Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I have to agree I'm getting a little tired of Deus ex gimmick lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The only way I could be completely satisfied with this fight anymore is if it ends with Ippo slugging Woli once while he is in mid air resulting in a ring-out and career ending face-plant into a lamp + electrocution somewhere behind the stands. Then the manga can switch genres from boxing to baseball, and Miyata gets to be the ball.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
When History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi has more believable fights, you know the Ippo manga has fallen.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I haven't read a chapter of Ippo since I ragequit at 882 because of Woli... Is it safe to resume reading it again?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Hey, it took two whole chapters for him to clench his fist before, I'd say this chapter is an improvement since he took two whole steps!

trucutru posted:

Then, in the next chapter. Both ninjas will cross their swords in mid air and land facing away from each other, their swords in hand, apparently unharmed, only for one to slowly and dramatically fall to the ground.
And in the chapter after that: The ninja that is still standing will say "Splendid!" right before the fountain of blood erupts from his chest splitting in two.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

But he's not. He's just won't die. He was hit with a PERFECT counter. It looked like his neck snapped, there was even some brain damage. But he just won't die. Why won't he die?!

Exactly, blocking the perfect counter with ones face doesn't make a good boxer. It just means he has a ball of cement for a brain.

If Ippo had been a good boxer, he would have taken advantage of the fact that was obvious to everyone: the guy he was fighting didn't have a prayer of surviving till later rounds because of weight management destroying his stamina. Just draw the fight out carefully for four or five rounds, and the guy would be about as ready to throw a counter as a sack of half rotten potatoes. At which point a stamina monster like Ippo could wail on him like a red headed step child without taking a single jab of return fire. And we would like it because if drawn out to the same length it would be a brutal tear down like Martinez vs Date was (if I'm remembering the names right...).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Golzalez is absolutely correct, Ippo is from the stone age, meaning Ippo's brain is made of granite.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I quit reading not long after the first Woli fight, and this discussion is not making me want to resume any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Hajime no tuned mass damper.