Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

yo jonmitz put me down as a new york "breakcore/drum and bass/4x4 bassline" dj and tyler as socal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Portfolio posted:

Title (Any Additional Information) - Artist
this seems crazy to me i've always done it artist - track (if its a remix probs put it here) but it seems like 50/50 split how people do it, so i guess it doesn't really matter.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Altoidss i said I was gonna listen to your mix too sorry I haven't gotten aroudn to it yet. I'll do it during my workday tomorrow.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

jonmitz posted:

The cops got called on the party and their house was structurally damaged (people were dancing so hard that the in-floor heater broke off it's support and broke a gas pipe and fell through the house)
drat, that's pretty hot! Would've been cool if the house blew up at a massive drop. Would've made you a dj legend.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Spooky posted:

This is an drat good tune, and a solid remix. Nice find.
Seriously. With this and the Messiah remix, I think I'm gonna have to jump on this trend of hipster remixes of dnb.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Spooky posted:

Messiah remix?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUJTfUbpJNo

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

tylertfb posted:

ahaha I thought you guys were talking about a remix of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzR8YT6P3Sw
Such a harder track than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UAUDbWrVhA

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Altoidss posted:

I might show up, vernacular.

I'm running into another problem with my mixes. I don't like to go into a set with a planned out list, but I'm simply getting too many songs right now to be able to select another song that sounds good and mix it in. What do you guys do to help ease song selection? I'm having trouble with my song pool and it's only 142 songs.
I feel you. Especially if you're bringing records to the club, its really easy to forget what's on where, so I like to put poo poo i KNOW i'm gonna wanna drop at the front of the crate, but with laptop djing, its a whole different game. I've cheated with pieces of paper or little notepad files. Hell I used to play Ableton sets all the time.

But really, the only real thing to do is know your collection. Its just a part of being a DJ. After a while, you can just feel it "ooooh i wanna drop this track next"

And don't be too self-conscious. Another part is having bad transitions and selecting bad songs that just don't mesh together. Not every set's gotta be some epic, perfectly beat matched and in key and compliment eachother perfectly. You're just dropping tracks. Some transitions just aren't that hot. I forget about a DJ trainwrecking in like 30 seconds and I'll totally forget about it unless he keeps loving it up.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

All my music is on a file server and I take all the albums and singles I think I'll need, which always leads to me not having the jam I want.

Its really bad if I had misjudged the party I was going to spin and didn't bring all my 90s radio classics

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

jonmitz posted:

you have an extremely pretentious attitude about mixing, and music in general. stay classy, threatis
I don't think I'd label Threatis as pretentious, he's got like the least pretentious attitude towards djing I've ever heard. Dude has been djing for like a decade and knows how to but allows himself to be seen in the club with one of those vc-100s and a laptop. And his attitude is "spin records, gently caress all these made up rules". I don't think that is pretentious or pompous.

If you wanna drop it, that's all good and I'm sorry, but couldn't we have a place for DJs to shoot the poo poo and discuss the craft bluntly AND have their mixes ignored? I mean, there are people with wildly different DJing philosophies, and I see people say stuff in here that is out of control and just does not vibe with my attitude towards music at all. Can't we dialogue about poo poo like that?

And I feel you and other people if they don't feel like this is the place for harsh crits or big differences in opinion. I definitely see how that could stifle the gently caress out of this thread, but it can't JUST be a place for us to pat eachother on the back, right?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

vanilla slimfast posted:

Somewhat on topic: Every year a message board I run does a "worst mix" competition. This year's entries are up, if you want to hear the hilarity. The main rule is that they have to be under 30 minutes long.

http://tr.im/ilSe

They're so bad they're good...maybe
I love poo poo like this, thank you.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Altoidss posted:

Really??? He always draws massive crowds in LA when he shows up...

I don't know if that's a good gauge. You just have to flyer at a couple highschools and your LA massive will be filled with 10's of thousands of people, regardless of the lineup :)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

vanilla slimfast posted:

I know it's a bit pedantic but honestly these different genres have unique identities and histories
Exactly, and as a DJ, I think you gotta pedantic in that way. I mean, a DJ should be the biggest music snob in the room, right?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Terrible Horse posted:

no hooks, no vocals that dont sound like ghosts
Spectacular name for a mix.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Altoidss posted:

Just how malleable are average bar crowds? I've never played at one but I feel like if you start out with something that will make people dance, you might be able to guide them a bit. The house music I play is pretty (really) poppy, so might I be able to get away with it if I say, start with Snoop Dogg Millionaire, then dubstep for a little, then into pop crookers/bloody beetroots/steve aoki kind of music? Or do people not want to ever stray outside the usual tempo range?
You'd think warming dudes up would work, but in my experience it never does. Really, 95% of the time, a top 40 bar/frat crowd will get kinda mad if you play something they haven't heard before, especially anything they perceive as "techno".

And tempo and pacing really doesn't matter at all. I've watched dudes just rewind and bounce between totally different tracks without anyone on the floor batting an eye. This works especially well with hip hop.

But really, this is all part of reading a room. You'll know when all everyone wants to hear is Shake Ya rear end and Juicy.

e: I may be too harsh, because I've been able to get away with playing Daft Punk and Justice and Digitalism and all those acts that were still hot when I still played out. Really, all you have to do is sell the girls. If they're feeling it, the guys will.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 8, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

tylertfb posted:

tonight at 7pm PST (that's in 2.5 hrs, kids)

http://www.sosimplerecords.com/ssss.php

chat me up on AIM: tylertfb
sad i missed it, sure you killed it

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

e: nm

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Altoidss I punked out on listening to some of your mixes before so I'm doing it now.

e: But so far, I'm way impressed with the speed and cleanliness of your mixing. Especially for a first time dude, drat.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 20, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Pretty great dude. For a first time, your pacing and speed and track selection were just great. Not my style of music so I can't tell how hip all those tracks are, but you should be proud. There's really nothing I can say, not even any small things. A very solid mix. I felt like I was at a Trouble & Bass night.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Be real as hell and just do an rca->1/8" to the mic input on your laptop and record with audacity (or a real program if you've got that). I'm fairly certain there's two pairs of rca outs for the main channel. One to your monitors, one to your laptop. It'll take a minute to get your levels right, so soundcheck with a couple random records first. It won't be pristine, but it'll definitely be good enough.

You can buy one of those really inexpensive Behringer USB things with the one RCA input if you don't feel like doing it the super-raw way.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IanTheM posted:

@135bpm

that's a good bpm

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

LOL is that "Santogold - Unstoppable (Calculon & Eric Yo! bootleg)" Calculon of San Diego? I can't remember what crew he was in.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Haha yup that's him. I've never seen a DJ more drunk/not able to handle his being drunk and spinning than him. I'll check your mix of course though cuz you gotta rep for the junglist crew.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

tylertfb posted:

it's him (and eric). they've been making dnb / dubstep bootlegs of pop songs for a good time now.
LA's Heavy Hittaz did that all the time, too. I'm sure it's pretty common and a pretty easy way to get played, I suppose. Just every couple of months take a look at the pop scene, see what's hot.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

e: whoops wrong thread

\/\/\/\/ hahahahahahahahah

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

trans fat posted:

How come mixes are never released in seperate-track format? It makes it inconvenient to listen to, unless you've just got them playing all day every day.

I used to make cue sheets for my big mp3s, but no one but the nerdiest of nerds can play them properly so I don't even bother. And zipping up a mix that's split to seperate mp3s doesn't sound like any fun.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Socket Ryanist posted:

Even at burning man?

Edit: Also I know of very few EDM DJs who DON'T spin for free around here (getting paid only gas money + drinks counts as "free" in my mind)

It depends on the genre, too. Like I only threw free parties (about 3 dozen of them), and all the djs were cool with it. They were just happy to play weird music and have people vibe of it. We owned a PA, so it wasn't really much trouble for us to throw a party; kids would bring us bottles and offer us drugs. It felt relatively reciprical. Sure, it wasn't 1:1, but we loved the kids and they were down for us, so we were happy to put on parties.

But that kinda poo poo doesn't work if you want more than 200 people to come out to your poo poo, or if you wanna play in a club, not in someone's house. Its all about your philosophy. Some kids are hustlin, some kids are just out for the vibes.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I think thinking about it purely as "hustling" is kinda unappealing. Actually try and make some friends, hang with people you'd like to hang with, not cuz they'll give you something. It's gotta be organic. I know some kids who just played the club game, and it really didn't seem to be that great in the long run.

But I never really played any big nights or anything, and haven't played a party in a long time so what do I know?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IS THAT THE RECORD CASE FROM GROOVE!?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Threatis posted:

*gives you the nod*
ahahahahaah

My favorite part of the movie is what i like to call "the gayze" where some dude gets a lightshow and starts kissing a bro.

and "Digweed's spinning at my solstice wedding" it's all so great

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Threatis posted:

it was "Forrest Green is spinning at our solstice wedding".
ohmygod ur right and that's a 100x better. She still spins a bunch of stuff in SF IIRC.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

And if you've just got the knobs on your mixer, a very slight bass boost and a general gain doesn't hurt. Older songs will still sound different, but not so tinny.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Loretta Trampface posted:

If a track is hot, who gives a poo poo if it's by somebody well known? Isn't the point of DJing to play good tracks? Or is it just to show how ~obscure~ your "refined" tastes are?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is the difference between a wedding/high school prom/mobile dj and actually DJing.

Yes, it sucks, but bloghouse teenagers actualyl ruined "One More Time", you can't drop it without looking like a nerd. This is just how the whole deal works. Its tragic, but its the way.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

SUBFRIES posted:

Thanks for posting about this, didn't even know about it. Threw together a quick mix last night, real goal was just to get them to consider me to open at one of their DC events:

http://www.mixcloud.com/r4ns0m/trouble-bass-dj-mix-competition/

01. Ac Slater - "Take You Feat. Ninjasonik (Nadastrom Remix)" [Trouble & Bass]
02. Dubbel Dutch - "Throwback" [Palms Out Sounds]
03. Supra1 - "Still Believe Feat. Amy Douglas (Brackles Remix)" [Trouble & Bass]
04. Blawan - "Fram" [Hessle Audio]
05. Boddika - "Electron" [Swamp 81]
06. Creep - "Days (Deadboy Remix)" [Young Turks]
07. Jinder - "Youth Blood (Bok Bok Remix)" [Trouble & Bass]
08. Greena - "Tenzado" [Apple Pips]
09. Redlight - "Stupid (Instrumental)" [Digital Soundboy Record Co.]
10. Toddska - "Gal From England" [Girls Music]
11. Instra:Mental - "When I Dip" [NonPlus+]
12. Addison Groove - "It's Got Me" [3024]

Went kind of warehousey, was going to play some dubstep but didn't have much time to record.
Awww man, i think star eyes used to be a HUGE junglist you coulda brought it. Nice selections though.

• Locked thread