Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've always assumed the finale of the manga would be Ippo vs Miyata for the world title after one of them takes it from Ricardo - probably Miyata. Or them being 2 and 3 in the world when he retires or something.

But the manga has surprised me before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It seems unlikely, but after how they've been building him up recently I'd want to see how Itagaki stacks up against Miyata. Battle of the I AM SO FAST TIME IS STANDING STILL kings.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I always knew it was going to end that way. :colbert:

Also I had completely forgotten about Takamura's match. Who's he fighting?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
When did Miyata change weight classes? I don't remember that at all. I thought they always made a big deal about how we was staying in featherweight to fight Ipo at the end of the manga.

Also I liked that the manga also forgot Takamura had a fight next. Even the author was poking fun at the length of that fight. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

The problem I see is if ippo and miyata fight the manga is basically over. I'm guessing the mangaka realized this and decided to not get people's hopes up about it anymore. Miyata changing classes pretty much cements that's it's not gonna happen, sicne It's unlikely he'd be able to drop down again once he gianed the weight, and there's almost nothing ippo could do to raise a weight class except to purposely gain weight, which is unlikely I think.
That's what I meant. Yeah it makes no sense, which is what confused me.

Of course they're going to fight at the end of the manga. This is so blindingly obvious I have no idea what DamnGlitch is talking about.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Xali posted:

takamura will punch the no-name boxer through the floor on top of sakaguchi, breaking the toilet and covering sakaguchi in poo poo.
I had no idea what was going to happen while reading that chapter, but this sounds about right.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I dunno, if it wasn't for the age of the characters and the timespans this manga covered, it would look like most any other shounen where relationships (especially for the main character) are mostly only there to be played for laughs. I wouldn't expect any big developments there any time soon.

I also wouldn't expect Mashiba to ever fight Ippo again. That was probably just to let him show up and hilariously threaten Ippo next chapter for a bit of comic relief.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Isn't Miyata still in Ippo's weight class, and thus not Mashiba's?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I thought they always made a big deal of Miyata staying in Ippo's weight class even though it's too light for him just so he could fight him again on the WORLD STAGE.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Uh-oh, he's been trained in the art of zwee fighting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Haha, at least Woli has Miyata's chin too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Punc posted:

I'm not sure, but I see Ippo actually losing this one. I honestly don't see how he can come back, unless through some crappy execution of the Japanese Spritit, which would suck as hard as losing...
Haha I remember when people seriously thought Miyata was going to lose too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

So it has really been more than 300 chapters since they hinted at a new dempsey roll with no payoff?
God I had completely forgotten. There was both the stop-go dempsey roll he used to beat Sawamura and the crazy super-punch he did while training and neither of those has turned into anything. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Question about the current fight: is grabbing the rope like that even allowed in boxing? :confused:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The Sisfa fight was awesome. The moment when Ippo "saw god" was probably the funniest page in the whole manga.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Does the pace of the story change at all?
Y...yeah. Yeah, it does. Let's just say I hope you enjoy panels of Ippo getting punched in the face.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Does Barfkid ever come back? He was awesome
Yep, he certainly does.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Takamura may be an rear end in a top hat, but he's usually a magnificent one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
What's a simultaneous punch? Punching with both arms at once? That's got to be weak as hell.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Man are your faces gonna be red when it turns out Woli has a genius dick.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh boy it's like I can see the disappointment blossoming in real time. :3:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Wasn't there some spar between Itagaki and Randy Boy Jr. where RBJ was winning? If not Itagaki who was that spar with?
RBJ destroyed Itagaki because he had no idea what his gimmick was and was taken completely by surprise.

In the match he just had Itagaki's bullet-time power suddenly got completely ridiculous.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh, well at least people were wrong about those spoilers. It's Ippo who gets told to trade shots, which actually makes sense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I want it to be like when he hit that "haha I have abs of steel" guy in the body and he thought half his torso was blown off, only for real.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The best part of all this is that even if Ippo wins, the other coach can just be like "well, I wasn't expecting to win anyway. :smug:"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Ippo's hair won't turn gold, his skin will turn brown.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Jedah posted:

881 is out.

http://uploading.com/files/7b24b112/Hajime881.zip/
Mirror - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=737U2S4A

Warning: Don't get your hopes up.
Wow, is it really only eight pages? That seems crazy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I gladly would if someone was scanlating them. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Woli gets tired of this and does something blatently illegal to knock Ippo out, disqualifying himself. He then pulls down his shorts, takes a poo poo on Ippo, and the last page is Morikawa announcing that he's done with this manga.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I like how the last lines make it sound like the real fight is just getting started.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was being sarcastic.

Maybe next round Ippo will lightly tap him twice.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Gravity? That image perfectly encapsulates this fight I think.
That is wonderful.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There's pretty much a poo poo ton of shounen manga where some high-school dude goes from a nobody to a martial arts badass, all of varying realism.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is pretty good, though much less realistic than Ippo is (or was until this fight).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Even Prince of Tennis has those hilarious scenes where they take on roving thugs using tennis.
Oh it gets better than that:

http://www.onemanga.com/New_Prince_of_Tennis/24/08-09/
http://www.onemanga.com/New_Prince_of_Tennis/24/10/

gently caress you eagles!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Jose posted:

Slam Dunk is by the guy who does Vagabond right?
Oh poo poo I just instantly became interested in Slam Dunk.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think it has something to do with how the rules on fouling are actually being enforced, whereas, say, something like Eyeshield 21 was all about dudes finding ridiculous ways to slam each other onto the ground.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I take back anything bad I said about Slam Dunk. The final match is loving amazing, and Inoue knew exactly where to end it. I practically poo poo myself at The left hand is just for holding the ball...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
He's making it so obvious Woli's ankle is going to go bad at a critical moment and Ippo will one-punch him that I hope it's all a fake out and Ippo loses.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Martinez and whoever the heavyweight champ is.

Although odds are the HW champ is going to be black and a horrible stereotype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh come on, it has been incredibly obvious this was going to happen ever since the "you hit my leg with the stool" thing started.