Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

bgaesop posted:

Hey, remember these guys?

Wasn't it neat when we could buy figures that looked like these?

I'm kind of relieved that ML is just going to a special release type of thing. I have two huge boxes filled with figures. There's still characters I'd want, but still, it was a good run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Just list the figures individually, and if they have any important things missing, make a note of that. Also, if you have any Fourth World DCUC (Darkseid, Orion, Lightray, Big Barda, Kalibak) and a regular Superman I'll snatch those up.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Jet Ready Go posted:

I paid 7.99 for this guy.. so maybe it's the -same- price?

Nope. When Legends first started, it was a 5.99-6.99 line, and that carried through up until the later BAF waves of toy biz, and spiked when Hasbro took over.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I would get that, but I only want Darkseid and Desaad. Goddamn build-a-figures...

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I remember buying Marvel Legends off the pegs for 6 bucks. That wasn't even that long ago. :smith:

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I'm looking for any 4th World related DCU figures, aside from Mister Miracle which I already have, if anyone is willing to trade/sell. That includes:

Orion
Barda
Lightray
CnC Kalibak
Desaad
CnC Darkseid
Parademons
Mantis
Steppenwolf

For trade, I have pretty much every single Marvel Legend that came out pre-2010, including most variants, so if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. I'm not willing to part with some of my Legends, but if you have a list of wants, I can see if I can help out.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I'd be all over Marvel Legends if they weren't so loving expensive. I just got into toy collecting again less than a year ago and the prices on all Marvel toys are absolutely ridiculous. The only reason I can even try to get the stuff I want from Marvel Universe is because I can occasionally find it in stores. I know they're reviving Legends at some point in the future, but I still wouldn't be able to find any of the previously released stuff at a decent price if I started collecting that now.

Man, when I started buying Legends, they were $5.88 a piece at Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Whatevermart.

Prices for toys have become ridiculous thanks to oil/plastic prices.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Djarum posted:

Granted I don't blame them, Marvel Legends/Universe and DCUC are collector lines. Kids aren't really interested in them, mostly because kids aren't interested in comics. If they are able to subsidize it somewhat and keep them alive by charging a little extra than I guess that is a lesser of two evils but it still is a evil.

That's true. If Hasbro did a MOTU-style Legends Club, I'd probably sign up as long as the figures were truly premium quality. I have trouble plunking down cash for their store Legends (if I ever even see them) thanks to them having cheap rear end plastic, poorly thought out articulation, and terrible paint apps.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Shots of the Hot Toys movie Captain America figure.

For as underwhelmed as I was with the Thor one (it looked awkward to me, especially with his helmet on, which is odd considering their Odin looked good with his helmet on), this one looks really nice, although I can see them making another version down the line with an unhelmeted portrait, especially if the movie does well (although I don't see it reaching the same status in Japan as Iron Man or Nolan's Batman).

Just found my birthday present to myself. What is the best retailer to buy Hot Toys stuff through? I've never taken the plunge before.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Djarum posted:

Yeah it is the SDCC Thunder Deco Modern Thor.

Here is a better shot.

According to the sculptor Hasbro has sat on this thing for THREE YEARS. It really makes one ask if they have had something that good just sitting around what the gently caress is wrong with them.

You can tell they sat on it for that long since it has a lot of that crummy early Hasbro articulation that has disappeared by the time the two packs came around.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Welp, looks like I'm buying ML again.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

I dunno, I figure we'll see a Mekanek first.

I realize its because they have way more custom parts than the average figure, but the fact that they have yet to make Mekanek or Ram-Man for the line confounds me.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Satsuki posted:

It's really stupid how they are making people who get the "all in" sub now double dip on shipping because they keep making things outside of it. At least give us free shipping or something if we have a sub and have to order something else MOTUC on a sale day.

They definitely need a gold and silver tier subscription system. Silver for regular releases only, gold for everything. It would split nicely between the people who don't want everything or aren't comfortable with preordering big ticket figures or sets and those who will buy anything they release anyways.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Matlock posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it's criminal the price they're charging for action figures now. Ten years ago, that'd be $30-$35.

poo poo, I don't think I paid more than $30 dollars for the Marvel Legends X-Men 5 pack, and that was what, 6 years ago?

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Satsuki posted:

Yeah I know, they pull everything because god forbid anything stay on the site more than a few days.

They also pulled all the All-Star sale stuff the day before the SDCC stuff went up so people couldn't combine those. They must get kick backs on shipping.

There's no way materials + shipping weight adds up to 8 or 9 dollars for regular ground shipping. Those boxes are light as hell. Plus with the volume they kick out, they probably have a better rate through their fulfillment company, too. It's definitely a way to grift a few more bucks.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Vaerai Archon posted:

It's even worse when you realise alot of the Ebay listings for figures can be traced back to Matty itself.

So you know all those rare/shortpacked/chase figures that somehow show up enmass on ebay? Hey the company picked them out of the cases themselves and put them up.

They intetionaly scalp their own product to sell on the secondary market. But it will leave the same shipping center as the regular figures.

:aaaaa: I've only bought three things from Matty Collector, but I think I'm done.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I get that they don't want stock sitting there in a warehouse, but they're the ones that shoot themselves in the foot by closing orders super fast when they have stock. I understand that they need some overage for replacement, but they artificially set supply all the time. Plus, you're going to zero out your line growth when people can't even get the core figures they need to start interest.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I think the biggest issue is the fact that they are pushing people to do the club subscriptions, but when you have over half of the line for the year that hasn't even been hinted at much less unveiled, you're forcing your consumers to take a lot on faith.

There's no way in hell you'd be able to get me to agree to pre-purchase product that is unknown to me, and I imagine a large amount of their customer base feels the same.

Again, I only have He-Man and Skeletor from the line, but it isn't exactly an inviting situation if I ever felt like purchasing more.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I need a good modern Rogers Cap figure.

The Toybiz ML Two-Pack Cap that came with a Red Skull/Baron Strucker is pretty much perfect. I don't need to ever get another Rogers Cap figure.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

gently caress that.

Yeah, I couldn't get down with DCUC for the reasons you outlined, and I only have 2 MOTUC figures. Marvel Legends had faults, but the amount of unique tooling in comparison is overwhelming.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

That playset is loving awesome. I would have flipped my wig if I had one of those for my turtles as a kid.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The Goon posted:

Yeah, there's no other explanation for "auto-morph Lion's feet" and other such dumb gimmicks. I'm sitll getting it though because, y'know, 2 foot tall Voltron.

In other news, I don't know if anyone here collects Macross related items, but gently caress Bandai. See this here? http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN975641

Looks pretty cool right? A little pricey, but i'd definitely love to get it.

Unfortunately, Bandai made such limited stock that the pre-orders sold out in less than 5 minutes - at every single e-tailer where it's shown up for sale.

This is insane, i'm not paying $400 for this on Ebay. gently caress Bandai, and gently caress them for apparently taking business lessons from Mattel.

Do these things have fighter and gerwalk modes on them?

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Sideshow and Lego are teaming up.... what the gently caress? $300 lego sets?

Seems par for the course for most Lego sets, really.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Is there a NXM variant of Fantomex, or is it UXF only?

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The running variants really bum me out when they're different characters.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Oh yes, and Castle Greskullman :psyduck:

That was such a piece of poo poo. The runners up that they showed looked really cool, especially in contrast.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I can't stand the guilt trip poo poo they pull on their own consumers. Either figure out how to pay for the line, scale it back, or cancel it. Don't hang it around the neck of the people you're supposed to be trying to sell it to. If it fails, it's because of Mattel, not because of people that don't want to pre-order a years worth of poo poo that they aren't even told about up front.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The line really doesn't have much left in it really. It seems like they held Mekanek and Ram Man hostage for a long time to insure that people would keep buying in anticipation for those two, but now that they're set for release, there aren't many must haves remaining in the line unless they decide to go in a new direction with the whole "Son of He-Man" poo poo.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

After many years out of the game, I'm back on the Marvel Legends train. Someone help.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Just snagged the whole set of Captain America legends figures from target! Glad I checked to see if they had them while I was picking up last minute items for Christmas dinner!

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Where are you located? All I want is the Marvel Now Cap, but I'm not expecting much luck in scalper-infested Orlando.

Boise, Idaho. If I would've known I would have kept an eye out. I'll probably go back in a few days to load up on Hydra and AIM dudes, so if they have one I'll grab it too. Do you want the Mandroid piece or just the figure?

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Just the figure, and if you can connect, I'll send you Paypal ASAP!

Thank you for the offer of help.

No problem, I'll let you know if I find one! These weren't on the floor, by the way. A very amazing associate brought a fresh case out from the stockroom. They aren't scheduled to hit the floor until their reset, at least locally.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

If anyone finds any extra hydra or aim soldiers around, I'll buy em from you.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The Rage posted:

I'm looking for some ML figures to fill in my collection, here's the list:

ML ASM2 Wave
ML Hydra and AIM Soldiers
ML Hyperion
ML Bucky Captain America
ML FF Doom
ML Red Deadpool
ML Thunderball
ML X-Force Pack
ML Madame Masque
ML Daken
ML Steve Rogers
ML WL Sabertooth
ML WL Cyclops
ML Punisher (red skull)
Toy Biz ML

If anyone has any of those you want to sell/trade shoot me a PM, here's a picture of what I have available to trade.

I also have a sealed copy of Injustice Gods Among Us for 360 that I'd be willing to trade/sell as well. $30 shipped in the US.

I could probably snag you a wolverine legends sabertooth and cyclops. I'll check this weekend.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The Rage posted:

Thanks sir! They're up on Amazon for $20ish each, so let me know what you find.

That's about what I'd get them for. I think they go for 19.99 since they're Diamond exclusive, so that price is about retail for them.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Has anyone bought the new Amazing Spider-Man figure, and if so, can they compare it to the well-loved McFarlane Spidey from several years ago?

I don't like the ASM body as much as the McFarlane (the chest is flat, the torso cut doesn't crunch as well, and the legs don't swing up as much), but if they made a traditional spidey with the Superior body, it would trump it. The Superior Spidey body is very, very good.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

funtax posted:

The original one was from the "Spider-man Classics" line, series 12. Specifically, "Superposeable Wall-Crawling Spider-Man".

The dark ones are a re-release. Not as valuable as the original, but you still sometimes see them sell for quite a bit.

There's also this one from the Fearsome Foes boxed set with a different headsculpt. They eyes are more classic Spidey, though the face is kind of flat from profile so it doesn't look as good. The blues are even lighter than the original McFarlane Spider-Man.

(Sorry for the bad image)

The Fearsome Foes boxed set is even rarer though, and it has an excellent Rhino, Lizard and Vulture that I don't believe were ever released separately. The Carnage that came with it was also the best one until this most recent Hasbro one.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Looks like that All-New X-Men boxed set that leaked which was previously thought to be a SDCC exclusive is actually a Toys 'R' Us exclusive, releasing next month. Run on sentence.

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=252&itemid=16925

I can dig it. I just hope the Beast's forearms have articulation. It looks like a lump of plastic from these photos.

I hope that this bodes well for more boxed sets in the future!

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Hmm... Yeah I didn't see the large images updated when I posted. They ain't great, which is a shame considering the high quality streak Hasbro has been on since the line relaunched. I'll have to see them in person before I take the plunge.

...Who am I kidding, I'll pick them up on sight. But I hope future box sets have a little more care put into them if these are successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The Rage posted:

and it's already been pulled, link doesn't work anymore on the TRU site

Don't worry, it's back up. At $140. :psyboom: