Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

thems fightin words son.

Hey now, don't get me wrong. I love Hooj Choons, I have a shitload of their wax on my record wall. But you can't deny that they licensed and rereleasing some of the biggest anthems of the late 90s...Greece 2000 and Cafe Del Mar in particular come to mind

I wasn't disparaging the rave anthems, several of those records I quoted previously I still own, even if I will likely never play them out again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Kerk posted:

Not a mix related question, more of a DJ rule/law. Can someone under 21 DJ in a bar/club? My sister is having celebrating her birthday at a bar with all her friends and wants me to DJ but I'm under 21. Are there laws for this? Or am I fine?

As long as you clear it with the bar ahead of time, you should be fine. They'll probably put black Xs on your hands to make sure you don't get served.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Use the record out instead of the master out if you can

Sound quality is going to be pretty poo poo either way, I hate the DJM 600 for recording

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Played the big rave here in Denver last weekend, in the chillout area. Did three different sets over the course of the night, the opening set, a set in the middle, and then the closing set. First two are downtempo, last one is mostly ambient

First set (8:30 to 9:30pm):
View/Stream: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-skylab-2009-08-15-part-1
Direct download: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-skylab-2009-08-15-part-1/download

Tracklisting:
01) Illinton - New Dreams (Chillout Beats) [Hooj Choons]
02) Jean F Cochois (aka The Timewriter) - Stories Of Higheelin' Times [Elektrolux]
03) H-Foundation - Scenario [Soma Recordings]
04) Model 500 - Rain [R&S]
05) Erik Sumo - Do It Yourself [Pulver Records]
06) Take - Dream Over [Swedish Brandy]
07) People Under The Stairs - The Wiz (Instrumental) [Gold Dust Media]
08) Grammatik - The Unfallen Kingdom [Cold Busted]
09) Boards of Canada - Chromakey Dreamcoat [Warp Records]
10) Plaid - Zala [Warp Records]
11) Gus Gus - Polyesterday (Amon Tobin Remix) [4AD]
12) Carlos Yerba - Sea Foam [Lemongrassmusic]
13) ILS - Flame Out [Electrico Records]
14) Ancient Astronauts - I Came Running [ESL Music]
15) Redlounge Orchestra - Ennophonic [Lemongrassmusic]
16) Bomb The Bass - Bug Powder Dust (Kruder & Dorfmeister Remix) [Fourth & Broadway]

Second set (10:30pm to 12:00am):
Stream: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-skylab-2009-08-15-part2
Download: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-skylab-2009-08-15-part2/download

Tracklisting
01) Boards of Canada - Twoism [Warp Records]
02) Minilogue - Six Arms and One Leg [Cocoon]
03) Future Sound of London - Dirty Shadows [Virgin]
04) Sofa Surfers - Passing Tru feat. DJ Collage [Klein Records]
05) Sideshow - If Alone feat. Paul St.Hilaire [Aus]
06) One Deck & Popular - Enrico (Original Mix) [Black Country Route]
07) Nightmares on Wax - 195lbs [Warp Records]
08) David Holmes - Slasher's Revenge [Go! Beat]
09) Tosca - gently caress Dub (Baby Mammoth mix 1) [G-Stone Recordings]
10) Jeff Samuel - Factor 3 [Revolver Records]
11) The Orb - Land of Green Ginger [Cooking Vinyl]
12) Legion of Green Men - Synaptic Response (Faculties Of Cognition) [Plus 8]
13) Aphex Twin - Alberto Balsalm [Warp Records]
14) Newcleus - Destination Earth (1999) [Jam-On Recordings] - Originally released in 1985!
15) LFO - Shove Piggy Shove [Warp Records]
16) Plaid - Durban Pain [Warp Records]
17) Boards of Canada - Sunshine Recorder [Warp Records]
18) Dr. Octagon - Blue Flowers [Mo Wax]
19) Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - If You Must (Dan The Automator Remix) [Hiero Imperium]
20) Aubrey - Sneaky Hammond [Solid Groove]
21) Future Sound of London - The Far Out Son Of Lung And The Ramblings Of A Madman [Virgin]
22) KiloWatts - Astral Accident [Native State Records]
23) Luke Vibert & Jeremy Simmons - Knaim'n'no [Lo Recordings]

Closing ambient set (3:00am to ~4:00am):
Stream: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-skylab-2009-08-15-part-3
Download: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-skylab-2009-08-15-part-3/download

Tracklisting
01) Space Manouvres - The Seventh Planet [Lost Language]
02) Spooky - Belong (Echospace Mix) [Deviant]
03) Boards of Canada - Open The Light [Warp Records]
04) Aphex Twin - Rhubarb [Warp Records]
05) The Black Dog - Tripside Syndicate [Soma Recordings]
06) Plastikman - Pakard [M_nus]
07) Mirko Loko - Astral Vacuum [Cadenza]
08) Plaid - Two Rooms [Warp Records]
09) Future Sound of London - A Study of Six Guitars [Virgin]
10) Cates&dpL - 351 (Ezekiel Bickford Sunday Afternoon Mix) [Om Records]
11) Boards of Canada - Tears From the Compound Eye [Warp Records]
12) Global Communication - 4:02 [Dedicated]
13) Global Communication - 14:31 [Dedicated]

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

now thats more like it. back on form my son!

Cheers :) Here's a picture of what the setup looked like for our stage. DJ booth was inside the dome, which was backlit with two projectors. Two additional projectors lit up the mesh "ceiling" above the grass as well. They set up 4-point sound since our stage was much smaller than the other two outdoor stages.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Threatis posted:

the trick for me was to HUSTLE like crazy. meet other DJs get a small crew going, and just talk to bar owners. dont expect to get anything prime-time right away, but go in prepared, go in confident, and preferably with a partner (having someone to play off of helps).

Quoting for truth. DJing is 90% hustle.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

On topic...

Here is my daytime set on Beta's patio as part of the Om Records 15 Year Anniversary Party here in Denver. Starts with downtempo and works into deep techy chuggy house.

View/Stream: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-beta-2009-09-06
Direct Download: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-beta-2009-09-06/download

Tracklisting

01. Gramatik - The Culture [Cold Busted]
02. ILS - Flame Out [Electrico Records]
03. The Deadbeats - Loafin' [Wax On Records]
04. Rocket Empire - Simmer Down Jammie [Om Records]
05. Antennasia - Yojigen, Kosa, Shingo, Ikiru (Embee Remix) [Lemongrassmusic]
06. The Deadbeats - Pearl [Wax On Records]
07. Gramatik - Still Here [Cold Busted]
08. Colossus - The What? feat. G-Off [Om Records]
09. Alex Gopher - You, My Baby & I (Pepe Bradock's Finger Drumming Remix) [BBE]
10. Crazy P - Never Gonna Reach Me (Hot Toddy Remix) [2020 Vision Recordings]
11. Tom Trago - Passion (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix) [Rush Hour]
12. Kasper Bjorke & His Friendly Ghost - The Great Derangement (Catz 'n Dogz & Pol_On Afera Remix) [We Love This!]
13. Two Armadillos - Hawthorne's Theme [Bangbang!]
14. Audio Soul Project - Memory (Take You Higher) [NRK]
15. Soultourist - Fo-Eva (Gruber & Nuernberg Remix) [Drumpoet Community]
16. Oil UK - The Future (Future Vocal Mix) [React]
17. Stel - The Nail That Sticks (Kruse & Nurnberg Remix) [Mood Music Records]
18. Moodymanc - V8 [2020 Vision Recordings]
19. Brooks - IWANCHU [Aus Music]
20. Palm Skin Productions - So Bad [Freerange Records]
21. Mic Newman - The Aries (Lewie Day Remix) [Dirt Crew]
22. Martin Eyerer, Benno Blome - Pianoroll (Ramon Tapia Remix) [Great Stuff Recordings]
23. Biscuit Reality - Lack of Cactus [mothership]
24. The Juan Maclean - Happy House (Will Saul & Mike Monday Dub) [DFA Records]
25. iO - Jeton [Diynamic]

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Am I screwed because I'm not in touch with "the scene" here? Here being Milwaukee.

As was stated earlier in the thread, DJing is all about the hustle. You're not going to get anywhere if no one knows who you are as a person, much less a DJ

First order of business is to start going to venues/parties that you'd like to eventually play at. Get to know the people involved: the promoters, the DJs, the staff at the venue (esp bartenders), and the "regulars" who you will be depending on to be in attendance when you play. Don't expect magic to happen overnight, it might just be a matter of getting lucky (the regular DJ needs someone to cover one night, an opportunity for outside crews to do a night and see how it goes, etc)

Also, echoing another comment on the last page about getting a crew together. Trying to book shows especially is tough as a solo person. It's much easier to pool resources and brand a night by crew rather than by individual DJ. As you start going out and meeting people, there's a chance you will find like-minded folks (musically, personality-wise, etc) that you might want to team up with.

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 11, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Fair point. I guess I should clarify that I mean hustle only in the sense that there is a bit of an ulterior motive to going out to events. If you are doing it and not having fun, what's the point?

I definitely enjoy the time I spend going out and the people I hang out with at clubs, parties, etc

One other tip I will throw out is that if you can find a way to help other people out with their events, whether it be flyering, helping spread the word, being willing to make an airport/hotel run, or whatever, there is a higher likelyhood you could be repaid in kind with a gig

Again, if anything you are doing to try and get booked is making you unhappy, you might need to reevaluate why you are in the game in the first place. My 2 cents

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

JimmyJazz posted:

50minutes downtempo/trip-hop

Ulrich Schnauss - Between Us and Them
Broken Spindles - Induction
Aphex Twin - Ageispolis
Mr. Scruff - Travelogue
Boards of Canada - spectrum
Groove Armada - Lazy Moon
Velours Perfect - Old Pirate
Joey Fehrenbach - Being Around You
Jon Kennedy - Never Wed an Old Man
Amon Tobin - Mighty Micro People
Robert Miles - Pour Te Parler
Thievery Corporation - The Foundation
Kettel - Michael Space Airlines
Teargas & Plateglass - The Seduction of Canned Laughter
Boom Bip - U R Here
Hystereo - Velocity
Weathertunes - Fragrant Flower
ISAN - Seven Mile Marker
Bonobo - Ketto

i usually mix electro so this is a new one for me. criticism appreciated

I like the look of the tracklisting of this (as someone who plays this kind of music regularly). I'll give it a listen and report back

jonmitz posted:

is trip hop what pretty lights is? I'm downloading that anyway since I've been getting into that kinda music lately

Not really familiar with them so I listened to one of their tracks on youtube. Sounds more like a cross between funk and the whompy-ness of dubstep. Definitely the same tempo range of triphop though.

When I think triphop I think of artists like Massive Attack, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Portishead....etc

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Might as well post my latest while I'm at it...

This is the recording of my set from my friend's birthday party last weekend, an afterhours warehouse affair. I played later in the night so I didn't pull any punches in terms of playing rocking stuff. I love playing these kinds of sets because I don't get to do them that often (usually doing opening sets where these types of tracks are less appropriate). I also dropped a few old favorites along side some of these newer jams

http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-the-endangered-guestlist-party-2009-09-18
Direct Download link: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-the-endangered-guestlist-party-2009-09-18/download

Tracklisting:

01) TG - Kitch In [dirtybird]
02) Kenneth James Gibson - Animals Tonight feat. Kelly Johnston [Culprit]
03) Maurizo Viteiello - Halflife (Gavin Herlihy Remix) [Bauns]
04) Mark Farina - Life (Pezzner Remix) [Om Records]
05) Worthy & DWL - Dry Wood [Anabatic]
06) M.I.A. - Paper Planes (Cates&dpL Papered Up Dub)
07) Steve Bug - Swallowed Too Much Bass feat. Paris The Black Fu (Joris Voorn Remix) [Poker Flat]
08) Le Ron & Yves Eaux & Luke Star - Raar Maar Waar (Presslaboys Remix) [Kindred Sounds]
09) Paris Underground - Night and Day (Christian Malloni Remix) [SNEJL]
10) Kabale Und Liebe - Una Y Nada (Nada Vox Remix) [100% Pure]
11) X-Press 2 - AC/DC (Gangbanger Remix) [Skint]
12) Goshva & Drive D - He Is All Right
13) Nick Curly - Bulgaria [Cecille]
14) Wamdue Project - King of my Castle (S'Man Comin 4 Ya Castle Remix) [Strictly Rhythm]
15) Deadset - Keep Quiet (Deadset Play Naughty) [Front Room]
16) Nicolas Vallée - New New York [Whitelabel]

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

JimmyJazz posted:

50minutes downtempo/trip-hop

Ok listening to this now. Right off the top I'm noticing that every track has the distinct sound of timestretching applied and it's really distracting to me. It sounds like you mixed this on CDJs pitched wayyy down with master tempo turned on? Either that or you did it in Ableton and didn't change the warp type

So far it's decent, although your beatmatching isn't quite solid. The very first transition, in particular, is off by quite a bit.

I like the track selection, but the programming could use a bit of work. Try and work your mix start/end so that they line up in phrases between the two songs. Some of the transitions simply fade out the previous track in the middle of a measure and it doesn't give as much "movement" to the mix.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

JimmyJazz posted:

ya it was done on CDJs but none of the songs are really pitched way down, it's all generally in between +/- 10% do you recommend ever not using master tempo?

i agree i need to work on matching up the measures of tracks :^) that was mainly a problem with my being a little unfamilar with the genre/these particular tracks. thanks for giving it a listen though!

Master Tempo is a good thing, but it tends to sound bad once you go past 4 or 5 percent (especially when pitching down which gives it that spread out matrix-y sound, which is what I was referring to in my previous post). If you are having to change the tempo that drastically to get from track to track, maybe you should change up the programming so that you are playing songs that are closer in BPM range.

I got through the rest of the set, and again, I like most of the tracks you picked but the programming needs a lot of work. It sounds like just about every track was pitched way down, like you weren't sure if some of the tracks would be too fast otherwise? You probably could have mixed the whole thing the same way but starting the first track near 0% instead of where you started at.

Flow-wise, you were kinda all over the place. You'd bounce immediately between light fluffy sparkly stuff and dark brooding stuff with no bridge in between. Try and be a bit more thematic. Group tracks that have complimentary elements so the mixes aren't so jarring.

I know that mixing this genre is tougher in general because a) it's slower which means your beatmatching has to be more on point, and b) the songs are generally less dj-friendly in terms of their intros and outros. By programming your set a bit better, you can compensate for these things by having songs that flow into each other outside of the pure beatmatching elements. I find harmonic mixing is a big help since you don't have the luxury of not overlapping melodies a lot of times

I'm of the opinion that good programming is probably about the hardest thing to pick up in DJing, and I'd even go as far to say that really good programming will make up for less-than-perfect beatmatching, any day, in any genre

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Stream/view: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-owsleys-golden-road-2009-10-08
Download: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-owsleys-golden-road-2009-10-08/download

Early set of tech house and techno in the back room at Owsley's for the LTJ Bukem show. Recorded live on Oct 8th, 2009. Closed with a classic breaks track because the DJ after me was playing breaks.

Tracklist:

01. Claire Ripley - Labrynth (Gorge Remix) [Dessous]
02. Paul Frick - Slow Dance [Kalk Pets]
03. Federico Molinari - Party Faktor (Robert Dietz Disco Desafinado Mix) [Tsuba]
04. Oxia - Sun Step [8bit]
05. Kerri Chandler - Bar A Thym (Foremost Poets Instrumental) [Nite Grooves]
06. Sawtooth Sucka - Crazy (Chicago Wasted Youth Remix) [dotbleep]
07. Smokin Jo & Marc Romboy - What Is This? (Lee Jones Remix) [Dirt Crew]
08. James Braun - Lessons (Paul Frick Remix) [mothership]
09. Magik Johnson - Scanning For Viruses [Made To Play]
10. Tim Deluxe - Storm In a Teacup [Skint Records]
11. Jamie Anderson & Deepgroove - Screaming Trees [Harthouse]
12. Timo Maas - Der Schieber (Funkin' For Hope In NY) [Hope Recordings]

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Nero supports the ability to split the tracks from a single audio file on the fly (wav or mp3), or as was mentioned you can accomplish the same thing with a .cue file

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Steve Evets posted:

Just posting to show support for vanilla slimfast, tylertfb, rivfader, cubicle gangster and actionjackson. Been listening to your mixes over the last couple weeks and have enjoyed them all. I'll probably have a new effort posted here either tomorrow or the day after.

Awesome. Glad you are digging my mixes :)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Candleshire posted:

Do we do dj battles here? Can we?

There was a DJ competition here in ML around this time last year, but there wasn't much interest on the voting front and it kinda fizzled out. You could probably find the thread for it if you have archives access (I don't)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ManoliIsFat posted:

IS THAT THE RECORD CASE FROM GROOVE!?

hahaha holy poo poo

that movie was terrible

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Threatis posted:

*gives you the nod*

I do want that "BPM" tshirt he was wearing though

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Here is my guest mix for B-Sides on Proton Radio. Just aired earlier this morning. Starts with spacey downtempo stuff and works its way into broken beats later

Linky: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-bsidesfeb2010
DL: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-bsidesfeb2010/download

Tracklist:
01. Kool & The Gang - Always (Snowmans' Lovedub by JFC) - Streetlight
02. Joel Mull - Mirage - Harthouse
03. Future Sound of London - Snake Hips - Virgin
04. Jean F Cochois (The Timewriter) - Gold In The Attic - Mole Listening Pearls
05. King Midas Sound - One Ting (Dabrye Remix) - Hyperdub
06. Lux - Nepalese Mustang - Subatomic UK
07. Moonlik - Lost on Segregation - Parasol Phonotheque
08. Rae & Christian - Swimming Pool - Grand Central Recordings
09. Azymuth - Pieces of Ipanema (Mark Pritchard Remix) - Park Lane Recordings
* Raven Maize - The Real Life (Acapella) - Z Records
10. MyMy & Emika - Price Tag (Appleblim & Komonazmuk Remix) - Aus Music
11. Anton Zap - Alice Miraci - Uzuri Recordings
12. Massive Attack - Paradise Circus (Gui Boratto Remix) - Virgin

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

LISTEN TO ME posted:

Oh, a question, is an upgraded soundcloud worth it?

Yes. I lucked out and got a pro account for cheap because I was part of the beta

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Lump Shaker posted:

Sorry for the double post, but this mix is sick! I love that Dabrye remix.

Nice, glad you like it :)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

fomoz posted:

hello, it's been a while that i wanted to make my own trance mix that's similar to the guestmixes that dj's recorded for asot 400 and such.

You might want this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791601

Kerk posted:

I need some advice on using a USB hub for Djing. I currently only have 2 usb ports on my computer and they are both used by my external with all my music and my usb mixer. Im purchasing the Traktor Kontrol X1 to get more control over my sets and am wondering how using a USB hub will affect my performance and which is the best. Im looking for something that will give me the best speed and power. Any recommendations?

You might want this other thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2694790

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

This is my set from the Denver Derby Party on Saturday, recorded live at the Monet Garden in the Denver Botanic Gardens. This was my third consecutive year playing the derby party and I have to say this was definitely the best one yet

Mixture of downtempo, jazzy hiphop, and some spacey disco stuffs

Stream: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-the-denver-botanic-gardens-2010-05-01
Download: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-the-denver-botanic-gardens-2010-05-01/download

edit: crappy cameraphone pic of the crowd starting to fill in around 2pm

Tracklisting:
01) Gofrilab - Spice D.U.B. [Cold Busted]
02) Azymuth - Morning [Far Out Recordings]
03) Bombay Dub Orchestra - Junoon (Bombay Dub's Jaipur Active Remix) [Six Degrees]
04) Aqualise - WPPK (Instrumental) [I-Label]
05) Five Seasons - Time To Go Back [Lemongrassmusic]
06) Bonobo - The Keeper (feat. Andreya Triana) [Ninja Tune]
07) Kira Neris - 2 Weeks in 2 Days [Faces Records]
08) Luna City Express - Orange Soft-Cake [Moon Harbour]
09) J. Boogie's Dubtronic Science - Try Me (feat. Capitol A and Goapele) (People Under The Stairs Remix) [Om Records]
10) Colossus - The What? (feat. G-Off & The Whooligan) [Om Records]
11) People Under The Stairs - Give Love A Chance [Om Records]
12) Herbaliser - Starlight (feat. Roots Manuva) [Ninja Tune]
13) Flash - Wasn't Really Worth My Time [Om Records]
14) Gofrilab - To Croon [Cold Busted]
15) Gofrilab - Cafe [Cold Busted]
16) Gramatik - I Still Remember [Cold Busted]
17) Jayson Brothers - All My Life [Faces Records]
18) 6th Borough Projects - So Glad [House Is The Cure]
19) Kira Neris - Long Live the Queen [Faces Records]
20) Frontera - Rouge [I-Label]
21) I:Cube - Falling [Versatile]
22) Ludovic Llorca - The World As I Live It [Room With A View]
23) Fred Everything - Don't Nobody (feat. N'Dea Davenport) (Hot Toddy Instrumental) [Om Records]
24) Max Sedgley - Something Special (Crazy P Remix) [Jalapeno Records]
25) 62 Mile High Club - The Money (Crazy P In Fra Red Remix) [Drop Music]
26) Manuel Tur - Beasts & The Birds [Delusions of Grandeur]
27) Atjazz & Mark De Clive-Lowe - Sweat No Sleep (Atjazz Astro Remix) [Atjazz]

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 3, 2010

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

geeves posted:

Finally got to this mix, exceelent as always, Bones!

Cheers :)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Alman posted:

There's some really good below the radar tracks in that second mix. I might not be an expert in electronic music, but jesus christ there some a lot of animosity in this thread for someone just learning the ropes.

Don't take the animosity personally. For me at least, I think it stems from the fact that established working DJs who know what they are doing and deserve to get paid have to compete for gigs and timeslots with people who don't know poo poo and are usually willing to play for free just to "get their name out there"

It dilutes the value of the DJ and it sucks. Have you ever seen one of those rave flyers where there are a few headliners and then a shitload of locals that you've never heard of? I can guarantee you that most of them aren't getting paid

There's a few promoters around my town that rather than booking a few good djs, will open the floodgates for a shitton of terrible ones that are willing to play for free and I'm sure that's true elsewhere as well

edit: also, you have to understand there have been a LOT of mixes posted in this thread and the one before it with the same Daft Punk, MSTRKRFT, Justice, etc tracks over and over again and they have been met with a similar response.

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 5, 2010

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Symptomless Coma posted:

Anyway my main question for everyone here is - I'm in the market for a new set of monitors. I have been struggling by on some admittedly great Logitech computer speakers for a while now, but they don't quite cut it at your average house party. What I need is a pair of speakers that sound pretty nice day-to-day, aren't too big, and won't distort when I turn them up enough to feed a 50-person house party.

Oh, which are up to £200 for the pair. Anybody have any good experiences?

(in return I'll put a mix up :) )

Maybe try the DJ gear thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2694790

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

^^^ this is a good idea

Whereabouts in Kansas are you? If you are on the western side, a roadtrip to Denver would be worthwhile. We get insane amounts of national and international talent year-round, and Beatport's club Beta is ranked 19th in the world (according to DJ Mag).

Of course, I'm biased because I get to play there next weekend ;)

There's also tons of great underground events with a dedicated group of people and a bunch of great local DJs and producers

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Alman posted:

edit: though actually, I have two cousins that live in Denver that I go visit usually once or twice a year and go skiing. Maybe next time I go up for a ski trip I'll hit you up for a good place to go that weekend.

Definitely do that. Even if there isn't anyone in particular you want to see playing when you're here, Beta is worth a visit just to hear the Funktion One soundsystem

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Sjoewe posted:

I would like to talk to the guy at Beatport who cuts out the samples and then tell him he needs te get his act together. So much samples on BP that don't expres what a track is really about.

Former Beatport employee here...

As I recall the samples are built automatically when content is submitted. IIRC, the sample is 2 mins long starting from 40% into the track, or failing that the last 2 mins of the track if it's really short

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

SUBFRIES posted:

Did you know Anna, who was working on the Beatsource project until about a year or so ago?

Yep! Worked pretty closely with her for much of that summer I was there doing research on the hiphop side of things. I was bummed when they shut Beatsource down as they had some pretty ridiculous content

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Sjoewe posted:

That explains the randomness.
The new pre-listen system on junodownload is much better, displaying the waveform etc, but then again beatport is much faster and easier to use. Ah well.

When I was working there, we had scoped out a design for the backend to allow the labels to specify timestamps for the samples when they submitted content, but I don't know if that was ever picked up (and I didn't last there long enough to find out). Trust me though, this is obviously one of the things they are aware of

SUBFRIES posted:

Crazy, such a small random world sometimes. Just saw her in DC last week, she's managing some friends of ours and was in town for their residency.

Indeed! If you see her or talk to her again, tell her Bones says whatup ;)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

mrfart posted:

i don't know why people go to beatport.
It's more expensive, the player isn't that good and the good content is harder to find within the endless amount of crap.

They have a poo poo-ton of high-profile labels locked into exclusive deals. So unless you're willing to wait 4-8 weeks for said labels' newest tracks, it's the only game in town for a lot of music

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Here is the recording of my opening set for Lee Burridge at Beta last night. I'm really happy with how this set turned out. So I ended up playing just a bit over two hours due to Lee's late arrival because of weather. Honestly one of the most fun gigs I've ever played.

Starts really deep and slow at around 113bpm, ending closer to 124bpm. Mostly a mixture of house, tech-house and techno

Stream: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-beta-2010-06-12
Download: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-beta-2010-06-12/download

Tracklisting
01. Luna City Express - Heaven's Gate [Moon Harbour]
* Open The Pod Bay Doors, Hal
02. Ryo Murakami - Just For This (Graeme Clarks Revenge Remix) [Dessous]
03. Floating Points - Vacuum Boogie [Eglo]
04. Claude VonStroke - Aundy (Tanner Ross & Sergio Santos Remix) [dirtybird]
05. Andre Lodemann - Dark Edge (Dairmount & Berardi Dub Mix) [Room With A View]
06. Mike Shannon - Under The Radar feat. Fadila (Rozzo Mix) [Cynosure]
07. Bubba - Drugs, Hugs & Thugs (Matthew Styles Remix) [Extended Play]
08. Manuel Tur - Beasts & The Birds [Delusions Of Grandeur]
09. Shur-I-Kan - Joe's Joint [Dark Energy Recordings]
10. Catz 'n Dogz & dOP - Deaf Wagrant (Selianka Edit) [Watergate]
11. Ladzinski - Diamond [boe]
12. Lee Jones - Closed Circus (Nick Hoppner Remix) [Cityfox]
13. Benno Blome - Nausicaa [Sender]
14. Sei A - Paraphaze [Turbo]
15. Joel Mull - High Coast Highway [Jericho]
16. Art Of Tones - Terres Conquises (Tribute 2 C2) [Room With A View]
17. Martinez - Paradigm Shift [Moon Harbour]
18. Shades of Gray - Motown Calling [Dark Energy Recordings]
19. SLG - I Love You But I've Chosen Disco feat. Smolny [Pets]
20. Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts - Raw [Musique Risquee]
21. Martinez - Damaged Color [Moon Harbour]
22. Uone - Kontrol [BEEF]
23. David Pher & Sirak - Danzar [VIVa Music]
24. Kenny Hawkes - Play The Game feat. Louise Carver (Joris Voorn Remix) [U-Boot]
25. Shur-I-Kan - One Night In Tokyo [Freerange]

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

how old is this? I got him on alert on my beatport and this havent popped up.

Came out near the end of last year (November), been sitting on it for a while looking for an excuse to play it out :)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Socket Ryanist posted:

hand out demo CDs with your name phone number and email to absolutely everyone

make sure they're GOOD demo CDs though

maybe most people won't listen... but someone will

Make sure it's at least normalized (if not reasonably mastered) and TRACKED. Nothing worse than getting handed an audio cd that's a single 74 minute song that you can't hear without cranking the volume

Steve Evets posted:

Enjoyed both of these thoroughly. Cheers.

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ElectroPanic posted:

Azzido Da Bass — Dooms Night (Timo Maas Remix)

Really?

I'm not usually one to bag on other people's tracklists but this has got to be one of the most played-out tracks of all time

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 7, 2010

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ElectroPanic posted:

It's a great remix compared to the original that made a impact on many djs and music producers. I have my own personal reasons on putting it into the mix, thanks for your opinion and concern.

I'm not saying it's a bad track, I'm just saying it was played to death years ago. I was always fond of that Star 69 remix, however (still have a whitelabel of it on my shelf somewhere)

And for what it's worth, the reason that track is good is because of this guy

edit: ok I looked it up and it came out in 2000, I didn't even realize it was that old. I'm just turning into an old jaded gently caress, ignore me

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 8, 2010

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ElectroPanic posted:

Oh please pardon my misinterpretation its just that I have a lot of fond memories with that track, those were the good times! I also feel old :(

I just checked out Martin Buttrich's debut album Crash Test, some nice laidback tech house. I've been looking for more of this stuff, thanks for the link

My original comment was a bit snarky so your response was justified. It's all good :)

The reason I mentioned Martin Buttrich is because he actually did all the real work on all of Timo's productions behind the scenes. His solo stuff is just as good, if not better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Here is my set opening for Claude VonStroke last Friday in the Beatport Lounge at Beta. Deep, techy, and groovy, I think it turned out pretty good.

View/stream: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-the-beatport-lounge-2010-07-09
Download: http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-live-at-the-beatport-lounge-2010-07-09/download

Tracklisting:
01. Richard Davis - Honest With You [Kitty-Yo]
02. Tom Demac - In Your Eyes (Wolf + Lamb Remix) [murmur]
03. Wollion - Curly Sue (Nicole Moudaber Remix) [BluFin]
04. Soul Clap - Break 4 Life [Crosstown Rebels]
05. Appleblim & Al Tourettes - Mr. Swishy (Linkwood's Codeine Remix) [Aus]
06. Ost & Kjex - Continental Lover (Pawas Dub Mix) [Diynamic]
07. Ian Pooley & Sasse - To My Room (Dub Mix) [Pooled Music]
08. Tripmastaz - I'm Allright feat. Arram Mantana (Catz & Dogz) [Robotronic]
09. Childproof Man - Bloom [Spectral Sound]
10. Route 66 - Disco Thump [Nightshift]
11. Bleep District - Um Bongo [Lost My Dog]
12. Inland Knights - Straight Up [Drop Music]
13. Maetrik - Glider [Audiomatique]
14. Stefano testa - 10 Jackson Avenue (Los Updates Remix) [Rebirth]
15. Bvoice & Khz - Hoerle UI (iO & WestBoy Remix) [Highway]
16. Mathias Kaden - Roots (Luna City Express & Matthias Tanzmann Remix) [Vakant]

• Locked thread