Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Looking for a job

I'm a soon to be graduate who has been working my way through college in a field that I do not intend to continue in. I have been working in IT for the last four years since I originally wanted to major in it. After starting college I changed my mind, but I kept working in the area to pay my way through school. I am just looking for a basic entry-level job where I can gain experience, and I am open to any entry-level full time jobs that my degree can be applied to.

Location: Washington DC metro or Philadelphia metro. DC preferably because my fiance might have a job there soon.

Education: I'm graduating on May 8 with my BS in Business Administration

Experience: I've worked in help desk since 2005, but I want to move out of the field. I have worked mainly in three locations, a school in Pennsylvania, a plastics/resins company and a textile company in South Carolina. Mainly I did paper filing, e-mail correspondence, take phone calls, answer tech support questions and other basic entry level tasks.

Other Skills: Italian and learning ASL

Email: PM me on here first for my e-mail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Job Seeker

Education:
BS in Business Administration from a small college in SC
Experience: 4 years in tech support at small companies in the textiles and resins industries. In these positions, I did a lot of secretarial and administrative job duties as well. Right now I'm four months (and counting) in the banking/financial industry (data governance contracting, customer support, administrative support, etc).
What I'm looking for: Anything, though I do have a preference for office jobs. I wouldn't mine administrative assistant jobs or other such positions as well.
What I'm not looking for: I'm not looking for tech jobs
Location: DC Metro area. My fiance got a job in downtown DC with the feds, and my temp contracting job is in Trenton, NJ (where there is nothing at all).
Can Start: ASAP, my current position is understanding if I tell them I found something better since I have no benefits or anything right now.

Midge the Jet fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 29, 2011

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

bam thwok posted:

I work for a healthcare management consultancy and research firm in Washington DC.

Email me; gaffind@advisory.com

Found something on there that I applied for, I sent you an email about it as well!

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Still haven't heard anything from the Advisory Board Company either, I'm going to contact the person I met with on Monday to see if the holidays had any impact (at least, I hope that's it :( ).

Posting about myself again, just for the heck of it.

Job Seeker
Looking for work in the DC metro area. The closer into the city, the better. I have a car, and would prefer to metro to work, but I could drive if I have to.

Education
Graduated this past May with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration.

Experience
Currently, I'm in a contracting position at Bank of America - Merrill Lynch. I have been working on accounts that have business on the BoA side and merging them with brokerage accounts that were on the ML side. All this has to do with the buyout that Merrill had in the economic collapse. Its interesting, but there is nothing involving my degree at all, its mostly data analysis and contacting branches to fix security flaws in accounts. I'm hoping that having the bank on my resume can help me with companies in the area.
Prior to this, I worked in technical support roles in smaller companies. I did the daily help desk things, but it isn't what I want to focus on. In these positions, I was in charge of filing items for the department as well as keeping inventory. Also I helped with audits since one of them was publicly traded...before it declared chapter 11.

What I am looking for
I need a full time job. My fiance has been living in a rented room waiting for my to find something since he started with the IRS this past summer, and I would really like to be able to live in our own place and not with my parents in Philly. I'd prefer to do something that uses my degree, but I wouldn't mind starting in an administrative job if I have to since I had to utilize those skills a lot in my past jobs.

What I am NOT looking for
Part time, if it isn't at a rate that is reasonable. I am paying a lot of bills right now, specifically my student loans, and I need to be able to pay rent as well.

When can I start
Immediately, the contract position states that if I find a job, I'm free to leave. I would love to find something soon because the pay I'm getting is less than what I made in college.

Midge the Jet fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 14, 2011

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Just wanted to thank everyone for any help I got through this thread. I have a job offer with a start date on the 31st in Tysons Corner, VA that is just what I was looking for! Now we need to find a place to live that is convenient to the Metro for him, and for me to drive to Tysons.

Now I have to finish this last week of work in New Jersey and move essential things over the weekend to start work on that Monday...plus trying to move the rest of our stuff into our new place (when found) from both my parent's house in PA as well as our storage unit in South Carolina. This year of job searching for the both of us is at an end, and I'm so glad we can now settle down.