Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaelos
Oct 11, 2004

Upgraded to platinum to donate money to Lowtax.
Just received this Email from my company in Maryland and figured I should post it here. You can use Michael Spriggs as the reference name.

Fellow IMSers, We have jobs available and would love you to spread the word!! If you know anyone who is looking for an entry level job, meets our qualifications, and may be interested in working where you do, please feel free to forward the message below or refer them to https://www.imsweb.com. Thanks for your help!!

We have jobs, careers, and stability all in one place!
Been that way for over 30 years!

IMS, a biomedical IT firm, has several openings available:

Analyst/Programmer - Silver Spring and Rockville locations
Write programs to analyze biomedical research data.

Database Administrator (Postgres/Oracle) - Silver Spring location
Design, develop, and maintain databases for biomedical systems.

Software Developer
Develop quality code for critical biomedical systems.

Positions require a bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field. EOE.

Please see details at https://www.imsweb.com. If interested in applying, please contact Mary Lamb at (301) 680-9770, send an e-mail to jobs@imsweb.com, or reply to the ads on our Website. Please be sure to include in your application who referred you. Thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaelos
Oct 11, 2004

Michaelos posted:

Just received this Email from my company in Maryland and figured I should post it here. You can use Michael Spriggs as the reference name.

Fellow IMSers, We have jobs available and would love you to spread the word!! If you know anyone who is looking for an entry level job, meets our qualifications, and may be interested in working where you do, please feel free to forward the message below or refer them to https://www.imsweb.com. Thanks for your help!!

I'm mentioning this in the thread because we have interviewed at least one person that sent in a Resume to this posting, and it came up at work with the first interview I heard about.

If you reference me, one of the people who is considering hiring you might come up to my office at some point and talk to me about you. I'll be honest. I wasn't really expecting this the first time, and I didn't know a lot about the person mentioned, so it didn't go well and you may have lost a few points.

If you have already name dropped me or are planning to, it might be worthwhile to contact me via PM an I'll give more contact info and we can arrange a more detailed conversation so that if your name comes up I can give additional details about you if asked.

Edit: If you have already sent me a PM about this posting, you haven't interviewed yet and you want to talk to me, and I have not sent you a PM with my contact info back, feel free to send a second reminder PM.

Michaelos
Oct 11, 2004

Job Openings: MD

http://www.imsweb.com/employment.html

Analyst/Programmer - Rockville location

0 - 4 Years Experience

Write programs to analyze biomedical research data. Analyze national and international surveys and health care research data. Examples include the relationship between diet and cancer, utilization of cancer screening methods such as mammography, surveillance and prevalence of cancer, and genomic research.

Skills required:

* B.S./B.A. Comp Science, Information Science, Math, or any related field with a 2.9+ GPA
* Familiarity with any language similar to C, C++, and Java

Analyst/Programmer - Silver Spring location

0 - 4 Years Experience

Write programs to analyze biomedical research data. Analyze national and international surveys and health care research data. Examples include the relationship between diet and cancer, utilization of cancer screening methods such as mammography, surveillance and prevalence of cancer, and genomic research.

Skills required:

* B.S./B.A. Comp Science, Information Science, Math, or any related field with a 2.9+ GPA
* Familiarity with any language similar to C, C++, and Java

Software Developer - Silver Spring location

0 - 4 Years Experience

Develop quality code while working in small teams. Work in a relaxed, supportive, professional environment. Write code using Java and C++ for real-time, business critical systems. Work on state-of-the-art systems for biomedical research.

Skills required:

* B.S. Computer Science or any related degree with a 2.9+ GPA
* Knowledge of Java, C, C++ or other object oriented language
* Familiarity with Eclipse, SQL, and design patterns preferred

Web Developer (Front End) - Silver Spring location

0 - 4 Years Experience

Collaborate with IMS staff and IMS clients to support their public-facing Web sites and collaborative research sites. Design and layout Web sites with an emphasis on usability and accessibility. Coordinate new content, maintain quality of existing sites, and ensure compliance with the latest laws and best practices for US government Web sites. Topics include cancer statistics, professional education, public health resources, and tools for cancer centers. Applicants must have a BS/BA with a 2.9+ GPA and proficiency in HTML, CSS, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. Experience with Javascript, PHP, or Python a plus.

Michaelos
Oct 11, 2004

Grumpicat posted:

Do you work for this company? I'd be interested to hear what it's like and why so much of their website is focused on employees.

Yes, I do. I'm one of the Analyst/Programmers there. I'm not sure what you mean about the website, but I didn't compare it to a large amount of different employer websites.

In general, the coworkers are pretty good, and it's a somewhat casual atmosphere. Weekly Bagels and Donuts and Ice Cream first birthdays do help boost morale a bit.

In terms of actual work, it's sort of a slow increase of responsibility, rather then a tiered one. There are a few hierarchical tiers as well, but it's generally pretty relaxed. Once you've worked on a project a few times, you are often the go to person for that project.

I'd say being able to politely and detailedly email people, spot small things in code, find potential problems before submission, clarify specifications, and the ability to reconstruct what you did on something you worked on several years ago are all important skills.

Pay Raises/Benefits seem relatively generous to me, but again I didn't do a lot of comparison between jobs. Depending on the type of work you are doing, it potentially allows you to get your name mentioned in the acknowledgments in published medical papers, which has happened to me.

Let me know if you would like more details.

I realized I didn't post the contact information in the previous post. So if you or anyone else are interested in applying, please contact Mary Lamb at (301) 680-9770, or send an e-mail to jobs@imsweb.com