Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Hey guys, I posted this in the RX8 thread already but thought I would get some better replies about the MS6 here: http://www.premiermazda.net/inventory/printDetails.cfm?printdetails=4694227 (Sorry for the Print View, it's the only way I can direct-link it.)

If you can't access the site: it's 2006 Mazdaspeed6 Sport, 25k miles, for $17k. They dropped the price from 21k. I called and asked if it had any problems or damage or accidents and the salesman told me over the phone (I'll want to see it in person, though) it has a clean carfax record. It was a corporate fleet vehicle, which I'm not too worried about... should I be? It's not like it was a rental car. Is there anything I need to look into, or watch out for? And how much lower should I try to push for?

I'll be seeing the car in person tomorrow, but the salesman already knows I won't be buying when I head out there. I'll be coming back sometime later in the week with my dad (who'll be working when I see it tomorrow) to do a more thorough go-over, have both him and me test drive it, and then probably mull over it some more.

I really want to like this car, but I'm trying to keep from falling in love with it because I don't want to get ripped off because I'm too in love with the car to notice. Help!

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Syd posted:

Corporate fleet to me makes it sound like a press vehicle and i'd stay the gently caress away. Finding an MS6 for <20k with normal miles per year shouldn't be an issue and as such it isn't worth gambling on an beat to hell one.

edit:
here's a few near that zip code

edit2:
Check the sticker on the window, that looks like DoD or GSA stickers and if it is who cares, can't be all that worse than any other used MS6.

Ok so they were forced to move the visit to tomorrow. Ugh. My week is all hosed up, but let's not get all E/N up in this bitch. Unfortunately the $17k one is already stretching my budget as it is, so there's no way I can afford the others. (My car was totaled so I don't have the option of saving up, either.) And what're those stickers you're talking about? Do you mean the one at the lower-left of the windshield next to the registration?

Also, since the Print View only shows one picture, here's the other way to get to it: http://www.premiermazda.net/pages/page.cfm?pageid=147910&pagetype=35&featureid=-1 Just click 2006 and Mazda and it'll take you straight to the MS6.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 18, 2009

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Hell at 12 bucks there's no reason not to try...

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
drat, you're probably right. Oh well.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Captain Cannabis posted:

Haha yea they only changed that after my order. I called them when I kind of realized thats what it was and they just had it labeled wrong.

Turns out they discontinued the MS6 Short ram, sucks. Oh well they canceled my order and refunded me.

Yep, so did I. Thankfully quick and painless, at that.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Has anyone with an MS6 added the parts to flip down their backseats? I remember reading on another Mazdaspeed board that it's possible, you just need to order a parts set that has the latches and whatnot. The main reason Mazda didn't bother with the passthrough on the Speed6 is because there's a big-rear end V-shaped beam (for RIGIDITY :science: ) behind the seats, but you can still fit smaller stuff through the passthrough. I'm kinda interested in giving it a shot, but would like to hear from someone that's done it.

I've popped off the back cover in the trunk, but anything past that I'm a bit leery of doing without someone telling me how to do it.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 3, 2009

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

CombatWombat posted:

Has anyone with an MS6 added the parts to flip down their backseats? I remember reading on another Mazdaspeed board that it's possible, you just need to order a parts set that has the latches and whatnot. The main reason Mazda didn't bother with the passthrough on the Speed6 is because there's a big-rear end V-shaped beam (for RIGIDITY :science: ) behind the seats, but you can still fit smaller stuff through the passthrough. I'm kinda interested in giving it a shot, but would like to hear from someone that's done it.

I've popped off the back cover in the trunk, but anything past that I'm a bit leery of doing without someone telling me how to do it.

Nobody? :(

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
i like my cars to be as pretty as me ;-*

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I've got an 06 MS6, bought it used with around 38k miles on it. its around 45k now, and I'm occasionally hearing a loud squeak coming from the car's undercarriage when stopped or moving at parking lot speeds. If I had to hazard a guess I'd go with the differential but frankly I've got no drat clue. Should I be concerned?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

CombatWombat posted:

I've got an 06 MS6, bought it used with around 38k miles on it. its around 45k now, and I'm occasionally hearing a loud squeak coming from the car's undercarriage when stopped or moving at parking lot speeds. If I had to hazard a guess I'd go with the differential but frankly I've got no drat clue. Should I be concerned?

The dealership was unable to reproduce the noise. I still hear it every so often (probably once every couple days), and I can't figure out a pattern. The only thing I can think of is that the engine is (I think) always warmed up when it happens. It happens stopped, starting off, during a slow roll, during normal driving... the only time I don't think I've heard it is highway speeds, but that could be because it gets drowned out by wind noise and whatnot for all I know. It sounds like a squeaking brake caliper, and I can't pin down where exactly the noise comes from aside from "underneath the car, somewhere."

I took my car back and told them I'd bring it back if it got worse or more frequent. I dunno what else to do. :(

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
traitor

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Frosty- posted:

I know this feeling of despair. They charged me 100 bucks to tell me they have no idea why my suspension clunks and I should totally bring it back sometime.

I've learned to ignore it.

Muffinpox found this: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=88509

There's a TSB for it, so I'm gonna give them a call sometime this week and have them look it up before I bring it in. That way there's no guesswork or "HURRR WE CANT REPRODUCE IT" involved. Also of note, it's happening more often now :(

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Unlike the hot-selling MS3, the MS6 sold like poo poo and it's unlikely that it'll be making a comeback. Prior to Ford selling a large chunk of its stake in Mazda, Mazda and Ford used to share platform and engine designs pretty regularly, but I imagine that will be changing with the loss of ownership.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Phrost posted:

The new Taurus SHO is what I imagine the new MS6 would have been like.

Noooooooo manual! :argh:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Animedork2075 posted:

I wouldn't know. I never spent much time in the back seat of my car.

sucks for you :v:

But seriously, my brother-in-law has a Mazda3 sedan and the back seats are pretty roomy. He's around 6'0 and I'm 6'1 and I fit behind his seat fine.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

the amber trap posted:

Stupid minivan. I'd get rid of that thing in a heartbeat if only we didn't have kids to haul around.

The MS3 fits 5 with good storage room in the hatch...

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

the amber trap posted:

Can three car seats (actually, one car seat and two booster seats) fit in the back?

youve certainly been busy :v:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The dealership says my car's rear swaybar is cracking, and my car's just over 49,000 miles. It's covered under warranty, thankfully. Should I be concerned? Does this mean the car was abused by the PO? :ohdear:

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 24, 2009

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Well the dealership is taking care of it under warranty and the technician didn't seem alarmed about it or anything so I dunno. Also they're doing something with the engine, something about the ignition coil, I think?

Normally I would know what it was but the tech just rattled it off once and said they'd take care of it. I didn't really catch what he actually said. But hey, my car should be done tomorrow and it should be all good again so yay!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The new styling is really growing on me. I still prefer the old one, but I don't hate this one like I used to.

Unrelated: I have an 06 MS6 GT with the fancy auto-dimming mirror, but it seems like it refuses to auto-dim unless someone is shining a loving lighthouse into the back of my car. I looked in the manual but, strangely, there is no mention of the mirror upgrade in it anywhere. It has two buttons; the button on the right turns off the compass, and when you hold it down it displays some tiny text that I can't read. The left button turns on and off a green light on the mirror, but I have no idea what that light does. In addition, when held down this one displays a different but equally tiny bit of text. What do these buttons do and is there a way I can make the dimmer actually work worth a poo poo?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Kynetx posted:

A tap while running turns off the DSC - basically an anti-yaw function. Holding it while starting disables DSC and traction control. You are now free to spin the front tires and fishtail around corners.

Is this true of MS6s too?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm having a somewhat similar issue to CharlesM, granted it's relatively infrequent: my MS6 will not let me shift fully into first; it'll go halfway and feel stuck. If I let it go back to neutral and release/re-press the clutch it usually fixes it.

My MS6 is not under factory warranty, but I do have the extended warranty. Would something like that be covered?

Note: I don't abuse my car. I don't do hard launches like ever, and aside from the occasional lovely shift at high revs I don't really do anything bad to the car. So I hope I didn't cause this... :(

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Pearlescent White is the poo poo. I wish my speed6 was white instead of boring old gray.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Cosmic blue is like a gray for people who wanted to get a non-boring car but couldn't quite make the jump to an actually interesting color. It's also drab and ugly.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think he means he wishes they offered that color on their new cars.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing out on when I'm driving my MS6, since it sends (some) power to the rear wheels. It's the closest to a FWD car I've ever driven for a decent length of time. No torque steer for me. :(

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Why is having a sunroof so essential to you?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My old car didn't have a sunroof, but my MS6 does. I barely ever use it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My MS6's passenger front door lock decided to stop working yesterday. Well, it still works, but only when manually flipped. I am irrationally annoyed by this.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Eugh. That is not fun. I hope it turns out to be nothing.

So, if I wanted to throw some bolt-ons (because I am a hopeless retard when it comes to doing any meaningful work on my car) to my 06 MS6, what should I look at? I remember the old Mazdaspeed intake was recalled because it caused excessive vibrations or some poo poo, but I imagine Cobb or whoever else makes parts has probably worked that out by now. I know the airbox is ridiculously restrictive, so I was hoping to throw some parts on and get some appreciable gains in, if nothing else, sounding cooler :v:

I'd check the other Mazda forums but I don't exactly trust their intelligence.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sublime Process posted:

Home Depot ftw!

dont do this please

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Stupid loving mistake, at-fault accident, MS6 is probably totaled.

gently caress.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The turbo'd engines run stupidly rich, so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it starts happening a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Kynetx posted:

2. That color is exclusive to the MS3. No need to look for the deeper wing, bigger exhaust tip or 19" boat anchors to identify your speedy bretheren.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't initially, but I don't know if it made it onto any 3 hatches.