Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Radio Spiricom posted:

Can I get some recommendations for traditional doom metal? I like Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Pentagram, Trouble, Candlemass, Witchfinder General, Cathedral, Reverend Bizarre, etc. I'm less keen on sludge / stoner type stuff which I mostly find boring but I like Eyehategod, Crowbar, Harvey Milk, Melvins, and the first two Electric Wizard LPs so if you want to recommend some of that that you think I'd like that's cool too

My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and Anathema are generally regarded as the big three bands of the second wave of doom metal, and they're definitely worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Modern prog rock is concentrated on a few labels, so if you find something you like, look at other artists who record for the same label. KScope and Inside Out Music are the two big ones I'm familiar with, but there are probably others as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The big problem with automated recommendations is that they tend to push you towards very popular things in whatever category you're dealing with. When it comes to discovering new music that not a lot of people are already listening to, people still have the edge. This is a very hard problem to solve and will probably be with us for a while.

Hooplah posted:

I mostly use last.fm and spotify. Both mainly by going down related artist rabbit holes. lastfm recommendations is now the home page when you're logged in. spotify builds playlists of recommended songs based on what you listen to and i've found tons of stuff that way too.

Does last.fm still do recommendations on the artist level, or can they also make more specific recommendations based on the songs you listen to?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Supreme Beings of Leisure are usually described as trip hop. Massive Attack and Portishead are the two similar big names, but if you look around in that genre, you'll find other stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Addamere posted:

Bands like Lullacry? "Be My God" and "Touch the Flame" highlight best what I like about them.

"Be My God" reminds me a lot of some of the later stuff from Sentenced.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Skunk Anansie
Straight Line Stitch
Oceans of Slumber
Wicked Wisdom

There's a growing metal scene in a lot of African countries, so that might be worth looking into as well.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 26, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Seconded.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know if the Melvins really count as grunge, but they had a pretty big influence on the Seattle scene around that time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, what would be Earth's most accessible record?

Everyone who considers themselves sonically adventurous should listen to Earth 2 at some point, but that's pretty much the worst starting point. I haven't really kept up with them, but unless they've made drastic changes in their progression, I'd say reverse chronological order is the best way to go. I feel like have to throw in a caveat that drone metal isn't really something you'd ever call accessible, but over time the songs have gotten shorter and more like actual music rather than a pure wall of sound.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's not exactly the same, but maybe something by Dimie Cat? Ping Pong is pretty representative of her sound.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Devo's Greatest Hits is an album that I generally feel comfortable recommending to anyone.

Devo's Greatest Misses is perfect for the right people, but most people aren't right.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

When I think "fast tribal drums" I think Ratamahatta. That may or may not be what you're looking for.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Offspring were never completely traditional punk, but they were more like that on their earlier albums. It's worth digging into their back catalog if you like anything from them. Same with Green Day.

I don't know the genre terribly well so I can't recommend too much. I like Discount's Half Fiction, so you might check that out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If older stuff counts then the Buzzcocks's singles collection is a must-buy. Probably something by the Ramones as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I do generally prefer female vocalists but I can't think any of the big name pop punk bands are fronted by a woman.

You want to check out Discount.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Huntman posted:

Planning a road trip with my ol' dad and trying to curate a good playlist aka music he won't hate because while I love Led Zeppelin and all the other 60s/70s dad rock, i can only hear the same songs so many times. was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for newer dad hard rock/heavy metal sounding like Rival Sons, The Darkness, early Black Crowes, Scorpion Child.

Clutch.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Might want to check out some Monster Magnet and Kyuss too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

oot posted:

Does anyone know any songs that have a lot of silence in them?

4'33"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Vincent posted:

Where should I start if I wanna get into Diamanda Galas and see if she's my cup of tea?

Are you more interested in her very avant-garde work or the stuff that's closer to traditional songs? Either way there's a fair amount of variety in what she's done, so going in chronological order is a reasonable option.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 10, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

WNRN doesn't have commercials but the DJs sometimes talk up whatever product is sponsoring the station at the moment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Those are both examples of ambient music. I've heard other things like them, but I'm blanking on names right now. If you search for "ambient" as a tag/keyword, you should find some similar stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Third for Kyuss. About half the band was in Queens of the Stone Age at the beginning, so maybe check out their early work, but don't get your hopes up too high.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The tl;dr is that Ulver took a lot of inspiration from early 80s synth pop and industrial on that particular album. The AllMusic review breaks out the influences pretty much track by track and is your best bet for starting out.

Ulver is a very difficult band to recommend because their sound is so wildly inconsistent from album to album. No matter your tastes you're going to find something in their catalog you like, but it might only be one song.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

I know I'm very late the to the party, but who should I check out if I like Megadeth and don't care for the other "Big Four" bands at all? Slayer's too monotone and grind-y, Metallica's fine but a little boring and Anthrax just does nothing for me. I dig how proggy and melodic a lot of Megadeth songs are.

Nevermore and Iced Earth are worth checking out. Dream Theater if you don't need anything particularly heavy. Cynic if you want something very proggy. Let us know what you think of those and that'll help to pick other options.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

I'm a big metal fan...but anything before like 1990 is a huge blindspot for me.

I was going to an effort post on the early history of heavy metal, but I think it's better if I just recommend that you read Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal. It's more of a history of metal as a cultural phenomenon than it is about the music, but it's still a comprehensive account of everything happened before about 2000 and will give you a lot of insight as to what might be worth looking at from that time period.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

West African music incorporates some pretty complex drumming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMQhNZdbvbs has brief snippets from a few soloists and an ensemble plus terms you can search on.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know a lot. The drum that the soloists are playing is known as a djembe, and at least some of the other drums are called dunun.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bands similar to ISIS, please

Neurosis was one of their big influences, but they may not be exactly what you're looking for. Check out Through Silver in Blood, which is generally regarded as their best album. Same for Godflesh, who peaked with Streetcleaner.

Last.fm's bio has this quote, which you may find useful:

quote:

The distinctive tone of material since and including Oceanic had a noticeable impact on avant-garde metal, helping develop the sound of several contemporaries; Cult of Luna, Pelican, Tides, Rosetta, and Russian Circles all cite Isis as an influence. This underground success attracted the attention of the likes of Mogwai, with whom they have toured on numerous occasions.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Check out Organasm. I don't remember how vocals-oriented it is, but it checks all of your other boxes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Which Metallica have you listened to? They've made several big changes in sound at various points in their career, and the stuff they were putting out around the time of Reign in Blood definitely put them in the same ballpark.

Metallica and Slayer were half of the big four of thrash metal. The other two were Megadeth and Anthrax, and they might be worth checking out. For Megadeth, start with either Peace Sells... or Rust in Peace. For Anthrax, start with Among the Living. If you like other of those, there might be some other thrash or speed metal acts worth checking out.

Ministry is generally considered more industrial than metal. The list of similar artists from last.fm is a good place to start.

Melvins get lumped with stoner, doom and sludge but they're not exactly in any of those genres. What's your take on early Alice in Chains?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you don't like to separate art from the artist, a lot of metal is going to be problematic at best.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Ladies of Doom Metal is a pretty extensive list of doom metal bands with women on vocals. I don't know how recently it's been updated, but it'll take you a while to work through everything that's there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A few 80s/90s power metal bands worth looking at: Stratovarius, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Rage, Iced Earth, Accept, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Savatage, Dragonforce, Symphony X, Kamelot, Falconer

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Solstafir
Candlemass

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Olavi posted:

I'm looking for melancholic music from different genres. The tones can be quite hopeless, but if there's a small hint of hope even better. I don't want to give too much examples but prefebably not the big bands like The Cure I would like to avoid.

Sorry, if this is really ambiguous request..

Head on over to the goth thread and listen to what's been posted there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Look into funeral doom and drone metal. That's where you get the really slow, really heavy riffs and a general atmosphere similar to those songs.

There's also a genre known as psychedelic doom metal, but that tends to be a little faster and less heavy.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 21, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Look up Ahab and Isis while you're at it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’d like recommendations for soundtracks or film scores all done by one artist or group not normally considered a film scorer. Or if not that precisely, scores by non-traditional film scorers.
Think Tosca Tango Orchestra’s Waking Life, Amon Tobin’s Taxidermia, or Ry Cooder’s Paris, Texas rather than John Williams, Clint Mansell, or Ennio Morricone.

Ulver, Lyckantropen Themes and Svidd Neger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Read up on moshing and the scenes that spawned it.