Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Looking for a Job

1st Location IL, MI
2nd Location Depends on job offer
Position Classroom Teacher or Residence Life

I have a degree in Secondary Social Studies/History and certified in Illinois and Michigan in those areas. I also have Driver's Ed certification in IL. Lately I've been working as a dorm supervisor for a private boarding school in WI.

I'm looking for something public or private that has teaching as the primary job responsibility...I need the classroom experience as I have only been teaching summer school so far (us hist, am govt, and world hist). However, I'd be willing to accept a residence life job as long as it's above RA/Intern level; ideally more of an assistant director of res life or higher. I also have about 5 years of level 1 IT/Helpdesk experience, along with stage/sound/lighting, quiz bowl, outdoor ed, and a variety of other skills.

Just can't seem to get my foot in the door but I've very dedicated to teaching and want to be in the classroom. Major focuses are on critical skills, primary source evaluations, and reading/writing skills.

Will provide resume materials upon request.

Oxphocker fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PipeRifle posted:

Job Opening: Schaumburg, IL (Chicagoland) and/or Toronto, CA
Instructional Designer & Multimedia Developer
http://embanet.com/careers/current-opportunities.asp

Hey, you have any more information about this job (rough salary range, benefits, etc)? or the admissions advisor they have listed?

I have a bachelor's in social studies education and about 5 years of tech support...much of that working with professors/teachers educationally with background on CMS/LMS packages - my own personal favorite being Moodle. If the terms are good enough, I might consider it and I'm originally from the chicago area.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PipeRifle posted:

SUPER DUPER IMPORTANT EDIT: My bosses are in love with the theory of Understanding By Design. Acquaint yourself with even the basics for instant bonus points. Try this line: when they ask you how you go about formulating qualitative assessments, go "Tell me this, have you ever heard of Wiggins and McTighe's principles of Understanding by Design?" Pepper it in throughout your cover letter, too!

Heh...I knew what this was without even knowing 'understanding by design'...in education classes we just call it backwards design. Anyone who has had curriculum development of any sort will be very familiar with this even if not knowing it by name. All my methods classes emphasized backwards design, and it makes a lot of sense to know what outcomes you want before starting in the first place.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PipeRifle posted:

Yeah, it's a lot of common sense, but I guess Wiggins and McTighe have a whole suite of additional insight, or other additions, or something that makes my company love them. Dropping UBD by name will work wonders.

Never got a response from HR about the questions I sent them...haven't submitted an app yet because I wanted to know more.. It's been the better part of a week.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Job Opening - Math Teacher

The district I work at, we are looking for a 7th grade math teacher.

Location - New Mexico, Gallup

Gallup McKinley School District

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Job Seeker

Location: New Mexico, relocating to either Duluth MN, Twin Cities, or Austin TX in June.

Education: B.S. Secondary Social Studies Education (certified in NM, MN, IL, and MI), M.Ed Educational Leadership and Policy Studies

Experience: I've been working in schools for most of a decade in a variety of capacities (janitor, tech support, admissions, student services, test coordination, teaching assistant, substitute, outdoor instructor, trip leader, gear maintenance, driving, dorm supervision, summer school, full time teaching, club advisor for quiz bowl, light/sound). I can do almost any job in the school environment.

Requirements: Full-time

When I can start: Late June 2013 (job location will determine where I move)

I've been working out in NM for the past three years to get experience teaching but I am tired of living in the middle of nowhere away from friends and family. So I am looking for work in one of the three cities I mentioned above. I would consider positions in any of the following: Secondary teaching social studies 9-12, school administration (dean, asst principal, director), district admin staff, college staff (academic advising, hall director, community college instructor in education, etc). I'm not looking for part-time or entry level openings, I'm looking for something more permanent with benefits in the $30-60k range. I can acquire certification in any areas that might be needed, I'll have a standard teaching cert by the end of this year and I've finished my ed admin masters already and plan to get certified for that as well.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Oracle,

If you're not finding any luck in ME for teaching, start looking at the southwest (NV, NM, and AZ) there are usually openings there. I work in NM right now and that's how I got my first teaching job. Gonna tell you in advance though it will probably be a sucky job but it will get you exp. Some markets are just too saturated to get into without exp. I've got three years and a masters in admin and I'm still trying to get back to the midwest.

Check the vacancies here: http://www.gmcs.k12.nm.us/site_res_...userGroupType=G

They usually have openings all the time because the district sits mostly on the Navajo reservation. I used to have a thread about teaching on the reservation but you probably need archives to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

I'm actually trying to move on to admin or college level (advisor or res life). Spending the last three years in the middle of nowhere making $30k is getting old quick. I'm applying for hall director jobs, academic advisement, assistant principal for operations, things like that.