Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Big L posted:

877:I feel this chapter is the "turning point" of the fight and that Ippo will start beating Woli (somehow).

Pretty please :ohdear:

I'm hoping something will happen next chapter :dance: If not, Ippo will at least see what to do (he is aware of Vorg's corner advice now), prior to getting his clock cleaned one more time, and he'll do it again later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

I know I've a long way to go but I'm reading this from the beginning. Currently on chapter 69, looks like Ippo and Miyata are going to face each other in the Finals of the Rookie King Tournament. Great story so far.

The scanslations are pretty laughable at first. SnoopyCool didn't start picking up its quality until a ways later. Then they stopped around, like, GN 40 or 50 for the longest god drat time. Then IgnitionOne said "gently caress you" and did it on their own.

Also, the artwork changes shitloads. Once you get further along, jump back 10 GNs or so. He definitely alters his style regularly.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

GN = Graphic Novel, sorry. Ippo has over 80GNs by this point, for reference.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

It's the same thing as a graphic novel :v: A shitload of comic books compressed in to a book. Typically much higher quality than crappy ol' 20-30 page comics.

No need to nitpick about it, but I've been calling them graphic novels ever since I started reading them way-back-in-the-day.

Geop fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 16, 2009

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Seriously this is like arguing over "nakama" in the One Piece thread

Either one is perfectly acceptable, although I wouldn't have used GN instead of the actual term just because even most comic dudes don't call them GN, they usualyl refer to them as trades

I'm way too cool and non-mainstream for such jargon :cool: I just grappled on to the term because joints I bought it from (online or in-person) classified it under Manga/Graphic Novels.

Seriously, tankoban and "trades"? Never heard of either, guys! :confused: And I've been doing manga poo poo for, christ, over 13 years. Ranma ½, sup. Now I feel old.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, we were supposed to get 878 this week :confused: It'd better have something good happen, because after 878, we don't get Ippo for two weeks. Then we get a chapter. Then two more weeks without. Such is the holiday season :smith:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

18 page spread where it starts off just showing Woli's face on the left page and slowly shows Ippo's glove appearing and moving towards it from the right page, concluding with it graphically showing Woli's face get distorted by the glove and his retainer getting knocked out.

A flip-motion comic! :woop: I'd go forward and in reverse for hundreds of times~

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

18 pages of 15 panels each, intricately detailing the effects of each blow on Woli's body, down to the bones breaking and individual brain cells dying.

I'm dreading the next popularity poll because what if Woli is suddenly super popular and he comes back for some kind of rematch :(

I don't see why Woli would be well-liked :( Then again, the Japanese do have rather, uh, questionable tastes.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Good, I like him :)

On Chapter 183, hope Ippo beats Date but I think he is overdue for his first loss..

Someone actually LIKED Geromichi? :confused: He bugged the loving hell out of me until you see him again.

The manga is pretty awesome, man. And most of the irritation comes from being caught up with the series. I re-read Ippo's fight prior to this one, and when you can go through it in one sitting, it really isn't bad at all. Although, I think for the past 100-200 chapters, it hasn't been as good as earlier ones. I'm sure that Mori is just having an odd transition, and has a few good ideas on the horizon. Getting to them is just a bit bumpy.

I hope that's the case :ohdear:

But Woli's fight will be one of those that is just a pain to read, even if it is one sitting. He's been god-moding the fight thus far, and his character is just irritating.

Jose --
No worries. I'm sure that by the time we hit the Martinez fight, Ippo will finally give her his first hug :downs:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

tazman posted:

You will come to worship Takamura.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

What a loving fight. Sendo, Ippo, they both could have won that. drat hell of a combo at the end. Really hope to see Sendo back in the future, I hope he continues on in the future.

I sort of want to see Takamura fight his world fight really bad right now. On chapter 269, got a loooong way to go still.

Sendo is one of the characters you see repeatedly in the future, along with Mashiba and Miyata :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jedah posted:

I'm glad goodvisiontoucan is reading the manga, brings back memories. Talking about the old glory days of Ippo are far more exciting than the current slop. It's like old dudes in a barber shop talking about Ali or Foreman fights in their prime.

At least if they animate Ippo again the next series of fights will be very good ones.

Takamura's voice actor confirmed in a blog entry not too long after New Challenger ended that he was approached for a follow-up series. So there will be more :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, Hammer Nao bugged me. I also get upset as to how Takamura's observations are like god-moding.

WOW HE'S BEATING THE PISS OUT OF GEROMICHI

Yeah, it's because he doesn't want to fight him :colbert:

What? :confused:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sindai posted:

What's a simultaneous punch? Punching with both arms at once? That's got to be weak as hell.

Aoki would like a word with you :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sindai posted:

Man are your faces gonna be red when it turns out Woli has a prehensile dick.
:gonk:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Why would you spoil that for me?

And I'm really pulling for Aoki in his title fight :)

What did you think of Kimura's? I loved that match :3:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Maybe if he takes enough brain damage Ippo will finally stop being a cowardly dipshit and actually do something about his relationship with Kumi. Or Miyata. Either one works, really. However, the only people who have had actual relationships in the entire manga were Aoki and Gen. That's just sad.

How long have Ippo and Kumi been "dating" by this point, in the Ippo-verse? Two or three years? :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

L.E. Cheetah posted:

This also makes Ippo, what, a 24 year old virgin?

Has he even kissed anybody?

Of course! It's all so clear now! He's a goon! :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, I love how he soared through 600+ chapters going "YES YES" now it's "gently caress."

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jedah posted:

Can't imagine just breezing through the Gedo fight and RBJ fight. They might almost be likable fights if you could just mindlessly click through 'em, and hope for better things to come.

New Chapter, 879 is out:
http://uploading.com/files/mc47df6c/Hajime879.zip/

Ugh. Why don't those uploaders use something convenient like Rapidshare or Megaupload :mad: Downloading 14MB at 35k/sec is agonizing. I wanna know what happens :argh:

879 spoilers:
gently caress Morikawa. Ippo goes in to a tight peekaboo stance, biting his thumbs like he did waaaay in the beginning. Woli springs around the ring all god-mode-like. loving ridiculous as usual. Woli easily dodges Ippo's blows, until Miguel screams some order then "GO!" Following that, Woli plants his feet and almost seems to welcome an infight. It seems like he takes up a Hitman style and shoots out flickers kind of like Mashiba, per what happened earlier. If I had to guess, maybe Miguel is thinking that Ippo is nearing the end and it is time to finish it. That or Miguel, for some reason, thinks it is safe for Woli to practice a duel with Ippo's wreckingball fists.

Ippo closes in, takes a hook to the face, tries a straight, which, of course, is dodged. Ippo tries a left straight again and is met with a pretty brutal cross-counter. Immediately after, Ippo tightens his abdominal muscles, shrugs off the pain, and lunges inward just in time for Woli to shoot out a follow-up blow. Ippo takes the hit in the face from an uncomfortable angle (was probably too shallow to do much damage), and as the chapter ends, Ippo's left arm is seen swinging a hook toward Woli's body.

Basically, we'll have to wait two weeks before finding out if Coach's retarded strategy of exchanging hits will work. Woli seems completely unaware of the body-blow coming toward him, but it wouldn't surprise me if he just somehow materialized in to air and the punch did no damage at this point.

The shark has been jumped, big time. About 200 chapters and counting :mad:

Geop fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 28, 2009

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Whelp, from what I've read of others, here's the plan:

He went in to Mashiba's style, which might very well be a favorite. Second time he has shown the same style. Like Mashiba, it has the same weaknesses. UNLIKE Mashiba, though, he probably won't cheat to deal with the repercussions. His torso is wide open, so Ippo is aiming to break a few ribs with his hook. If he could do that, Woli's stamina and mobility would drop like a rock. After that, it's a matter of Ippo stripping the bones.

That is, if this were logical. Which it isn't. Mori needs to pull out a Takamura-Hawk esque bout to redeem itself at this point. I'm still reading in hopes of such a thing :argh:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The manga needs another training arc. Ippo for the longest time has just gone "whelp, time to rest. Another fight? Okay." In the past, he'd train and noticeably improve core muscles or improve himself as a boxer via new Sunday punches.

I enjoyed the training arcs, personally :mad: Need more of those.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

If this horseshit goes on longer than a Sendou bout..

OH BUT IT WILL... :mmmhmm:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jedah posted:

Miyata's ribs got busted in the fight with Randy, and he suffered many other injuries too. Frankly, I thought Miyata showed Ippo-like endurance after he took such a severe beating. So he needs to recover for a while, and may need to change weight classes. Not sure why he's still at Featherweight, really, since he presently doesn't seem determined to fight Ippo.

Miyata has always had Ippo-scale endurance in his fights abroad. His bouts with Crocodile Arnie and Sisfa ended with him practically half-dead :smith:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, what? So he basically tells him to stop using a winning strategy and take a huge unnecessary risk? That's lame. Even if/when Ippo wins, it'll only be because Woli's coach gave him dumb instructions.

The "world class" coaches aren't that awesome in this manga :(

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

where are you guys getting the new chapters? neither 788 or 789 are up on onemanga and I can't find them with google.

For scanslated chapters, go here:
Ignition-One

For the raws, go to westbound.proboards.com (see bottom of those scans), and there is a subforum for chapter discussion. Raws are uploaded there.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

trucutru posted:

Next opponent: A Native-American boxer who is fighting to protect his tribe! He has been training by knocking out charging buffaloes (The Tatanka straight!). He also has a spirit second that coaches him mid-fight.

This actually sounds like something Mori would do at this point :smith: There's no way in hell Ippo will hit him. Dunno what crap Woli will do, but it won't work. I can't think of the last time a situation like this came up and the next chapter came up with Ippo hitting the dude. It always has happened midways or nearing the end of the chapter. The pacing seems proper for a god-mode twist and Mori going "DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING, DID YA?? :buddy:"

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kind of makes me wonder what the hell the perfected Dempsey Roll would be. What he did against Sawamura is nice and all, but it would tear the loving hell out of his knees and ankles. Is he just magically gonna be able to do that at some point with no chance of injury?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Gonna read it in the morning. Uploading takes forever for me. But I read the description, and it's really laughable. This manga has shitballed it so fast.

Geop fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 11, 2010

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah. It sucks when Ippo is getting creamed by an underdog :(

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The only way this fight can redeem itself is if Ippo goes berserk mode a la Takamura in his Hawk bout. Goes berserk and beats the living piss out of Woli. That would be quite nice :v: I can see what Mori is trying to do. He's trying to do a parallel to Kamogawa's bout with Sanders, but that was so much better. Sure, it's impossible for Ippo to fight someone who is several weight classes above him, but at least put him against somebody who is a way tougher than he is. Some dude who goes "oh, he hits harder than everyone I've been up against. Buuuut it's not enough!" It's just so aggravating to see Woli dodge EVERY loving SWING.

It'd be easier to swallow if Woli wasn't a three-bout newbie. I hate bouts where the regular crew at the gym go "oh well Ippo's going to win so easily because blah blah :smuggo:" before they even start the fight. I miss the days where Ippo was up against some monster and everyone would just go "lol ur fuked ippo".

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm pretty sure this would be better than whatever Mori has planned.

... but even if it wasn't, I want this to happen anyway.

Gonna turn out that Ippo has been holding back. NOW I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO RAISE UP MY POWER LEVELAAAUUUUUGHHHH :black101:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Of course, nerds in japan are probably like nerds here, which means if it blows they keep reading it just to complain.
Some folks just cling to a bad series and have no taste :( Defend it until the bloody, horribly-told end.

See: Naruto

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Just re-read a chapter or two. Hoping that Ippo lands a Gazelle Punch counter on Woli mid-jump :v: That would be an awesome KO. That's some Street Fighter poo poo right there, mang.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

So if Ippo is hadoken'ing it up, is Woli like Blanka? :confused:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

What? Wait, wait. That was IT? Excluding the promo page and the title/cover page, it was EIGHT loving pages.

Also, Mori, you are a cocksucker.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Infinitum --
What about that dude Ippo fought before he took a stab at Sisfa? :v: The guy was supposed to be some awesome up-and-comer, and Ippo realistically steamrolled him.

Then he probably got hit in the head with a bat a few times and became boxing-retarded once more :arghfist:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

This manga needs more Vorg staring at random gravestones, looking stoic & solemn, quoting Russian poetry.

And borscht. Lots of it :v: No bananas.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Wow. How many times must they say TEAR MY FLESH, PULVERIZE HIS BONE?

On the plus side, I'm glad that Ippo is still thinking as opposed to "WHAT DO I DO gently caress gently caress gently caress MIYATAAAAAA ;_;" or some poo poo. It seems even Miguel is a bit jarred by Ippo's stamina. I think the tables will finally turn in the next chapter. Might explain why it was cut so short, honestly. He wants to end the next chapter with some sort of revelation or blow being landed.

Yeah right.

:(

Geop fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Phallacracy posted:

woli is going to be champion of japan

deal with it :smug:

Woli's going to take a shoryuken to the kisser. In chapter 950.

Watch :colbert: