Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hooplah posted:

alright, i suppose i should put in a request that's been rolling around in my head for a while- does there exist another band like volcano? they're almost like a really out there artsy 90s red hot chili peppers? i guess?

This probably isn't news to you but just in case, that song sounds a lot like some Talking Heads stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The band has a YouTube channel, so you can listen to their other stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A few songs in and I'm definitely picking up a Gogol Bordello influence. Check them out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's a little more of a stretch, but how about Napalm Death?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I like them, but find their discography intimidating! More accurately, the latest record is good.

Scum is a classic, but Fear Emptiness Despair is probably the best of their early output. I haven't paid too much attention to what they did after that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A lot of power metal bands fit that description. I don't know who's big now, but check out Stratovarious, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Avantasia and Kamelot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

High on Fire gets listed as stoner/sludge metal pretty often. Maybe check out Kyuss, Mastodon, Orange Goblin, Sleep or Electric Wizard and see if any of those grab you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ulver's Perdition City always gave me the feeling of a lonely walk in the city, but it's probably not at all what you're looking for.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

This is amazing and hits just right. Thank you for introducing me to it.

E: apparently they change up genres a lot? Listening to Flowers of Evil and it sounds like The Lost Boys soundtrack (also awesome but very different from Perdition City)

Their last few albums have a pretty consistent sound, but yeah, for a while they were operating in a different genre with every album. The closest thing they've done to Perdition City is the Teachings in Silence EP, but it's not really all that close. You might like Kveldssanger too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for newer stuff inspired by melodramatic, atmospheric stuff from the 90s like the Sneaker Pimps. I dunno if it's trip hop or trip pop exactly.

I particularly like their Bloodsport album, which I understand wasn't as lauded as their previous work.

https://open.spotify.com/track/31l2Bw3HHiyRbEVByjLVwB?si=cYFQgZpOTQ2grEFI7U5FSA&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

If you haven't heard them before, check out IAMX. That's the project the singer on that track started after Sneaker Pimps broke up.

(Sneaker Pimps recently got back together, btw, but I don't think they've released anything yet.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Try Tyr - The Rune.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Their third album, Sheer Heart Attack.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pantera, "Suicide Note Pt. I" and "Suicide Note Pt. II"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Everything on Metallica's self-titled album is pretty similar in fact.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe DJ Shadow as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFbBlpDTfQ

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I hear a pretty strong Jethro Tull influence in the song you linked but the vocalist sounds like he belongs in a bluegrass band. I'd call it prog for lack of a better term, but I don't know if you're going to find much else like that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The soundtrack for Brutal Legend hits on a lot of the high points of metal as well as some more obscure acts that are worth checking out. It's a lot of music, but if you go through it you'll get a sense of what's out there* and what you like. Come back with the standouts and we can give you more specific recommendations.

*It's ten years old and missing songs from some of the biggest names so it's not comprehensive, but those aren't really big issues if you're just starting out.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 13, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, power metal and some older stuff that either gets referred to as classic heavy metal or the new wave of British heavy metal.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Front Line Assembly was a big industrial act in the late 80s and early 90s. Solstafir is an atmospheric post-black metal band that I like a lot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Here's Pavarotti sharing the stage with a popular Italian rapper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7CuDG_1xU8

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nightwish and Arch Enemy are good starting points.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Slayer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

For challenging music, check out Terrestrials, the collaboration between Ulver and Sunn 0))).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's actually surprisingly difficult to get Google to return bands from Prague when you search for "Prague rock" but I did get this list.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

PYF has a thread dedicated to remixes and covers with an emphasis on things that are very different from the originals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The best version of Phantom IMO is the one by Floor Jansen and Henk Poort:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCScjvDOJM

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Over the course of their career Ulver's hit a lot of different sounds but you're not going to see that much variety on any single album.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Check out Igorrr, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Unexpect. If you're OK with stuff that's more clearly metal, there's a lot in the post-black metal scene but it's been a while since I paid much attention to that so I can't make a lot of recommendations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

This feels like a weird ask because I'm pretty sure this song was written explicitly for a long-running UK murder mystery TV show but I can't get it out of my head, so anything else out there that's like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiQ0ZxuBr9A

basically, ominous folk ballads, I guess?

Nick Cave. Check out Murder Ballads.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I MONSTER is another one worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhB6Lb7_kN8

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Well drat that killed the thread for a bit.

Ok now I want some good modern rock n roll that's not too cheesy or heavy. Stuff like Masters of Reality, The Supersuckers, Franz Ferdinand (yeah I know they're post punk or whatever but they got riffs and good steady beats) usually do it for me.

Look up The Last Dinner Party. They've only got one album but it's all bangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have a playlist full of music to listen to on nighttime walks and it needs fresh blood. I don't really care what genre and I don't know how exactly to describe what I'm looking for but some albums just sound like nighttime albums, you know? Lo-fi, moody, ethereal, nighttime music. Some examples of artists on the playlist now are Team Sleep, Salem, Purity Ring, Flight Facilities, The Radio Dept., Fujiya & Miyagi, Quelle Chris, Glass Candy, Milo and Boards of Canada. Hit me, goons

Try Ulver's Perdition City.