Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I'm getting ready to start a worm bin. I bought and drilled the bins, got the bedding set up, ordered the worms and am gathering the first load of kitchen scraps for when they arrive. :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The :can: arrived and through some apparently very involved wrangling they were shuffled into the bin. They immediately started trying to leave. This morning I woke up to about 20 worms all over the kitchen floor. They have sufficient food and moisture in there, and the bedding is fluffed up and well ventilated. For now I am shining a clamp light down over the open bin to suppress their adventurous tendencies, but I am concern. :ohdear:

A few web sites (and the Uncle Jim's Worm Farm instructions) say that they will be restless for the first 48 hours or so, I hope that they will settle in soon because I don't want to be sweeping up their dumbass dried up husks all over the floor every morning.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The bin has a lid, but it also has many air holes because otherwise they would suffocate. They are mostly just curious, it seems. They're not all trying to get out anymore, but we'll see what happens when the sun goes down...

Edit: WORM UPDATE :siren:
After shining a light in the bin for a day, they made it through the night with the lid on and everyone seems comfortable now. :3:

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 28, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I'm trying to find a definitive guide to container gardening vegetables in New-England-type climate (zone 3). I've found too many click bait sites and too many sites that assume you're living in SoCal. I have some indoor space for seed starting and overwintering, but I can't find a good resource. Any recommendations?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Cool, that's extremely helpful!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sprouts are also a nice easy option, and you can get some really good spicy ones with radish or mustard seeds.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Planet X posted:

Anyone do worm farming? Considering it, as I want the fertilizer for my garden.

I just started a month ago and it's great so far. We live in an apartment so it's the easiest way to compost indoors. They are fat and happy on all our vegetable scraps and coffee grounds :can:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Do not grow more than 1 zucchini plant.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

IIRC amaranth is pretty weedy. Arugula can spread surprisingly far if it goes to seed.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Suspect Bucket posted:

CANADIAN GEESE ATE ALL MY CORN STARTS loving gently caress

kill them all :black101:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Here are my tomato starts:

Do they look OK so far? They're going to go 2 to a bucket eventually.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Got 4 of my tomato plants into their buckets:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

PokeJoe posted:

How does that watering thing work

Planzzzzzzzz:

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 4, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

ROFLburger posted:

I'm growing tomatoes and a bunch of herbs on my apartment balcony. Are birds eating my veggies pretty much guaranteed to be a problem? Should I start setting up a chickenwire enclosure now?

If they're young tomato plants, YES, COVER THEM NOW. I just had two of my plants completely pecked off to stubs by stupid motherfucking sparrows trying to find nesting material. :argh:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:stonk:

Brings to mind the horrible plowed snow mountain in Boston last year? Or maybe it was the year before. Didn't finish melting until August.
TRIGGERED
:patssay:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Started a hugel mound today.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

They say if you live in a cool climate that you should plant your garlic in autumn and let it sit in the ground over the winter, so maybe it’s coming up now?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

If you have buckets with reservoir sections in the bottom, you could run a long PVC behind them with tubes running into each reservoir.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

goodness posted:

The picture is a bit deceiving. It would only have standing water in it for an hour or two while the pots soaked, most of the time would be dry.

I was thinking something like this:

With PVC pipe and pipe fittings, spouts hooked up to holes drilled in the bottom part of the bucket (like the homebrewing buckets with taps in them)

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Worms are great. Get red wigglers. Don’t get them from Uncle Jerry’s necessarily, when I ordered some they went nuts on arrival and started to make a break for it. It turned out a lot of them were a different species that doesn’t like being moved around.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Rad toad. We've got a disused pool in the backyard and don't want to pay to have it fixed, so right now it has several hundred tadpoles in it.

Can't wait to be a froglord

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

For the love of your neighbors (and yourself) PLEASE tell me you put some mosquito poison in there?

Not sure if tadpoles eat mosquito larvae, but if they do, probably not enough.

Yeah, I'm using dunks and they're effective so far :shrug: There are also tons of water striders, damselflies, dragonflies, backswimmers, boatmen, diving beetles, and other friends. Oh and a duck who visits once per day to take a bath. :3:

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 23, 2020

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

gently caress GRASS

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

You can pick them way earlier and they will ripen off the plant FYI

I pick mine when they’re just barely staring to change color and they ripen great.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Walnut trees, for instance, produces juglone that inhibits the growth of competing plants around the walnut’s dripline. It also makes horses sick.

juggalone, got it

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Gothmog1065 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on melon slings? I've seen a bunch on amazon and the like, just don't know if there is a better brand/way to get them. I was looking at something like this, saw the smaller vinyl net types, didn't know if there was a general recommendation.

Old t-shirt

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

IMO don't bother, worms et al. will keep it aerated fine as long as there is good layering.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We also tried Ruth Stout's method of composting in place in the garden rows (using a mixture of weeded plants, straw, and table scraps as mulch) but I don't remember it working well.
I do this and it works great

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Mikey Purp posted:

What's eating my zucchini plant? We don't really get rabbits or deer around here, could it be squirrels, or even my dog?

Last year groundhogs ate EVERYTHING in one of my beds. :argh:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Don’t dox me

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

Possibly weird question, but do birds typically dig 6" deep holes that tunnel down at an angle?

Something has been digging in and around my garden lately, making 3-4 holes per day. The holes are 1-2" in diameter and go down at an angle like something a burrowing animal would make, but they're never more than 4-6" deep and don't lead into any kind of tunnel. Whatever's doing the digging clearly isn't interested in the plants since the only damage they've caused is incidental, but I'd still like to know what's doing it.

The garden area is locked up like fort knox so if something was getting over or under the fence I'd expect to find at least some evidence aside from random holes. At the same time, I've never seen bird damage like this before. Usually the birds around here leave pretty messy craters when they go digging, not these weird little dead-end tunnels.
Could be a skunk, they snoot into the ground to eat beetle larvae.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I have a bunch of Ailanthus trees thicketing in my yard and they’re encroaching close to one raised bed. I haven’t cut them because I understand this will make the problem worse.

All the resources I see online say the only way to control/eliminate them is with concentrated glyphosate or triclopyr applied to the bark or through “hack & squirt.” But I’m kind of freaked out of introducing that stuff anywhere near my happy organic yard where bees sing and frogs play old-time baseball.

What do

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hack and squirt is pretty much the most precise, targeted way you can apply an herbicide. It won't kill any bees or flowers or anything-it's only going to kill the trees. There's no runoff or overspray if you're careful, and it ensures that only the target trees are getting the herbicide. I use a spray bottle and put undiluted 41% glyphosate in it and give each wound a squirt or two. At least 1 'hack' per inch of diameter of the tree is the usual rule I think. If you want to really get anal about reducing the possibility of overspray, you can cut the trees down and brush glyphosate on the stumps, but it's very important to apply it ASAP-like within a minute-for best effect. That goes for hack and squirt too technically, but usually you squirt as you hack.

Glyphosate is really very safe-read all the directions on the label, wear all the appropriate PPE. You won't get cancer (from it).
Thank you! FWIW I’m not worried about my personal health, just the responsible stewardship of the land and its critters.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Free pseudocereals

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Plenty of folks grow plenty of tomatos in 5 gallon buckets. You might need to water them a little more frequently than you would plants in the ground, but if you’re in a colder climate the soil in a bucket will warm up faster and might extend your growing season.
I've had huge tomato yields with 5-gallon buckets, specifically the double-bucket design where the lower bucket has a water reservoir and a "wick" to the upper bucket, with PVC pipe sticking out the top to refill every few days: https://www.popsci.com/build-diy-road-ready-garden/

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Just don't do that if you live somewhere where they're incredibly invasive. Or maybe it's too late to care about that.
Check your state's prohibited plant list w/r/t blackberry species.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

When I did mine cut a hole in the inner bucket into which I put a plastic takeout container with a bunch of holes poked in it. The container was filled with potting mix. The wick container was suspended 3-4 inches into the reservoir.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Get them a weeding knife.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Ask me about mowing my lawn with a scythe :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Reporting from the trenches in the war against the Tree of Heaven in my yard:

Last fall there were 3 trees of about 1.5-2 inches diameter each, growing from a single root system spread over about 25 feet. I treated the lower bark of each one with triclopyr last fall and waited 30-60 days, then felled them. Unfortunately, I don't think the triclopyr was strong enough and now each stump has aggressively sprouted. There are also small seedlings in my raised bed, but I don't think they're from shoots (I'm PRAYING that the thing doesn't take over one of my raised beds). I am being vigilant about pulling the seedlings daily.

My question is, should I do foliar application of triclopyr on the stump sprouts? If so, should I wait until late summer for root uptake? The stumps are very small and the sprouts are green and haven't formed any bark, so there's no real hack-and-squirt potential there.

It really sucks because this thing is deeply intertwined with a bunch of good plants and I don't want to kill them all with triclopyr. Like shoots coming up in between branches of a plum tree, in between irises, in between rose of sharon, right beside my tomato plants...