Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Wait, doesn't getting beaten up by bullies in high school count as being in a fight?

It would if he had done anything but stand around and get pummeled. Even though that also describes his current situation pretty well, at least he is trying to fight back now. I think what I mean is, gently caress Woli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was also about 300 chapters ago that Ippo stopped developing as a boxer. Now we don't even get vague references to the completed dempsey roll.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Maybe if Ippo lost he would also lose his current complacent attitude. His only strategy for quite some time has been to train and fight like he always does. That's really drat boring.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This already happened during the rookie tournament, though. The guy who could have easily beaten Ippo with a technical win started exchanging blows instead. However, that was a rookie boxer getting too excited and making a mistake, not a deliberate strategy by a supposedly competent coach. In short, the whole situation is retarded.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this fight and the Gedo fight are seriously the only ones I didn't like of the entire manga, though

Even Takamura's last fight where he almost lost because he forgot how to box?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Was there ever any explanation for why Kamogawa didn't let Ippo spar with Itagaki?

It was implied that Ippo would lose, what with the time stop bullshit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Itagaki vs. Goku.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

Ippo and Itagaki do spar at one point, and Ippo gets his rear end handed to him but then it's hinted that he smokes Itagaki.

Man, Ippo got so drat high from that. Smoking dat poo poo'll gently caress you up, but in a good way. Unless you mean a different kind of smoking, which is certainly possible given Ippo's gynophobia.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Nah, the decline will only start when Ippo buys a tiger for his giant mansion.

...A Naniwa Tiger! :rimshot:

Are you saying Ippo would keep Sendo as his gay love slave? I call bullshit- everyone knows Ippo is a bottom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
However, the new Dempsey Roll hasn't been mentioned in about 300 chapters and wasn't even hinted at during the pre-match training. Ippo never wins by pulling new moves out of his rear end; that's reserved for Miyata because he is a ~genius~. If it ever appears at all it will be during the world ranking matches.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They could always change the focus of the series to shounen fishing. Of course, the Makunouchi family business isn't so much fishing as it is transporting passengers, but that is a minor problem. They could even keep Miyata as Ippo's rival, only now with a supersonic reeling technique or something (I don't actually know anything about fishing).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One of the major problems with the series now is that Ippo doesn't even seem to want to challenge Martinez. His only goal was to get sweaty with Miyata, and ever since that fell through he has just been treading water with terrible fights. Ippo hasn't been growing as a boxer for the last 1/3 to 1/4 of the manga. Of course, he hasn't grown as a character for much longer than that, but anything on that end is probably dependent on Kumi so I don't care as much. As lovely as this match is, it would become worthwhile if being smacked around and dominated by racist jungle magic fighting got Ippo to move forward a bit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

Some folks just cling to a bad series and have no taste :( Defend it until the bloody, horribly-told end.

See: Naruto

I honestly prefer an evil old bastard slapping Sasuke around while accurately calling him a failure to monkey magic bullshit that never ends. Not that one awesome minor character really makes up for all the problems that series has, but considering how bad HnI has been for the last couple of years it is probably best to avoid comparing them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

So if Ippo is hadoken'ing it up, is Woli like Blanka? :confused:

He is like Blanka in that it would be fun to see him subjected to electric shocks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

When History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi has more believable fights, you know the Ippo manga has fallen.

I'd like to think that the Elder could beat Woli, but I've gotta say it is looking pretty unlikely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The most obvious opponent is another hard puncher who uses the dempsey roll. Naturally, Ippo would gently caress up at some point, take it full on and then keep fighting til he wins. Alternately, he could fight a series of lame gimmick opponents who are all described as geniuses while remaining at roughly the same skill level.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Your AV looks like Ippo after the brain damage cripples him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I finally figured out how Ippo will beat Woli! Every single opponent Ippo has ever had including Miyata will all enter the ring at the same time and gang up on Woli. After 14 grueling hours Woli will then get bored and concede.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This thread is now powered by hatred, and as such is much stronger than it used to be.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Woli is a foreigner without a tragic backstory. I'm not sure why anyone would like him unless they thought he was attractive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Woli could beat Takamura.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Jumping on the "I want Ippo to die" bandwagon. Just get it over with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kumi is just Ippo's beard. She has barely been relevant to the story since she was first introduced, aside from that one time Mashiba went apeshit but still lost against on her behalf.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The manga might be terrible now, but this thread is great. Threads born of hatred are the best kind.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

:( I just want it to be interesting again. Is that so much to ask?

Woli says: Yes, yes it is. Excuse me while I go levitate using monkey magic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Wow, Woli is a genius. Ya, just chilling here, ignoring gravity. Been taking some ninja temp classes, you know.

Gravity? That image perfectly encapsulates this fight I think.

Oh lord, everyone in the audience just looks so disgusted.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing Ippo will stay standing through the entire fight, and then the judges will give him the win on points because he is a japanese champ in Japan fighting a foreigner.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ippo's sort of unique in that boxing is a pure sport (with magical monkey powers), and there is virtually no fighting outside the ring. Most martial arts shounen emphasizes fighting over official matches. What little I managed to watch of Ashita no Joe (the other big boxing classic, but painfully archaic) involved Joe beating the living gently caress out of yakuza. Even Prince of Tennis has those hilarious scenes where they take on roving thugs using tennis.

I can't think of any other pure sports shounen series that involve fighting, while most fighting shounen series don't have much to do with the sport. It would help if you clarified which you are looking for- sports or fighting manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kenichi is a hilarious shounen fighting series that only vaguely based on real martial arts. I love it dearly, but it isn't much like HnI when it was good.

Kenji is a sort of weird manga about a kid learning chinese martial arts who at one point subs in for his school's boxing club and wins with a dempsey roll (a.k.a. 'shovel hook'). A lot of it is about the philosophy and history of kung fu, though.

Also, take that you fuckin' endangered species! You should have known better than to attack a bunch of tennis players.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I care about football to the exact same degree that I care about boxing (not at all), so it couldn't hurt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've started on Slam Dunk, and while it hasn't really grabbed me it is decent thus far. Considering it actually has an ending I'm sure it will get better eventually.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I tried reading Slam Dunk and just couldn't get into it. I can't find basketball interesting no matter how hard I try :( Eyeshield 21 is pretty cool, though, largely because of the variety of unique characters.

I hear ya. I've struggled through 100 chapters of Slam Dunk so far and it is boring the gently caress out of me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Infinitum posted:

New chapter is out.

Woli is boxing upside down from the ceiling.

That's fake. Actually, Woli looked at the full moon through a window and turned into a giant ape.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think an anime filler opponent could possibly be this bad. Well, maybe if Woli's siblings appeared and were annoying little shits to Ippo before the match. There are only so many ways this arc could have been worse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I predict that Ippo's mother will jump into the ring and reveal herself as a legendary female luchadore. She will easily dispatch Woli and then train Ippo from scratch in the art of mexican wrestling. In this new world Ippo will discover a new love interest... err, rival I mean, in Mashiba's long lost brother who looks exactly like him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

An Outland Dish posted:

That seems a bit more accurate at this point. I didn't know it was possible to make the overall quality sink this low after just a few chapters.

Let's be fair, it didn't have that far to fall after Gedo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I honestly don't know which outcome would be worse at this point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Woli loses now it will be because he makes a mistake. Ippo winning by being a better boxer is flat out impossible now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If you open your fist in someone's mouth you will supposedly permanently disfigure if not kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Doomclown posted:

Not as big as their hard-on for people who have no talent other than taking ridiculous amounts of punishment despite their wimpy appearance.

You are supposed to sympathize with anyone who gets beaten to a pulp. That's why villains tend to go down in under 5 successful attacks after beating the hero into a bloody mess. That is somewhat less true for Ippo of course, in that there are very few if any actual villains other than Mori.