Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m looking into getting into relief printing using wood engraving and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for quality gouges to use? I didn’t see any printing threads so sorry if I missed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Are you talking about end-grain engraving, or regular old carving? I think wood engravers are special tools related to metal engraving, and I don’t know about those. Otherwise you’re thinking carving gouges, and the question is “how much do you want to spend?”

Flexcut tools seems to be popular, and are fairly low-investment. Real serious gouges can easily start at $35/tool.

I have looked at Flexcut already but what are some of the more serious gouges out there? I’m willing to invest more in tools

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

If you're talking about end-grain engraving, I don't know if any of the following applies.

I get pfeil Swiss made from woodcraft, though there are plenty of other brands out there. They come in sets, but those sets are more tuned to sculptural carving; the needs of carving for printmaking are much more limited. My core set is a 2mm #12 v-gouge (for sharp details and corners), a 3mm #9 gouge (general carving in tight places), and a 7mm Japanese gouge that I think works out to around #5 or #6 (for removing material and carving around lines in open space). I believe traditional Japanese block carving uses knives a lot for outlining but I haven't used any.

This is exactly what I was looking for and yeah I’m not doing any end grain carving, sorry if I wasn’t clear. Thanks for the link!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Also get one of these to help keep them sharper longer. Using that and a plain leather strop for every hour of carving will help stave off the need to get stones for sharpening.

Edit: I don't know if you need wood advice, but just in case...

Get some good birch plywood. If you've got a local woodworking store (not a big box) they've probably got it. Your local Michaels might sell hobby plywood that's essentially the same stuff, but I'm not sure the quality is as good. Only need 1/4" thick. Cherry works better, but it's more expensive and you probably won't be able to get it as big. McClains sells specialty wood for printmaking and can give you free samples, but again it's a bit pricier (I've carved a little bit of shina and it was pretty nice).

I’ll take any advice I can! I’m new to all of this so I’m a big, dumb baby when it comes to relief printing so I appreciate everything you’ve provided

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This might be a bit of on odd question but in what medium were old pulp magazine covers and trading cards typically done in such as the Mars Attacks cards? I believe it’s oil but I would just like a second thought on it some I haven’t done anything in oil before

Edit: digging into it more it’s gouache so answered my own question!

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 2, 2019

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Can she just go to university courses? She might even be able to just audit the course (i.e. can attend classes, but work doesn't get graded and you receive no course credit) for a lower or zero fee. Call up those university teachers and ask about auditing courses as an adult.

Also, I've seen many artists recommend Drawabox as a good place to get started on fundamentals.

I had actually came into this thread to ask how to get started with the very, very basics to starting to learn to draw so I’m gonna give this Drawbox free lesions a try, thank you! If anyone else has any other suggestions of resources I’d take them as well

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What are some good books/online resources/courses for someone basically starting from 0 with wanting to learn to draw? Using Google or any search engine anymore is such a crapshoot since the results are often SEO AI vomit now

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Vilppu looks decent but the starting course is $800 and I'd have to save a bit for that one

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thanks all for the answers. I’m kinda terrified of failure so I was really worried that, as someone starting with no drawing skill at all at 34, unless I followed a correct growth of fundamentals path I’d never get any better no matter how much I tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

One last quick, dumb question. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 and an Apple Pencil. For someone just starting out should I only be using paper and material or is okay to practice using the iPad as a tablet?