Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Don't have a mix, but a funny/infuriating thing happened to me while I was djing and figured this would be a good place to post it.

I'm going behind the decks to start spinning records, the music is playing all throughout the area but the only people in the covered area where the dj booth and the food were was this group of 50-60something old squares sitting around and loudly complaining about the music, I think they were neighbors or family members of the guy throwing the party. I start spinning and one of the guys comes over and asks if I can play some classic rock. I politely told him, I'm just here to spin minimal techno, I'm here as a favor to the guy throwing the party and I only brought 3 cds of this kind of music to play. He asks if I'll play a cd that he gets from his car (wtf?) and I tell him, I'm just going to do a short set here, maybe the next dj will play classic rock (a lie, my friend specifically asked house and techno djs to play). So he goes back. I get one song into my set and one of the other old guys comes up and says "we're the only people on the dance floor, why can't you play some music we like?" Not to mention the fact that there are lots of people dancing on the bus that's parked directly next to the dance area, and people chilling out by the fire listening to it, I just told him cordially that I didn't BRING any other cds because this is a house and techno event that house and techno DJs were booked for.

So I keep playing, keep in mind I am only 3 songs into my set at this point and am in the middle of mixing tracks, and this loving psycho slurring bitch comes up screaming "CHANGE IT! CHANGE IT! CHANGE IT!", she walks behind the dj booth and gets in my face and tries to pull me away from the decks. I try to tell her the same thing I told the others and she just keeps on screaming at me, pulls my headphones off and starts slapping me on the chest and wraps her nasty old claws around my neck trying to strangle me. Of course it's an old lady, I'm not going to hit her back and she's not actually hurting me but naturally I'm pissed at this point and just tell her "fine, you want me to turn the loving music off? you wanna listen to silence? I'll turn it off" and she just starts strangling me again and won't let me reach past her to turn the mixer off. Some people on the bus and outside are starting to notice and come down at this point and eventually her friends come over and lead her away. Of course my friend who is throwing the party is nowhere to be found this entire time, I'm not even sure if he knew it happened. I chill out on the bus for a while with my friend, drink and smoke some more but I didn't end up getting to do my set, so we just took off at like midnight.

I'm not really mad that she lost her cool, I don't even really care that she put her hands on me because she obviously wasn't trying to actually kill me and it was kind of funny in retrospect. What shocks me the most is how loving insolent that whole group's attitude was. You come to a free party to drink a bunch of beer, a party that you KNOW is a techno/house event, and then have the loving GALL to demand to listen to some other genre of music. You know an awesome place where you can listen to Springsteen and the Stones all night long? Your loving house!! Also, basically every pub or tavern in this county! This is probably the only event in my town where you can even hear minimal techno this month and a lot of people are grooving on it here so if you don't like it, loving leave! To me this is the epitome of why I don't like playing at bars, weddings etc, djs get absolutely no respect and are treated like glorified ipods. No one would THINK of assaulting a piano player at a restaurant who isn't playing the genre you like, or a live band trying to put on a show, and I'm up here mixing a bunch of tracks that I spent hours selecting, trying to come up with a good flow to get people dancing for this thing.

So, anyone else have good stories about getting attacked by drunk people with bad taste? I know it must've happened to some of you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

tylertfb posted:

you really really shouldn't take those kind of gigs IMO. nobody wins in that situation, not the bar patrons, not the DJ's, nobody.

Yeah, I was doing it as a favor to a friend. Never again.

• Locked thread