Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there really ever a time where a 12" DCD figure is worth the price though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oof. I haven't bought figures in a couple of years, but I want Ghostbusters and that Mattel Buzz Lightyear.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ugh. I haven't bought a figure outside of the NECA Ninja Turtles since 2005 or so, and I was all set to get Buzz Lightyear and Egon from Matty.

$40 for a 3 3/4" figure and a 6" figure with one accessory. Yeah, eat a dick Mattel.

ps i miss palisades

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Satsuki posted:

Micronauts wasn't nearly as bad a tragedy as the Army of Darkness figures ... that first batch was complete poo poo and came at a really bad time when the company was suffering, and a lot of replacements had to be sent out. I think the final total was almost like 60% of the stuff released the Suncoast/Musicland was returned. That was about the time that whole franchise crashed down anyway ... unfortunately Nicktoons toys couldn't keep the company afloat much longer.

Micronauts had huge problems too, but that was mostly in the past when they hired me, I was all Palz, Props, Zim, Fairly Odd Parents ... they had some cool stuff in 6" scale since Marvel Legends was the thing then, there was a Planet of the Apes and Terminator line that was sculpted but never made it out.

Ren and Stimpy was a fantastic line, and Sesame Street was looking like it'd be very good.

I think a lack of QC towards the end (Super Beaker and AOD were nightmares), being way too creative (the glut of stupid in house stuff like the urbanized anthropomorphic animals; AOD Series 2 in blind boxes), and the rising costs of oil ultimately just combined for one killing blow. They were operating like they had the money and popularity of Hasbro with the budget and popularity of...well, Palisades.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

Palisades was awful at this, I never saw a single Muppet figure ever anywhere. I am amazed NECA stays in business since the only place I have ever seen any of their product is in a corner at a Spencer Gifts (which is another company I am amazed still is around).

Really? I saw them at TRU and EB Games/Gamestop pretty regularly. Plus I stopped in a TRU recently to get a game and I saw a ton of NECA figures there.

This is coming from a place that when I actually bought figures had jackshit. New Marvel Legends rarely showed up.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
If Egon had a sculpt that were worth $20 + gigantic loving shipping instead of a slightly above average for Mattel sculpt I would have been all over it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Their shipping is my number 2 problem with them. #1 is that they're pawning these things off at specialty small company (NECA, Mezco) prices for poo poo that's not in the same stratosphere of quality, in addition to them being one of the biggest toy companies in the world. It's offensive.

but yeah, eat a loving dick mattel $10 shipping for a goddamn 3 3/4" figure?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, the DCD 12" Watchmen figures are loving awful

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_091609b.htm

Hasbro figures at DCD's retarded prices.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That is a huge loving head on Comedian

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's really depressing going back to like 2003/04 in the Michael Crawford review archives and seeing how many companies and stores are dead

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fish Of Doom posted:

As well as seeing his standards rise over time.

I only casually go there, what do you think he's softened on

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

It's really depressing to see figures that Legends fans have been requesting for years getting made for MU (Silver Samurai, Multiple Man, Darkhawk, Jean Grey, Ultron).

Uh, excuse me, they MADE an Ultron in ML! :colbert:

:negative:

This thread has me all nostalgic/sad. Man, ML deserved better. I'll never forget the day I just decided to go to TRU on a whim, and I see a loving freshly stocked shelf full of Series 6. I stood there slackjawed for a minute, considering my town never really got ANYTHING new, even the Wal-Marts, and immediately snatched up Deadpool, Juggernaut, and Phoenix.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
By the way, Mattel doesn't pay income tax so I'd stop buying their products

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-20129155/study-many-fortune-500-cos-paid-$0-taxes/?tag=stack

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
With regards to pricechat from a few pages ago, the skyrocketing prices of mass market stuff would be slightly easier to swallow if the quality had gone up from 10 years ago. But it's stagnated, and arguably gone down in some regards. They improved from the initial Hasbro ML releases, but that REALLY doesn't count. Toy Biz's latter day ML releases had some issues (giraffe neck Mr. Sinister, some crappy bodies), but they were definitely learning in some regards, at least.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Around what time did Marvel Select go from being wildly overpriced and out of scale uninteresting figures to what it is now? I remember how crappy the original ones were with Punisher, and now you have that Cable.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been looking through some old stuff, and man mini-busts kinda died off, huh? I imagine a large part of it is Palisades dying, but you couldn't turn a page in Previews 10-12 years ago without a bunch of mini-busts being announced.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Gentle Giant seems like its it, and I was never a huge fan of theirs. All of their sculpts look too soft. Palisades is dead, Sideshow only dabbled in them for a short time, and Diamond stopped making them ages ago. It's a shame, since I found them to be a affordable and space-conscious alternative to full size statues.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always had the worst luck/availability with figures since the local TRU/Walmart never really got anything notable. Then one day I happened to be there just as they unpacked the latest ML shipment. I snagged Deadpool (which was awesome) and Phoenix (not so much) and couldn't believe my luck.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Harrison Ford seems to be a guy who is impossible to sculpt. There's never really been a good sculpt of the guy.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

The DC Classics line is no longer in stores, it's wrapping up it's run as MattyCollector exclusives. DC Collectibles has a dozen or more lines per year these days, all in the same scale.

Do they still do the same thing they did when they were DC Direct and announce new lines like a year ahead of time? That drove me bonkers.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bushifox posted:

Target has that Ms Marvel/cap/radioactive man on clearance for $35

http://www.target.com/p/marvel-capt...gure+collection

That's the CLEARANCE price?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK, so who buys this loving stuff?

They must sell a ton because I've seen at least four companies in Toy Fair recaps selling some sort of Mego ripoff and/or ReAction ripoff. They look godawful and there's a ton of them. Figures sucked back then because they had to! They don't have to be garbage now!!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I saw Donkey Kong and Toon Link tonight. DK looked fine, but Link was beyond hideous.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
On one hand, I wish the Hasbro ML looked a fraction as good as the Toy Biz ones.

On the other, I'm fine with keeping my money.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Yeah they were awful. I think I paid $20 for the boxed set back then and I still felt ripped off.

Ah the days where you weren't charged ridiculous prices for mass market toys. What a strange time.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The exclusive Funkos were a nightmare to find, though. I miraculously stumbled upon a Venom but never found Punisher.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mass market pricing has gotten so gross. Those things were like $7-10 a pop ten years ago and should probably be $12-13 right now.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Well considering that these are $20 each and smaller scale with this poo poo tier job of paint and the mold is pretty lazy .

That's bad reasoning. Mass market garbage like that being priced (and bought!) at $20 is worse than the overpriced Hot Toys and Mondo figures and neither should be used to justify the other.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I really wish nerds would just throw their hands up and stop spending $20+ on mass market stuff like Star Wars and Marvel Legends. Really tell these companies "this poo poo is $10-13 quality"

But nerds are the biggest case of "bark is worse than their bite" ever

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Age of Ultron was fine, maybe even mediocre. AoTC and to a lesser degree TPM are in the conversation for top 10 or 20 worst movies ever.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also the head sculpt on that Venom Snake kinda blows

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know they're mostly persona non grata around here, but has anyone managed to come across Green Goblin or Taskmaster Funko Pops at Walgreens? Mine are mostly wastelands of months old product.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Should I keep an eye out? I'm in Walgreens sometimes looking for other stuff.

That would be cool.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember the Toy Biz female Legends routinely being the worst figures in the line

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
For those who would like a Nendoroid Mega Man but scoff at the price, Funko will be coming out with Pops of Mega Man, Wily, Proto Man, and Rush

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

these are cute

Where did you get those? Been looking for them since they were announced

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

I genuinely don't get the appeal of Pops and I don't want to

The days of $10 high quality figures like Palisades Muppets or even mass market stuff like Marvel Legends are dead, so it's nice to have something that is affordable. Plus they're not too big.

I mean I remember when this thread went gaga over Mighty Muggs, so...

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

I get that, moreso I don't get the appeal of the stylized look, especially since it's basically the same across them all.

Also my dig about DC earlier was meant toward the movies.

Eh, acquired taste. The character usually comes through unless you're buying a generic white guy from a TV show. Try and guess who these guys are:

I have a Kirby Nendoroid & it's great. I have a Venom Snake one on order. They're mostly too anime for me, though. And overpriced.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just got my Venom Snake Nendoroid, and man I cannot fathom how anyone on a dollars to dollars basis consider these things that much better than your random Funko Pop or what have you.

The Kirby one was great because it used magnets and had customizable limbs that were very large. Venom Snake on the other hand is what I imagine most Nendoroid's to be like: Some of the loosest joints I've ever seen on a figure, limbs that fall off at a blink of an eye, nearly impossible to put in a base. If it were maybe 1-3" larger it'd be much easier to handle, but at the current size it's unusable. Charging $40 for something like this is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh man I missed mid-2000s nostalgia in here. I miss Palisades so much. They flamed out at the end with paint and bad decisions, but their good stuff was as good as anything today for a price that kills anything today, even with inflation.

Also I have to have that Austin