Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Mood: Angsty
Cool thread.

Another San Francisco guy here. I have a BA in Int'l Studies and intermediate Japanese language skills. I write pretty well and I can do like HTML and Photoshop but nothing else that's really marketable. I have 6 months experience at McDonald's so you know I'm your guy.

I'm interested in East Asia but I'm looking for anything that isn't dangerous or sales pyramid schemes (McDonald's here isn't hiring right now, I checked).

Drop me a line at shoehouserats at yahoo.com and I'll be grateful!

Grumpicat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005

Helmet Jap posted:

have you checked gaijinpot.com? with your skillset, you should be able to land on a normal job. did you pass any japanese exams? if not, you should obtain it to prove that you do have intermediate japanese language skills

Hmm thanks for the tip. I'm not really looking to leave the country at the moment but I'm sure that will come in handy sometime.

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005

Michaelos posted:

Job Openings: MD

http://www.imsweb.com/employment.html

Do you work for this company? I'd be interested to hear what it's like and why so much of their website is focused on employees.

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Started a one year temp-to-hire logistics gig a couple months back.

Protip: 1 year temp-to-hire means they are looking for dogs/slaves/workaholics/martyrs.

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
I wanted to manage supply chains :(

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

No one told you what a crazy world logistics is?

I wish you would have seen my "Tell me about logistics thread." (No one did)

As far as rising in the industry is concerned, I don't see anybody in my office whose career I envy. The feeling I get is that there are different sides of logistics.. there's the paperwork crunching worker ants (documentation, customer service) where I work and then out of sight there's SCM *cue heavenly music* (supply chain manager, analyst, purchaser?) where I learn ERP/SAP and don't hate my job. Is that wrong? How can I get into the SCM side?

Grumpicat fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 29, 2010

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

Honestly, all logistics is at the end of the day pushing papers.

Hm I don't know about dispatchers or sales.. I don't know about "work your way up" either. Nobody in my office manages supply chains. Supply chain analyst is supposed to be an entry level position and I think I'm just in the wrong part of logistics. I'm definitely going to look into ERP on my own and hope I can get a more analytical job. It might be aiming for a very small target though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
I'm not sure about titles but I'm pretty sure I work at a private sector post office. The most intellectually demanding task I see done is probably deciding which carriers to use to get cargo from point A to B for first time shipments. The rest is data entry with volume, accuracy, and deadlines.

Haha I'm starting to sound like a whiner so I'll say that I know I'm lucky to have any job at all in this economy. My job search will continue, though, until I find something that is intellectually stimulating as well as rewarding.

Good luck to everyone who is still looking.

Grumpicat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 30, 2010