Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

What? How do they get up there?

I don't know and it frightens me sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

puffin posted:

Tied-up apple tree. All of our apple trees are about to flower, the cherries are in full bloom and the apricots have suffered badly from a cold night a few weeks back so we won't have many.

Umm, why are you training your apple tree to that shape? Apple trees are normally trained to a central leader shape.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Alterian posted:

We're going to try growing corn this year for the first time. My mom was warning me that its hard to grow corn. Any tips? We're just growing it in our backyard. Its not like we're trying to grow a whole field of it.

She kept telling me I needed to grow a lot to make sure they're fertilized well. I was really confused and was asking her if I should mix a lot of compost in with the soil or if I should water them with fertilizer often. Until I realized she meant pollinate and not fertilize. It didn't help that right before I was telling her about growing corn she was asking me when I plan on giving her grand kids.

That's the hard part: corn isn't insect-pollinated, it's wind-pollinated. That's why you need to have a plot of around 10x10 feet for the wind to knock them up naturally. However, you can help nature along in this case. Once the male heads on top start making pollen, you can cut the male mops off the top of your few best plants and go around and shake them onto the female mops.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Tomatoes

You put tomatoes in clay pots? You will need to water those things every drat day.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
FYI squirrels can bite through metal mesh if they're determined enough.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ridonkulous posted:

Catch one alive and hang it on the porch as a message to the other squirrels.

it worked for pirates.

Squirrels are determined little fuckers and do not register their fallen brethren as warning signs. My dad and I shot at least 75 of them 2 years ago trying to keep them out of our 6 pecan trees. I'm certain of that number since we kept a tally sheet and that's where we lost count. We would watch from the house and they don't even stop as they forage on the ground or they just jump right over the bodies en route to the trees.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 18, 2010

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Also, squirrels will enter structures. They can be a nightmare to get rid of if they get in your attic.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

You can cut it at the base. It will grow suckers though.

Fixed.

Dig up as much as you can, healthy trees will only try to recover from any wound, so you have to remove the entire trunk. What's worse is that with modern tree grafting, if you changed your mind and decided to let it regrow, the fruit wouldn't be the same because the rootstock is from a different cultivar!

Loppers are also useful for removing smaller roots.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Papercut posted:

Is there anything edible I can plant in shadier parts of my yard? Like under a lemon tree?

Where do you live that you can grow a lemon tree in the ground? Not too much fruit grows in shade... Asparagus or rhubarb would do pretty good. Strawberries can do okay in shade, but they produce better in the sun. You could also look into wintergreen, a.k.a. teaberry. Check the zones on that one; with a name like wintergreen in a zone with in-ground lemon trees, you might be poo poo outta luck.

If you're brave, you could plant something noxiously invasive like mint. That poo poo grows anywhere. On second thought, don't do it.

edit: if you're somewhere warm enough for citrus, maybe you could grow taro?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 11, 2010

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You're doing good if your bullshit detector goes off reading fruit catalogs. First off, nearly all blackberries don't produce on this year's stalks. Stalks grow one year, overwinter, produce the next year, then that stalk dies. First year productive blackberries are a relatively new development. The only problem is that all the ones I've heard of still have thorns.

That being said, I'd check out what they had to say over at Gardenweb.com about Doyle blackberries.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

A flying piece of posted:

So the garden plan itself changed a bit over the last few weeks. As an update, here is the current and permanent plan (since everything is either seeded, sprouted or transplanted in now):

You might want to rethink the strawberries if you want to stay very organized. They're perennial and self-spread by stolons, so they won't stay in one spot in your box next year.

As for the nutrient talk, one thing people don't remember is pH. Most crop plants like a neutral pH, but there are some oddballs like blueberries that like acidic soil.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 2, 2011

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

A flying piece of posted:

... but I'll be alright if I just cut off the stolons, right?

You will. Better yet, just replant the colony plants over by the old plants.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I'm going to be buying the pots and soil for my first attempt at container gardening tomorrow. I want to make sure I do things right though, so I'm wondering if there's any particular rules or methods I need to follow, and if they differ between vegetables and herbs.

What I'm planning on doing is buying some basic single plant sized pots (is there any real difference between plastic and clay?) and just filling them with potting soil and then sewing seeds according to the package instructions, then letting them grow indoors for a bit till the weather becomes consistently warm before moving them outside. I've read various things that I should also do, like put some gravel in the bottom for drainage, use seed starter on top, add compost, etc. etc., but I'm not sure how important, if at all, those things are. Is there anything I'm forgetting? Any good tips to remember?

You'll need to water more often with container gardening than with plants in the ground. Clay pots dry out faster than plastic ones, they're also heavier. Clay pots are more suited to house plants and cacti/succulents. I wouldn't worry about gravel in the bottom, that's more of a problem for house plants. Seed starter is for starting seedlings in small starter pots then moving them to either larger pots or in the ground outside. If this is your first foray into gardening, you may want to just pick up some starter plants from your local nursery instead of starting from seed. You may want to use "gardening soil" instead of "potting soil", it's a little more suited for veggies. One last thing: pick a sunny spot! Don't put your containers somewhere that's always in the shade.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

cowofwar posted:

Should keep the squirrels out.

hahahahahaha

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Gypsum is good for heavy clay soils that contract severely as they lose water. I'm talking cracks big enough to stick your hand in. Those are bad because they can actually pull apart small roots.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Toxx posted:

So does this mean the US government is endorsing climate change as a reality? That can't be right, 5% of mad scientists disagree with the scientific method.

Money talks and bullshit walks. The crops for all of the growing lobbies depend on this data. That being said, this change is necessary and LONG overdue.

Also, I found this and I'm not sure if I like it or not: Craftsman's take on a hori-hori.

Like all Craftsman garden hand tools, it's guaranteed forever.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 1, 2012

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TheFuglyStik posted:

Hanging CD's, mylar tape, or anything else highly reflective from a tree, post, what have you, scares them away as well. Just make sure it can blow around in the wind.

That only works during the daytime.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

KariOhki posted:

Any tips for keeping critters away, also? Last year we had this happen to the lettuce:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

AxeBreaker posted:

Today, I went and purchased 4 cubic yards of compost thinking that raised beds would be easier than digging up all that clay. However, getting the compost to the backyard from the driveway has been a bitch so far. My lovely plastic-wheeled wheelbarrow doesn't like traveling over the red landscaping rock on the side of the house when heavily loaded, so I either have to bust rear end or make twice as many trips. I've done 3, i was thinking it would take 15 but now it may take 30.

Do the old bricklayer's trick for moving wheelbarrows full of mortar across mud: lay down some boards.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I've never heard of adjusting pH with lemons. I'm gonna lean towards "won't matter" for pH. If you really want to do it right then you need to measure the pH first and adjust with lime or sulfur as appropriate. For a single plant on a whim it's probably not that important.

Agreed. Blueberries like a pH between 4 and 6, so try and get it down to there if possible. You can also buy sulfate compounds to lower pH. They are little faster acting than straight sulfur.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Costello Jello posted:

I like to pH balance with sour gummy worms, since they first acidify the soil, and then amend it for you.

Warheads are where it's at. Let those worms know who's boss. :colbert:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Peristalsis posted:

I started some onions inside this spring, and they're about ready to be put out, I think. Do they need to be hardened off like tomatoes and peppers do?

Onions and other buried crops can overwinter just fine outdoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Wooo proper tomato cages (made out of concrete reinforcing mesh).

That's the way my dad did his tomatoes. They'd be tall enough they'd spill over the top and almost touch the ground again. Tomatoes are like sponges. They love their water.