Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Who we are?
Small IT Firm, IBM Partner, Managed Services - Desktop Support, Networking, SANs, Virtualization, AS/400s.

Where are we?
Upper-Midwest, this position would be based out of Sioux Falls, Omaha or Kansas City.

The Positions
Storage Engineer. Specialization or experience in IBM XIV, V7000, etc

The Pay
Lucrative

Contact
Private Message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Deleted.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 11, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

40k in NJ is a tough-sell granted it's laid back helpdesk but you'd make the same in the Midwest without East Coast rent.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MJP posted:

Mid to high 40s is doable.

Sure, that may be true but why bother when you can get one that pays 25% more in the same area?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A TAM's will have the 100-200 level Knowledge but should also know where to go next for technical resources when he's expended.

Sounds like you need a new TAM :downs:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Linkedin and Indeed are good ideas.

This with Craigslist and going to actual career pages of companies you think are cool.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

70k for Office 365 migrations?

Goddamn, how many users are we talking about?

Anyway, if wasn't already employed I'd definitely apply. My contract still has another year.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

So it's yet another "Learn Powershell, get paid fat stacks" things?

On second thought, I'm betting "Hybrid Exchange" is something desired and in which case that's some serious heavy lifting.

Or I really undercut myself at my last position. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

AutoArgus posted:

Certainly a good market to stay busy in but Microsoft is changing the way they contribute to the professional services vouchers side of the mix, so theres some flux in the market. If you can learn it though its absolutely :10bux: :pcgaming: :10bux:

There are absolutely some places that are willing to pay up there without the hybrid piece too though, just need to be able to speak to the full suite (SfB Online, Sharepoint, etc) more at that rate.

What do you mean by the way Microsoft is changing services? Are they bringing more of the consulting piece in-house?

I'm able to do basic O365 but I'm becoming well-versed in the whole ADFS/AzureAD/Dirsync bits but I've got at least a year left on my current contract.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If you have your RHCSA I'd just apply. Certifications can be a little flaky but Red Hat ones are very well done.

If anything, Rackspace might be interested. I don't work there but maybe some of RS goons could chime in.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

air- posted:

How do you answer when a recruiter/HR drone brings up salary in the first call, like in an initial screening before even having an interview? =

Tell them, "That's something I privately negotiated with my employer and not only that I can't really throw out a number without seeing what the additional benefits are with the position."

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'd be interested in the Azure stuff, but I suppose I'd have to at the very least re-locate to those locations?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 17, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the pay range? Does it matter if I was previously a v- in the past?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Starts at 33 an hour, 7 days vacation plus holidays, doesn't matter if you were a v- you will be again. It's an exempt from the 18 month rule,contract position.

Interesting, I'm currently employed until October but I'll refer a few buddies and keep it mind down the road.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

AutoArgus posted:

Just pure curiosity, is this the fasttrack onboarding crew? I've always been curious what the makeup/treatment of those guys is like.

What is the Fast Track / On-boarding Crew?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hopefully it's not too off-topic but did you leave poker? Do you still play as a side-gig or for fun?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

HKS posted:

Yes I left completely. I still keep in touch with the people but I haven't played. I still like the game I just don't like to do things unless I can do them fully.

For fun sure, I'd definitely play office/home games if the opportunity comes.

And yea I knew the work history would kind of be a thing to tackle, I don't mind the questions and it helps me find a way to make it work because I believe I spent those years fruitfully.

I know I'm taking a chance here, so yes talk to me and take your chance!

I'll shoot,

1. Why leave?
2. Will the boom ever come back?
3. Is it even worthwhile to play poker full-time or as a side gig?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

HKS posted:

1. I left because I was done being competitive. I cultivated a sort of cold-bloodedness required and didn't like myself. I wanted to feel again.

2. The boom will likely come back. I think it's starting to on twitch, and generally things being live streamed. Online poker being easy and legal to use will help a lot.

3. The way I see it you have 3 options to play full time and do well right now as an American:

a. be willing to travel all year and play tournaments.
b. play midstakes online at some gray area sites or in legal states, but you have to be pretty good.
c. play live cash games, but this is a tough freaking life.

side job? yea just be good and win at your local card room, every hour you spend there theoretically makes you money.

Follow-up,

1. What exactly did you cultivate or didn't like?
2. Why did you include "theoretically" with describing poker as a side-job? Is this an unrealistic expectation?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

kloa posted:

They were willing to pay top-dollar though.

What was the range?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Curious, why are you targeting CompSci degrees?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Job Seeker

Education - Self-taught. Some college with a degree in political science but did not graduate.

Experience - Presently a generic Azure IaaS and Azure AD Consult but overall I've been in IT for over a decade from basic help desk, managing hundreds of VMs or prickly internal applications.

I'm also able to do things the come along it such as basic to intermediate experience with Windows Server (AD, ADFS, Hyper-V etc.) VMware and HP/IBM/Lenovo Hardware. I can even push it a little further with some AS/400 or IBMi Administration, Linux and SharePoint.

And basic bash, batch and Powershell Scripting.

What I'm not looking for - Any position where I have to "look" busy or Helldesk. Would prefer to perform work in production environments and not just sell or demo products.

Where I'm looking - LA, San Fran, Portland, Minneapolis, San Antonio, New Jersey or basically big metro areas with things to do.

When can I start - After August. I enjoy my current position but I'm testing the waters for the future.

Requirements - Market rate with good benefits specifically health insurance. Open to travel.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 25, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That doesn't sound like a TAM?

I've always viewed it as the "liaison" between the company and the customer. They have soft goals for revenue generation but really manage the relationship.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is this one of those roles where need knowledgeable that's "an inch deep and a mile long?".

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mid $40k in NYC?

You can make more than that as an Apple Tech doing hardware repair.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Curious, what should I expect out of the Amazon Onsite interview?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Expect four individual hour-long interviews with four groups of different people. Probably they'll be about leadership, one about executive function, and then 2 on your core competency.

What's the best way to prep and primarily on the first two.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

StabbinHobo posted:

I used to come down on the "degree reqs are good" side of this argument, like a decade ago, and I think my overall logic is still very sound (college is/was supposed to be about way more than job skills training).

However, I think the student loan debt system at this point is flagrantly predatory and I cannot in good conscience support it anymore. You're essentially requiring entry level employees be the modern equivalent of an indentured servant.

I don’t have a degree but I’ll say that I absolutely wished I had my bachelors and not just to pass the generic HR checkbox but proof of higher education that I know at a minimum at least this much and accomplished something over an extended period of time.

That said, if I ran my own company I would prefer those with degrees however you can’t apply that to every position. IT work is somewhat of a trade and experience counts for something especially if you’ve been in the profession for years and I’ve been doing IT work for over a decade. I’m at FTE at one of the largest tech firms and regularly do consulting at customers that wouldn’t even look at my resume since I never graduated.

It’s certainly odd but I think the world is changing and the tradition higher education institutions aren’t keeping up. The availability of online colleges, courses, etc. aren’t all completely fluff experiences. These F500s that have their logos plastered all over MMOCs isn’t because it’s cool.

I guess what I’m trying to say is college is still important, valuable, etc. but it’s no longer the - only - thing. Last but not least a college degree even with today’s cost is still the #1 thing you can that will statistically speaking keep you above the poverty line.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

HR requiring degrees for hiring is super common throughout the industry I'm not understanding why some people are freaking out about it. Have some of you genuinely never come across this before?

Inside tech itself - Microsoft, Google, IBM, Oracle, Cisco, etc. and their partners, VARs, MSPs. It’s not as stringent and while uncommon not impossible.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Goddamn that sounds really fun. If hadn’t left my Linux chops behind and jumped on the Azure bandwagon I’d immediately apply.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Indeed is pretty well liked at the moment.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How difficult is it to work in Canada as a US Citizen who's been doing IT for over a decade, does quite well but doesn't hold a degree? Toronto seems like a great city but drat that rent is expensive.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

KillHour posted:

That's why I live in Buffalo :v:

To answer your question, it can be pretty hard. You need to find a company willing to certify that they couldn't find a Canadian qualified for the job.

I'm trying to hunt down someone who's done it, everything online just wild variance. On the other hand, I've been to Buffalo. It doesn't seem like that bad of a place to live and visiting Toronto would be pretty easy I'd imagine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

Quoting this both because it's still open, and because I was told the salary ranges from $80k - $100k based on experience and fit. Here are some clarifying notes about the job posting from my boss:

Basically, if you're not sure about this, let me know how serious you are about applying, and I can work out some Q&A time with Boss Dude. Also if you have any sort of scrum/Agile background you've got a leg up on the competition.

My company is now also seeking another DBA. Despite being based in Alpharetta, the position can be fully remote.

https://recruiting.ultipro.com/NET1...32-fddb52bc0f5d

That description sounds much better and I would specify which cloud specifically. Your applicants are going to want to know if it's Azure or AWS.

I know most of these things but nothing about IIS. And I'm on the West Coast. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MF_James posted:

Job Posting

Who we are Sharp Business Systems (formerly ZLAN Partners, bought by Sharp around 2 years ago to bolster and improve their MSP business). We are an MSP primarily dealing with Windows, some networking and then random other things that clients will pay for.

This is freaking awesome description, position and pay. If I only wanted to move to Chicago I would be absolutely all over this immediately.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

KillHour posted:

I have no input other than to thank you for doing this. I know not all companies let you do this but they really should.

:same:

Also, thanks for not paying people garbage.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Neito posted:

Hacker News is like reddit for VCs and "Rise and Grind" types.

There's definitely that aspect to HN but not at all it's entirety. There's a plenty of good content and occasional gems that don't seem to appear anywhere else.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Edit Wrong Thread!

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 15, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My experience: 10+ Years in IT. Strong background in traditional system administration with Windows Server - Active Directory, ADFS, MIM, Azure AD Connect, Azure AD, Azure AD Premium - CA, MFA, etc. and experience with DevOps. Deploying IaaS/PaaS with Terraform via ADO pipelines. I can write the PowerShell needed to automate all of the above.
What I'm looking for: Looking for challenging identity projects with Azure AD Connect, Forefront Identity Manager or Microsoft Identity Manager. Not opposed to selling, helping sell, leading teams, etc. but I fully expect to have my hands on the mouse and keyboard with Global Admin or there's a Service Principal that's deploying something I just wrote to production.
What I'm NOT looking for: Help Desk. Companies that don't use Azure or Microsoft services. Actual software development. I can't read Assembly or C#.
Where I live: Los Angeles, CA
Where I'm looking: Los Angeles or Remote. Relocation possible depending on project but a strong preference for the West Coast Timezone.
When I can start: May - June.
Requirements: >$135k+ with FTE Benefits.
Can be reached via: Private Message.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 17, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

Hi, my org is hiring again:

Feel free to PM me

Message sent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

How much side eye should I be giving Indeed professional headhunters. I got cold contacted by a guy for a job for a client of his that sounds like it'd be exactly up my alley. Full time sysadmin position in a non-profit medical research space, local so I don't have to relocate. I'm just waiting for the other show to drop on the catch of the whole situation.

I sent a couple of initial feeler questions to figure out if it's like a contract gig or direct hire. Anything else I should be asking prior to initial interview?

LinkedIn is great for recruiters. They're constantly doing keyword searches along with geography and time in X position to sell you to picky clients. The thing is they move fast and are a dime a dozen. A good recruiter will coach you and ramp you up a bit before an interview.