Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Given how terrible our current economy is, I'm sure there are a ton of goons without jobs right now. Although the job market is awful, there are still jobs out there to be had. One of my good friends works in recruiting, and is especially picky when selecting candidates now since there are so many people out there. He said a lot of companies have actually been focusing more on getting employee referrals rather than spamming job sites or going to recruiters, since the quality of workers are typically better.

So, if you've got job openings at your company, and would be willing to refer a goon (after you do your own due diligence of course; quick phone call, scan of the resume etc.), please post it here!

Feel free to post if you are looking for a job as well, with what you're looking for, and where.

Bank fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

I think everyone assumes I'll be expensive. Ideally they're right, but I need a job and will take a dramatic pay cut over my previous salary if it means I enjoy the work and have security, neither of which was the case there.

People in HR also think that you're only in it for the short term, and will leave once the job market picks back up. Whether or not that's actually true doesn't matter to them; its all perception.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

NintyFresh posted:

Just wanted to thank everyone for any help I got through this thread. I have a job offer with a start date on the 31st in Tysons Corner, VA that is just what I was looking for! Now we need to find a place to live that is convenient to the Metro for him, and for me to drive to Tysons.

Now I have to finish this last week of work in New Jersey and move essential things over the weekend to start work on that Monday...plus trying to move the rest of our stuff into our new place (when found) from both my parent's house in PA as well as our storage unit in South Carolina. This year of job searching for the both of us is at an end, and I'm so glad we can now settle down.
Someone actually got a job because of this thread? Congrats!