Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cizzo posted:

I actually find that obvious jokes aside, the goons that post in this sub-forum are pretty knowledgeable and show no mercy when it comes to making GBS threads on other people.

I dig it.

Agree. I've been far impressed at the level of knowledge by the majority of posters in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

sanchez posted:

Voted most middle of nowhere post in this thread, I think it even beats Alaska.

Seconded. I'm not looking for a job currently, but keep an eye on this thread. When that got posted, I had to google it, then I slowly zoomed out repeatedly. I saw Helena, but still had to keep zooming out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

EvilJoven posted:

This right here is why IT workers need to stand up for themselves and start demanding better wages. Society as a whole has accepted the fact we rely extensively on desktop PCs to make our daily lives function yet in the past decade, being a desktop repair tech has gone from being at least a decent working class living to poverty level wages.

I believe the proper job title is Computer Janitor.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

skipdogg posted:

indeed.com, dice.com and simplyhired.com are your friends for tech jobs.

In the past I primarily have used Dice, will bookmark those other two for the hunt for my dream job.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

brc64 posted:

contract...

I don't know what your pay was before they let you go, but at that rate, I would take the contracting job and just eat the taxes/insurance issues. That means you have a solid 3 months that isn't a gap on your resume, and possibility for something full time.

Do they mention any moving of user's workstations in the job description?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DNova posted:

what.

His map is turned 1/4 counter clockwise

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'll ask here too, didn't get much of a reply in BFC:

I would call. Let them know you are interested bla bla bla.

Showing interest isn't a bad thing. Just don't harass them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

drat this sounds like something I would love, but the drat the location.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

rscott posted:

You could live in Wichita with me! :3:

First order of action would be to strangle your "IT Guy" roommate with Cat6.

toplitzin posted:

I picked up everything and moved here from Orlando, FL for this job, it's pretty worth it if you have the ability to move.

I am in a position where I could, but am trying to hold out for 6 more months or so (riding a good job title and going to finish up some awesome projects), then start seriously looking in the Colorado area.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

toplitzin posted:

Like what, building your own handcart/pc trolley?

:(

We just got approved for and signed up for a colo, so I am putting together all the poo poo out there for a few ESXi servers and some shared storage, along with all the networking + VPN back to the main office for replication. Also just starting a VDI project, that looks like I will finally be able to get two new servers with VMware View running.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I've never seen anyone that accepted a counteroffer last more than a few months.

Wow. Just laid off for bs reasons to be replaced for cheaper?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I was just about to inquire about that. That seems idiotic.

Oh my internet has been out for hours? Thanks for fixing it, now please add HBO onto my monthly bill.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

Where's the gun rack go again?

In the rear Window of your pickup.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Comradephate posted:

Alienware? Really?

Yeah, not sure how that is a perk.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I don't know about the market in Canada, but you should be fine.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i'm graduating and i turned down internship offers to pursue full-time positions that i was waiting to hear back from... thinking i might not get them, did i gently caress up

Internships should be done over the summer while you are still in school. Once you graduate, you should be shooting for a full time job.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Do you get a nifty little plane as a signing bonus?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FileNotFound posted:

What's the downside again if you can actually get a job here? Cause it's not the pay.....

People without a degree like to complain.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LionYeti posted:

What I'm looking for: senior desktop support jr system admin

What I'm NOT looking for: contract to hire unless there are in writing terms for conversion. Msp unless it’s project based

Experience: ~10 years general troubleshooting 6 years of desktop support, done Intune, mdm, support up to the C level, Mac and windows, slack administrator, google workspace and azure ad/entra

Where I'm located: Colorado

Requirements:On Site/Hybrid Denver Metro Area or Remote travel okay.

Can be reached by: PMs preferred

Rat farts.

If you were up i70 some I could pitch you a position or two.

You don't happen to already have a place (or access to) up in Summit, do ya? Housing market has murdered most folks chances to relocate here.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ilkhan posted:

Post what ya got. I'm trying to relocate to CO, location anywhere from Foco down to CO springs but could go west some easily. Same general experience and wants.

I'll PM you links/details, don't want to drop a url on here.

It's local government, they ideally want people near the Summit county area. Two positions open, help desk and network admin. Pay is fine, benefits great.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Yeah you got it, I'm with the Catholic side although I think most of the IT jobs are Denver metro/remote. I'm currently covering four hospitals but my position is some weird amalgamation of IT and biomed.

St. Anthony's in Frisco?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ilkhan posted:

Post what ya got. I'm trying to relocate to CO, location anywhere from Foco down to CO springs but could go west some easily. Same general experience and wants.

PM sent

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

DMed as well, I'm already in the high country (but I can pass a drug test).

No drug testin' here. Party your heart out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Also find any decent recruiter. They will at least bring you jobs somewhat relative to your background/experience, and most likely get interviews.

Tossing applications to jobs posted on Indeed/LinkedIn/whatever almost seems pointless when they are getting 100+ applicants (I have to assume mostly non relevant/qualified) within a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Are you guys throwing resumes at jobs on Indeed or LinkedIn?

The sheer number of jobs applied for seems insanely high. I've recently been browsing around in Indeed, for what I'm looking for, I'll only see a maybe 3-5 jobs a week that I'm even mildly interested in (or is more that 50% in my bread and butter column for skillset).

Edit: also possibility that my skillset is undesired.