Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I'm in Seattle, WA, have my BA in English from Virginia Tech, and am basically looking for anything I can get entry level in the area. I don't want to move geographically, but am more than happy to pick up any skills I need to find a real job. (Not food service)

Decent with HTML and Photoshop, proficient with Excel, PowerPoint, Word.
I also have some basic recording hardware and software experience, mostly in Sonar.

Currently working on learning SQL, and like I said, I'm flexible and willing to learn whatever I need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Knightmare posted:

Knowledge in SQL will open up a lot of entry-level database jobs for you. When I started out at my current job that's all I did, writing SQL scripts to pull very refined lists of people based on medical history criteria. Since you say you're proficient at Excel/Word I'm guessing you have Microsoft Office Suite, if you have Access play around with that too. Create databases, pull info off those databases, learn how to normalize and create relationships and you'll be a hot commodity. Most companies don't actually use Access for their business database but it doesn't hurt to learn the basics in.

That's pretty much the exact same advice I was given, so I'm boning up on SQL to work towards that, I do indeed have Access, so I guess I'll start learning that too. Thanks for the advice!