Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
hey jon, put me down in Canada, and my myspace is https://www.myspace.com/unicornhugz and you cn get all my mixes at https://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis

also put me down as playing bmore/philly club.

Threatis fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

oh hi thurr new thread i didn't find yet.

anyways, new mix, and this time i actually got off my lazy rear end and did a tracklisting

http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/mixes/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20Showdown.mp3

:siren:Boogie Howser - Showdown:siren:

Mustard Pimp - Gold!
Ghostface Killah - Charlie Brown (Yuksek Remix)
Debonair Samir - Charlie Brown (Part2)
Emynd - Smalltown Chavy Boy (Mat Cant's Fancy Footwork Edit)
Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al (Scottie B & King Tut Remix)
DJ Spin Laden - Whip That
Dance Area ft. Austin Boston - AA 24/7
Of Montreal - Id Engager (Mad Decent Remix)
DJ Johnny Blaze - Beats To Make It Bang
Britney Spears - Circus (Diplo Circus Remix)
Chris Cornell ft. Timbaland - Part Of Me (Brick Bandits Club Remix)
The Clipse - When Was The Last Time (tittsworth remix)
Ja Rule and Ashanti - Always On Time (Agent X Mix)
Dillinja - Twist 'Em Out (Proper villians Remix)

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Threatis posted:

oh hi thurr new thread i didn't find yet.

anyways, new mix, and this time i actually got off my lazy rear end and did a tracklisting

http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/mixes/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20Showdown.mp3

:siren:Boogie Howser - Showdown:siren:

Mustard Pimp - Gold!
Ghostface Killah - Charlie Brown (Yuksek Remix)
Debonair Samir - Charlie Brown (Part2)
Emynd - Smalltown Chavy Boy (Mat Cant's Fancy Footwork Edit)
Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al (Scottie B & King Tut Remix)
DJ Spin Laden - Whip That
Dance Area ft. Austin Boston - AA 24/7
Of Montreal - Id Engager (Mad Decent Remix)
DJ Johnny Blaze - Beats To Make It Bang
Britney Spears - Circus (Diplo Circus Remix)
Chris Cornell ft. Timbaland - Part Of Me (Brick Bandits Club Remix)
The Clipse - When Was The Last Time (tittsworth remix)
Ja Rule and Ashanti - Always On Time (Agent X Mix)
Dillinja - Twist 'Em Out (Proper villians Remix)

hmmm, may need to re-record this, my levels seem a wee bit hosed.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

chrix posted:

I've been using the X100 for close to two years now and it sounds absolutely great. I don't really buy into the A&H superiority.

man, i HATE HATE HATE the loving low mid and high mid poo poo on their eqs

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Lovin this.

Laptop DJ's: Where do you store your .mp3's? On an external Hard drive?

one big, unorganized folder that i have broken down into playlists. I'm the most unorganized dj ever.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

hey guys. quick test mix i put together. a little more housey then i usually play. lemme know what you think

http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/mixes/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20Test%20Mix.mp3

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

where do you get most of your music Threatis? i always like your track selection

edit umm t+5:00 theres a really weird transition

edit 2: umm nm lol i opened someones blog and they had background music on it. lol. it almost sounded good tho haha

i get lot of promo releases sent to me. some of the stuff is blog released, and other poo poo i buy from places like turntable lab.

edit: point of advise - stay of beatport. worst service everrrrr.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

archie posted:

a&h 4 band eq's a gimmick?

and everyone else agreeing?

i'm absolutely stunned.

i dont think it's a gimmick, but i sure think it's a giant loving pain in the rear end.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

isnemis posted:

The sun came out yesterday for the first time in a few months so I threw together some deep house to listen to. I'm pretty new to this whole DJing thing so any comments/feedback will come greatly appreciated!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/57381582cc77016d/

Deep House
40:40
256kbps

1. The Messenger - Exposures (Mr Jones Camera Shy Remix)
2. Josel - Landscapes
3. Astraglide - On & On (On & Off mix)
4. City Walkers - I Like It
5. Dean Baker - Mixed Emotions
6. Joey Negro and The Sunburst Band - He Is (Ian Friday Tea Party Mix)
7. Vincent Kwok - Las Llaves (Upz Sowhat Remix)
8. Pete Gust - So Deep Inside

8 tracks in 40 minutes?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Dance Move Burglar posted:

You'd think it was a psytrance mix or something!

i'm just saying i dont know if i could do it, i get bored after 2 minutes standing there and want to mix into the next track already.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

jonmitz posted:

there is no way this is serious.

FIrst of all I want to point out the mix is around 95% in key (I have the keys written down for all of my songs).

As for my levels, as far as I'm concerned they are fine, in a five hour mix you're going to have a few blips here and there.
I spent so much time in the past setting up everything on my computer's input (I use audio hijack pro in case anyone is interested - it basically has a 10x10 rack for effects and gains/eqs and other nice stuff), it also monitors both the RMS input and peak input, and it's set up so it never clips, so any "vocal" volume problems you've had were either with whatever equalizer you had set up on your mp3 (if you did), the fact that you use some lovely headphones or a lovely mp4 player, or the track itself wasn't mastered well enough for your golden ear.

Once I'm done recording the mix I do some post processing to any other minor problems that I find.

I honestly think you listened to my mix and tried to find a problem, so you did in your own mind.

For the record I'm not a Markus fan - I'm going to assume that his year-end mix shared a lot of tracks with mine or something since you brought it up. I just want to point out that all these tracks were 100% selected by me, I don't use DJ charts or DJ mixes to choose my songs.

First of all, just my reading the tracklist I can tell you this is something I wouldnt normally download, simply because half the tracks arent even from 2009 (by my count it is 5? - it could be higher, I'm not going to look all the tracks up).

I can see that it is a liveset - so in the future you should try a but harder to make a competitive set (in (at least) two ways):

1. You average just over 6 minutes per song, which is absurd for a live set - in the future I'd recommend practicing mixing faster, and no, it isn't easy. In comparison most of my mixes are around 3-4 minutes per song so it doesn't ever drag on or get boring - for example that 5 hour mix you replied to is about 4 and a half minutes per song - in a 5 HOUR mix.

2. You simply need to play more new tracks. You can't say "well it's a liveset." It's okay to drop an old or a classic song every now and then, but when over half of the songs you're playing are old (and by old I don't mean classics (songs people would recognize) - they're simply just old tracks that arent especially groundbreaking or exciting) you're simply not doing your job as a DJ.

Your mixing is really slow, and you don't really do anything interesting (only intro/outro mixing). When you only mix intros and ourtros it doesnt even matter if the tracks are in key. Your beatmatching is acceptable, not particularly good. That's about all I have to say - if you were a DJ in a club here I probably would have left the room not too long after you went on.

dont take critiquing very well, do ya buddy?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

jonmitz posted:

I don't take bullshit well. Point out one good criticism he had.

e: if anything this should stand as an example for others as to what is bad/unhelpful/:downs: criticism (mr smiley) and what is good (my post)

he offered really valuable help, and you got all testy.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

why the gently caress does anyone put that much thought into it?

here's what you do:

- fill your crate with songs you like.
- play them.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

and you'll never get that opening spot for digweed with that kinda attitude!

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

wait, caught a few more things here:

jonmitz posted:

there is no way this is serious.

FIrst of all I want to point out the mix is around 95% in key (I have the keys written down for all of my songs).

As for my levels, as far as I'm concerned they are fine, in a five hour mix you're going to have a few blips here and there.
I spent so much time in the past setting up everything on my computer's input (I use audio hijack pro in case anyone is interested - it basically has a 10x10 rack for effects and gains/eqs and other nice stuff), it also monitors both the RMS input and peak input, and it's set up so it never clips, so any "vocal" volume problems you've had were either with whatever equalizer you had set up on your mp3 (if you did), the fact that you use some lovely headphones or a lovely mp4 player, or the track itself wasn't mastered well enough for your golden ear.

Once I'm done recording the mix I do some post processing to any other minor problems that I find.

I honestly think you listened to my mix and tried to find a problem, so you did in your own mind.

For the record I'm not a Markus fan - I'm going to assume that his year-end mix shared a lot of tracks with mine or something since you brought it up. I just want to point out that all these tracks were 100% selected by me, I don't use DJ charts or DJ mixes to choose my songs.

First of all, just my reading the tracklist I can tell you this is something I wouldnt normally download, simply because half the tracks arent even from 2009 (by my count it is 5? - it could be higher, I'm not going to look all the tracks up).

I can see that it is a liveset - so in the future you should try a but harder to make a competitive set (in (at least) two ways):

1. You average just over 6 minutes per song, which is absurd for a live set - in the future I'd recommend practicing mixing faster, and no, it isn't easy. In comparison most of my mixes are around 3-4 minutes per song so it doesn't ever drag on or get boring - for example that 5 hour mix you replied to is about 4 and a half minutes per song - in a 5 HOUR mix.

2. You simply need to play more new tracks. You can't say "well it's a liveset." It's okay to drop an old or a classic song every now and then, but when over half of the songs you're playing are old (and by old I don't mean classics (songs people would recognize) - they're simply just old tracks that arent especially groundbreaking or exciting) you're simply not doing your job as a DJ.

Your mixing is really slow, and you don't really do anything interesting (only intro/outro mixing). When you only mix intros and ourtros it doesnt even matter if the tracks are in key. Your beatmatching is acceptable, not particularly good. That's about all I have to say - if you were a DJ in a club here I probably would have left the room not too long after you went on.

A. you use a 10x10 for mainroom trance, you master your mixes, you run post processing, then drop it to 128 kbps for download?? who's full of poo poo now?

B. new tracks? really? thats your tightest complaint? lame. I didn't listen to either of your mixes to be honest, because i find that type of music a giant loving snorefest, but "new" doesn't seem to mean "different" in either of your respective genre's.

C. dude, you're giving him poo poo as a dj for mixing? and only after the fact that he gave you a bit of poo poo? sooooouuuurrrr grapes. i do some mixes that only last 30 seconds and i slap out of them, i still don't think that makes someone a bad dj. Not everyone has gotta rinse it out for 15 loving minutes.

D. Lastly:

Stay classy Jonmitz.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Vernacular posted:

this argument should really end immediately

edit: jonmitz was acting like an idiot but c'mon, this thread gets derailed often enough as it is

I wouldn't mind an explanation of who he goes through all that trouble, then drops it to a poo poo quality level.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

again, lemme say as someone who crosses over between the "underground" and straight up club music, dont do this. as a fellow dj, it's never fun to see someone almost break into tears as they play trance to an empty dancefloor.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

tylertfb posted:

man I'd be so tempted to enter a straight-up prog/tech-prog/"tech-house for people who like trance" mix of like dubfire tracks and all that crap just to be a dick.

what would happen if dubfire played and nobody came?

we found out in ottawa when he played to 6 people a few months ago.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

MrPeanut posted:

I will say that this place does play techno on occasion so it's definitly not a lost cause, however the Saturday night dj plays top 40.

As a rule of thumb for my current move to the bars, I'm planning on dropping in a few popular techno tracks ie daft punk etc to get the people on the floor, but I'm certainly not trying to play to the typical college bar crowd. Most likely I'll be working the off nights, or the gay bars where techno reigns supreme.

I do appreciate the advice, and will certainly try to make it to some off hour nights to see how my type of music is recieved, but from what I can tell from blasting deadmau5 on the streets from my 2k dollar car system :cool: people definitly like dance techno atleast in moderation.

Fake edit: I'll post that mix whenever I get done with it.

ok, you want to play psy/trance/buttrock/whatever? go nuts, but you play it to people that weren't coming out looking for it, and you're going to be disappointed.

Example: I play some straight up "guns in the air/I get money" poo poo, but i wont play it to the white fratboys.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

boy golly, sure lovin' this slapfight over the word techo!

why do any of you care what it called? also, if someone called what i play EDM, i'd be pretty mad.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Doctor Nick posted:

this was really hot, thanks

re "techno" slap fight and electronic music genres in general, i found this guide:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

It's a spatial guide that shows what genre was descended from another, what influenced what, when it came into prominence, etc., and it has audio samples for each. The descriptions are snarky and a bit lacking, though.

ahahahahaha ishkur.

no.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Doctor Nick posted:

yeah, i cant really speak to its accuracy, i don't know much about electronic music. is ishkur infamous or something?

ishkur ran this snarky raver site for years that was baically his own sounding board for being a shut in retard. I met him when i was out in BC and wanted nothing more than to un-meet him.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Dance Move Burglar posted:

This piece of crap is full of ridiculous inaccuracies and biases and I think I may in fact have already pointed it out earlier in this thread. Read its description of progressive trance for a good idea of how bad it is

he paints prog trance as poo poo, dont see the problem here.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

jonmitz posted:

People already said it, but ishkur's guide is the biggest piece of poo poo ever.

Anyways:
Your best bet to figure out the genres is to just go through different sites (beatport, http://www.vinyl-distribution.nl/ , etc etc) and just go through the genres. Obviously everything isnt in the right place, but you can get a good general idea. The most important thing is to learn the major genres (In my opinion: House, techno, and trance). Once you figure out what those are over time you can figure out the sub genres. Some people will get very :rolleyes: at you if you cant figure out what the difference between house, electro house, and electro is, but as far as what is important to you [you being someone who is reading this and is a newcommer to the 'scene'] is to know what is is you're downloading (example: for mixes in this thread) and what you're getting into when you go to a club.

From there, over time you will breakdown genres into their sub/minor genres. (For example Electro House, Psy Trance, etc). And you can mix the genres (Tech House, Tech Trance, etc). And you can get :downs: and say a song is "electro-techno disco-house"

There are forms of electronic music that don't involve any of the major genres (dubstep). Personally, I would argue that 'indie dance/blog house' doesnt really fit under house and is it's own genre (wether it will die out in a few years or become 'major' is yet to be seen)

I guess to answer your question in a simpler (summary of above) form: Here is a basic 'guide' (or a "what do to do learn the genres"):
1. Go to beatport
2. Listen through some of the genres (my advice: House, Trance, and Techno)
3. Listen to enough that you can differentiate between them
4. Repeat 1-3 for a few different sites
5. After you do all that, repeat but replace step 2 with subgenres. You can start at beatport by doing tech house, electro house, progressive house, and psy trance, but if you really want to break it down try other sides (i.e. http://www.vinyl-distribution.nl/)

There is no one website or stupid flash guide that will be able to tell you what the genre lines are.

The reason I'm recommending you start at beatport is that it is what a large majority of people use, so what they say is electro house may not be the same as some underground dj in the middle of nowhere, it is pretty close to what the average fan/dj/clubber will associate their genres.

this is only my opinion and EDM discussion/communities seem to have the biggest problems consolidating as to what is what.

It would be nice to have a guide/description that everyone could agree upon so we could add it into the OP or something (?)

edit: :downs: I see that archie already posted pretty much this

e2: I'm going to compile what everyone has to say on this and put it in the OP since the question as to what genre is what comes up all the time

orrrr you could just listen to what you like, get a feel for the specific sound that appeals to you from whats out there, and ask questions about other genres.

or take a month and do it the jonmitz way!

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Because learning about EDM genres, styles and labels is done in a day?

I wish you'd tone down your passive agressive poo poo, he's trying to help; you're not.

edit: also dance move burglar last half of your mix was pretty decent.

I'm just saying going out, grabbing mixes, and listening to them works better than jonmitz's bullshit.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Notebook posted:

Why is it bullshit? Take it down a notch there, tiger. He gave some great advice, just because you disagree with his methods doesn't mean it's bullshit or that yours is better. You could have easily suggested your way without looking like a 'sperging baby.

what are you talking about "sperging"? learn the definition of the word before you bandy it about.

Basically jonmitz rolls through these threads trying to teach everyone how to be an "industry dj", and even gets that wrong.

The way to latch on to any music is to let it come organically. you think i got to know bmore club backwards and forwards by taking a long weekend and researching it like a term paper? No. I simply let my knowledge of it grow slowly with the more that i listened to, and the better i got to know the artists.

If you go back to 1999/2000 when i first started hitting the decks, i was a ucking mess. I was bouncing all over genres, i didn't know what i was doing, and i couldn't keep a "flow" to save my life. within about a year i figured out what i was doing, and started playing straight up Gabber with some industrial/"insert-Xcore-genre-here" poo poo mixed in.

Now here we are 10 years later and I'm playing straight up club music. do you think that happened overnight by following the bullshit jonmitz system of finding one or two genres, and trying to IMMERSE yourself in it, while igoring everything else? of course not. that not only makes you a boring loving DJ in my books, it makes you a boring loving person.

You want my advise, find a bunch of blogs that post DJ mixes, or even a thread like this, follow them, download what they put up, listen to the mix, and if you like the music, congrats. it's another weapon in your crate.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

jonmitz posted:

Just ignore him guys, he's trolling on purpose. He's never contributed anything worthwhile or helpful to either of the DJ threads.

Besides he has his own thread in PHIZ where he can circlejerk with his friends about how industry I am (someone he's never met and knows nothing about), so maybe if we ignore him he won't come back.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

yeah well thats what happens when you have nostalgia poured into your being, and the essence takes hold

ahahahaha

this, this is the poo poo that djing really need to get away from.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

stun runner posted:

I too hate when people get excited about music

yes, thats exactly what I'm talking about! you sure pegged me stun runner!

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

IanTheM posted:

I can probably hit you up on that, after I finish my lovely 12 page essay though. I should probably mention that I'm Polish/Canadian, too. I've only ever flown over the UK. In the mean time:

Too Hot To Think - 32:29
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Too%20Hot%20To%20Think%20%28Mix%29.mp3
3rd Choice (Loefah Remix) - Vex'd
I Dub - King Midas Sound
The Upside (Martyn's Down Mix) - Scuba
Birds Of Dub (Architeq Version) - Architeq
Strange Fruit - Zomby
Cloud 9 - Stranger Song
Wishful Thinking VIP - Vaccine
Sabacco - Quarta 330
For You - Floating Points
Class Of My Own - Young Chris
Misty Winter - Digital Mystikz
Get On Up - Babylon System
The Truth - Stranger Song

you're Canadian? where you at?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

IanTheM posted:

Vancouver, haven't been to a 1/2alive night unfortunately, though one of my friends used to take party pics for their nights.

holy poo poo. get out to one NOW.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

cross postin:

oh yeah, I'm going to be picking up alot of work on my Facebook fan page soon and dropping alot of exclusives there soon. add up if you want a piece.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Boogie-Howser/71457258712?ref=ts

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

I'm going to be on the radio tonight between 12 and 2am EST. I'm not sure if I'm playing the full show, or just the first hour.

I'm going to try and keep it straight up bmore/hood poo poo, but may break out a bunch of other stuff i dont get to play in de club often.

Also: I'll be opening my set with a Sat Heezy track and be giving Jay a drop on the radio. He will be getting styled on.

http://www.ckcufm.com/

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

OHHHHHHHH SNAPPPPPPP

http://www.ottawaraves.com/threatis/Boogie%20Howser%20-%20Live%20At%20The%20Docking%20Station%20(07-18-2009).mp3

well, sorry about the quality the mixer in the studio we recorded probably built by Marconi himself, but i had a loving AWESOME time making this. Friends, Beer, and a bunch of awesome callers who were PUMPED and wanted to know where else i play out.

P. Diddy – Bad Boy for Life (La Mode Bad Mother Remix)
Top Billin’ – U Don Kno Meh
Emynd – To All My Haters
Steel – On Patron
Diplo – Must Be A Devil (CSY Remix)
Pitbull feat. Lil’ Jon – The Anthem
DJ Sega – Philly Hold Up 2007
DJ Anonymous & Top Billin’ – Money To Burn
Emynd – Philly 2 Bmore
DJ Tameil – Get Money
Debonair Samir – Charlie Brown (Part 2)
Ghostface Killah – Charlie Brown (Yuksek Remix)
Little Boots – New In Town (A1 Bassline Remix)
Sharkslayer – I’ll be Around
The Brick Bandits – Colours
Kid Sister – Right Hand Hi
Das Racist – Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell
DJ Apt One – Sweatin’
Bird Peterson – Twerk (Cousin Cole Remix)
Paula Abdul – Cold Hearted Snake (Degree’s Bmore Nice Remix)
Busta Rhymes – Buy It, Use It (Diplo Remix)
Britney Spears – Piece Of Me (South Rakkas Remix)
Timbaland – The Way I Think About It
Lily Allen – Not Fair (Doctor Rosen Rosen Remix)
Chavy Boys of London – London Wild
Major Lazer – Pon De Floor (Ernold Sane Remix)
Common Universal – Mind Control (Barletta MUD Bootleg)
Rico Tubbs – Hip Rave Anthem
Tittsworth – WTF (Smoke & Mirrors Remix)
Dance Area feat. Austin Boston – AA 24/7
Michael Jackson – Bad (Mowgli Is Bad Remix)
Emynd – Smalltown Chavy Boy (Mat Cant’s Fancy Footwork Remix)
War – Low Rider (DJ Kue Remix)
Scottie B & King Tut – The Almighty Unruly Simon Joint

i wanted to do 60 tracks, but beer and women got in the way.

Threatis fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 21, 2009

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

Haha yup that's him. I've never seen a DJ more drunk/not able to handle his being drunk and spinning than him. I'll check your mix of course though cuz you gotta rep for the junglist crew.

I'd like to introduce you to a friend of mine

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

trans fat posted:

Well, sometimes I wanna let my friends listen to this awesome song. Hold on. Hold on. It's an hour long. alright let me find it. Oh, oh oh, think I'm here. Ah crap I skipped it. drat I missed it again. Oh, here it is.

back in the day people used to put cue points in, but it's really fallen out of practice. I just dont do it because its too much drat work.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Nevergirls posted:

Genres: wildstyle, disco, new wave, electro (like the old school electro), and nu electro or whatever.

About 80 minutes, 147mb

http://amitai.net/mixes/amitai-083109-disco-practice.mp3

1. Eddie Huntington - USSR
2. Five Letters - Tha Kee Tha Tha
3. Fun Fun - Happy Station
4. Valerie Dore - The Night
5. Taana Gardner - Heartbeat
6. The KLF - No More Tears
7. Rainbow Team - Dreaming
8. Savage - Don't Cry Tonight
9. Gary Numan - Films
10. Valentine - Tina Are You Ready
11. Raff - Self Control
12. Sapgna - Easy Lady
13. Klein & MBO - Dirty Talk
14. The Human League - Don't You Want Me
15. DFC Team - I.C. Love Affair
16. Capricorn - I Need Love
17. Ivan - Fotonovela
18. Mylo - Paris Four Hundred
19. Ken Laszlo - Hey, Hey Guy
20. Sphinx - Collision
21. Ryan Paris - Dolce Vita
22. Francesco Salvi - Esatto
23. Max Him - Lady Fantasy
24. Splice - Chase This Donna edit
25. Dubtribe - Do It Now
26. Lee Marrow - Shanghai
27. Time - Shaker Shake
28. Laid Back - White Horse
29. Firefly - Love
30. Peter Jacques Band - Going Dancing Down The Street
31. Flirts - Passion
32. Klein & MBO - Wonderful
33. Divine - Native Love
34. Paul Sharada - Florida
35. Madonna - Everybody (version)
36. Eddy Huntingon - Physical Attraction
37. Revanche - 1979 It's Dancing Time
38. Kraftwerk - Boing Boom Tschak
39. Den Harrow - Don't Break My Heart

loving WORD. cant wait to listen to this when i get home.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

just to put this in perspective, 1.5 years ago i had one residency and was only playing once a month.

this month I play every friday/saturday. I also am going to be playing every Thurs/Fri/Sat through the winter thats to new residencies. I also may as much DJing those three days as i do at my stuffy office day job.

the trick for me was to HUSTLE like crazy. meet other DJs get a small crew going, and just talk to bar owners. dont expect to get anything prime-time right away, but go in prepared, go in confident, and preferably with a partner (having someone to play off of helps).

If this keeps up, by this time next year I'm ONLY going to be DJing. no more day job for me :)

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

go ahead and book your own shows, but for the love of christ, NEVER work for free!

you're not only doing a disservice to yourself, but every other DJ in your hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

if you're playing some niche poo poo, yeah. go nuts. play for free because the chances of you making money is low.

if you're playing straight up house, hip hop, and other styles of club music. there is ZERO reason to play for free.

I think the main point is that i dont play a ton of EDM, i play hip hop and bmore so i can actually get into the big clubs around here.

• Locked thread