Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm looking at a 2001 323F 2.0 (Protege5 in other parts of the world) which is cheap, due to stuck front calipers (Easy, I can fix that) and a CEL (less easy, I have no clue.) Haven't talked to the seller yet, but the ad says that the oxygen sensor needs replacing.

1) Anybody know about the CEL, and what the most common causes are. Does the O2 sensor sound about right?

2) Anything else I should check on this particular model? I know they rust in their rear wheel arches (wouldn't be a real mazda 323 if it didn't) and that the ABS sensors can be finicky.

Edit: Haha, so I went and took a look, and a potential buyer had stopped by a few days earlier, and they had started the car. The generator had seized, and the accessory belt had just been stuck on there, so the driving pulley had spun on the belt and heated it up until it snapped.
The seller generously offered to reduce the price by the price of an alternator.
For a car that can't be test driven.
Good luck, buddy.

bolind fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Guess I should bookmark this thread; just leased a 2019 6 Premium estate. Manual, of course. In Machine Gray.

So far i like it a lot, although all the safety features need a little getting used to.

I'm getting winter wheels for the thing and the question is now: TPMS or not. Mazda, apparently, changed to in-wheel TPMS sensors in 2018. I'm fine with a warning light for four months of the year, but can anyone tell me whether the car will beep and bitch the entire time? Got a good deal on a set of OEM wheels sans tires, the sensors will end up being more expensive than those! I'm tempted to just forego the sensors to save a bit of cash.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

Get the TPMS poo poo.

Care to qualify that statement?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

How much does a set of TPMS sensors cost? If it's not super expensive just go for it.

They’re like $250 for the set! I paid $150 for the wheels! :D

Fabulousity posted:

It's a safety concern. After the tire is broken apart into strips of rubber, steel belt, and nylon cord while doing 60 down the freeway is not the ideal time to find out that it was running too low on air pressure. Best case scenario you pull over and the tire liner doesn't get destroyed and you can get it to a shop for patching. Worst case you, your car, and possibly some unlucky nearby drivers all get to go on a mystical 3D journey through the world of high speed uncontrolled kinetic physics.

And before TPMS tires asploded left and right, killing thousands?

You’re talking to the guy spotting half flat tires on other cars and telling them at spot lights.

bolind fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 16, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm having a weird problem with my 2019 Mazda 6, my iPhone, Apple Carplay and Google Maps.

A couple of days ago, perhaps after an iOS or Google Maps app update, the multifunction button no longer works in the Google Maps app, when connected to the car.

It works fine in other apps, and using the touchscreen works fine too.

Anyone else experience this?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

kaiwero posted:

2019 6 as well and yeah I think I have experienced this, though I haven't taken much notice of it so far, as usually I switch between Spotify which works (and havent used maps for navigation recently).

Could you be bothered to try it out, at your convenience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

I'm having a weird problem with my 2019 Mazda 6, my iPhone, Apple Carplay and Google Maps.

A couple of days ago, perhaps after an iOS or Google Maps app update, the multifunction button no longer works in the Google Maps app, when connected to the car.

It works fine in other apps, and using the touchscreen works fine too.

Anyone else experience this?

So this has fixed itself, no idea how. Car hasn't been in for update, the Google Maps app on iPhone has been...