Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want everyone to revisit Masters, it's bringing me more joy than anything else in my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, thanks for the links. Interesting that these are up as I thought they were exclusive to Walmart until January.

I had a MOTU towel, pillow cases, VHS, and a couple hand me down figures when I was a kid, but the craze had mostly passed me by. My son is 10 months old, and I was intially buying these for him and found I am doubling up for myself now too, haha.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People have found listings in Target's systems as well. Jumping the gun for the holiday season is the current theory.

I made a dozen offers/BINs on Ebay and Marari last night, should be able to piece together almost all my incomplete figures. There's a dude making really good reproductions of original accessories so I'll be able to put a Ninjor together for far less than the $200 he's going for.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Rhyno posted:

I want everyone to revisit Masters, it's bringing me more joy than anything else in my collection.

What's interesting is I was never into He-man as a kid, but am starting to get into it now because of all the crazy characters they have.

Similar thing happened to me with the Fortnite figures. I don't care about the game, but love the weird characters.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Shiftypenguin posted:

What's interesting is I was never into He-man as a kid, but am starting to get into it now because of all the crazy characters they have.

Similar thing happened to me with the Fortnite figures. I don't care about the game, but love the weird characters.

I basically approach the whole hobby as an art collector, and good character design /good toy design are the foremost criteria I use to decide what to buy. I mean obviously there’s an element of nostalgia or just being a nerd in general, but has to look good. I’d rather buy a toy that looks cool than a character from my favorite movie. The reason I’d pay out the rear end for a huge Millennium Falcon is the same reason somebody might buy a little reproduction of Michelangelo’s David; out of appreciation for the art. As a child of the 70s the Millennium Falcon is my David. Well, that and my brother, who is named that. But you get the idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Masters was THE toy for me as a kid. I'm really mad at myself for not getting back in sooner and scooping up an Eternia before they spiked over $500 on average. Or any of the last dozen or so figures I need that hit $200+. But thankfully there's a guy making high quality reproductions of rare parts so I'm buying up some loose figures for far cheaper and completing them that way. Ninjor is $200+ complete but I snagged one with just the mask and bid for $55 and the repros are $35 so that's far cheaper than going for an all original. Gonna do the same for several others.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I basically approach the whole hobby as an art collector, and good character design /good toy design are the foremost criteria I use to decide what to buy. I mean obviously there’s an element of nostalgia or just being a nerd in general, but has to look good. I’d rather buy a toy that looks cool than a character from my favorite movie. The reason I’d pay out the rear end for a huge Millennium Falcon is the same reason somebody might buy a little reproduction of Michelangelo’s David; out of appreciation for the art. As a child of the 70s the Millennium Falcon is my David. Well, that and my brother, who is named that. But you get the idea.

100% agree. My son asked me why I collect toys the other day. I told him they're like little works of art you can pose and enjoy. I might not care about every character, but if the figure is good I can appreciate it.

He then complained I have more toys than he does.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Masters was THE toy for me as a kid. I'm really mad at myself for not getting back in sooner and scooping up an Eternia before they spiked over $500 on average. Or any of the last dozen or so figures I need that hit $200+. But thankfully there's a guy making high quality reproductions of rare parts so I'm buying up some loose figures for far cheaper and completing them that way. Ninjor is $200+ complete but I snagged one with just the mask and bid for $55 and the repros are $35 so that's far cheaper than going for an all original. Gonna do the same for several others.

Is there an easy way to price check these things other than eBay completed listings? I've got a bunch of vintage MOTU at my mom's house that I'm never going to display. I assumed the classics and other reissues had largely killed the desire for the originals.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

People have found listings in Target's systems as well. Jumping the gun for the holiday season is the current theory.

I made a dozen offers/BINs on Ebay and Marari last night, should be able to piece together almost all my incomplete figures. There's a dude making really good reproductions of original accessories so I'll be able to put a Ninjor together for far less than the $200 he's going for.

Would you happen to have a link to your repro guy, by chance? I’ve been trying to find a reasonable way to complete my Trap Jaw.

I really like how the MOTUO stuff looks modern but rejects the McFarlane influence - they all have clean paint jobs, symmetrical designs, bold colors, etc. They really look like an update of the old toys and not a “reimagining.” The thing I loved about MOTU as a kid was how wild and different each character looked (even though most of them used a lot of the same parts).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Diddler posted:

Is there an easy way to price check these things other than eBay completed listings? I've got a bunch of vintage MOTU at my mom's house that I'm never going to display. I assumed the classics and other reissues had largely killed the desire for the originals.

You'd be surprised, vintage demand is high. Shoot me a list of what you have, im still piecing the line together.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
My ML deluxe War Machine just arrived from Dorkside (finally) and he's quite cool. Now I want a retool in the Dum Dum Doogan version.

The built-in bowler hat helmet was the best part of that series.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Shiftypenguin posted:

100% agree. My son asked me why I collect toys the other day. I told him they're like little works of art you can pose and enjoy. I might not care about every character, but if the figure is good I can appreciate it.

Just to name another example, if anybody asked me what the best TV show of all time is, I would say "Twin Peaks" without hesitation. Have I ever craved Twin Peaks action figures? Absolutely not. I mean, you might be able to tempt me with an extremely classy Dale Cooper figure, but there's no way I would want a shelf lined with the entire cast, it would just be a bunch of normal-looking people. (OK, well, unusually attractive people.)

Thundercats wouldn't crack my top ten TV shows, but the art was amazing, the character designs were great across the board, and there's basically no Thundercats character where I wouldn't be excited to buy a good toy.

On that note, speaking of vintage toys being worth an assload of money, there are some Thundercats figures that go for $200 easily, just loose with no accessories. There's also a decent market for reproductions of said accessories. A carded vintage Thundercat can fetch four digits without really trying.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Meanwhile I would kill for like Neca to make Twin Peaks line of figures. Need a Log Lady figure stat.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Shiftypenguin posted:

He then complained I have more toys than he does.

lol my daughters do the same, and when they ask I tell them I've been doing it since I was 5 and doing it now makes me feel like I am a kid again and scratches that nostalgia itch. I say it makes me happy and it's important to hold onto things that make you happy. Then I talk about how we live in hellworld.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Just to name another example, if anybody asked me what the best TV show of all time is, I would say "Twin Peaks" without hesitation. Have I ever craved Twin Peaks action figures? Absolutely not. I mean, you might be able to tempt me with an extremely classy Dale Cooper figure, but there's no way I would want a shelf lined with the entire cast, it would just be a bunch of normal-looking people. (OK, well, unusually attractive people.)
Haha, I have a 3 3/4" Dale Cooper action figure on my desk at work, and nobody has ever correctly identified it. People have guessed everything from Dick Tracy to Clark Kent to some guy from Supernatural who wears a trench coat.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Preordered Man-e-faces and Scareglow, I have some childhood nostalgia attached to those two

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think I asked this in this thread before, but I remember He-Man and maybe like 5% of these characters were actually in it I think? Are the rest from a comic or something, or just made for a toyline?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

I think I asked this in this thread before, but I remember He-Man and maybe like 5% of these characters were actually in it I think? Are the rest from a comic or something, or just made for a toyline?

I think there were a lot of characters that showed up as guest stars or “monster of the week” and were never really seen again. There was sort of a core cast of heroes and villains you would see every day and then a ton of random one-shot dudes. Also a lot of them were actually on She-Ra instead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And they would come with a mini comic explaining what their deal was, and their role in the greater MOTU.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It’s happening!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hello, what do we have here?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

It’s happening!

Don't these assholes know I'm already poor?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Your brother's name is Millennium Falcon? Cool parents.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I buy toys both because of the things I love and to take pics of them. Taking pics is kind half the excitement for me tbh.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

You already got me buying Transformers, don’t you make this worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Picked a few more from ebay and marcari. Now to try and not buy any more until the show next weekend.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I found a Baroness in the wild! But a goon had already sold me one. Anyone have any Troopers and want to trade two for the Baroness?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Toyark/status/1306950871876620288?s=20

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Why swappable armor?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Why swappable armor?

It's in the concept art colors. Hot Toys got into Star Wars concept art designs for a bit.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

In those pictures it shows the Empire Strikes Back armor which was mostly green, and the Return of the Jedi armor which had a lot more red and yellow accents.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Aphrodite posted:

It's in the concept art colors. Hot Toys got into Star Wars concept art designs for a bit.

I guess I'd need a side by side to tell the difference between 'em.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's mostly just a way you can re-release a figure you already did 3 times.

Mold 2 copies of the armor and paint them slightly different.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Then put out a pure white version at a 50% price increase.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Finally Lando - been waiting a while for that one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I ordered a carbonized Black Series Stormtrooper from Gamestop along with a Kamino Trooper. The Kamino one arrived a week ago but the Stormtrooper is just sitting on "order received." Has anyone had Gamestop gently caress up in this particular way?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Re-replying to your post

The Diddler posted:

There's a few FB groups with decent pricing options but Ebay and Marcari have a lot of deals if you dig. Incidentally, if you have any of these figures

Rhyno posted:

Teela
Zodac
Horde Trooper
Dragstor
Terror Claws Skeletor
Extendar
Snout Spout
Multi-Bot
Blast Attak
Buzz Saw Hordak
Rotar
Twistoid
Scare Glow
Blade
Saurod

Or these vehicles

quote:

Blasterhawk
Firght FIghter
Binotops
Turbodactyl
Tyrantasaurus Rex

I would be interested in talking a deal.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Ryno, do you have any interest in "Meteorbs"? They were released in America under the Masters of the Universe brand for some reason, but they were really reissues of weird Japanese toys that transformed from eggs into little animals. I have 3 or 4 of those guys and I'm definitely not very attached to them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Ryno, do you have any interest in "Meteorbs"? They were released in America under the Masters of the Universe brand for some reason, but they were really reissues of weird Japanese toys that transformed from eggs into little animals. I have 3 or 4 of those guys and I'm definitely not very attached to them.

The actual MOTU ones? Quite possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I had to look those up and drat, those are crazy.