Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I just got laid off in November, I'm looking for work anywhere around Denver, although the farther south the better, no farther than Castle Rock preferrably. I'm willing to commute as far north as Boulder but that would suck hard. Englewood, Highlands Ranch, the Tech Center, Golden or Arvada would be good commutes for me.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience, my specialties are in high precision machined parts and assemblies, prototype and custom machines for specific applications. I have machine shop experience and have worked closely with machinists and assemblers for good understanding of shop practices. I also have some experience with molded plastic volume production parts, but that's my weakest area. The industries and "genres" I'm experienced in are sub-10HP power transmissions, metal cutting tools, small feed mechanisms for said tools, loading mechanisms and transports for data storage tape drives, and one on-body monitoring device. I'm much more of a nuts and bolts kind of engineer than a heavy analyst.

I've seen some job descriptions around that are practically tailor made for my resume, but no callbacks yet.

Thanks.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Noctone posted:

loving hell the job market must really suck if an engineer with 20 years of experience can't get a job.

I think everyone assumes I'll be expensive. Ideally they're right, but I need a job and will take a dramatic pay cut over my previous salary if it means I enjoy the work and have security, neither of which was the case there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Bank posted:

People in HR also think that you're only in it for the short term, and will leave once the job market picks back up. Whether or not that's actually true doesn't matter to them; its all perception.

There's only 3 jobs on my resume over that 20 year period, I'd hope they can read between the lines and see that I'm not a job hopper. 11 years with the first company and 7 with the 2nd.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You may remember me from page 1, I finally got a job (I start next week). Six god drat months. It sucks out there. For those of you without work, I feel for you. For those of you with work, kiss as much rear end as you have to to keep that job.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Kin posted:

there are still plenty of entry level graduate positions available as long as you meet the minimum requirement of the 2(1)honors degree. Even more are available after you have a bit of experience in a particular field under your belt.

Right. But the market is flooded with applicants. I made it to a 2nd interview for a job in April, and it lasted 4 hours where I met 7 different people I'd be working with. They told me that they had 6 candidates who made it that far.

The ad for the job that I did get was open for a total of about 4 days. Over 100 people applied for it.

I hope you're fine and find something you like, I wouldn't wish what I just went through on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Job opening, Denver area. Our company is hiring a mechanical engineering tech/CAD jockey, here's the ad, if you want to PM me with questions or to let me know who you are so I can fast track a goon that's fine but otherwise apply via the craigslist ad: http://denver.craigslist.org/egr/2660326349.html

quote:

An established, 50+ year old Centennial, Colorado company has an opportunity for a mechanical engineering technician/CAD technician with the following credentials:

• Minimum 5 years engineering experience
• Extensive experience with SolidWorks 3D CAD package
• Mechanical aptitude with some shop skills
• High level of computer competency
• Engineering degree not necessarily required
• Injection molded plastic and sheet metal experience preferred
• Well versed in ANSI Y14.5 drawing standards

Responsibilities will include:
• Creating CAD models and complete drawings from hand sketches
• Creating complete drawings from existing CAD models
• Part and assembly modifications in CAD
• Filing, renaming files, ECN generation
• Other duties as dictated by skill and experience

Full time, permanent position with benefits. The successful candidate must pass a SolidWorks design test. Please submit resume with at least two references. 50K salary range, depending on skills and experience