Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just got an Alpine iLX-207 installed as a head unit on a 2011 3. Install went well, except the installer forgot to connect the iDataLink to the car's bluetooth module steering control pin so now I'm down a few buttons on the wheel. Dunno if I feel like asking them to fix it or not, but since the thing has CarPlay and other stuff the loss of the hang up / voice button on the wheel is low on the list. The unit has a hard key voice button for Siri and incoming calls show up on the screen (and Siri can voice command them).

iDataLink is nice, inasmuch as I can now see my car's water temperature, volt meter, et cetera. It has a bunch of other gauges and can show check engine codes and other neat things. Unfortunately, it does not show TPMS (and I don't think it will on any Mazda).

A while back I inquired about dash kits. There were two options I had seen at the time, the Metra and the Scosche. The Metra was a non-starter (ugly as hell) and the Scosche just looked kinda plain. I did some research and found the JDM adapter kit, which would have cost $150-ish to import, but it was the nicest looking of the bunch. Turns out (as always) there is a much cheaper, similar looking kit to the JDM by Carav. Bought it on fleabay, arrived a few weeks later. Even though it's not quite as good looking as the JDM (the bottom edge is straight instead of curved), the rest looks 99% the same and it flows into the dash so much better than the Metra or Scosche kits. The little wings for screwing in the head unit itself are plastic and feel cheap, but I have to admit it does the job.

Also, if anyone here has an Alpine head unit, I made a Mazda-themed Alpine boot screen. You have to save the file as openingfile.bmp, then put it on a FAT32 formatted thumb drive in a folder named OPENINGFILE (all caps). Plug in the USB, power on your car, and it should ask if you want to use the customization.

If you're interested in making a custom boot screen, It's pretty straightforward, you just have to anamorphically scale the file before saving. Design the file at 872x480, then scale it to 800x480. The head unit display will stretch it back out. If you make it natively at 800x480 without that squish, it'll look wrong on the display. Save it as a 24 bit (specifically 24 bit, not 32 or 8) windows-format BMP out of Photoshop, name it right, and you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Charles posted:

Are there any kits that keep for the first-gen 3 that keep the outside temperature display?

Depends on the year of the car. 2006 and above it's on a separate power harness so if you get a dash kit that mounts the temp display, you'll still be in business. There's plenty of posts on Mazda forums about it. iDataLink does have ambient outdoor temp as a gauge option, FWIW.

Martytoof posted:

That actually doesn't look as bad as I would have expected. My number one grievance with aftermarket HUs is that they are ugly as sin. I went with one of the aftermarket Eonon OEM-look HUs which worked great for a while but the whole thing turned into a quagmire of lovely Chinese electronics after a while so I went back to my stock radio with a bluetooth aux-in. Seeing your setup makes me want to reconsider an aftermarket now.

Eonon is hot garbage to be avoided. Alpine makes pretty stylish units but when the HU is a touchscreen that takes up 90% of the area of the unit it's kind of hard to screw it up. I did find the GUI on the iLX units to be decent enough, even when you're not using Carplay/Android Auto. Being able to color-coordinate the HU's color scheme with your dash lighting helps a lot too.

For those that don't know what they look like, here's a comparison of some images I've swiped of the various dash kits for the 2010-13.

Metra

Scosche

Mazda official JDM / Asia

Carav

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Makes me miss the ol’ Mister Clean washer, spray with ionized water at the end.

This thing was my jam, even with the consumable cost the AutoDry just worked. Made it so easy to do a quick wash.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Use a black and white only newspaper with invisible glass and you'll never see another streak on the inside windshield again.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
If it makes you feel any better, my dash was fixed under the recall, and it's already separating again from the info display.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I sure this new mild hybrid is not as forgettable as i-ELOOP was.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

dissss posted:

I didn't think of that.

Just tried removing Apple Maps from the phone, now pressing the nav button pops up a dialogue box on the phone asking whether I'd like to reinstall it.

The "maps" button sends a maps URL to the phone and iPhones always treat that URL as Maps.app request even if it isn't installed. Until they allow us to set a default handler for maps URLs, it'll always call for Apple Maps when you press any carplay maps button. The likelihood of this happening is very low.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
So the left rear shock mount on my 2011 3 hatchback broke today after a surprise pavement break. Anyone have experience with these going south? Is it OK just to replace the mount? The car's 8 years old and 85K miles, the shocks haven't felt worn.

edit: replaced both mounts and shocks. $400 out the door at my local mechanic. Could have been worse. :shobon:

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 31, 2019

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TheGoatTrick posted:

Correct, it's the CX-30 that is already available in Japan and Europe.

The headlights, grille, and hood overhang in that teaser look nothing like the CX-30.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Now I see it. I was getting tricked by the shadow. It made it look like the overhang goes over the headlight housing, when it doesn't. The housing blends in.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Soul Red is one of the few paint colors I would just straight up recommend a full paint film on the front end. The cost of the film will be saved by the resprays and touchups that will just never match that paint.

That said I've used clear acrylic to cover up nicks when touchup wasn't an option.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Anyone else got one of the current Mazda turbos? Threw down on a Soul Red CX-30 Turbo Premium over the weekend, should be delivered in a month. My 2011 MZ3 hatch has had a good run but I'm selling it while it's still in good shape and has value.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah I have a 2020 Cx5 turbo, plenty of get up and go even with regular gas.

This is one thing I was going to ask. I know you can run regular 87 in it, and the benefit for 93 is mostly over 4000RPM. Are people regularly using Premium gas with these turbos?

quote:

I have this trim in Silver and it’s been a great year with it. My only quibbles are that the tank is a bit small (not a huge issue as it’s a weekend/road trip car for me) and I wish it had ventilated seats. I’m not a huge car person but I find it great to drive. I certainly haven’t regretted going turbo over non turbo. Happy to answer any specific questions if you or anyone else has any.

Yeah, a 12-something gallon tank feels pretty small. My hatch had something like a 15 gallon tank, so I know I’ll be stopping more frequently. I drive a lot less these days but I still have to make trips once a month (along with other weekly tasks). I’m used to filling up at a quarter tank left.

quote:

I used cerakote wipes on the black plastic trim.

How has the piano black held up? It’s the one donwnside of the interior space I noticed when test driving. I’ve seen aftermarket replacements, but i have no clue about the quality. I was really impressed with the interior—coming from a cloth hatchback it was like I was transported into a luxury car that cost $10K more than this.

I noticed it doesn’t come with a cargo cover (like my Mazda 3 hatch does) but it can be bought separately. Is it worthwhile?

How about dashcams? I’ll be getting a new one for this car and leaving my current one (hardwired) with the old one. I’ve read about an adapter that can plug into the mirror circuit to provide power. Better to position them on the driver or passenger side?

Floor mats. Weathertech or other brands? I’m used to WT but I’ve heard about Tuxmats. I live in the northeast so it’s all four seasons here.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 8, 2022

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

MetaJew posted:

Don't buy Weathertech because the CEO is a chud.

I've put 3D Maxpider all weather mats in our Model Y and my ND Miata-- at a minimum they haven't openly done chud things to my knowledge.

I bought the ND Miata mats from this online store, with a coupon I found after doing some googling:
https://www.autoanything.com/

3D Maxpider is new to me but I’ll look into them, thanks. Looks like they do a cargo tray too.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

dissss posted:

Seriously? Even the cheapest spec comes with one in most markets.

$150 at Mazda dealers here in the states. I’m going to try to get it tossed in for free.

norton I posted:

The only actual problems I've had are paint chips due to very fragile Soul Red and the decaying stretch of 101 I take to work, I found a detailer to touch up and put film on the hood. Gas tank is pretty small to make room for the rear diff. The interior is so quiet I've spent some time chasing the smallest rattle noises, but a few bits of foam fixed that.

I really wanted to stick with a 3 Hatch and not get a CX-30, but the C-pillar really soured me on it. I also really don’t like the area where the console joins the dash on the 3—it comes up so high that my right knee didn’t sit well against it. The CX-30 didn’t do this (different seating position and it doesn’t have that triangular bit).

I’m also a bit shocked at the narrowness of the tires on both the CX-3 and the 3 hatch - 215, really? But then I looked up the MS3 and realized it only had 225.

When I drove both the Turbo 3 Hatch and the Turbo CX-30, they felt largely the same in terms of power/steering/trans. If there was an appreciable difference in tuning, I couldn’t feel it. The height/seating position of the 30 is noticeable, but I didn’t feel like I was giving anything up. Both cars would probably have similar troubles when being pushed without fatter tires / suspension changes.

Both cars have a coffin/cocoon feeling, and the 3 hatch is worse, unfortunately. The C/D pillar windows on the CX-30, as small as they are, make a huge difference. God help you if you want to rest your elbow on the window sill.

Neither are a replacement for an MS3, unfortunately, but when the alternatives are a GTI and a Veloster N that I'll never track, I'll stick to Mazda.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Soul Red CX-30 Turbo Premium arrived today. :toot: Godspeed to my old 2011 MZ3 Hatch, I'm sure whoever gets you next will enjoy many happy rides.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

the red paint is nice in the flesh but not $500 AUD nice. When I got my 3 12 months ago I ended up getting the dark blue cause it was the nicest colour that didn't cost more

Weird that it costs less in AUD than USD. Both Soul Red and Machine Grey are $595 USD charges. I’m not sure why Machine Grey has an upcharge—it's fine as far as dark grays go. AFAIK it doesn’t have a special paint process like Soul Red. There's a ton of allocations for them though, so maybe it's just Mazda's way to secure more money.

Of all the CX-30s in the Northeast US at the moment (in transit or inventory), the ratio for red seems to be 1 out of 8 overall. But when it comes to the higher trim models red seems rarer.

Deep Crystal Blue was my second choice. I just can’t buy a white/grey/black car; I need an actual color.

MA-Horus posted:

I love the soul red colour, however it does show off paint chips pretty well.

Yeah, I’ve been looking into PPF for the front end and hood.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
What terrible luck. My windshield apparently took a rock or pebble or something near the rear view mirror assembly, and the thing cracked almost all the way across to the passenger side. On a car I’ve had for only four days. I only noticed it because I sat in the passenger’s seat while my brother-in-law was driving it. It had to have happened yesterday when I was driving on Route 2, I remember hearing a “ping” somewhere around Shelburne Falls but I didn’t think too much of it.

Fortunately Massachusetts comprehensive insurance has full glass coverage with zero deductible, so I won’t pay anything to get it fixed. I haven’t even gotten an inspection sticker yet (and now I can’t because of the huge crack).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Oil burning is a known issue on 2021s due to a run of engines that had improper valve seals or something to that effect. Until Mazda puts out an official solution, all they’re doing for people is topping up oil at the dealership.

They’re trying not to replace the faulty engines outright but I don’t see how you can fix this problem without a top end fix, which will cost a lot of shop time and money. The TSB lists a specific VIN range, I assume yours falls in it?

My 2022 2.5T has not observed any burning yet in 3500-ish miles, but I’m still checking the dipstick once a month to be safe.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The Gen4 sedan is 183.5 inches long. The Gen3 was 180.3.

The Mazda6 is 192.7.

In comparison, the gen4 hatch is 175.6 (and the CX-30 is 173).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I helped a friend install the CarPlay retrofit kit into his 2019 CX-3 today. It was pretty straightfoward except for popping the panel behind the screen so I could pull out the central entertainment unit. If there’s an easier way of doing it, I wish I knew, but all the guides said to reach into the glovebox and pop the clips to get started. My hands barely fit in there because a metal crossmember’s in the way. After an hour of cursing and cutting myself I wound up using a long screwdriver to pop the clip open. The rest of the job (opening up the console, routing the wries, prying out the old USB hub) was done in 45 mintues. It was about the same as any other car stereo work I’ve done. I hope the other cars with this system have an easier way to remove the central screen unit.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

opengl128 posted:

When I helped my buddy with his CX5 I remember having to reach behind the USB hub with a long flathead and twist to snap the clips off, was the fastest way and didn't matter if you break it since it's getting replaced anyway.

That was the easiest part, the bezel holding the hub came right out from the lower center stack and I did the same thing with snapping the tabs off to remvoe it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Ornery and Hornery posted:

oooooooooh that's nice! Very red too.

I am looking at CX-30s/5s/50s. They seem to be the best combo of safety/driving enjoyment/economic AWD.
  • I did notice that they apparently don't have a touch screen capability.
  • How y'all feel about infotainment screens with/without touch screen capability?

The CX-50 does have a touch screen, but it’s only touch for CarPlay/AA and you have to enable that in a menu to allow touch while driving.

I don’t know if they added it to the 2023 CX-30.

I’m perfectly fine without it—I like the knob interface except for entering text. It’s the one place where it falls down. I don’t think it’s that much slower than touching a screen keyboard while moving, but it’s just off enough to make you grumble.

Also, the knob isn’t just a rotary spinner; it has cardinal directions which have alternative functions in the phone mirroring setups (e.g. page down versus single item, or moving to adjacent areas without scrolling). It has a learning curve, but once you understand the rules it’s very comfortable to operate. Especially since it’s always within your line of sight.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
There’s two schedules, a “light” and “heavy” one, with 10K and 5K intervals respectively. Most dealers assume you’ll be on the heavy one.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Tremors posted:

What's the current state of things regarding new orders from Mazda? If I'm wanting a specific trim and color cx50 for example (turbo premium plus, soul red), how big of a pain will it be to get if a dealer nearby doesn't currently have one on the lot?

In the United States there is no ordering. Only allocations. Getting a dealer trade will probably be hard. You’ll have to call around to your dealers to see what they have coming in and keep tabs on Mazda’s inventory tracker.

If you’re in Canada… six months after an order?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Richter Scabies posted:

I was able to put in a build order may 2022 in the US, and they mentioned it would take around 4 months then. I ended up having to withdraw it so it went to the lot to be sold to someone else instead; but per prior posts I wouldn't be able to do this anymore at present?

Every dealer I’ve talked to in the northeast said they were allocation only, and the posts I’ve seen from Mazda salespeople on various forums/Reddits said they were allocation only, like Honda and Toyota.

but it’s possible that it’s different in other regions or on the CX-50, which is built in the US (instead of Mexico or Japan).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, I thought I could call and just request what I wanted and my local dealer would make it work. I had a relationship with them and everything, but they just shrugged their shoulders and said they didn’t know when they’d get what i wanted. This was back in February 2022 in the real tight inventory days.

TrueCar wound up being the key for me. A dealer in New Hampshire (about 30 miles from me) emailed me and had exactly the color/trim combo I wanted on incoming allocation and it came in below MSRP. Transaction was super easy, I put down a $500 deposit and I got my car two months later.

Looking here in the New England area, there’s zero Soul Red TPPs within 200 miles of Boston. I don’t know how many Soul Reds they make for CX-50s (probably less than for MZ3s or CX-30s) but if you’re holding out for a color you’re gonna be waiting a while.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 19, 2023

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Tremors posted:

Never underestimate the power of complaining on the internet. I looked at mazda's website again today and saw that they had changed over to the 2024 cx50 model year. Plugged in my config and found a TPP trim in Red that is in transit to a dealer 1.5 hours away from me. I contacted the dealer and it wasn't already sold, so I put my $500 down to secure it. We'll see if this perfect coincidence works out in 3-4 weeks I guess!

Soul Red is the one true color. Godspeed and welcome to the turbo team.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You get used to it, usually by putting your thumb or whatever on the bottom/top side of the rocker and not on the face of it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The NA 2.5’s electrically controlled thermostat has been very tricky. I’ve read a lot of people having trouble with it. IIRC Mazda moved away from it in the 2023 NA models to some other design.

The Turbos have a more traditional mechanical thermostat, I’ve seen less complaints about them.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi friends, how is the headroom in the cx-30?

I’ve checked specs but after trying different cars it seems like the listed headroom on vehicles doesn’t translate to consistency of my experiences in the cars.

I’m 5’10. In my normal driving position I have between 4-5 inches of headroom on my Turbo Premium which has a moonroof.

In the backseat it’s more like 3 inches.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I told the dealer I wanted a car where my right knee didn't touch and he told me that he'd never heard that before and started pointing me to trucks and family vans.

I've driven certain vehicles that put a hard sharp bezel or something right there where your knee is and that's rough on long trips!

This is why I went with a CX-30 over a Mazda 3 hatch (along with the C-pillar windows). The seating position combined with how the console comes up to the dash means it doesn’t interfere with my knee. Even the CX-5 has right knee interference.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Franco Caution posted:

Having rented a couple newer model mazdas, the flat key looks cool until you touch it. Then it feels really cheap.
I think I prefer the 2012-2019 Mazda Fobs. Even the Switchblade ones from the early 2000s felt better than the new ones.

Yeah, it has this hollow plasticky feel, which is unfortunate. I also got one of the colored panels (soul red) and it makes it look cooler, but it sounds even hollower when tapped.

The buttons are also easily triggered in a pants pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
They’re available on lower trims in the euro spec models, but N.A. models gate proximity sensors to the premium plus trims.