Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
this mix is pretty ownage but I think you shouldn't played the vocal part of 'blind' over the vocal part of 'world invaders'. vocals over vocals is kind of a no-no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

mingster posted:

now that you can easily get programs that will scan your tracks for key/bpm i don't know why everybody doesn't do it. on the other hand, i've had years of music theory, concert band, etc. that i'm guessing most DJs haven't had.

I absolutely hate pre-planning anything w/r/t DJing. It's a very very spontaneous thing for me, and doing all that pre-work (let alone working on a mix for an entire WEEK!!!) sounds like the opposite of fun to me. I love pulling records outta my box and slamming them on.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
you really really shouldn't take those kind of gigs IMO. nobody wins in that situation, not the bar patrons, not the DJ's, nobody.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
That's kind of a famous sample. The most well known use being from Acen's 'Close Your Eyes', of which there were about a million remixes but I wouldn't be surprised if a more recent track use the sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DjNtZLZUw&feature=related

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
i haven't listened to 'ping pong' in a minute. that song rules...thanks for the reminder.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Dubstep more like Dullstep :rimshot: :tipshat:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
How do you stand having your decks/mixer so low like that. That looks like a recipe for lower-back pain to me (DJ old guy)

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

A MIRACLE posted:

OK, after you mix in a new song do you speed it back up or just keep it at the old tempo?

very helpful thank you

edit: ok just reread that... ok

99% of mixes you hear generally stay the same tempo, beginning to end. When you mix a new song in, you match it to the old song and then leave it at that speed.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

ahaha I thought you guys were talking about a remix of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzR8YT6P3Sw

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

ManoliIsFat posted:

I feel you. Especially if you're bringing records to the club, its really easy to forget what's on where, so I like to put poo poo i KNOW i'm gonna wanna drop at the front of the crate, but with laptop djing, its a whole different game. I've cheated with pieces of paper or little notepad files. Hell I used to play Ableton sets all the time.

But really, the only real thing to do is know your collection. Its just a part of being a DJ. After a while, you can just feel it "ooooh i wanna drop this track next"

And don't be too self-conscious. Another part is having bad transitions and selecting bad songs that just don't mesh together. Not every set's gotta be some epic, perfectly beat matched and in key and compliment eachother perfectly. You're just dropping tracks. Some transitions just aren't that hot. I forget about a DJ trainwrecking in like 30 seconds and I'll totally forget about it unless he keeps loving it up.

Yeah, crate management is a pretty important thing to get the hang of. When I'm playing all vinyl I'll sort stuff kind of by 'energy level' or whatever if that makes any sense so I can go straight to the mood I'm going for. On Serato I make little sub-crate folders all the time and drop 30 or 40 tracks in there. It definately can help to cut your options down a little bit beforehand so that you go into a more focused direction. On the other hand, when I play in my bedroom, I have pretty much instant access to my huge wall-o-vinyl and that's fun to do too, but maybe creates wierd, sprawling sets.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Threatis posted:

man, i HATE HATE HATE the loving low mid and high mid poo poo on their eqs

yeah that is the dumbest poo poo ever. Way more a marketing gimmick to impress easily impressed people than an actual useful feature. I've never enjoyed mixing on those A&H mixers.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Threatis posted:

why the gently caress does anyone put that much thought into it?

here's what you do:

- fill your crate with songs you like.
- play them.

forget it threatis, it's trance

Click here for the full 799x343 image.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I'm doing an internet radio show tonight, 7pm PST

http://www.sosimplerecords.com/ssss.php

techno n house, house n techno

I'll try and have some kind of live link to send requests and comments as it comes up.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

MrPeanut posted:

Not sure how much Q&A has been going on in this thread, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

[a bunch of stuff snipped]

some advice:

DO continue to have a nice, outgoing personality and meet bar owners and venue bookers.

DO NOT,DO NOT, DOOOOOOOO NOTTTTTTT try to play 'psy-trance/trance/house' to a crowd expecting to hear top-40 and popular rap hits. Millions of DJs before you have tried that and it 100% a losing proposition. Nobody has a good time, not the bar owner, not the crowd, not you, the DJ. You will fail at this. People offer me these kinds of gigs from time to time and I am always tempted but always come to my senses and turn them down. Sorry, you're going to have to find another situation if you wanna play 'underground' dance music to a crowd. Try and befriend promoters who promote those kinds of parties/nights.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

vanilla slimfast posted:

Somewhat on topic: Every year a message board I run does a "worst mix" competition. This year's entries are up, if you want to hear the hilarity. The main rule is that they have to be under 30 minutes long.

http://tr.im/ilSe

They're so bad they're good...maybe

man I'd be so tempted to enter a straight-up prog/tech-prog/"tech-house for people who like trance" mix of like dubfire tracks and all that crap just to be a dick.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

mixing live for a couple of hours right now (and every thursday, 7pm PST)

send requests or comments to: tylertfb on AIM

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

archie posted:

also i don't understand why quite a lot of you guys want to play at parties and such where you have to play music you don't like. this isn't what dj'ing is about. you play what you want to play, you're not just some glorified jukebox. push your sound. playing at frat parties etc won't lead you anywhere, other than to the repair shop when some of the bros try and have a scratch or such on your gear.

ehhh sometimes you just want to rock a party and see people getting down. bad taste in music or not. I don't have this desire that often anymore but i'll play a dumb party once or twice a year and have a good time. I mean I had more fun playing disco and r&b hits at my uncle's 50th birthday party (to a packed, drunk dancefloor) last year than I did at at least 4 or 5 club gigs I did, where I played killer music, mixed well, to small, inhibited crowds.

quote:

doctor nick just go to somewhere like beatport.com or another site that has music for sale and click on a certain genre and preview a few tunes etc - you'll be able to get a feel for it that way

this is a good idea. also check out https://www.juno.co.uk

You should also trawl around discogs.com and follow links to the labels that artists you like are on, and then find similar artists, and similar labels, etc...

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
speaking of beatport: If I add a track to my basket when it's brand new and at the higher brand new price ($2.99 or whatever) and then leave it in there for a month or so until the price drops to the normal price, will it automatically drop in my basket or do I have to re-add it to get the price-drop?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I came out of the womb with awesome taste and a perfect and deep knowledge of every important chicago house and detroit techno classics, I don't know what all y'alls problem is :kamina:

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 14, 2009

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

actionjackson posted:

lol @ thread

anyway, anyone know where I can find dub techno mixes? That poo poo is pretty awesome, not much to dance too but it's nice and chillax. This just came to mind after hearing this pretty awesome release on beatport

https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/release/detail/166114/The%20Sark%20Remixes

I'll upload one I did a bunch of years ago when I get home

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

tylertfb posted:

I'll upload one I did a bunch of years ago when I get home

here it is:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/58717465bdffde77/

I did this in 2002, lots of abuse of the kaoss pad fx, a couple of funny record skip spots. I still listen to this mix a lot, might be one of my favorite pieces of work.

I recorded a mix of some pretty banging techno tonight, going to listen to it a few times and decide if it's any good.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
tonight at 7pm PST (that's in 2.5 hrs, kids)

chat me up on AIM: tylertfb

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

ManoliIsFat posted:

sad i missed it, sure you killed it

kinda did a low-energy set, was feeling a little mellow last night for some reason.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

ShoodZ posted:

This thread needs more GhettoTech / Booty

Here ya go:

99 Mb - 43:33 Minutes

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5936099377c2ba33/

Ac Slater - Jack Got Jacked (Jack Beats Remix)
Blackfinger - UMF (Heavy Feet Remix)
Ac Slater - Kuku
Ac Slater - Party Like Us (Udachi Remix)
MIC Perri - Have A Nice Day (Calvertron Remix)
Krames / Bobby LaBeat - Gat Tottin'
Fagget Fairys - Samo Ti (Ac Slater Remix)
Tim Healey / Marc Adamo - Ghetto Blaster (Calvertron Remix)
Mikix The Cat - Zulu King
Krames / Bobby LaBeat - Crooked Cops
Fagget Fairys - Uzela (Ooe Ee Remix)
The Body Snatchers -I Like What I See (HiJack Mix)
DJ Sega, Tameil, Rob3 - Robot Club Rock
South Rakkas Crew - Mad Again (Drop The Lime Remix)
Dynamite MC, Jack Beats - What (Vocal Mix)
Jokers Of The Scene - Y'all Know The Name (Flosstradamus Remix)
DJ Tim Dolla - Pinky And The Brain

Did this on my scrubby loving poo poo Reloop RP 2000Mk2 who cant hold a pitch for poo poo

so that's what they call ghettotech/booty these days, eh? :sigh: I'm getting old

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Altoidss posted:

Ghettotech to me is like 140 BPM DJ Assault kind of poo poo

140bpm? yeah, if it's screwed and chopped ;) :twisted:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/pg4m59

01. m.in - work that body - off
02. matt tolfrey - i just can't take it - cocoon
03. yasuo sato - my pad is mine - 3rd wave
04. santiago salazar - materia oscura - rush hour
05. dj compufunk - ninja clone - motech
06. gary martin - good with the bad - moods&grooves
07. samuel l session - choose two - be as one
08. theo parrish - falling up (technasia mix) - third ear
09. paul woolford and delphic - counterpoint - r&s
10. chelonis r gones and marc romboy - the beat (robert hood remix) - systematic
11. mehdi d and the crosh - roda (dosem remix) - *cutz
12. trevor rockliffe - three bags full - teggno
13. ryan sadorus - the spirit of ron hardy - backs/ash
14. kevin saunderson - rock to the beat (ben sims remix) - fabric
15. sotp - untitled - *
16. dj bone - the vibe - subject detroit
17. yasuo sato - power dice - logos
18. petar dundov and steve rachmad - verbonden - music man

housey/detroity techno

*sotp track = track I produced

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
new mix of trax I bought off beatport tonight. house 'n techno

http://www.zshare.net/audio/59947016b76662c8/

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

SixOhSix posted:

As an aside, are people fine with the length of these? I'm trying to get as much in each writeup to help out as much as possible, but I don't want to end up pissing people off with massive walls of text. Critique the critiques I guess!

Longer is good. Wish everybody put this much effort into critiques. Getting detailed, honest criticism is such a difficult thing as an artist (or I guess for dj's an "artist") that anybody who gets a reaction should be very greatful

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Splits posted:

As a long time fidget/electro producer/dj I'm a bit upset as well, but not enough to give a gently caress. My catalog murders newcomers.

Long time? That poo poo's only been around for 3 years, max

quote:

Give my mix a listen, it's 40 minutes of good electro fidget fun and I'm really looking for some comments. It's pre-mixdown so I haven't cleaned up the bass tracks entirely nor have I done much to end it, but it's there and I love new input. I think there will be some lunice and a little thunderheist thrown in for good measure towards the end to pull it into thugged out gangbangin' electro.

I'm trying to find a manager at the moment and start doing bookings as well... so if you know anyone booking parties... I travel for cost and a place to stay while I'm building a name, hint hint everyone reading this thread. Every party should have a Detroit local anyway, isn't that in some rulebook somewhere?

If you're a Detroit local and you're calling crookers et.al. electro that's pretty sad. You of all people should know about the 'real' poo poo.

sorry to be all negative but I'm really cranky today and have hit my limit.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
this is electro you jokers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxQHuS6fR6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4nNwbAGsa8

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

SixOhSix posted:

Well, some of Crookers' old stuff was pretty tight. Then I don't know what happened, but yea now it's whatever the hell atrocity it is now.

i'm saying you can't be a 'long time fidget/"electro" (notice the scare quotes)' dj or producer because that poo poo ain't been around for a long time yet

edit: raaaagh I really should chill out I guess

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

SixOhSix posted:

If anything, since these are showing top tracks of each decade of electro before this one, it shows how rapidly the overall broad 'electro' scene has evolved. This is really getting into a realm of arguing what should mean what in music, and frankly can be done with about any genre that has evolved over time (it's also why I've typically avoided discussing this stuff in the past before because it just ends in rage and tears for everyone).

crookers, sinden, bloodybeetroots, everything that's called 'electro' these days is NOT an evolution of the older stuff. These guys have no lineage to the original detroit/NY electro scene, and their ursurpation of the 'electro' moniker is pushing all those old originators even further into obscurity (as demonstrated by this very thread!!!)

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
look guys, I'm old (a lot older than most of you probably) and way past my time. you kids get all the bookings, the fun, the girls, the drugs. leave a bitter old man my memories at least? a little respect? it's not too much to ask. thank you.

i absolutely don't think any of you should play anything other than what you like. that goes absolutely without saying. if you're a 'anything for the crowd' kind of guy, then go for it. I totally get that and respect it (even thought that's not ME or my preference) but it's absolutely not too much at all to ask that you get a little historical perspective about things. it will only serve to enrich your own experience.

SixOhSix posted:

gently caress it, this is done, and this is why I refused to get involved in NMD in the first place.

's just words, dude. a little discussion from time to time to make everybody think of things and remind everybody where they stand and for why can't hurt. 'the unexamined life....' and all that

and just for the record: my posting style in this last page is kind of in the 'cranky old techno obsessive' mold that has a real long an storied history on the internet and as such is kind of a self-cariacature (but it contains a heavy kernel of the truth) and if this is your first encounter with the stereotype, well then congradulations, one more thing to cross off your list of experiences.

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 29, 2009

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Terrible Horse posted:

ANYWAY. tyler you doing your radio show tonight?

yeah in about 20 minutes. fighting with the new serato

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

live rite now

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Splits posted:

Seems to be having some serious techincal issues. I kinda heard someone talk then some feedback and had to click off... but cool to see someone doing some live work. Is it every Thurs? I'll bookmark and check it out next week. Now it's off to b.e.d. bumpin' Cars Go Boom - Lunice Remix.

yeah i hadn't tested out my mic for a while and it had a lovely connection so it made a lot of lovely noise :(. gave up after testing it a minute.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

YesYesYall posted:

Check it out, an Old School mix I have just recently put together

Mix split into individual tracks

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HBEQX6PH

Or one track continuos mix

http://www.tunaverse.ca/Music/Dj%20K-Rec%20-%20Fun-Times%20Mixtape.mp3
(Right click to download)

Dj K-Rec Fun-Times

01. Blacksheep - The Choice Is Yours
02. Eric B & Rakim - I Ain't No Joke
03. Zapp - More Bounce To The Ounce
04. Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
55. Showbiz & AG - Soul Clap
56. Kid-N-Play - Gittin Funky
57. Eric B & Rakim - I Know You Got Soul
58. Slick Rick - Children's Story

The mixing and scratches are tight as hell on this. Good job man! I'd love to hear you do a mix of some 'deeper', lesser known old school cuts.

Anyway, this is pretty ruling.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

vanilla slimfast posted:

Use the record out instead of the master out if you can

Sound quality is going to be pretty poo poo either way, I hate the DJM 600 for recording

I swear the 600 has some built in limiter / compressor /whatever poo poo in it, cuz I really feel it fucks with levels in some way I can't exactly put my finger on. I don't like those things one bit.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

ManoliIsFat posted:

LOL is that "Santogold - Unstoppable (Calculon & Eric Yo! bootleg)" Calculon of San Diego? I can't remember what crew he was in.

it's him (and eric). they've been making dnb / dubstep bootlegs of pop songs for a good time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

trans fat posted:

How come mixes are never released in seperate-track format? It makes it inconvenient to listen to, unless you've just got them playing all day every day.

you weren't planning on skipping any of my impeccable 4 minute blends between songs, were you? hmmmmm :colbert:

• Locked thread