Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Anyone need a wildlife biologist?

I have field experience! And two Bachelor's degrees!

Looking for jobs is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Need a job
Preferably Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas but will consider other options. Right now I'm in Illinois on a temp summer job. Looking for temporary full-time or permanent work.

Education
Bachelor of Wildlife Biology and Conservation, Kansas State University, 2008

Work experience
I've done just about everything a wildlife field technician can do. I've mist-netted birds, trapped small mammals, trapped deer, radio-collared and tracked animals, trapped fish, preformed a multitude of vegetation sampling protocols, pressed plants, can identify a crapload of prairie plants and grasses, sweep-netted and keyed out grasshoppers, flown a blimp, used any and all kinds of GPS units and field computers, good with ArcGIS and other GIS softwares, good with excel, trained in compass orienteering, used to working outside in the extreme heat or cold (in fact, I love it). Used to driving 4-wheel drive and manual transmission vehicles off-road or on rough terrain. I'm a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. I've got a lot of experience doing a lot of things but no real point of focus. I spent a little over a year working on a military base assessing the ecological impact of tanks, now I'm on a prairie up north messing with meadowlarks.

Looking for
Something fun to do starting around September or so. I'm interested in any type of biological field work or even lab work. Animals, plants, I love it all. I work for cheap (as long as the job is fun!)

For some reason this thread is really funny to me. I'm half-tempted to use what I just wrote as an actual resume and apply for some jobs, just to see what people would think.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Here's a long shot!

JOB OPENING - TEMPORARY AVIAN BIOLOGIST

I'll be hiring two technicians for a 3-month summer position studying birds in the Great Plains. I know it's hella early, but PM me if interested and I'll keep you on a list and send you information on how to officially apply and where to send your resume sometime in early spring.

Looking for someone who:
- Loves birds and can identify any bird that is likely to be encountered in the Great Plains both by sight and by sound. So basically you have to be from a prairie state or have extensive experience working in a prairie state to have this skill.
- Has the ability (and possibly even the DESIRE) to work in 100+ degree weather (it's all outdoors work, no a/c, no bathrooms, have to eat your lunch sitting on the truck tailgate, etc) for up to 12 hours a day, 50-55 hrs a week. Also while carrying a backpack and other gear (not heavy stuff, just a lot of annoying gadgets and clipboards).
- Is awesome and has a good attitude because we will be together LITERALLY ALL THE TIME ALL SUMMER oh god

Job Information:
- Monthly stipend (not sure how much yet, maybe 1600 possibly more)
- Housing/utilities/etc provided
- Work vehicle provided
- Job duration: Early May thru early August

Will take applicants who are pursuing a Bachelor's degree in biology or wildlife sciences or a related field, recent graduates, not-so-recent graduates, or anyone who has the necessary skill and experience regardless of education. Must have a valid US drivers license.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Actually, I know two people that study birds in their Ph.D programs and should have the need for summer projects or at least know people who do. I've asked them to ask around.

Awesome, that would be great. Also, if your friends are looking for summer help let me know what kind of work and I might be able to recommend some people as well :)

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Want to get paid very little to look at birds >50 hours per week with absolutely no benefits whatsoever? I posted a little blurb about this a few weeks ago but I am now officially taking applications.

http://www.wfsc.tamu.edu/jobboard/display.cfm?Jobno=29220

COME BIOLOGY WITH ME!!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
JOB OPENING

WILDLIFE BIOLOGIST FIELD TECHNICIAN

I will be hiring two people to help me with bird research this summer. It's a temp job, most likely early May through early August (90-day contract). Perfect for undergrads looking for summer experience. Housing is provided, work vehicles are provided, pay is $1600/month.

QUALIFICATIONS:

- You must be a birder and know how to confidently identify birds of the Great Plains by sight and sound.
- You must be able to walk 5+ miles a day carrying gear (not real heavy gear though). You must be able to tolerate 100+ degree days and long hours in the field alone.
- You must be able to get up at like 4:15 every morning and be functional (5 days a week).
- You must be a fairly independent person who does not need a lot of hand-holding to get their job done.
- You'll have to live in a house and very likely have to share a room with other male and female technicians.

If you are a wildlife major you're probably familiar with the wildlife job boards and most of these positions want you to have all sorts of experience and be working towards a degree in wildlife. Personally all I care about is your skill as a birder. I really don't care what your major is or what your work experience is. If you are a birder and you know Great Plains birds and aren't afraid to work outside, shoot me a PM.

But I really can't stress this point enough: you have to know birds and already be a competent birder. The whole point of the job is bird ID. I don't have time to teach you the skills needed to be a birder. I had so many applications last year for this job that did not even mention ANY experience with bird ID. They went right in the trash.

EDIT: I just talked to my boss and I will definitely be able to hire two people for a 90-day contract. If you're an undergrad and your school does work-study, you may be able to use this job as a work-study and get college credit. I had a guy do that last year. It depends on your school though, it's not up to me.

razz fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 23, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Posting this on here one last time before it goes to the wildlife job boards and I get 80 applications in 3 days wooo bad economy!

JOB OPENING

WILDLIFE BIOLOGIST FIELD TECHNICIAN

I will be hiring two people to help me with bird research this summer. It's a full time temp job, most likely early May through early August (90-day contract). Perfect for undergrads looking for summer experience, or those of us who just aren't quite ready to get a big boy job yet. Housing is provided, work vehicles are provided, pay is $1600/month.

QUALIFICATIONS:

- You must be a birder and know how to confidently identify birds of the Great Plains by sight and sound.
- You must be able to walk 5+ miles a day carrying gear (not real heavy gear though). You must be able to tolerate 100+ degree days and long hours in the field alone.
- You must be able to get up at like 4:15 every morning and be functional (5 days a week).
- You must be a fairly independent person who does not need a lot of hand-holding to get their job done.
- You'll have to live in a house and very likely have to share a room with other male and female technicians. House will be (mostly) furnished and you don't have to pay anything for housing or utilities.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO ID WILD BIRDS IN THE FIELD DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS JOB. I had a million applications last year from people who had seemingly never set foot outside of a climate-controlled environment.

Oh yeah shoot me a PM or email your resume to sunparakeet at gmail.

razz fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

You're hired! Come bird with me!