Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Lynch's Industrial Symphony

Is this more like Lynch Mob or is it closer to Dokken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

NotNut posted:

Are there any songs about the pleasure of conformity besides Hip to Be Square?

Weird Al - Buy Me A Condo

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ah yes, the great Broadway show Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blue Labrador posted:

I just listened to the Type-O Negative cover of "Angry Inch" from Hedwig and the Angry Inch and I found it extremely charming.

Does anyone else have any other musical covers they'd be willing to share? Genre doesn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiILa62alAU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Anybody got playlists/artists in the "cold and snowy, preferably lyric-less" genre? I'm pretty well versed in ambient/post-rock stuff so a little bit less that, I guess.

Listening to Forndom, a Norwegian group, and it's cool but I don't particularly like most of the lyrics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuXYZi-rZT0

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sunny Side Up posted:

Hi I’m not sure where to post this.

I’ve been a perpetual novice with a guitar I’ve always hated the sound of so it was completely demotivating but my wife just bought me a nice basic acoustic and it’s so fun.

I went to go sell this old guitar I bought for $50 off a friend’s dad maybe 19 years ago and eBay and Facebook marketplace say it’s worth more than that but I can’t find a good analogue. It’s a white dean z signature that’s a little beat up but not too bad. There’s no other identifying info except a serial number.

How would you figure what it’s worth to sell?

Go to a pawn shop and ask the guy what he’ll give you

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

shoeberto posted:

I'm looking for new bands to check out. Something in the general sound and lyrical style as Brand New, Jimmy Eat World or The Wonder Years.

Musically, I'd say I want something sorta melodic pop-punk-ish, a bit melancholic, and with lyrics that actually sound like they were written by someone over the age of 25. Bonus points if I can buy their stuff on Bandcamp.

Listen to the first Exit Verse album

https://exit-verse.bandcamp.com/album/exit-verse

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kalel posted:

looking for some versatile artists who draw from a diverse range of sounds, and switch genres frequently. the kind of songwriter who you can't believe wrote both A and B. the kind who would sandwich a ukulele ditty in between a breakcore rap and a symphonic metal anthem on the same album. I would assume this kind of artist would be categorized under "prog" or "indie" but I'm open to musicians from any source. thanks

Someone’s going to recommend king gizzard. But I won’t. I will recommend Flowers of Disgust.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Those two are pretty different.

Outlaw country (for stuff like Cash, Waylon, Willie, etc.) Willie's Roadhouse is the XM channel for it.

Handsome Family would probably fall under alternative country, which I dont think has its own channel.

There’s outlaw country and Willie’s roadhouse. 2 different channels. There is an alt country channel, but I’ve never listened to it. It’s called Y’alternative, which is most of the reason why.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There’s an Italian band called ZU that is in that direction. I think I saw them open for sleepytime gorillia museum actually. Haven’t listened to the albums but it’s in that avant-prog zone.

There’s a Philly band called Need New Body. Not sure if they’re still around, but you might like them. Kind of danceable but a lot of junk percussion and noise. Not amazing but ok.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Hello all! I need some good work songs. I don’t really know how to describe them other than songs like 16 Tons by Tennessee Ford, Another Cog in the Machine by The Cog is Dead and We All Lift Together by Keith Power. Songs about work but have that cadence to work to,if that makes sense. Like, Working in a Coal Mine is a song about work but it’s too upbeat and chipper.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bdl5fJ-c_lA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVyWzR9kz54

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

discount cathouse posted:

I am looking for Songs that could bei summed up as "Apocalyptic Revenge Fantasy". Imagine you have been wronged in a serious way and are expecting divine punishment to be handed down. I would Like Songs with that Vibe.
Examples:
Nina Simone - Pirate Jenny
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads will roll
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9_XkYYjTU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

I'm looking for more alternative country, but probably with a skew towards the Alternative - Wednesday (and MJ Lenderman's solo record) were the band that led me this way, alongside reading that Dinosaur Jr were partially envisioned as a loud country band along with The Replacements dalliances with country. I also enjoy Wilco, Uncle Tueplo, went through a big Calexico phase and have been enjoying Lucinda Williams. I tend to bounce off things that are quieter a bit more - I'm more about the squealing double-stops and slide over layers of fuzz.

Whiskeytown are a name that keep coming up, but Ryan Adams gives me the ick.

Listen to Gillian Welch - Time The Revelator and then listen to the rest of her albums.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Windows 98 posted:

Any recommendations that are similar to Wet Leg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9jeJk2UHQ

If you like that song specifically you might really like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTCUuTGNEnI

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm looking for a sound like ...

The problem is that I exclusively listen to music on YouTube, and I don't trust their algorithm one bent nickel. Pandora is useless unless I re-listen to everything I've listened to in the last year, last.fm can't import from YouTube, and Discogs wants me to note the albums, which in some cases I don't even know because they're uploads of TV shows. If anybody knows a way to export your YouTube playlist, I'm all ears.

I lived in the South for ten years, and I thought I hated country. Turns out I hate the current Nashville sound, which is different. I tripped over outlaw country a week or so ago, and I wondered how I'd missed out for so long. So: Waylon, Willie, Johnny, Kris, Nanci Griffith, Orville Peck, Nashville Skyline, some Merle Haggard, Hank Williams. I think of CSNY and Linda Ronstadt as being similar in style, but I've been wrong before. I grew up listening to '60s and later '70s folk.

What I think I see in common is lower-production, voice-forward, singer-songwriters. There may be continuities I'm missing because I don't know the terms. I don't like the "patriotic" stuff that is currently in vogue.

Who (especially if currently recording) would you recommend in that vein? Who else comes to mind?

I think you’re probably right to question calling CSNY outlaw country.

So he’s dead, but you’d like Jerry Jeff Walker.

Gillian Welch is not dead, but she might be retired. She and her partner Dave Rawlings make great folk/Americana music and run a record studio in Nashville. They have 5 records under her name and 3 under Dave’s name and one under both. All worth listening to. Do Time The Revelator first. Hopefully they’re not retired.

You mentioned Nashville Skyline, so Bob Dylan’s not retired yet, but he might be after next year. On tour, when he’s done he’s done, so fair warning. There was a bootleg series called “Travelin Thru” that documents his late-60s country period including the full duets with Johnny Cash and outtakes from John Wesley Harding and NS. Planet Waves from 1970 has a little country feel in some songs, you might like that. And since you want working artists, his most recent album was Rough and Rowdy Ways in 2020, and it’s a masterpiece.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Strange Cares posted:

I've been told this before, but the Prine I've found seems to be more country ballad than dance-able interesting instrumentation, and unfortunately country ballads just aren't my thing. Did he ever do anything that was outside of that particular wheelhouse?

What Zevon songs are you calling danceable? Excitable boy? Jeannie Needs A Shooter? Boom Boom Mancini? Or are you dancing to Something Bad Happened To A Clown?

Dylan would probably be the first comp I’d come up with, where his lyrics are funny and literary. He’s got a way bigger catalog than Zevon, though, so a lot of it isn’t probably going to be your kind of dance music. But if you haven’t done the deep dive, there’s 600+ songs to listen to.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What is the Townes Van Zandt album?

Live at the old quarter?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

inchworm posted:

speaking of waits, what albums are closest in his discography to Bone Machine?

Mule Variations, maybe Black Rider

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

mrfreeze posted:

Hey goons, I’m desperately in need of good “I love you and I’m here for you no matter what” songs. My fiancée is going through a living nightmare currently, and all of the songs I normally play or sing to them to make them feel loved come across more as “I desperately need you so don’t go anywhere” when things are like this.

Ideally something like this but with a more helpful message https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DxECLvhkqtE&pp=ygUdbW9vbmxpZ2h0IGZpc2ggaW4gYSBiaXJkY2FnZSA%3D

Seriously thank you for any help you can give. The right song or songs could literally save a life between now and when all this poo poo finally passes.

Time to break out the big guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYeHynfAxvY

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Well drat that killed the thread for a bit.

Ok now I want some good modern rock n roll that's not too cheesy or heavy. Stuff like Masters of Reality, The Supersuckers, Franz Ferdinand (yeah I know they're post punk or whatever but they got riffs and good steady beats) usually do it for me.

You’re obviously open to music that’s 25 years old (or 35 years old in the case of the supersuckers), so listen to Karate. Start with the first one and go to the last one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

No the supersuckers are 10 years old tops, I was seeing them in college in the mid 2000s.

I remember my friends older brother seeing supersuckers open for Slayer in like 88 or 89 and thinking that rock concerts sounded cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Anybody have any favorite acoustic instrumental artists? Anything lowtempo from Ry Cooder sprawling blues to jazzy cafe stuff, I'm not picky.

David grisman quintet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kalel posted:

looking for indie/prog/rock bands that use orchestral and concert band sounds (piano, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, violin, cello, etc.) in addition to the traditional rock setup (guitar, bass, drums, synth).

Belle and Sebastian