Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Thanks guys, I appreciate the insight and instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

raggedphoto posted:

Care to explain this, what bases are making this claim on? I am not attacking here just wondering what specs made you come to this conclusion.

Because you get to act like you're better than everyone else.

No, really, the two reasons to use a Mac are 1) you value your computer's design and aesthetics over money and 2) you are computer illiterate and you need something very simple and clean to keep from getting confused. Another truth about them is that the standard monitors they are packaged with are traditionally better than the standard monitors packaged with most PCs.

Edit: However, for as little as $2,300 you can remedy this issue.

Performance wise, it's much cheaper to build a much faster PC.

:can:

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 12, 2012

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Cythrelo posted:

I like to just chalk it down to personal preference and not start debates about Mac v. PC. Please. Please.

:unsmigghh:

I'll be nice and won't push it any further because yeah, it's way too easy to get a huge derail going. It's not a very cool argument to have.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Sludge Tank posted:

http://www.davidburdeny.com/

hi guys, sorry I can't link directly to any pictures here
looking at this guys website, he has some amazing photos. of course he has many years of experience under his belt
what kind of processing do you suppose he does to his shots, particularly in the 'antarctica/greenland' gallery?

I go to antarctica a few times a year for work and would love to come away with some shots like that... any ideas?

A handful of things that jump out at me are:

1. It looks like a lot of them are shot from a fairly low to midrange perspective- he is never above the subject at all (except in #8), which I think helps give them a uniform look. He also keeps a fairly simple but strong compositional theme running, which definitely ties the series together.
2. Check out what he does with the sky and water, both with the luminance and the coloring. It looks like he darkens the blues a lot and then desaturates them. However it looks like he always makes the hints of aqua in the ice brighter so they pop out a lot.
3. A lot of the photos look like they are taken with a slower shutter speed to help calm down the ocean a bit. Though not all of them, mind you.
4. For his iceberg photos, he has them edited so that the iceberg is almost always the brightest point in the photo, and there is usually some pretty stark contrast between them and the rest of the photo, which makes them stand out more.

Of course this is all conjecture since I can't see the originals. Also something interesting to think about is that since most of the photos don't have any sense of scale, we tend to think of all of these icebergs as being massive, when it's quite possible that some of them are much smaller than they seem. He could be using lenses with a long focal length to achieve this effect with rather small floaters.

I agree that it's a great series, though.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Cru Jones posted:

She wanted something with the waterfall since it was in the same park we were shooting in and I wanted to make it happen if I could.

You should have had her stand in the waterfall.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Chill Callahan posted:

I'm just wondering if there's any horrid color casts cause I'm working on a 6-year old Dell laptop.

I think it has a slightly yellow tint to it, but it's nothing terrible.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Entenzahn posted:

I came across a shot that I thought would make for a nice first HDR attempt. Now obviously I'm a big, fat photography baby and I thought you'd just press Photoshops "HDR Pro" button and then magic happens and a nice picture comes out. This seems not to be the case.

Should I bother with HDR Pro? I mean, some of the original images look better than this stuff.

Heads up- if you decide to go down the HDR path (don't) you should definitely refrain from using it on thin branches like that, it always turns out looking like poo poo. Pretty much all trees, really. Pretty much everything, really. But get it out of your system, it's okay. (I did)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

iSheep posted:

So the added in laser/neon/whatever lines in this photo have kind of piqued my interest for future shoots. I'm having a hard time on google trying to find other examples of this.

The effect itself doesn't seem that complicated but I could seem to replicate it in a way that I liked with my own photos. Anyone have any ideas?

I think a really good idea is for you to not recreate that lovely effect.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

GoldenNugget posted:

So my family has given me the task of "fixing" a really bad photo of a family member which is going to be printed and used at an event. It's jpeg, taken in low light at 1600 iso, with flash (taken without buffer and directly in front of the person) which makes the lower part of the person's body a bit overexposed with an underexposed head.

Any tips to make this noisy, partially blown out image not so awful? I am not there to take the picture myself and it's a really bad picture.

Heavily blown data is gone, so I dunno, crop it or vignette that poo poo. Or try cloning in stuff there.

As for noise, Lightroom has a noise reduction section.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Redleg posted:

Here is the original

You did get a lot of detail out of that

Not that you asked, but I was bored, so here's how I would have edited this photo if I had taken it and I liked it. It's p sloppy, but you get the idea.

http://imgur.com/cmC4UtT

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

huhu posted:

editq-1 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

How could I go about bringing out the white graffiti in this shot in the bottom right corner in Lightroom?

Drop the luminosity of blue/aqua.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Sounds like divine retribution for using presets imo.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I think using the vibrance slider at all is a bad idea. In my opinion you should only use individual channels for messing with colors.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Also Chelsea and Tony are loving terrible, stop looking to them for advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

tater_salad posted:

Tell me if I"m making GBS threads up this thread or not.

Tried my hand again and did more subtle changes, Left the sky alone but used the spot mask/adjustment tool to make some adjustments to the dark trees on the left. I would try it with the rest, with proabably a 2nd adjustment brush to lighten up a tad since it's brighter. Didn't feel like all that brushwork though. Plus due to making the mistake of shooting this I think at ISO 1000 it's got a fair bit of grain so I don't feel like brushing all that for a picture i"m most likely not going to print. I"m just trying to get a general idea since I'd like to do some work on pictures of my kids to give to my mom for her birthday.

edit: I guess I"d also maybe soften up the hard red on the boat near the concrete on the lower left.

Your problem is that you're trying to make a boring photo about nothing interesting by making the colors prettier. If you want to give out photos as gifts, make it something actually cool and wall worthy for your family. Apologies if you are all canoeing enthusiasts and that's the perfect picture for them.

That said I'm pretty sure I could take a photo of my poo poo and my parents would proudly hang it on their wall because they love me and are proud of me. So take this with a grain of salt I guess.

• Locked thread