Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Since no one in the Hajime no Ippo anime thread is making a manga discussion thread, I decided to make one for you! Now everyone in the anime thread can browse it without pages of unmarked manga spoilers!

here is a brief summary blatantly stolen from wikipedia!
Ippo Makunouchi is a very shy high school student who never had the time to make friends because he was always busy helping his mother with the family charter boat fishing business. Because he kept to himself, a group of bullies led by Umezawa got into the habit of picking on him. On one particular day these bullies decided to give him a rather serious beating, but a middle-weight professional boxer who was passing by stopped the bullies and took the injured Ippo to the Kamogawa Gym, owned by retired boxer Genji Kamogawa, to treat his wounds. After Ippo awoke to the sounds of boxers training, the boxer who saved him, Mamoru Takamura, tried to cheer Ippo up by letting him vent his frustrations on a sandbag. It was then that they had their first glimpse into Ippo's talent for boxing. After that incident, Ippo started his regular training and began his path in Japan's professional boxing.

The story focuses heavily on character development, even during the matches something is learned about the fighters. Ippo and his friendly rivalry with Miyata is the main draw in the early part of the series. That later changes to Ippo's path towards the Japanese Featherweight Championship and eventually the world championship. Along the way we are given glimpses into the other side character's pasts, motivations, relationships to others and current boxing trials.

Apparently the manga is well over 800 chapters and has been running for just about 20 years now. It can be found here.

For the record I have never actually read a single page of the manga, and I cant go digging around for any humorous images because I don't want to spoil the anime for myself. Feel free to have the thread closed and make a better OP yourself!

:siren: If you enjoyed the anime and you would like to start reading the manga, chapter 399 is where the anime ends. thanks Guyver!:siren:

Kweh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Soth posted:

Needs more pictures, words and possibly homosexual undertones between Miyata and Ippo.

I'll put them in the OP if you can find some. :allears:

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Hey guys I guess I might update the OP to help out those who watched the show but don't know where to start in the manga. What chapter does the takamura/hawk fight end? I think I would also like to read this but I would rather start where the anime left off.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Honest Thief posted:

that's it, gently caress this manga, off it goes to the pile of every other shounen title who overstayed it's welcome

well 21 years... it had a good run

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Ippo has a huge penis what a weirdo!!!

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
So, seeing as the manga went downhill, are you going to remember ippo for the woli fight or for the better times?

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
It is obviously his stand.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
scottish men in anime wear mini-kilts and thigh-high boots

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Jedah posted:

Well played sir, well played. I hope they can recover from hurricane Ippo.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

tbp posted:

I can truthfully see this as the last move before he goes onto the world, though. Or the OPBF. Or wherever, but I think we're finally done with these tedious fights after this, because isn't this the first title defense since he became the 'unofficial' OPBF champion?

How many times have you said this... (to yourself)

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

frabba posted:

Off topic, but I was watching an old Manny Pacquiao fight and I realized it was in Korakuen Hall. Then I was all :smith: because Japanese burning spirit did not triumph.

No this was actually a good thing because Pac owns.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Ippo's one and only weakness... HE HAS A HGUE DONG!!!

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
You guys do this before every fight.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Guys he is just looking like that because this is the first time he has ever killed a man.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
I have hope, its going to be 12 chapters of a face-off and then ippo punches him so hard he dies with 1 hit

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Ippo has a HUGE D*NG

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

tbp posted:

Ugh this post is almost as unfunny as the recurring joke its lampooning

Look Ippo's huge penis is the only thing keeping this manga up.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
wait guys i wasnt paying attention what happened to ippos opponent?

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

logger posted:

After the last match:

Kamogawa: Ippo you just got punched directly in the face, go and sit in the changing room without anyone to check up on you.

Ippo: Sure thing coach. *falls*

Aoki: You don't look too good. How about I take you out into the halls and leave you to pass out.

Someone should edit the manga with these lines because lol

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Sir Lucius posted:

I predict in the next chapter Ippo will nail Kumi and street fight Miyata.

20 years of plot packed into 1 chapter.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Oh no Takamura is going to kill Kumi before Ippo can kiss her :ohdear:

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Rename this one and redo the op? General punchsport manga thread? I know Zorak prefers less megathreads, but these mangas have pretty slow discussion.

Hey man feel free to make a new thread, I don't actually read many sports manga, I originally :effort: made this so people would stop posting about manga spoilers in the Ippo anime thread.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
There should be, this is the manga discussion thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Mr. Deathy posted:

No one ever did make a thread for the new anime, did they?

If anyone cares, it's up to Episode 11 as of this week. They just started Ippo vs Sawamura.

For those who don't know the name of the show even, it's Hajime no Ippo: Rising. :v:

I want to watch it really bad but I still need to wait for my group of friends who watched the previous seasons with me. No man gets left behind but since we all have conflicting schedules...