Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

Looking for a job in Chicago - web development or helpdesk

2 years experience in PHP/mySQL and C#/T-SQL, certified MCTS web. Willing to do helpdesk as well, or much of anything really. Got really surprised by a layoff on Monday, so I'm scrambling to move from Champaign and find something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

The company I work for in Chicago is looking for a .NET developer (full-time or part-time -- need somebody quick!). Don't mention SA - my boss will have no idea what you're talking about.

quote:

gate39media (https://www.gate39media.com) a web development company specializing in the futures and financial industry located in downtown Chicago has an opportunity for a full time.NET Web Developer with 1-2 years of experience. gate39media develops websites and online applications used by brokerage and clearing firms, funds, and financial industry service providers globally.

More than *just a developer* Work in a small team-atmosphere where your ideas and contributions above simply *doing the work* are valued. Each developer is responsible for not only developing web applications but assisting with every step including gathering requirements, defining the approach, and working closely with other developers, designers and team members.

Projects you'll be working on include:

* Developing corporate websites using the Sitefinity CMS, WordPress and other systems
* Working with mostly .NET-based and some PHP websites and applications
* Client portals
* Social media integration
* Lead generation applications and campaigns
* Interface with 3rd party systems including financial data feeds, accounting systems, and various APIs
* E-commerce
* Growing our internally developed web-based back office applications

Work with the latest technologies including AJAX, 3rd party APIs, 3rd party components, data access layers, media streaming, cloud services and more. Search Engine Optimization is built into everything we do.

You'll have the opportunity to work with a variety of websites from public facing sites, to internal applications and portals and internally developed properties. As such, you*ll be balancing multiple projects in various phases so good organization and time management skills are needed.

BENEFITS AND PERKS
Salary Level $50,000-60,000
* Medical and dental insurance
* Paid holidays
* Accrued paid time off starting at 15 days per year
* Casual work environment--jeans and headphones encouraged
* Supply of free soda and snacks
* Work on diverse projects and apply problem solving skills

CORE QUALIFICATIONS

* At least three years of web development experience
* Strong knowledge of ASP.NET 2.0/3.5/4.0 (VB/C )
* MS SQL Server
* XML, HTML, and strong CSS skills
* AJAX, J-Query, JavaScript
* Ability to create custom objects and classes
* Positive attitude and commitment to delivering high-quality, accurate web applications, and innovative ideas to our team
* Strong communication skills

Not required but advantageous:

* Knowledge of Telerik and 3rd party controls
* Familiarity with data access layers such as subsonic
* Microsoft Certification

Contact Information (do not mention SA - my boss will have no idea what you're talking about!)
Shane Stiles
117 N. Jefferson St Suite LL05
Chicago, Illinois 60661
United States

shane@gate39media.com
312-715-1475

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

Now that I think about it, I could use a hand with some web development projects I've got going. You'll work remotely, but you need to be in Chicago and available for the occasional meeting. Here's a list of stuff you should know/be:

* Web design - send me a handful of sites you've designed
* Table-less HTML/CSS layouts
* Familiarity with Wordpress
* (Very) basic PHP stuff

* Reliable. If I tell a client something's going to be done it had better get done on time.
* Attention to detail. I can't stress this enough: if something is the slightest bit off I'm going to punch you.

Send me an e-mail at jeremy.phelps@myoose.com with your resume and some examples of work you've done. I'm really looking for a designer who also knows a little about code, not a programmer who thinks they're okay at design!

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

Crosspost from SH/SC:

Job Opening
We're looking for a couple programmers in Chicago! No remote workers, please. We work side-by-side a great deal, so being in the office is critical.

Who we are: A small medical software startup focusing mostly on mobile.
Where we are: Downtown Chicago (near Union Station)

Job title: we really don't like job titles very much

What we want: A couple solid programmers, as vague as that sounds. 95% of the code we write is in Javascript, whether it's for node.js or appcelerator's Titanium. We prefer self-taught people who have experience with OOP and MVC, but we're not using any particular language as a filter for candidates. I had written very little javascript (I actually have a C# background) and still got hired. All candidates have to sit shoulder to shoulder with one of us and actually write code that works as a part of the interview process.

The Good: Salary is competitive, and we often do bonuses. The company picks up the tab for lunch most days!

The Bad: We're really small, so there are no benefits yet. I get paid extra so I can go buy my own -- this will likely change in 3-6 months as we grow (which we're doing quickly)!

Contact: jeremy.lee.phelps@gmail.com or PM. Code samples are very welcome!

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

Amun posted:

Crosspost from SH/SC:

Job Opening
We're looking for a couple programmers in Chicago! No remote workers, please. We work side-by-side a great deal, so being in the office is critical.

Who we are: A small medical software startup focusing mostly on mobile.
Where we are: Downtown Chicago (Jackson/Clark)

Job title: we really don't like job titles very much

What we want: A couple solid programmers, as vague as that sounds. 95% of the code we write is in Javascript, whether it's for node.js or appcelerator's Titanium. We prefer self-taught people who have experience with OOP and MVC, but we're not using any particular language as a filter for candidates. I had written very little javascript (I actually have a C# background) and still got hired. All candidates have to sit shoulder to shoulder with one of us and actually write code that works as a part of the interview process.

The Good: Salary is competitive, and we often do bonuses. The company picks up the tab for lunch most days!

The Bad: We're really small, so there are no benefits yet. I get paid extra so I can go buy my own -- this will likely change in 3-6 months as we grow (which we're doing quickly)!

Contact: jeremy.lee.phelps@gmail.com or PM. Code samples are very welcome!

We hired one goon for this position, and now we need an additional one. Come join us!