Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

etard knievel posted:

:words:

That's some bad stuff right there. Good of you to have kept your cool and just chill afterwards. Getting upset yourself only leads to even worse things at moments like that.

This may sound weird, but I've actually gotten used to being treated like poo poo when I DJ certain parties. It's something that just happens too often. Be it some drunk chick coming over to the DJ-booth telling me "this music sucks, can't you play anything good" (classic example) to the point where one time the DJ playing prior to me just wouldn't let me start my set by constantly throwing in another tune and basically ignoring me. That was a real "what the..." moment. I ended up simply telling him to get the gently caress out or I would pull the plug on all gear, but it wasn't until the host of the party came up to him that he actually left.

I do think what you described happens because people don't consider DJ's on anywhere near the same level as real musicians. To most people we are in fact glorified iPods. They think anyone can be a DJ, and that's where the problem sits. Because in their mind anyone can do it, you are nothing special and no different from the neighbours 14 year old kid.

Also, what you should keep in mind, is that the person hosting the party is to be blamed for this mostly. He apparently did not point out clearly enough that there would only be DJ's playing minimal and no all-round everything-goes DJ's. I was asked to do a set once, and they told me upfront the crowd would be "mostly house-lovers". They weren't, everyone was expecting trance. I didn't have that, since I don't play trance, so to save myself 1.5 hours of humiliation and a lot of nasty looks I asked the other guy to fill in for me. The host later apologized and paid my fee, but my night was "ruined" anyway, as I had been looking forward to that gig.

As for stories, the weirdest thing that ever happened to me was some girl, who apparently didn't like what I was playing, coming up to the dj booth at a certain point, and pulling out the power cable to one of my CDJ's and throwing it into the crowd. Me and my buddy were absolutely dumbfounded and not sure if we would laugh or start yelling.

Also, jon could you maybe change my info in the OP to:

rivfader - Progressive House, Tech-house
http://www.awesometownradio.com/rivfader

Since I don't play trance and right now the link doesn't work because of the capital R. Thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Finished my "yearmix", or whatever you wanna call it. It's not so much a really good representation of prog in 2008, but more of a "tracks that made 2008 good" kind of thing.

It's got some minor bumps here and there since I had to do it in 1 take without editing afterwards. Took it down from 200 to 60 to 21 tracks. That was the hardest part by far.

Anyway, enough bullshit excuses:

Rivfader's Progressing from 2008: "One more glance at that which has passed".

Genre: Progressive House (with a bit of electro en tech)
Length/Quality: 1h 45 min / 256 KB/s
Size: 190 MB
Gear: 2x CDJ-800MKII & DJM-600

Tracklist

Asia N'Do - Little Star (Original Mix)
Pryda - F12 (Original Mix)
Deadmau5 - Alone with You (Original Mix)
16 Bit Lolitas - Murder Weapon (Original Mix) *combined with* Kaskade - 4AM (Adam K & Soha Mix)
Glenn Morrison - No Sudden Moves (Original Mix)
John Dahlback - Pyramid (Dirty South Remix)
Jose Amnesia ft. Karen Overton - Our Dubbing Arts (Instrumental Mix)
Arno Cost & Norman Doray - Apocalypse (Original Mix)
The Jay Lumen Vibe - Atlas (Original Mix)
Norman Doray - Krystal (Original Mix)
Eric Prydz - Pjanoo
Hard Rock Sofa - Immersing (Original Mix)
Tristan Garnier ft. Norman Doray - Last Forever (Original Mix)
Brisker & Magitman - Modern Love (Alter Breed Mix)
Dahlback & Cost - Golden Walls (Original Mix)
Dataworx - Control (Original Mix)
James Harcourt - Call & Response (Original Mix)
Alter Breed - Teleskop (Original Mox)
Tiga ft. Zyntherius - Sunglasses at Night (Tocadisco Remix)
Sebastian Ingrosso & Steve Angello - Partouze (Jean Elan Remix)

Downloadlink: Click!

Feedback appreciated as always.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New Mix. :)

Been getting more and more into deeper, techier stuff (as progressive releases have been somewhat boring lately), so this is my first shot at this.
I would appreciate any feedback, as I really enjoy spinning this.

Rivfader - "Keep It Simple"

Genre: Deep/Tech-House & Techno
Length/Quality: 1h 8min / 320KB/s
Size: 160 MB
Gear: 2x CDJ-800MKII, DJM-600 & Traktor Scratch

Tracklist

Soundexile - Drinking the Truth (Original Mix)
Milton Jackson - Ghosts in my Machine (Original Mix)
Sei A & Milton Jackson - Jinzou (Scopes Re-Edit)
Vincent Vega & Twinpitch - Da Capo (Gorge Remix)
Shur-I-Kan - Gripper (Original Mix)
Alex Kenji - Adelante (Original Mix)
Underworld - Holding the Moth (Audiojack Remix)
Christian Smith & John Selway - Total Departure (Nihad Tule Remix)
Pig & Dan - Terminate (Original Mix)
Milton Jackson & Sei A - Clicks (Original Mix)
Jay Lumen ft. Panoptic - Surface Reborn (Quivver Remix)
Ramon Tapia - Masquarade Part II (Moonbeam Remix)

Download here: Click and save as!

Enjoy. :)

EDIT: Jon, dl-ing your techmix now.

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 20, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Enjoyed this. All Jody Wisternoff like, which in my eyes is a very good thing indeed.

Also bonuspoints for my hero John Graham!

Counterlogic posted:

This was an awesome mix man. Think I'm a take your lead and start gettin' tech-ier with my mixes too. Definitely the kind of stuff I want to move towards spinnin' on my radio show more this season starting Friday. Mixing and transitions were solid too. Keep 'em comin' like this I say.

Thanks, glad both of you appreciated it! I'll definitely do some more of these. :)

And Quivver has some mighty fine releases out there indeed.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

jonmitz posted:

too many good tech house songs being released right now. i don't have enough money for this poo poo...

PS: all music should be as cool as this song:

Emotional Distortion (Popof Remix) - MOS

probably one of the sickest tracks i've heard. ever. during the breakdown when the beat chimes in its just... ridiculous :c00lbert:

here it is in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7KIsxYMZo

So true, way too many awesome tracks. Luckily progressive's been a bit on it's arse as of late, so I don't have spend much on that.

Some recent releases that I really dig: Noir - The Off World, Umek - 2nd To None and Egostereo - Oxyde.

Also, really liked Turbulent Flow 3, nice flow, mixing is great and that Remute track is amazing.

Minor Edit: Ordering Traktor Scratch Pro tomorrow. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Received Traktor Scratch Pro today.

Sjoewe and myself decided to throw our gear together and go for some 4 deck-mixing. The result of that I will post later, as we'll be recording our set. I'm excited to see how it'll work out. :)

Enter deep house, tech house and (minimal)-techno!

Some pictures:

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

chrix posted:

That is sexy with the monitor turned tall like that.

How's Traktor Scratch Pro?

Traktor Pro is awesome, works flawlessly with 4 decks, both CD's and Vinyl. Very stable and practically no blips because of other deck manipulation.

Only bad thing about the whole evening; the rec-out of the mixer was too loud and so the entire 3 hour set sounds hosed. Ah well, we had fun.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

jonmitz posted:

you guys are assholes with that mixer :(

I'm actually selling my DJM-600 to be able to buy a Nuo 5 and Xone 1D to go with Traktor.

The Nuo is amazing, and I honestly don't get why Ecler is discontinuing it as of this year. Well, I do, it's to make room for the Evo 4, but still. So if you're planning on getting one, better do it soon or they'll be out of stock.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

A MIRACLE posted:

People who mix mp3's... do you have your collection organized by bpm, or what? And how do you know the bpm of a song?

I use Traktor Scratch and have my collection sorted alphabetically. I usually remember tracks by artist and name, so it's the quickest way for me to find tracks. Occasionally I do hit the sort by BPM-tag, when I'm not sure what track to play next, it's an easy way to get a "hint" bpm-wise.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Oh and for the love of god try to avoid using a bpm counter while you're learning basic beatmatching. Those can quickly become crutches which you may become too dependent on.

Quoting this because it's the drat truth.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Sjoewe vs. Rivfader - "Minimal-techno, because electro is defective"

Info

Genre: Tech-house, (Minimal)-Techno
Length/Quality: 1h 35m / 256KB/s
Size: 220 MB
Gear: 2x CDJ-800MKII, Ecler Nuo-5 & Traktor Scratch Pro

Downloadlink: Click here, do it now! (or left click, save as)

Tracklist

Not specified yet (because Traktor didn't keep a log and we're too awesome to look it all up.) ;)

Includes tracks by:

Quivver
Egostereo
Umek
Nathan Fake
Remute
Tiefschwarz
Autistic
Pig & Dan
Perfect Stranger
Misc.
D-Nox & Beckers
Nikola Andreev
Trainwreck-end

...and a lot more. For specific tracknames PM or e-mail.

Enjoy and feedback appreciated. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
I'm doing a livestream right now. Minimal-techno / tech-house etc.

Will probably last about 1 hour or for as long as I feel like going. There's a maximum number of listeners unfortunately. :(

EDIT: No More. :(

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 12, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New Mix for all you tech-heads. :)

Sjoewe and I recorded this set this afternoon. It turned out so well, we're thinking of using it as a demo-tape to send to some clubs and organisations.

We recently came up with a name for our DJ-duo: Rahmenfluss. It's German, but doesn't really mean anything other than our two last names combined in a weird way. We figured however that since we're playing minimal and techno having a German name would be the way to go. I'm just making up a good story to cover the fact that it started out as a joke, but then kinda stuck. :hydrogen:

:words:

Rahmenfluss - Sonntagnachmittagschwung

Genre: Tech-house, Techno
Length/Quality: 1h 15m / 320KB/s
Size: 175 MB
Gear: 2x CDJ-800MKII, DJM-600 & Traktor Scratch Pro

Tracklist

Cabal - Watherby
Tony Rohr - Afterburnt
Format B - 2Quite
Ramon Tapia - Tanzgefuehl
Milton Channels - Black is Black
Noir - Clickit
Brian Ffar - Billy Bought A Laser (Pan Pot Remix)
Misc. - Wave After Wave
Spektre - Rabbithole
Steve Lawler - Courses for Horses
D-Nox & Beckers - Left Behind (Ramon Noronha & Re Dupre Remix)
Pig & Dan - Subculture
Polder - Topdrop
Ramon Tapia - Masquarade (Moonbeam Remix)
Perfect Stranger - Easy

Comments and feedback very much appreciated, as we're planning on using this as our demo. :)

Edit: uploaded the final demo-version. :)

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 24, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New Mix.

This one is a tad strange. And I really like how it turned out. I did some pretty long transitions (4+ min) and it also has some breaks etc. that might have one raising an eyebrow at certain times. If that happens though, I've achieved my goal. :)

Genre-wise it's all minimal and tech-house tracks. Starts off a bit dark, but heads to become more funky.

Rivfader - "Wait, what? Oh. Uhm. Weird".

Genre: Minimal, House & Tech-House
Length/Quality: 1h1m / 320 KB/s
Size: 138 MB
Gear: 2x CDJ-800MKII & DJM-600 & Traktor Scratch

Downloadlink: Do I Click Here?

Tracklist

Pan-Pot - Faces (Original Mix)
Unkle ft. Ian Astbury - Burn My Shadow (Audiofly Remix)
From Karaoke to Stardom - 11th Floor 9th Door (Original Mix)
Easy Changes - Truecruch (Original Mix)
Rene Sandoval - Mitico (Original Mix)
Jorge Savoretti - 911 Reasons to Bite You (Original Mix)
Seth Troxler - Blackclap (Original Mix)
Filippo Moscatello - Houz (Original Mix)
George G & Livio and Roby - We got E's (Original Mix)
Hugo - Prismatic Visual (Original Mix)
Fergie - Ireland (Original Mix)
Alex Capelli - Bloody Notes (Original Mix)
Federico Milani - Hooker (Autistic Remix)
Christian Smith & John Selway - Swingworld (Original Mix)

It's only 1 hour, as I might merge it with Sjoewe's latest mix into a 2 hour long back-to-back mix.

Enjoy and feedback much appreciated as always. :)

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 17, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

unfunk posted:

^that was nice and had a good flow. Found nothing strange about it and most of the effects you played with worked well. Especially loved the housier parts in the second half.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. :)

And the strangeness was mostly in the tracks and the effects indeed. I've found that it's become somewhat of a hate it or love it mix among most people I've given it to.
I'm really enjoying weird tracks more and more. gently caress standard mix-moments and obvious transition-spots, I'll mix this track when I want to, not when I'm supposed to. :colbert:

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Threatis posted:

i'm just saying i dont know if i could do it, i get bored after 2 minutes standing there and want to mix into the next track already.

That's because of the genre you play. That pretty much requires you to do that, because a) most nu-disco/indie-dance/what-you-call-it tracks only last 4 minutes or so and b) it's what people who come out to hear that music expect more or less.

Deep House, along with many other genres such as progressive, minimal and certain types of techno work in a very different way. Most tracks last around 8 or 9 minutes and take at least 3 minutes to build to the point where they get interesting. Because of that you can, and have to, make really long transitions (slowly and very gradually blending in the new track, sometimes I take 4 minutes for a transition), which make it seem as if your tracks flow over in a very seamless manner.

It's a lot of fun to do, because you're constantly working your mixer, adjusting tiny bits on the EQ, slowly pushing the fader upwards, maybe using a slight delay effect on the incoming hi-hats of the new tracks etc, until the point where you have a nice break in which you can switch. And I usually keep the old track playing for around another minute or so.

With other genres of dance music, such as fidget, electro-house etc, the mixing style is very different. It's all about fast mixing, often making hard cuts and dropping in new tracks all of a sudden to create somewhat of a suprise effect and keep the dancefloor energetic. Usually these tracks tend to have 2 mixing spots, the first 32 bars and the last 32. After and before that many tracks are just too full of things going on (such as a dirty bassline, vocals, samples etc) to properly blend another track in. The risk one takes by blending here is to make the mix way to busy, making it sound like crap.

Tl;dr:

It all comes down to what genre you play and what style of mixing you find yourself enjoying.
Treating a deep house-track as if it's a pouding electro-house song, by doing quick beat-juggles and hard cuts, simply does not work.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

MrPeanut posted:

So here goes my question,

Being that this is the Saturday heavy-night dj, I'm worried this is what he has come to expect. Quick transitions, popular songs, and genres I will not be mixing.

Since I am going to be making a demo mix, I am trying to figure out how much I should focus on song selection for him to get a sense of what I like, to transitions and effects mixing. Should I be transitioning often? or focusing more on a realistic night of beatmatching and song flow? or somewhere in between? How long should I make the mix?

The first and most important advice would be to make a demo that you feel represents the music you want to play/will be playing, not the music he wants to hear. I cannot stress this enough, because that way there will most likely never be any disappointments on either side.

Now, as far as your demo-mix goes, that's actually not all that easy. What you want to do is give him a nice mix that both shows your diversity in styles and your mixing skill. He needs to know you are up to the job of entertaining his guests.

Track-selection is key, especially in bars.

If you give him a demotape that has a really good set of tracks, put together in a good order, then the actual mixing is of lesser importance. Sure, you still need to make sure it doesn't sound like jackshit, but it doesn't have to be 100% smooth and perfect. Most people, including barowners, remember tracks, not transitions. (They will only remember bad transitions, so don't make any of those.) I'd leave effects out, unless you use them in really small amounts to make certain parts sound just that tiny bit more interesting. Too many will kill your demo though, so be careful. Don't use flangers at all.

As to how many songs and transitions you put in, that's completely up to you, just don't do anything you wouldn't normally do when playing out/spinning at home. So if you're used to say 20 songs/hour, then don't do a demo-mix that has 40 songs in one hour. If they then decide to hire you based on your demotape, that's what they'll expect.

Length should be around 60 minutes. That's long enough to show him your style and skill, but not too long he might start skipping through. (Most normal people don't listen to DJ-sets longer than 2 hours).

Don't go out of your way to get this job. If his idea of the music doesn't work with what you feel comfortable playing, don't do it. I've done a bar for some time and at a certain point decided to quit because I simply wasn't enjoying spinning stupid pop-songs all night.

Good luck with it, and feel free to post your demo-tape here, so we can maybe give some more tips.
(And laugh at you on our secret SA-DJ meetings held at secret places with secret people and secret music. :hellyeah:)

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 6, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Threatis posted:

orrrr you could just listen to what you like, get a feel for the specific sound that appeals to you from whats out there, and ask questions about other genres.

or take a month and do it the jonmitz way!

This is silly. How can someone "just listen to what they like" without having any clue as to what it is they are actually listening to.

Say I were to hear a certain EDM song that I really liked, and say I would like to find more music like that song, then how would I proceed. Most obviously by looking up either a) that certain artist and delving deeper from there or b) finding out what genre that song is and continuing on from there.

I'm not saying that anyone that wants to be a DJ should know all the genres that exist out there and be able to differentiate between them within 5 seconds, but it does help to have some knowledge. For example, where I always cast minimal away as "extremely boring", I have discovered that it's basically become house anyway, and the kind of house I happen to enjoy.
For someone who's just starting in the dance music world/as a DJ browsing through some genres is a very good way to get to know certain music, and to immediately learn if he or she likes that music. This is related to the fact that most people with little knowledge on the subject beforehand will label almost anything as "house" or "techno".

I will agree with you that genres should never be at the base of one's decision to buy/play a song. If I were to come across a indie-dance song I actually liked I would not mind playing it out. However since I 99% of the time absolutely hate it, I'm not spending a lot of time on browsing it. Time that could have been spent listening to other genres I know I like better.

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 14, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

vanilla slimfast posted:

I find exploring by label to be the most effective way of discovering new music I like. Lets say for example I'm just starting out and I hear this amazing track by Jimpster. If I do a bit of digging I will discover most of his stuff is on this label Freerange (which he runs), which has shittons of good music by other artists in a similar vein as well like Milton Jackson, Shur-I-Kan, etc.

I do this too, best thing I ever started doing. I have multiple artists and labels on my Beatport List. It works wonders to kind of meander your way through the maze of tracks that is Beatport (or other sites). Most of my best tracks I've stumbled upon after spending hours on sites just browsing releases, EP's, labels and related artists and labels.

Sure, I have multiple artists that I always check to see if they have any new stuff, since I consider them to be good and they almost never disappoint. But I get tons more fun out of finding new stuff I'd never heard of than just getting 10 of the new Top 100 releases (good as they may be).

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Stop the bullshit, no more pictures, no more stupid arguing over stuff that you will never agree on anyhow.

Candleshire posted:

More mixes plz.

As you wish.

My latest mix, recorded with a friend. No-nonsense techno, with some darker stuff and some tribal, around 128-129 BPM. Title based on the amount of alcohol in booth our bloodstreams, which was quite a lot. I somehow seem to do better mixing after a few beers though. Or it could be that this mix is horrible, but I was too drunk to hear. In that case, I apologize. ;)

Hick-up in the middle because Traktor decided to be a bitch when importing a new track.

Exact tracklist currently missing, but includes tracks by:

- Radioslave
- Slam
- Spektre
- Adam Beyer
- Egbert
- Michel Cleis & Salvatore Freda
- Mark Brown & Steve Mac
- Lutzenkirchen
- D-Nox & Beckers
- Martin Worner
- Steve Lawler

Nothing extremely new, just a bunch of favourites really.

Gear used: 2x CDJ800 MKII, DJM-600 & Traktor Scratch Pro

Download it here: Click!

Feedback as always appreciated.

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 17, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

SixOhSix posted:

If the goal is to create audience confusion or to showcase a lack of selection capability, then by all means wing it with FX. Otherwise, this is VERY bad advice and will ruin the flow of the set. If anything, it makes for an absolute dire trainwreck emergency move, so you can attempt to play it off as "yea, I meant to do that." The best method of action is to rehearse the set lineup to ensure that such a situation is not needed. A well constructed set won't need any sound collage because the tracks will flow off each other. What helps even more, is if you have the time, rehearse mixing your tracks independently off each other. This will help give you a feel of what in your set compliments certain tracks well, and will also help build an ear for knowing what will work just by knowing the structure of the tracks in your library.

I agree on the effects. FX should never be used to cover-up transitions. I'd much rather hear some off-beats or a track simply drop out than hearing a DJ blasting tons of FX al off a sudden. That'll definitely get your crowd looking at you in a bad way.

I resent structuring a set beforehand though. Two main reasons: 1) it makes you completely unable to respond to the crowd and more often than not things you thought sounded great at home will sound only mediocre in a club, track and transitionwise. You can never really anticipate your crowd that well. 2) And maybe even more important, it makes DJ-ing extremely boring. What's the fun in simply repeating a process you've 100% thought up at home when playing in a club? "1:43 minutes untill I start in "random track", then I transition after 33 seconds and then I fade the other track out around 2:54." Making a pie-chart on the how and why of female caterpillar feeding patterns sounds like more fun to me.

The second part of your advice is very solid though and basically the exact opposite of structuring a set. Get to know your tracks, get a feel for them and soon enough you'll start to realize certain tracks might fit well together. Once you do DJ-ing becomes so much more fun and you'll never ever want to structure a set again. That way you also play a different set each time you perform, even though at least 50% of the tracks might be the same.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Ben and Stew posted:

I get what you are saying, but at the same time I really can't fault someone for practicing a set beforehand, especially if it is a really important gig. Also, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to know exactly when and where two songs are going to match up, just that they are harmonically compatible and so on. No doubt the best advice in either case is knowing your tracks really well.

I can definitely understand why someone would practice a set for a very important gig. Yet I'd still advise them to try and add as much "live" decisions as possible, maybe even stepping away from the planned course entirely at times. That way you build confidence in your mixing and track-selection skills, which will make gigs a lot easier and a lot more fun. :)

Knowing your tracks is probably the most important (and most underrated) aspect of DJ-ing all together.

SixOhSix posted:

Yea, sorry if I didn't explain the one aspect enough, but it's primarily for this reason. It's to get a feel for how things should go with your set and make sure that transitions will work. If you're just planning every little detail out on the set beforehand then yea, you might as well just use the native input recording in Traktor. I usually just pick out a framework for the set, try things out beforehand, and then when performing live I'll flesh things out as I go.

Yeah, I do the same. I usually create a playlist of songs I feel like playing and that I think will work with the expected audience. I cram it full of tracks (sometimes 5 times more than I'll be able to play) and once I'm actually playing I let that playlist "guide" me. It sort of gives me hints as to what track to play next.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Going to give Counterlogics mix a listen tomorrow-ish.

In the meantime though:

Riv - Atmosphere (Layer One)

Genre: Prog/Techno
Duration: 1h14m
Info: 320KB/s / 170 MB

Downloadlink: Click! (right-click, save as)

Tracklisting

Kid Dub, Cozzy D, D Dub - Genesis (Audiofly X Remix)
Gorge - Bambossa (Original Mix)
Christian Sol - Lepton (Pistolpuma Remix)
Spektre - Neon Drift (Original Mix)
Logiztik Sounds & Audiobill - Paranoid Call (KOS Remix)
Spartaque - Fake Crisis (Original Mix)
Noir - Ragnarok (Shin Nishimura Remix)
Undo & Vicknoise - Submarino (Paul Kalkbrenner Remix)
Autistic - My Technique (Alex Di Stefano Remix)
Pig & Dan - Micro Kitchen (Original Mix)
Len Faki - Death By House (Original Mix)
Autistic - Digiland (Max Bett Remix)
Workidz & Randall - Fierceness (Original Mix)
Paul Kalkbrenner - Altes Kamuffel
Outro: Paul & Fritz Kalkbrenner - Sky & Sand

Starts off slow then speeds up after about 20 minutes. Gets pretty loud in the end.

Comments and feedback appreciated.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New Mix.

Mainly techhouse, varying from the funky stuff to some tribal-influences. Call it my summermix if you want. :)

Riv - Positive Relapse

Genre: Techhouse
Duration: 1h2min
Size: 320 KB/s / 142 MB

Downloadlink: Click! (unfortunately not TheWevel's awesome hosting, as it seems to be having trouble finishing uploads...)

Tracklisting:

B-Series - Crazy bush
Steve Lawler - Violet
Andy Chatterly - Jets (Delete Remix)
Darius Bassiray, Paul Beynon - Jeebuz Champ (Jamie Stevens Agnostic Remix)
Livio & Roby - Flori On The Hill
Norman Zube - Swing
Leon - Lovers
Matt Tolfrey & Sergio Munez - What Am I Buying
Lauhaus - Hamka
Hideo Kobayashi, Tomoki Tamura - Brick House (Milton Jackson Remix)
DJ Emerson & Dubnitzky - Gentle One (Nick Curly Remix)
Cosmophunk & Jay Lumen - Yes
Mastiksoul - Land of Spirits
Steve Lawler - Kalimba

Feedback and comments appreciated. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Here's a new deep house/(dub)-techno mix I did.

Riv - Atmosphere (Second Layer) -- "Deep Space Exploration"

Genre: Deep House, (Dub)-techno, Progressive
Duration: 1h5min
Info/Size: 320 KB/s, 148 MB

Downloadlink: Click

Tracklisting:

Jesse Somfay - Folding Ghosts into Origami Stars
Sistema - Knob Lo Se
HD Substance - Easy Talking
Dub Mayer - Checkpoint Charlie
Tiger Stripes - Nacht
Swat Squad - Nada (Undo & Vicknoise Remix)
Dole & Kom - Still The Same
Steve Bug & Cle - Dowunderware
Chelonis R. Jones - Pompadour (Gorge Remix)
Nic Fanciulli - Materia
Kerri Chandler - Pong (Ben Klock's Bones & Strings Rework)
Nagano Kitchen - Destination Nagano (Joris Voorn Remix)
Jerome Sydenham - Jor-El
Radio Slave - Na Und!
Marcel Dettman - Lattice

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
The overall sound-quality of the DJM-600 is below average when compared to most more recent mixers, and absolutely poo poo when compared to the likes of a Xone:92.

I always thought the difference would be minor, until I recently switched to an Evo-4. The difference is phenomenal. The stupid little buzz that was always present in all of my recordings is gone and the quality of the sound is way, way better.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Nothing beats this picture in terms of drugged out/drunk DJ's.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Threatis posted:

so wait.....you say "gently caress that kid"because he's trying poo poo out for the first time, and maybe just trying to find his sea legs when it comes to mixing, but you're a bronzed god for putting out a 5 hour mix of big room trance yawners?

livin' the dream jonmitz. livin' the dream.

You could have used that space for constructive criticism on Pres' mix instead of continuing something I thought we had moved on from. Just sayin.

Pres, some of the responses in here might seem somewhat harsh, but don't take it personally. People, especially us DJ's tend to have pretty strong opinions about songs and music in general, and they tend to ventilate them pretty directly. Not defending anyone in here, but it's my experience with DJ-related forums/threads.
The songs you use in your mix have been played over and over again and then some more, so people (including myself) have grown to hate them.

I will try and give your mix a listen sometime soon though and focus commenting on the transitions.

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 17, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New Techno set by Sjoewe and myself.

Rahmenfluss - Zerstört

Genre: Techno
Duration: 1u20min
Info/Size: 320 KB/s, 183 MB

Tracklisting:

Andre Crom - Mdc1
Size - Koebel (Nihad Tule remix)
Alan Fitzpatrick - Science
Paul Ritch - Carrrrramba (Monkey Mix)
Simone Tavazzi - Sospension
Jerome Sydenham - Judgement
Alan Fitzpatrick - Bumblebee
Axel Karakasis - Piranha
A. Mochi - Black Out
Paul Kalkbrenner - Gebrünn Gebrünn (Alexander Kowalski Remix)
Len Faki - BX3
Richie Hawtin - Orange/Minus1
Heiko Laux - Re-Televised pt.2
Steve Parker - Crawling (Kyle Geiger remix)
Joey Beltram - Shaking Trees
Ortin Cam & Bas Mooy - White Pony
Side B - Hazakura (Alex Bau remix)

Comments & Feedback appreciated. Enjoy. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Counterlogic posted:

I love you. This paper I'm writing for my class on Berlin deserved this mix, been rockin' me through the final stretch for this thing.

A tad late, but thanks for the feedback, always appreciated. Good to read that people enjoyed what you whipped up. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New Mix.

Spacey minimal-techno with lots of subbass.

Riv - In Orbit

Genre: Minimal-techno
Duration: 1h6m
Info/Size: 320 KB/s, 151 MB
Average Speed: 125-126 BPM

Tracklisting:

Feedback appreciated.

Enjoy! :)

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 17, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

xpander posted:

Feedback: I like it a lot, very nifty techno sounds. Mixing is top-notch as well. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New mix. Long overdue.

Mostly darker techno in various forms.

Tracklist:

Downloadlink: Click! (right click, save as)

Let me know what you think, feedback appreciated. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
I really like the feel he gives to his tracks. Dark, deep and with a good amount of groove.

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

jonmitz posted:

I was really likin' most of this mix (i didnt finish it yet though)

listening to this now (I was just wondering the other day why you havent put anything up on your website and I totally forgot you stopped using it)

here is a new one from me but no one likes trance xD http://awesometownradio.com/jonmitz/mixes/BOOM/bO_Om_001.mp3
tracklist: http://awesometownradio.com/jonmitz/mixes/BOOM/BO_OM_001_Tracklist.txt

Will check it out, I somehow still can't upload new mixes to awesometown, the upload gets stuck at 99% and then restarts the upload process. Which is a shame since I really enjoyed using it and now feel like TheWevel gave me space for nothing. I still use the site as a referral for my mixtapes though and should update it. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New dark and dubby Berlin-style techno set. Clocks in at 82 minutes.

Tracklist:

Stream @ Soundcloud: Click!

Download @ Soundcloud: Click!

Direct Download (save as): Rightclick

Comments and feedback appreciated as always, enjoy! :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I saw Dettmann & Klock at Awakenings Festival last saturday and they played hands down the best set of the entire festival. Dark and deep yet extremely driving and powerful, make sure to see their entire set tomorrow, as they know how to build like few others.

@jon: hit me up via IM and we'll see what's possible.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

AgentDCooper posted:

Very nice mix right there man. Gotta dig Jeff Bennett. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it!

Also, here's a crappy phone pic of my new setup as of today. :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
New dark and gritty set from me for this month. Loud, noisy Berlin-techno. Serves as a promo for both myself and the set I will be playing in September at a new techno concept in my hometown.

Stream @ Soundcloud

Download @ Soundcloud

Tracklisting:

Feedback as always appreciated.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Streaming some darkish techno right now.

Edit: no longer

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Derkin, enjoyed the progset, you should do more of those.

Recorded a new set myself today. Dark and dubby with a touch of funk.

Tracklist:

Download: Click!

Stream: Soundcloud

Feedback appreciated!

• Locked thread