Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Rivfader posted:

Pig & Dan

Wicked drop with Terminate, what's the track after it? I know I've heard it listening to samples from Juno, is it D-nox and Beckers?

As a question, for sets and track selection, do most people have a pre-fabricated set they play out or is it all impromptu? I'm still trying to get beat matching down to second nature and my key matching is non-existent off the cuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Steve Evets posted:

Finally got around to doing a new mix for Fall. It's more of a long trip/headphones mix of moody, melodic electronica, prog house and techno.

Tracklist:
Caribou - Sun (Midland Re-Edit)

Phenomenal rework of that tune, I often tend to skip the original when listening to the album.

Excellent mix altogether really enjoyed it.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Skeletard posted:

Feedback is greatly appreciated, I want to get better at this after all.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what is going wrong, so work on it.

I'm going to say what I said in one of the other SA DJ threads - every once in a while someone posts a mix that either a) sucks or b) is uninspiring. When someone points this out the person that posted the mix gets all defensive and the thread spirals into poo poo. But the advice given is usually good, and it consists of: dig deeper, have some sort of vision for the mix (e.g. pick a genre or two) and don't post if you're clearly not happy with it.

I also personally think playing two, or in your case, three tracks by the same artist, especially back to back is a "DJ don't." But I also have rules like "don't play Deadmau5" so, you know, I'm a dickhead.

You're a good judge if things are going right or wrong, and recording things and listening back to it is the best way to tell what's going on. Once you're relatively happy with it post it.

That all said, I quickly listened to your mix and was all "eh, not my thing." so I can't really give you specific feedback. Qualifying that: I'm not much of a dubstep fan, lyrics like "I breathe air" slay me, and I'm kind of over hearing Daft Punk in mixes. That's all totally my own baggage.

Also everyone keeps pimping this book: http://www.amazon.com/How-DJ-Right-Science-Playing/dp/0802139957

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Rivfader posted:

New set. Starts off housey, ends darker. Clocks in at 1,5 hours.

Figure 8 - Timepiece A - 13601

Tracks by, amongst others, Skudge, Jonas Kopp, Lucy, Xhin, Ben Klock, Mike Parker.

Feedback as usual appreciated. :)

Stream: Click!

Download: Click!

Thanks for this, have to say I always appreciate your mixes.

It's odd because whenever I go scouting for music to play I'm pretty sure this is stuff that I would skip through and be like "eh it goes no where." How do you decide on what tracks stick out to you on beatport? I think I need to just get a ton of techno and play around with it more.

Any chance of a tracklist?

Cowboy. fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 26, 2011

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
So after much lurking I'm doing what I swore I wouldn't. It's my birthday so gently caress it, here's my semi-crummy first mix. Mixed on turntables with Serato Scratch Live.

Forewarning: some less than stellar transitions, key lock was on one deck and not the other. Around min 27 and min 56 (wrong button!) being especially egregious. Gets a little too busy / terrible at minutes 23-24 and 64-66.

Starts out sort of glitchy (like two tracks), moves towards dark techno (inspired by Rivfader's mixes) for a few tracks, then strips back to tech-house and house. Last song is kind of tacked on because it's an old favourite. Track list is all over the place in terms of dating, definitely not bleeding edge. Clocks in at an hour forty.

Anyways, enjoy (or don't).

http://soundcloud.com/pending-1/happy-birthday-to-me-mix

Gold Panda - Quitters Raga
Microtrauma - Contrast
Anthony Rother - Man Up The Hill (Gui Boratto Remix)
Xenia Beliayeva - Analog Effekt (Original Mix)
Marc Romboy & Stephan Bodzin - Phobos (Pan-Pot Remix)
Wehbba - Double Standards (Joseph Capriati Remix)
Andreas Florin - Apodis (A-Brothers Remix)
Dusty Kid - Lynchesque
Applescal - In The Mirror(Max Cooper Remix)
Super Flu - Rattelschneck
Minilogue - Doiicie A
Jabberjaw - Speak for Some of That
N/A Feat. Rosina - Fables And Fairytales (Deniz Kurtel Remix)
Maya Jane Coles - What They Say
Mr. G - JB's (Original Mix)
Henrik Schwarz, Âme & Dixon feat. Derrick L. Carter - Where We At (Version 3)
Roland Clark - Black In My Soul (Tiger Stripes Main Remix)
Arsenal - Estupendo (Gui Boratto Remix)
John Tejada - Sweat (On The Walls) (Original Mix)
Mendo - Aventuras
Alex Smoke - Sortie
Minilogue - The Leopard (Extraweit Remix)

Again, the transitions are not as super tight as I'd like it. Feedback and comments welcome.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

GIMMEL posted:

Made a new pretentious indie hipster electro whatever mix, it's good:

Ok so I totally listened to this and was a little put off by I guess the track order? Loved the track selection but the order felt off, does that make sense? Whatever, it doesn't matter. What does is that you've gotten me in to Austra, so thanks.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Rivfader posted:

Tracklist as promised:

That Spectr - Dance 4 Me track is loving rad. Also see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIkhewd69SE

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Rivfader posted:

It's over the top and I actually feel a tad nasty when playing it, but it's really got this get-up-and-dance vibe about it that I like. Guilty pleasure I guess. ;)

I will say it did feel out of place in the mix at first, and then i just got into it and gave no fucks.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
I made a Deep (moving into Tech) House mix. It's only the second one I've posted here because I'm still learning and I like to trainwreck (not much of that here, fortunately).

http://soundcloud.com/pending-1/september-house-mix

Tracklist:

Karol XVII & MB Valence - Deep Beginning (Big Al's Unreleased Edit)
Butch - Aerobic (Anton Pieete Remix)
Alec Chizhik and Mark Mehta - Chaos Theory
Midland - Dead Eyes
Tom Wax - Keep Off the Grass
Marvin Zeyss - Hover
Marvin Zeyss - Next to You (Maya Jane Coles Remix)
Classixx - Into the Valley feat. Karl Dixon (Julio Bashmore Remix)
Mark & Stevens - Cold Blood & Smooth
Mendo - Morena
Hector - What the Hec?
Chilly Gonzales - You Can Dance (Robotaki Remix)
Ante Perry, Tube & Berger - Ever Never

Feedback appreciated. Also, a number of tracks are scrounged from around these forums.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

mitztronic posted:

You know that feeling when you find a song you've been looking for a long rear end time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o25nrTXhCo

Song is so sick...

gently caress yes, Steve Lawler played this (or some variant thereof) when I saw him in San Fran and I've been hunting on/off for it forever. Thanks!

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
A mix for November, not really sure I'm keen on the overall flow but it's something. I guess best described as minimal/house with strong melodies moving towards techno at the end? First mix is a bit rocky. Feedback appreciated

http://soundcloud.com/pending-1/novembermix

Lusine - Make It Easy (John Tejada Remix)
Circulation - Turquoise
El Mundo & Satori - In A Blink Of An Eye
Max Cooper - Qualia
Dominik Eulberg - Daten-Ubertragungs-Kusschen (Max Cooper Mix)
Microtrauma - Contrast
Sideshow - If Alone feat. Paul St Hilaire (Flight Remix)
Ryan Davis - Fading Star
N'TO - Cats & Dogs (Traumer Pacific Winds Remix)
Traumer - Violon Nous
JAK - Automatonic (Audio Injection Remix)
Beastie Respond - Syncopy (Blawan Remix)
Trentemoller - Moan (Radio Slave's Mix for K)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
Made a mix that just plods along at 120 BPM, mostly mellow house. It's a lot tighter than previous stuff I've posted since I gave up and used the cheater sync button. Feedback appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/pending-1/plod-on

Greenville Massive - What a Wonderful Place
Kink - Bitter Sweet (Original Mix)
Peter Horrevorts - Siren
Anette Party - Moreno (Ft. Anita Coke)
Deniz Kurtel - My Heart
Uniforms - March of No Coincidence (Original Version)
Caribou - Sun (Midland Re-Edit)
Junior Boys - Hazel (Ewan Pearson's House Remix)
Delano Smith - Ancestors (Deep Mix)
Oxia - Less Time
Deniz Kurtel - The L Word Feat. Jada (Guy Gerber's Countryside Remix)

• Locked thread