Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The oddest thing about stranger in a strange land (to my perspective anyway) is that it managed to introduce a word as stupid as 'grok' to the point that i occasionally hear people say it in a tone other than scornful irony like 50 years after the book came out. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Did I touch a nerve? For the purposes of the book i get it but seriously, saying it aloud either earns you puzzled stares from people who don't get it or the eternal disdain of people who do.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Barry Foster posted:

I'm not sure I can face a universe without more Culture novels, but I can't think of anyone other than El-Bonko who'd be able to pull one off.

I've not read that China Mieville chap, though, and I hear he's got similar politics, at least. Any thoughts, fellow Minds?

China mieville is excellent in his own right but not all that reminiscent of banks IMO. Read his stuff anyway, start with embassytown, then perdido street station if you are interested in fantasy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tony Montana posted:

No poo poo. I've only read UoW, there are other civilizations more advanced than The Culture? So using humans with humans is political as much as anything else. Mind blown, dudes, cheers :)

After the Idiran war the question really hinges on what constitutes a civilization. Some of the sublimed probably are but they don't really bother with galactic events.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

MikeJF posted:

There are probably places within the Culture where people treat death as a hobby and use the backups repeatedly, but hey, there's an Orbital for everyone.

look to windward has an extended scene in which a bunch of culture humans go lava rafting and several of them are incinerated to no major dismay among the rest, i think. it's been a while since i read it though.

Ed: beaten of course.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
For those of you who haven't seen Her you should do so, it reminded me of Banks in that it's basically the story of a mind being born in the frame of an oddball love story. It also has some pretty cool near-future speculation sprinkled in the background that is really interesting.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fragmented posted:

Thanks. The movie is a little slow but its a Sunday edible day so its perfect.

-edit Those were baby minds at best. And the fuckers sublime right away. Still an ok movie.

I considered the OSes to be roughly human-level AIs and the event at the end of the movie to be the creation of a group consciousness proto-Mind. I'm pretty sure some of the culture stuff mentioned a similar process in culture early history.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
For those interested in this topic the excellent Ancillary Justice explores it in a fascinating if initially confusing way.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fragmented posted:

Yeah but that's still just a skirmish. Banks wrote some awesome battle scenes. I wish we got one giant one. I know he would say that's not the point but what can I say...it wouuld have been awesome.

Edit: The time of gridfire would make it the perfect mine weapon. Gridfire behind them and even if they go out of 3D space they are still dead. The Culture would make the best RTS game ever I swear. Homeworld on LSD

I never got the impression that there were Trafalgar- style battles with a bunch of ships of the line on either side that banks wasn't showing us. The sides were too asymmetric (especially at first), units too fast, objectives too distributed and volumes too large to be anything other than a guerrilla campaign on a huge scale.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lasting Damage posted:

Although I guess its possible some Mind did, and decided to keep that information to itself.

It amuses me to think of that interaction as very similar to the arrested development scene where the gym teacher lets tobias direct the school play.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you're a culture fan in general you'd probably enjoy the algebraist, it's similar in content but just has a different setting. Plus the dwellers are very entertaining.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

General Battuta posted:

Knew it wouldn't go unloved. Banks fo lyfe

Am i misinterpreting this or are you involved with Destiny in some way?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Ah, cool. Congrats. I've been kinda interested in the game but all my video gaming takes place on a 5 year old mac or a 3ds at the moment so I had kind of forgotten about it for a while.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It could work but it would need a strong and ruthless editor.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
LOU Let it Go

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hedrigall posted:

I just read a review of Surface Detail that said this

and honestly that sounds amazing, should I skip forward and read this book next (I've read Phlebas, Games, Weapons and State of the Art) or just continue with the publication order and read Excession next? I know they're all standalone books and can be read in any order yada yada yada, but what would you recommend I tackle next?

Look to windward is really, really good.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

FrozenDorf posted:

Honestly I think Look to Windward suffices. It has good coverage of the setting; bits on culture life, tech, orbitals, Minds, old wars, Contact meddling, etc. The couple dozen pages of ship name banter may or may not go over well, though.

You can probably just skip over that part and explain it's an in-joke for long time series readers

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Was i the only person who didn't like the big 'mistake not' reveal? I honestly thought the idea was cooler before that happened, it's not like it wasn't abundantly clear what 'mistake not...' was implying anyway.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you're able to "hear" words as you read them feersumm endjinn is not super difficult.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

mallamp posted:

That's slow reading, most people try to unlearn it as soon as they can

Yes, because doing it all the time is both a good idea and what i suggested.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Excession is a very good book but I've always thought despite that, it was one of the weaker culture novels. Hopefully you're in for a real treat when you get to the rest of them.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Combed Thunderclap posted:

a Mind using its leverage as a key player in that conflict just to try to help a single human psychologically heal. It was a nice reminder that there are Minds who are incredibly good (or who at least care about humans above all) after all the other Mind shenanigans.

I dunno man, I'm not sure Sleeper Service did anything admirable, it basically enabled a human to throw a decades long tantrum after assaulting a pregnant woman and killing her fetus, then risked annihilation of the meta civilization just to make its favorite pet feel better. I thought the whole point was that Sleeper Service was exactly as eccentric as it was ostensibly pretending to be.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Notahippie posted:

Alastair Reynolds has some of the scope and epic-ness and the analysis/deconstruction of social systems of Banks, but completely lacks the playfulness that Banks has.

Behold.. the wedding gun!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I would be totally down with assimilating into a culture-equiv society of galactic fish people

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I don't like the mistake not because I felt like it didn't need the full name dramatic reveal. Mistake not makes it perfectly clear all by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Kesper North posted:

It's totally a knife missile. It's just stolen and salvaged from the Culture and they don't have an AI to work it, so they have to use a lovely off-market neural interface fin.

It's not a knife missile, it's a whiphound from The Prefect

• Locked thread