Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

boo_radley posted:

Listen, nerds: We're getting garbage candidates who are idiots. Do you think you can do this? Goddamn: The last candidate interviewed showed up in a golf shirt, penny loafers and athletic socks. and he didn't know poo poo. The bar is kinda low.

Are you in Denver? Do you know C#? Do you know SharePoint? No? How about MVC? Or asp.net?

PM Me and let's find a way to get you a job and me a coworker I don't have to murder and dump in a gully.

Haha, I know where you work and that sounds pretty cool having been there once. How technical of a person are you looking for? I can send a colleague in Denver your way, but he's a got an ag bank regulatory background like I do and he's not as technical as I am.

e: having trouble sending a PM on this app, but can receive- mind sending a PM with your email?

air- fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Removed

air- fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 9, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

There's nothing there that I feel highly qualified for, but we use M-Files at my office, and I've been really, really happy with it. My company is around 300 users, and M-Files handles our document load (a little north of 1.5 TB) very well. The consultant we brought in to assist with upgrades was always excellent, too.

Definitely going to be watching that careers page for something slightly less senior-level. I've been using M-Files for the past several years, and wouldn't mind doing it full-time.

Shoot me a PM with your email and let's talk more. To be honest, you have more experience with the product than I do (I started in October as a consultant) and we are always looking for consultants even though there is no official posting.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Removed

air- fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 9, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Removed

air- fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 9, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Very curious to know if "everywhere" would mean remote is OK too!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Removed

air- fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 2, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

edit: sorry, wrong thread

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Klenath posted:

JOB POSTING

Seeking one candidate: A tier-2 skilled desktop support person to work in a higher education environment supporting central administrative office staff.

Sent this over to a buddy in Baltimore, should be hearing from him shortly!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah don't tell anyone your prior salary.

How do you answer when a recruiter/HR drone brings up salary in the first call, like in an initial screening before even having an interview?

Curious on the correct way to handle it since I got lucky in the one time it came up, so I threw out an absurd high number and it ended up working out in my favor. The recruiter owned up to the position paying below market and apologized for wasting my time.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Removed

air- fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 2, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Job Seeker

My experience: 3.5 years IT experience in professional services, databases, and technical support. My most recent positions were implementation roles working with enterprise clients (configuration, Windows admin, troubleshooting, SQL/SSRS, some HTML/CSS). 4 years of finance experience prior to IT.

Education: BS in Finance

What I'm looking for: Similar client facing positions: implementation, consulting, account management, or pre/post-sales engineer. Technical business analyst positions would be good too.

Where I'm looking: Austin, TX, Portland, OR and surrounding areas, remote

When I can start: ASAP

Requirements: Full time, WFH, benefits, etc all negotiable. Can consider contract to hire case by case.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

On a scale of 1 - unlimited vacation policies how bullshit is your unlimited vacation policy? We have one too, I think they're all bullshit.

So why is it a perk when it sounds like it boils down to being an unspoken race to the bottom against your colleagues for who can take the least time off? Every time I've asked someone to ballpark estimate how much time their people actually use with these policies, I receive a dodgy non answer which gives off a red flag impression. Telling me "a reasonable amount" is no better than a canned line like "we have competitive benefits."

air-
Sep 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

It's not a perk in my opinion. If you read my recent posts and think I like the idea of an unlimited vacation policy you should re-read them.

Oh of course I get your perspective and appreciate the way you answer during interviews since I think asking these kinds of questions is important, the candidate is interviewing the company too. I'm just sharing the frustration when an interviewer throws out the pitch all proud of unlimited pto, then stumbles when I call them out to prove it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Looking again.

Job Seeker

My experience: 3.5 years mixed IT experience in: professional services, databases, and technical support. Professional focus mostly on Windows sysadmin work (AD, SQL, IIS) plus general hardware/software troubleshooting/config and some networking.

Most recent positions were implementation roles working with enterprise clients (configuration, troubleshooting, training, jQuery/JavaScript/HTML/CSS, some VB scripting). 4 years of finance experience prior to IT.

What I'm looking for: Similar client facing positions: implementation, consulting, or pre/post-sales engineer in a technical capacity. Also ok with technical business analyst, sysadmin, and support engineer positions. Especially looking to get more hands on with Linux and AWS since I'm currently teaching myself both (and I'm willing to take a support position if needed).

What I'm NOT looking for: Sales/quota driven positions, anything in a call center environment

Where I'm looking: Austin, TX. Open to relocation.

When I can start: ASAP/negotiable

Requirements: Full time, competitive salary/benefits/PTO/remote etc all negotiable. Can consider contract case by case.

air- fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 18, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Still trying to bounce back after getting laid off, so I should bump this up :sigh:

Job Seeker

My experience: 3.5 years total in pre/post sales implementation, databases, and technical support. Primarily worked in Windows environments (managing/configuring AD, SQL Server, IIS) plus general troubleshooting/config of desktops, laptops, and low level networking/VPN issues.

Most recent positions were implementation roles working with enterprise clients (configuration, troubleshooting, training, jQuery/JavaScript/HTML/CSS, some VBscript). C++ was the first programming language I learned and I'm not averse to scripting/light programming.

What I'm looking for: Similar client facing positions like consulting, or pre/post-sales implementation more in a technical capacity. Also ok with technical business analyst, sysadmin, and support engineer positions. Very much looking to get more hands on with Linux and AWS since I'm currently teaching myself both (especially looking to get certs for AWS). Willing to take a tier 1/support/MSP position to get that experience.

What I'm NOT looking for: Sales/quota driven positions, call center environment

Where I'm looking: Austin, TX. Open to relocation.

When I can start: ASAP/negotiable

Requirements: Full time, competitive salary and benefits (PTO/remote etc) all negotiable. Can consider contract case by case.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

That's right up my alley and if you can do remote, I'll apply in a heartbeat.

And of course depending on the salary/benefits, I'd totally consider NYC...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Whoa thanks for sharing. My background/skillset and desired future opportunities are a near perfect match with all that, but the location is a dealbreaker :(

air-
Sep 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

I've spent a lot of time in the area so believe me when I say the following: there's no appreciable distinction between North Jersey and New York.

More importantly, 100k for a cloud engineer in lower Manhattan feels... low.

Yep, find that pretty odd seeing NYC postings that pay around 100-120 for cloud infrastructure/architects and some of those are even looking for senior people, meanwhile in Austin going rate is around 160-175

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Comradephate posted:

A CS new grad with non-zero systems skills and cloud knowledge (a rare being, to be fair) would not struggle to get 150k for their first big kid job out of college in manhattan. 100-110 for an experienced candidate is low unless they are okay with zero coding skills, maybe?

I'm just going off some posts I've seen on r/devopsjobs or r/sysadminjobs - there's a few positions coming from this same set of recruiters and they are obviously the same positions posted repeatedly over the last few months.

And yep, the pattern is clear that they are paying too low.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Job opening:

E: Heard back from my team that the interview process went real fast and position's been filled! Will post more openings in the future

air- fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 20, 2019

air-
Sep 24, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Quoting this both because it's still open, and because I was told the salary ranges from $80k - $100k based on experience and fit. Here are some clarifying notes about the job posting from my boss:

Basically, if you're not sure about this, let me know how serious you are about applying, and I can work out some Q&A time with Boss Dude. Also if you have any sort of scrum/Agile background you've got a leg up on the competition.

The salary range sounds good and this matches my background. SRE/cloud infrastructure positions are where I'm looking next, but... my first impression reading that opening was sysadmin, except with a devops title and that had me apprehensive on the direction for this role.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

the Infrastructure team is seeking a Cloud Engineer and an Infrastructure Engineer I.

All IT-specific openings are for remote work, but the other listed positions may require some local presence (once offices reopen, anyway). That said, I'm told that you can very likely negotiate fully remote work if your resume otherwise suits the position. If you have any questions about any of these roles, I can do some poking around on your behalf.

Salary range on the cloud engineer opening? That's closer in line with what I'm looking for!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Hello!

I get to hire another minion into my team!! :dance:

The job posting isn't up yet, but here's a brief rundown:

• Someone with an interest in basic-rear end IT support; maybe you're just starting your technical career?
  • Service or communication-with-customers experience preferred but not required
  • Degree not required, but certifications or proven interest in technical work is a plus (like if you can at least tell me about why you like to touch computers, cool)
  • Some basic bitch familiarity with Windows OS, MacOS, Active Directory, Office 365, and Azure is again a plus but not required
  • Willingness to learn on the job
  • This job can be remote, if you're good at keeping in touch (office based in Pittsburgh with employees all over the country)
  • Would prefer you to be an independent worker willing to challenge themselves (but again, this is baby's first IT job, needing help and asking for it is 100% expected)
  • Salary caps at 45k, if this is really your first IT job you'd probably start closer to 40
  • Team right now is myself, a guy from Florida, another goon from Pittsburgh, and YOU?!?!

PM me or email me with questions. Emails probably preferred right now so I can properly document poo poo. You can reach out to k d e v i t a (at) nethealth.com with your questions.

Passed this on to one of my friends who needs a job, having him shoot you an email

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Jeoh posted:

We (Mendix) are looking for a Cloud Operations Engineer in Boston.

What does Mendix do?
We're a low-code company. We write code so our customers don't have to.

What are you gonna do?
Solving operational issues for our customers, by both investigating technically and liaising between Mendix Support (1st line) and other development teams in R&D. You'll spend approximately 50% of your time doing this.
Writing software to automate the operations of our platform, and enable our customers to perform more operations themselves. This will take up the other 50% of your time.
Providing out of hours support for critical customer issues on an on-call basis.

What are we looking for?
As a person:
Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Explaining complex technical issues and reducing them to a form that less technical customers & colleagues can understand is an important part of the job.
A passion for investigating complex issues and finding out the solution in a platform with many distributed applications.

As an engineer:
Experience as a system administrator with a DevOps mindset or very strong 3rd line technical support.
Programming skills, ideally in Python, but similar languages are fine too. You're comfortable writing a Python script to automate complex tasks to reduce manual effort.
A deep understanding of Cloud architecture/deployment and infrastructure services like web servers, load balancing, SSL/TLS/X509 etc.
Strong experience with Linux/Unix systems.

What's nice to have?
Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC), such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, etc.
Proven experience (2+ years) administering, developing against, or architecting on a cloud platform. AWS is the platform we use, but experience on GCP/Azure is fine too.
Experience with logging & monitoring tools like- Grafana, Kibana, Datadog, Prometheus, etc.

How do I get in?
You could Google most of the stuff and apply directly, or you could send me a PM. You'd be working directly with me.

What's the salary range? Remote ok?

This is a perfect match for me and what you've outlined covers a lot of things I would want in a cloud ops/infrastructure position.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Nulldevice posted:

Looking to fill several positions at my company. We are in Northern Virginia right off of the Dulles Toll Road in Reston. It's a great company to work for and I've personally found it to be one of the best in my career. Pay is pretty good too, not gonna lie.

Positions open:

Senior Network Engineer
Junior to Mid Level Network Engineer
Two Mid Level Linux Engineers
Two NOC Support Engineers

Clearances helpful but not required.

If interested, send me your resume at jason at teletran-one dot net and I will get it in front of the right people.

Thanks!

Remote ok for these?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ilkhan posted:

But you still need to be local to the area, is what he is asking.
Id be asking the same, as those sound interesting.

Right! Not looking to relocate to that area and would be up for talking more for fully remote positions - imo every job ad nowadays should also be up front with remote options and it's the first question I ask

air- fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 28, 2021

air-
Sep 24, 2007

At that salary I'd be down to move to London :drat: would they do visa sponsorship?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I'd apply if it was full remote. No interest in Seattle after the BS last summer. Would could do CDA/Spokane...

:same: only willing to go for full remote positions considering how the job market is so hot right now

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Why do we have two tech job boards :psyduck:

I think the COC thread sounded more focused on dev/engineering/programming

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

To reiterate, you're asking if no professional terraform experience + no AWS/Azure/GCP experience is having an impact on your market value in devops salary negotiation?

Gonna add how countless people have done the cloud resume thing to show off at interviews (or showed off some other cloud project outside of professional work experience)

Caveat is how it does take a little luck in terms of right place/time to get in front of a hiring manager or referral etc who is willing to bring on someone who has a lot of drive and self study aptitude

air-
Sep 24, 2007

My experience: 7+ years experience in AWS, generalist devops/automation etc, overall 10+ years experience working in IT
What I'm looking for: IC level role as a devops/cloud infrastructure/platform engineer, SRE, or similar - prefer to stay hands on
What I'm NOT looking for: lead/management, ideally no oncall rotation
Where I live: NYC
When I can I start: asap
Requirements: 100% remote, full time with benefits etc, may consider hybrid for something exceptional
Can be reached: PM

air-
Sep 24, 2007

A few that stand out: full stack web, software engineering/development/coding specifically python, cyber security, cloud with AWS (make sure these go beyond cloud practitioner), data engineering

A bootcamp for digital marketing is likely a waste of time

e: the idea here is to pick out a course applicable to many industries

air- fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 24, 2023

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Took a break for the holidays and spending time back on the hunt:

My experience: 7+ years experience in AWS/cloud automation, containers, CI/CD (doing Jenkins to Gitlab migrations lately) and various devops toolchain etc, overall 10+ years experience working in IT
What I'm looking for: IC level role as a devops/cloud infrastructure/platform engineer, SRE, or similar - I want to stay hands on
What I'm NOT looking for: lead/management, no oncall rotation would be ideal
Requirements: 100% remote, full time with benefits, might consider hybrid for something exceptional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Took a break through the holidays and getting back into it:

Gonna note, I also just passed the CKA/Certified Kubernetes Administrator

My experience: 7+ years experience in AWS and generalist devops/cloud automation, containers, CICD, Linux/Windows admin - overall 10+ years experience working in IT
What I'm looking for: IC level role as a devops/cloud infrastructure/platform engineer, SRE, or similar titles - preference is to stay hands on
What I'm NOT looking for: lead/management, ideally no oncall rotation
Requirements: 100% remote, full time with benefits etc, could consider hybrid for something exceptional