Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

898:

Karasawa was a neat opponent with good backstory if I recall right. He was hyped up as a new-wave champion, and Ippo completely wrecked him. As someone on I-O forums said, I hope that Itagaki tries rushing too much and either wears himself out or makes no progress. He probably won't lose, sadly, but I want him to get a reality check, badly. It's silly in itself to try and compare his results versus Ippo's, particularly because they're different boxer types entirely. Itagaki is big on counters and speedy moves whereas Ippo is rush-and-smash, using his head as a weapon against his oppponents' fists.

That was the last truly awesome fight of Ippo's. I hope that his second appearance isn't sullied by god-moding :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

No clue, but I'm pretty sure that Mashiba is seven feet tall :shobon:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The Karasawa bout was in the 600s, I think. Definitely one of my favorite bouts of the series. Ippo completely dominates Karasawa who was hyped up as the true guy to finally slaughter Ippo. To make it even better, it wasn't some fake sort of god-moding a la Woli. Ippo prepares and such for everything and it plays in his favor, big time.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

trucutru posted:

Wow, I just checked and the Karazawa fight happens around chapter 580 (The thing I remember the most about it was that Aoki, Kimura and Superboy had the shits after eating something Takamura bought in one of his trips). That was like 6 years ago!

Edit: Jesus! Aoki was still broccoman and Snoopycool was releasing the chapters.
SnoopyCool released some only after another group stepped in and released 20+ volumes. For some reason, SC hit a road block around Sawamura and didn't get moving until these other goons kicked out all those graphic novels. No clue what quality SC's stuff was in at that point :ohdear: They were so horrid starting off.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Oh yeah. 899 raw came out yesterday :v:

Looks like it ends right when the three fighters get to the Hall for their matches. A rather, uh, rushed time-gap. Or was this supposed to happen RIGHT AFTER Ippo's stuff? Anyhow, Itagaki, as predicted, is flustered by his goal. He's focusing on offense too much and is getting knocked around in spars. But we all know he'll go godmode early on and bullet time the hell out of Karasawa :arghfist:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Judging by how he vaulted in to this, I'm inclined to believe that the three matches will be over in a few chapters (Itagaki will be 99% of it. Aokimura will get individual pages or something).

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Forest Fuckery posted:

Calling it now, Itagaki is putting the bar too high and thus he will gently caress up horribly.
Hoping it comes to a decision, and he's left feeling all :negative:-like

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Incredulous Dylan posted:

i had never read this series until two weeks ago, always thinking it would be boring

i am just starting chatpter 184 and it has been one of the most unbelievable buildups to something i have ever read. the last page of 183 would have made waiting to read 184 unbearable. I haven't even hit the ring yet in 184 and it is already so tense it is insane
:3: Warms my heart to see newer folks' reactions to the series.

The Date fight is definitely one of the highlights of the series. You're in for a treat :dance: And no need to spoiler that stuff. We're caught up to chapter 900 in here for cryin' out loud :shobon:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

901 Raw is up:

Whole chapter covers the start of the fight. The first ten seconds :gonk: Looks like we figured; Itagaki's head isn't in the game. He lands a few on Karasawa, but he doesn't seem bothered by it. Adding to it, Itagaki keeps eyeballing the clock. He's going to either get his bell rung or this'll string along to a decision. If he pulls this off and beats Ippo's time with this half-assed approach, then I'll really be upset. It's not impossible, but it'd just be... Well... Wrong.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The raw is.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

pnumoman posted:

My guess is that Itagaki's gonna get his rear end beat, get real dejected from not achieving his goal, and this is all a setup for him to leave the gym a la Miyata, especially since he has a hard-on for beating Ippo whether he admits it or not. In short, Ippo drives away all talent from the gym, except for Takamura.
Kind of a possibility. I'd hate to see it simply because it'd be Woli 2.0 whenever he and Ippo fight. If he were to leave, though, he'd probably hop on over to Mashiba's gym. Who knows? Maybe the dude at Kamogawa's gym (mustache dude. For some reason I forgot his name. Shinoda?) will leave with him as his trainer :confused: It is kind of echoing that fella who was under Date at his gym. Y'know, he worshiped the ground Date walked on and never really tried to surpass him or challenge him. At least Itagaki is distantly challenging Ippo.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

frabba posted:

I want 3d holoIppo :smith:
Same here :ohdear: That thing looks so nifty. And this is coming from a goon with zero anime collectibles.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Oh. 902's Raw came out a while back, and there is at least a script translation on I-O's forums.

Itagaki is making a joke of Karasawa, both in speed and apparently technique. Out of nowhere, Itagaki pulls off the neck-twist move that Date used against Ippo in order to reduce damage from his punches.

Evidently, though, Karasawa had a habit of being easily read in the past, prior to Sanada stepped in. Made it easy to see when he was panicking and stuff. Sanada has beaten that habit out of him, and he keeps a game face much better at this point. The fact that he's taken two full-force counters and just shrugged them off (from Itagaki's viewpoint) is part of that. At the end of the chapter, Karasawa basically says that it's time for him to take things up a notch, since their speeds are way too mis-matched.

I've hated Itagaki a lot, particularly for god-moding. At this point, it almost feels like Itagaki is the bad guy fighting a lovable protagonist. I want Karasawa to win :mad: Very much so at this point. Certainly doesn't help that Itagaki is springing around a la Woli. Makes me want to see him tarred and feathered even more. Ugh.

Anyhow, the inner-monologue by Karasawa (showed by the miniature versions of him talking near his head :3:) are just an indicator that he won't be fodder in this case. He was built up a such a badass opponent, and trained so hard, but Ippo ripped him apart. I don't want to see that happen again, especially against a goon like Itagaki.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Why do folks still bother linking OneManga when this joint is guaranteed to have 'em? :(

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

Just wanted to give OM the proper send off. :smith:
Oh. Sorry :ohdear:

But yeah, Itagaki is just coming off as a bad guy in this fight. I always liked Karasawa. Even though Ippo made a mockery of him, he was an awesome character. He'd better not end up as fodder, but as Itagaki's wake-up call. In the sense that the ROOKIE SENSATION loses and is put in his place. Then again, it feels like they want Saeki and Itagaki to fight or something :(

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

903 raw is up.

gently caress yes.

Chapter rolls along with the two of them throwing out exchanges. Past a point, Itagaki is almost playing with him. He repeatedly lands good counters on Karasawa's face, and even does a pretty solid feint. He sees the clock is nearing a minute left in the first round, and he decides to try closing it in a hurry. He then slips in to MIYATA-KUN~~'s signature Jolt stance. Following this, Karasawa punches at Itagaki once more, and it does a wide-view of Kourakuen. Last page shows that Karasawa managed to somehow nail Itagaki, making the Jolt backfire. Chapter ends with Itagaki's rear end on the canvas.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Cowboy posted:

Nevermind, Looks like Itagaki is gonna win.
Probably :smith: This is just a reality check

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

905 Raw is up. I-O seems stalled on their scanslations.

Well, it seems that Karasawa has hit his stride. He has a game-face on, and Itagaki seems intimidated. Itagaki notices the time left in the round, gets greedy, and tries to take him down so he can beat Ippo's time. Karasawa seems to end up wrecking Itagaki's range an rhythm the whole while, making an absolute mockery of his usual god-moding.

He seems to be copying lots of folks at this point. He pulled out a Jolt earlier, and in this chapter, he tries a Hitman stance (only to get his bell rung in turn). Finally, he attempts a Dragon Fish Blow (a la Kimura vs Mashiba), but the contact ends up on Karasawa's forehead, which isn't the best place to aim for when punching. Some folks are saying that he broke his fist, but I seriously doubt that. If he broke his fist, you would've seen some X-ray shot, and he'd be bawling on the ground. He just hosed up his contact and tweaked his wrist pretty badly.

The round ends with Itagaki's right hand hosed up, and the momentum shifting to Karasawa. Itagaki is definitely going to win, given the mood, but he's getting taken down a few notches in the process.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

trucutru posted:

Why do I need to copy other people when I have GOD MODE!.
"Time for me to copy GOD :smuggo:"

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I hope Karasawa wins.
He won't =(

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

BOrangeFury posted:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE STRONG
On that note, I find it odd that Ippo still asks "what does it mean to be strong" when he has beaten a couple of dozen trained fighters more than half to death with his HANDS.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

906 Raw is up. Loosely translated based on what someone on I-O's main message board said.

Shinoda and the seconds in general seem to have it decided already that Itagaki isn't going to pull out a win, and Aokimura already basically went WELP, HE'S DONE. No word on what Takamura thinks (but he appears).

Round starts and Itagaki is getting tarred and feathered nonstop. He notices the time left in the round just as it passes the 2:30 mark, which Ippo beat Karasawa within. He tosses away his goal/pride and remembers how Ippo mentioned he hit Woli: hit once, build on that from there. Itagaki goes from OH GOD :gonk: to a rather serious expression, and the chapter ends.

Seems like it won't drag on terribly much longer, one would hope :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, I think he'll turn it around in the next chapter or two. He had his eyes set on some stupid goal, got greedy, and abandoned his usual style. Next chapter or two, he should start turning it around, unless Karasawa has another trick ready :v: Bear in mind that Ippo was outclassed in virtually every way (except experience). Itagaki just got greedy and finally snapped out of it. Come to think of it, has he ever come from behind to win? Maybe the Imae (his rival. I think that's his name) bout? Can hardly remember that fight, though.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

907 Raw is up.

Anyone who said they were enjoying the direction this was headed will be sorely upset. Itagaki just turned on god mode again.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

He runs circles around Karasawa, turns completely white, and the last panel shows Karasawa in the ring, but Itagaki is nowhere to be found.

He basically went Super Saiyan :v: Next chapter will probably start off with a Dragon-Chan style jump-kick

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

frabba posted:

908 raw is also out.

more godmoding bullshit
Yeah, I saw it the other day. Was so mad that I decided not to tell folks here, because I know it'd only bring rage. Ugh.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I don't even wanna touch it. Think I'll take an Ippo hiatus for a year or so <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Can't remember how long it's been, but I bailed on this series after the Woli story arc ended. Came back a few months ago to get the gist of his next opponent (browsed a few chapters). Just scanned through the previous 2-3. I really haven't missed much, it seems :( God drat.

Geop fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 27, 2011