Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So it's really looking like Woli might lose due to injuring/tiring himself out? Excellent, then Ippo's parallel with the boxing career of Homer Simpson shall be complete.

So when Ippo is fighting Martinez and getting absolutely killed, Kamogawa will fly into the ring and carry him to safety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Only thing left is have it be the main character be the youngest member of the middle school golf club and they just have to win Nationals because it's the captain's last chance.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Itagaki is so fast that due to relativistic time dilation his punches also knock out Aoki and Kimura when they fight later. Then the series ends, because punches at the speed of light have infinite mass and the shock from the impact wipes out the city.

Sue me, it has been over a decade since I've taken a physics course.

So it's the boxing equivalent to the Chaos Dunk?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 912 out.

Not much happens, Kimura and Aoki win their matches and Itagaki puts on a nice rape face.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I never noticed any contest. What other entries were there?

I mean, whatever group is doing Ippo right now does a plenty good enough job.

Here's a link

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

I hope his "weakness" is something stupid like "You're still in Japan, move your rear end to the world stage already, God!"

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New chapter out.

Even the coach agrees, the past 6 years have been a waste.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New chapter out.

Punching: The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

I really hope Saeki wins.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New chapter.

Yay, Itagaki's losing. Please let his stubbornness cost him the match.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Oh hey, a new chapter.

Itagaki's still losing. Still stupid.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They reference a lot Japanese boxers that I can't remember and had never heard of and a few other boxers.

Was Mowgli from the Jungle Book a boxer? It's been a while since I've seen the movie.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Look who's got a new chapter. Will this be a turning point for the manga?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 981 is out.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1001

So close to doing the thing. Will his Samurai Wolf Spirit win the day? Better find out next chapter.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

It's been a while, but chapter 1005 is out

spoiler]It's a strange new direction for the story to take, with Volg dying in the ring and Ippo vowing revenge inside the ring or not. Also, Takamura becoming a Sumo Yokozuna was rather hilarious. The manga was getting stale, so I'm interested in seeing where this will go.[/spoiler]

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1015 and Chapter 1016 are out.

What will come out on top, Japanese Samurai Spirit or Mexican Machismo? With all this talk of his left, he's got to have some other trick up his sleeve.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

I had assumed it was going to end with Takamura getting all the belts he wanted but at this rate that will take a very long time. Maybe Ippo takes the belt, fights his friends, changes weight class or something. I was wondering about the same thing.

I say Ippo wins the belt big celebration and all that, and as he's going to sleep after hours of partying a freak lightning storm hits a Famicom and traps Ippo in a copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Can Ippo fight his way past the likes of King Hippo and Bald Bull to reach the dream match and freedom?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

While the forums were dead, Ippo 1053 and Ippo 1054 came out.

Ippo got punched some more and both sides are removing the limiters.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1064 and Chapter 1065 are out.

Yeah, don't go back to the style that was kicking your opponents rear end, stick with this one that's getting you hit. Obviously the half-dead guy will be able to overcome the old way when he couldn't in his best condition.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1077 is out

Yeah, more Takamaru fights. Hopefully it won't dickpress.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1078 is out.

Takamura is still great.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1081 is out

Sendo and Mashiba brawlin' is great. You know things are going in the right direction when someone brings out the folding chair.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1083 is out.

Mashiba fails to pull off a Takamura and win a match in 5 seconds. Lets see if the Grim Reaper can pull it together or if his opponent is secretly a Belmont.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1084 is out

Smiling skull on page one and smiling Mashiba on the last were both nice.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1087 is out.

You'd need one of the smartest tacticians in the world to come up with "punch your opponent but don't get punched back"

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Jose posted:

its not like the dialogue in ippo really matters

But how will I know if Takamura is making a dick pun?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1099 and :siren: 1100 :siren: are out

That face when the coach asks him if he has a plan. Takamura is always the best

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapters 1105 - 1108 got released.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Sendo is much better at this romance thing than Ippo. Last chapter love interest gets introduced, this chapter Sendo invites her to live with him.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Bisse posted:

Hmm... w.. what was that... what was that just now...? That feeling...

I.. I think... I moved my body like this... and my fist... like thiswhoaWHOAMOMMAOHMYGOD!!! A... a punch came out!! In an upwards motion!!

/ Boxing genius at work

To be fair, we make fun of Ippo for taking A LOT of blows to the head. Him being a tad slow is to be expected. He's trying his darnedest.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

2 more chapters out. What a surprise.

After all this time, the new evolved Dempsey Roll in action. How long was it from it being hinted/said was a thing to finally happening?

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 2, 2016

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1150

Don't tease the old man if you can't give him a happy ending - Takamura to Ippo.

Also, nice callback to an old joke.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1152 is out.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Law Cheetah posted:

they are both judged too damaged to ever fight again and are forced to quit boxing forever.

ippo's physical state continues deteriorating even in the absence of further boxing damage, rendering him unable to take over makonouchi fishing. his mother is forced to care for him for the rest of his life.

takamura, no longer having a focus in his life and without any other marketable job skills, while also lacking the temperament necessary to become a full time boxing coach, reverts back to a life of hooliganism and petty crime. he is homeless within two years and in jail within five. still full of pride, he rejects the help of his wealthy family

with the only two talented boxers that have ever passed into his care utterly destroyed by his archaic training methods, kamogawa takes responsibility by blowing his brains out in the basement of his failed boxing gym

the end

Please, that is highly unrealistic.

Where's Kamogawa get a gun? He's in Japan, not the good ol' US of A. He probably hangs himself.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

two new chapters out

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapters 1161-1163 are out.

It seems Ippo is not broken, for now anyways. Also, some nice coach butt.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1164 is out.

The reason you come to Hajime no Ippo, Takamura :dong:. Anyway, Ippo is Top Man now. But is he actually broken? The last page hints at things..

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm catching up on the chapters, and this part where Ippo wears weight bands is funny. Don't those actually gently caress up your joints or something in reality (if you wear them constantly especially) instead of making you stronger? Also it's going to be pretty absurd is 1 week of wearing them gives Ippo some big power-up, since 1 week of literally any exercise isn't going to do jack poo poo.

If its works for our lord and savior Goku, it'll work for Ippo.

Just before Ippo faces the world champ, he enters the hyperbolic time chamber. Calling it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

New Year, new chapters. 1165 and 1166 are out.

Not much going on, Ippo is still probably not punch drunk, Takamura is still nude, Kumi is still worried. Coach is off doing training because the new dempsy rolll is THAT good.