. So keep up on your maintenance and keep the records!

Edit: I am in Alberta Canada if that matters

SiB
May 6, 2005
It actually hasn't been standard, I just swapped a 2009 2.3 (non-turbo) because of a rather large hole in the block from #2 rod going its own way.

We didn't talk to the mothership at all, just ordered a long block through the usual means.

But anyways, do not show up with aftermarket parts and a dead engine! (ya we all know that...)

SiB fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 8, 2010

SiB
May 6, 2005
I just snagged a MS3 that was crashed, not bad really though, body work only. $2300 CAD. Not sure what I am going to do with it, we have a bunch of non-speed 3's around and an old miata... might do a transplant. I know the history of the car too since I have done most of the warranty work on it.

SiB
May 6, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Anybody ever get a P0455 code (large EVAP leak)? I'll take it into the dealer, as I still have a warranty and all, but I'm just curious.

There is an updated fuel cap that seals tighter, no biggy.

SiB
May 6, 2005

CharlesM posted:

That's cool, I've also read about the purge solenoid getting stuck or something. However, I pulled the codes again tonight and there is also P0171 bank 1 too lean.

The regular 3's are notorious for purge valves too, especially with B1S1 lean. Either way, no worries.

SiB
May 6, 2005

tonedef131 posted:

My question is that when we were test driving the 3 I noticed when you turned on the headlights a strange humming noise came from the passenger side headlamp. It wasn't an idle up, the engine stayed the same and it was definitely coming from the headlamp assembly. Is this a bad sign? It was pretty loud and if that mean the unit is on it's way out he should be aware because I assume that isn't a super cheap fix.

Are you sure it wasn't the electric/hydraulic power steering? The motor and pump is located behind/below the passenger side headlamp and its very loud. The SPEED cars do not have electric power steering.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Cygni posted:

I've been scouring the net for info on the 2012 3 refresh, specifically prices for the lineup and dates, but I haven't been able to find a thing. Asked a dealer last week and he didn't even know they were getting the SkyActiv engine in the first place.

Anybody hear a peep? I know the earthquake has delayed the roll out a bit, but it doesn't look like they will even be on lots before October.

Yes there was a delay on Skyactiv for the 3, I still have not heard for sure if the 2012 will have it.

Then I have also heard that the CX-5 will be the first Skyactiv vehicle, which should be out in January. So who knows the real answer...

SiB
May 6, 2005
So I have this hunch that the Sky Mazda3 will be here before long.... picture in next post.

SiB
May 6, 2005

And that alert is gone today....

SiB fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 16, 2011

SiB
May 6, 2005
Anybody have the new PCV system on their turbo motors? If so, does it seem to be working?

SiB
May 6, 2005
Yes it did, i'm putting one on a CX-7 right now.

New valve cover, PCV hose, turbo inlet pipe, and a couple small vacuum lines.

SiB
May 6, 2005

CanuckBassist posted:

Ah screw it. I'm just going to get the compressor replaced. I read too many horror stories of it seizing, and the belt causing havoc to nearby components.

You can unplug the electrical connector on the compressor, then even if the A/C is on the compressor wont kick in.

SiB
May 6, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Is this a recall/TSB sort of thing? I'm not finding anything about a new PCV system via google.

Its an SSP, "Special Service Program", along with an extended turbo warranty. This kit goes on, and if the problem isn't fixed then the turbo is replaced. The problem is oil smoke at idle.... usually there is A LOT of smoke.

So the new valve cover just has a different fitting on it for the PCV hose. The new PCV hose is a much smaller diameter and connects to the new turbo inlet an inch before the turbo rather than on the large rubber hose close to the air filter. The small vacuum lines are for the wastegate solenoid, the new PCV hose is very close to them so they are longer to make clearance.

Ill take a couple photos of the next one I do, its simple really.

SiB
May 6, 2005
I just got back from Skyactiv technical training...

Its definitely quite the setup, the throttle pedal is more like a "torque pedal" it doesn't control the throttle blade anymore. The engine RPM does odd things while driving. You push on the pedal to go, but that doesn't mean the RPM will increase.

Direct injected at 2900psi, vacuum pump to run the brakes because at certain times there is no vacuum... the craziest looking pistons I have ever seen in a gas motor. Variable compression (VVT tricks), miller cycle mode, very odd connecting rods (all forged internals), small bore long stroke, variable duration camshafts (more VVT tricks), electronically variable oil pressure control.

The transmissions are way nicer to get into. I can strip down the manual trans in about 8 minutes. The auto in about 10 minutes, the auto has a "mechatronic module", that is the valve body, shift solenoids, and TCM all in one. Torque convertor is locked up 88% of the time, it will rev match on downshifts. It goes on and on...

Fuel economy numbers just shy of the VW clean diesels, and more hp/torque than the last 2.3L

Heres some propaganda.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXbLeZie5Y&feature=feedu

SiB fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 8, 2011

SiB
May 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

So it's basically a diesel...that runs on gasoline.

Fuckin' A. Mazda always needs some alternative form of combustion (Wankel, Miller cycle) and since neither of the last two panned out, let's try another!

This is why Mazda is awesome, by the way.

Ya but this time its Otto cycle and it will switch to miller when it needs to, all with the dual VVT. Basically a diesel yes, but it still has spark plugs, that weird hole in the center of the piston combats detonation, along with the ion sensors in the coils.

Now we didnt do any diesel stuff because they will not be here til next year.... We only get one diesel here and that will be the 200hp, 300tq twin sequential turbo, 2.2L I think and of course the fuel economy will be outstanding.

The 2012 Skyactiv Mazda 3 is only partially Skyactiv. It uses the engine and transmission, whereas the 2013 will be fully Skyactiv..... body, chassis, drievtrain so the fuel economy numbers will be even better.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Geoj posted:

Will that be available in a car or only the full-size SUVs (CX-7/9)?

CX-7 and CX-5 yes, CX-9 no, M6 yes, M3 not sure.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

If they can pull off the CX5 as a sporty SUV with the diesel I would be all over it. That is assuming you can get a manual on something other than the stripped down base package like the Mazda5.

I have heard you can get whatever option combination you want... pick from gas, diesel, AWD, FWD, auto and manual.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Nodoze posted:

According to the salesmen at work the CX-9, or 7 I forget which, is the first complete skyactiv car

CX-5 actually.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So owning two Mazdas would just be baiting the curse right? I'd be stupid to trade my truck for a Miata right?

I own 5. The curse is not bad when you have a small fleet. The newest one has taken out a deer, so new hood and bumper.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Ya the stock turbos are ridiculously small.

SiB
May 6, 2005
So apparently Mazda has a new trim level called "GS-L"..... GS is a mid-level car (GX is low end, GT is high end). The "L" means luxury..... so you do not have to buy a top level GT to get leather. So how about a Skyactiv, 6 speed manual with leather for example.

Edit: Or should I say, they brought back the GS-L

SiB
May 6, 2005
I uploaded some photos for you guys showing the PCV fix parts... this kit DOES work, unless your turbo is too far gone. If you have an aftermarket turbo inlet or CAI, this kit won't work on your car without modification, check the photos and you will see.

http://imgur.com/a/qgq2i
sorry about a couple photos that are turned

SiB
May 6, 2005

SynMoo posted:

What year did new cars start coming this way?

With the PCV kit? None at all.

SiB
May 6, 2005
That is correct

SiB
May 6, 2005
The VVT noise is usually heard at startup, especially if the car has been sitting for awhile. It is a very loud, ratcheting sound, lasts for only a couple seconds. If it's bad enough it will set camshaft timing codes. And if its really really bad it will destroy your pretty little engine.

Next time I get one in i'll get an iphone video.

SiB
May 6, 2005
That engine is junk! Send it to the crusher!!

Here is a good video for the noise.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coZLPXJ-PhA

EDIT: This one is a bit better yet, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq4QbjKLQGg

SiB fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 24, 2012

SiB
May 6, 2005

Sublime Process posted:

So it's considered universally bad to hear that VVT noise. How can it be bad for the engine?

Well it will cause the timing chain to fail eventually, then considering its an interference fit engine, the pistons will hit the valves. Who knows what damage will be done at that point. Best case scenario, rebuilt cylinder head and new timing chain and such. Worst case scenario, damaged cylinder walls, unrepairable head, maybe it will even shoot a piece of a valve into the turbo? Its definitely not an issue to ignore!

I had a CX7 that broke the chain, the cylinder head was repaired and reinstalled and all is well. But what caused it? Lack of oil changes, there was enough sludge in the oil that it blocked off the oil passage to the VVT solenoid, VVT failed due to lack of oil, broke the chain and the poo poo storm ensued.

One of the most important things on a DISI motor is frequent oil changes. Here in the drat arctic we have so much idle time, horrible.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Ya its probably one of the intercooler hoses. Misfire could definitely be part of that.

Coilpack issues are very rare.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Maybe the intercooler is split? Or the BOV is stuck open? Who knows, could be a lot of things.

I had a turbo make a pop sound, then have a high pitch whine any time it was running, oddest thing I have see with these turbos. It only had 100 miles on it also.

SiB
May 6, 2005
"retune it" WTF is that supposed to mean? Clear the code and unhook the battery for 5 minutes? Make sure you get the actual code and post it here.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Gotcha. There is the odd PCM update for certain CELs, so maybe that is what they mean. The scan tool won't let you do much as far as programming is concerned. Just updates that may apply.

SiB
May 6, 2005
It's Mazdas birthday today. 92 years old.

SiB
May 6, 2005
A turbo on a 3000psi fuel preessured, already-forged-internalled, 14:1 compression motor? Also the new VVT setup and a turbo would be awesome.

SiB
May 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm 99% certain the CX7 and CX9 come with optional AWD, and I'm fairly certain it will be available on the CX5. Probably just a lack of demand, I think Subaru, Audi, and Volvo suck up most of the market for AWD vehicles that aren't SUVs.

(I am in Canada if that matter, but i'm guessing the US Mazdas are the same)

In 2007 the CX-7 was introduced with AWD, and 2011 was the first year you could get a FWD. So all 2007-2010 will have the same MZR Turbo AWD setup. The FWD only comes with the 2.5L non-turbo.

I have never seen a CX-9 FWD... only AWD. Not sure if they are available??

CX-5 Will be AWD or FWD, Skyactiv 2.0L with Auto or Manual 6 speeds. 2013 the Diesel will be available, 200hp and 300ft/lbs.

And the Canadian CX-5's are on their way...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9s0NwzPKk

Oh and I have not heard anything about Speed6's or AWD MS3's

SiB
May 6, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Someone in this thread claimed that the head on the MZR was too wide to fit in the Miata engine bay. So that's a no go unless you make a tube frame Miata.

It was just because of the high pressure fuel pump hanging off the back of the head. A little mod to the cowl and it would fit right in, no biggy I think.

SiB
May 6, 2005
I have a '90 Miata that I drive in the summer, and a written off Speed3 (rolled).... maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiB
May 6, 2005
Mazda B2300 (ford ranger 2.3) transmission will bolt right up.